• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family of 4 with a son in a wheelchair wish to walk Sarria to Santiago

Sunwalk

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
My daughter has wanted to walk the Camino since our family watched The Way. We would like to become pilgrims on the Sarria to Santiago portion of the Camino Frances and earn our Compostela. We are beginning to plan our trip for June 2017 following her high school graduation.

Our son, who will be 16 at the time, is handicapped and we will be pushing him in a sport, umbrella style wheelchair. First, I am trying to determine if this is possible, what the best route would be and if a tour company would provide the best option for our journey. Does anyone have suggestions of good tour companies? Other thoughts and experiences?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is certainly possible to do the camino in a wheelchair! Around 1-2 dozens of wheelchair pilgrims do it each year. A tour company is not really necessary, unless you do need to transport a lot of medical equipment for him along. Your best bet will be to buy a good Camino guidebook and concentrate on the sections/advice for pilgrims on a bike. Also do a forum search (top right corner) here for wheelchair, you will find a wealth of information already posted here. Buen Camino, SY

Welcome to the forum!
As SY has already said, tour company is not essential. You might like to consider using a baggage transport service to move a pack each day to relive the load for whoever is pushing the wheelchair.
These sites might be of use to you:
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances (scroll down to the relevant sections near the bottom)
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

And a distance calculator....http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

And the experience that may be of most encouragement to you of all that I have had...seeing pilgrims help a parent push a bike trailer with toddlers in it up a hill!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you would like a recommendation on a tour company, a group of us used Marly Camino to walk from Sarria to Santiago last April. They were wonderful. They're kind of high end, but the services they provide make the camino very easy and enjoyable. And if any of you are a little averse to the idea of sleeping in a room full of bunk beds with a whole bunch of people you don't know . . . . . . . as well as sharing meager bathroom facilities . . . . . . . .

Here is a brief list of some of the services they provide:
  • A guide (more of a manager, (s)he does not walk with you) - ours was fantastic, a wonderful fellow. Took care of everything, including the tending blisters and other pediological maladies
  • Nice private in-suite lodging in casa rurals with breakfast and dinner
  • A bus with a dedicated driver (ours was also a wonderful fellow) who, along with the guide, meets you several times during the day to ensure you are okay, provide water and snacks, and if anyone decides they can't go on for the day . . . .
  • Cell Phones for emergencies
  • Luggage transport (you only need small day packs, which they provide)
  • Guaranteed Botofumiero Swing (they pay the Cathedral to ensure it happens)
I could go on (and on), but I think you get the idea. I personally prefer the "regular" pilgrim way, but the other 5 people with me (well, the four ladies anyway) last April were NOT up for that type of camino; but they absolutely LOVED our camino with Marly.

I do not work for Marly Camino, nor do I derive any benefits for recommending them. I only do this because you asked about a tour company. Since it is your daughter that wants to walk the camino, there is the possibility that you might not be so keen on the whole "albergue" thing. ;) Also, they might be able to provide any needed assistance or advise required for your son

Best of luck with your planning and I hope you have a great and enjoyable camino.

http://marlycamino.com/

Last edited:
Some pilgrims in wheelchairs from that April Camino.

Attachments

• 2015-04-09 15.21.03.jpg
    2015-04-09 15.21.03.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2015-04-09 15.21.06.jpg
    2015-04-09 15.21.06.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015-04-09 15.21.10.jpg
    2015-04-09 15.21.10.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 26
Hopefully, you will stay in close contact with the good people here on this forum.
Ask questions as they occur to you and I am certain that you will receive advice that will enable you to make this come true.
I also advise against a "tour" company unless, as Sy points out, you need specialized care that you will not be able to provide.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello...It is very possible to push a wheelchair from Sarria to Santiago...I passed a man pushing a wheelchair through the Meseta between Burgos and Leon and that was dirt trail and you will be mostly on paved trails and roads...but I will warn you that there are several memorable hills with some great downhills...but it is also possible to receive a Compostela if you start in Ponferrada (200 KM from Santiago) and hire a horse or rent a three wheel bike for your son if that is possible...and also there are horses for hire at most of the memorable hill climbs if you need to hire a horse to help pull the wheelchair up hills...lastly I am also a permanently disabled person and I made it on a mountain bike from SJPDP to Muxia (I had not rode a bike for over 10-years before my Camino) and it was an experience that I will never forget...Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My daughter has wanted to walk the Camino since our family watched The Way. We would like to become pilgrims on the Sarria to Santiago portion of the Camino Frances and earn our Compostela. We are beginning to plan our trip for June 2017 following her high school graduation.

Our son, who will be 16 at the time, is handicapped and we will be pushing him in a sport, umbrella style wheelchair. First, I am trying to determine if this is possible, what the best route would be and if a tour company would provide the best option for our journey. Does anyone have suggestions of good tour companies? Other thoughts and experiences?
Did you make it? How did it go? Our 14 year old has an autonomic syndrome and we are hopeful she can walk, yet are trying to be prepared if we need to push her. Love to hear about your journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only real problem I can forsee may be acess to albergues, hotels, casa rurales, cafe/bars and restaurants. In towns should be no problem along the Camino perhaps not so easily solved.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back