• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family on the Camino

DrLisa

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2017)
We are a family from the US with daughters (11 and 7 years) who began our Camino in Saint Jean Pied de Port on Sept 4th. We hiked over the Pyrenees and have made it to Burgos, with our girls walking the whole way. What a fantastic experience this has been for all of us. We weren't sure we would make it this far, but my girls are loving it so we are gonna try and make it all the way to Santiago. I wanted to post for two reasons. 1. To thank so many of you who we have meet that have been SO encouraging! It means a lot to my girls when other pilgrims cheer them on. It is teaching them at a young age how amazing people from all over the world can be to each other. 2. Families!! Don't feel you can't come because you have kids. Sure you have to accommodate a little for smaller legs (we don't walk fast, we try and reserve private rooms...). But the Camino is a great place for kids as well!! Come enjoy Spain and let your kids find out just how strong they can be!
---
TMA: Fri Sep 22 2017 18:25:03 GMT+0200 (CEST).jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great post - thanks heaps! I'll bring my son with me one of these days, once he gets to be a little older (he's 5 at the moment)! It's always good to hear about the positive experiences of others when walking with family!

Bravo!! Love to hear when families walk together. Last year on the Frances I met an Aussie mom with her two kids and was blown away by their resilience and strength. Your girls will never forget this gift.
Ultriea!
elle

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good for you! As an old, solo walker I am always heartened when I see family groups on Camino. One of my best days was when my son flew from London to join me on the last leg of my 2016 Camino into Finisterre. Such a thrill! Buen Camino to you & your family.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What a special gift you are giving your daughters for them to see and experience Spain through the eyes of a child!

Your daughters are the same ages as my sister and I when we first lived in Spain. The Camino brought me back more than 50 years later. I have marveled at the changes through the years and in the many things that have not changed at all!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I have seen you and your family on several occasions, last being in Burgos 2 days ago.
I commented to my wife, how wonderful a family walking together. Absolutely beautiful and a wonderful grounding experience for your children.

Buen Camino and hope to see you again.

As a parent who plans on taking my children on the Camino next Spring, let me just say: Thank you for this post! I love to read about families on the Way, and while it seems pretty rare, the few posts I've seen from those who've done it have almost all been encouraging.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences if you get the chance.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife and I have seen you and your family on several occasions, last being in Burgos 2 days ago.
I commented to my wife, how wonderful a family walking together. Absolutely beautiful and a wonderful grounding experience for your children.

Buen Camino and hope to see you again.
Thank you!!

As a parent who plans on taking my children on the Camino next Spring, let me just say: Thank you for this post! I love to read about families on the Way, and while it seems pretty rare, the few posts I've seen from those who've done it have almost all been encouraging.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences if you get the chance.

Buen Camino!
Just make sure you have time (we have 7weeks) so you can take rest days and not feel the stress to keep moving. Or plan to skip parts, which is also fine. How old are your kids? That makes a difference as well. I think the hardest part for my kids has been that they haven't talked to other kids since we have been here. So having siblings helps!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just make sure you have time (we have 7weeks) so you can take rest days and not feel the stress to keep moving. Or plan to skip parts, which is also fine. How old are your kids? That makes a difference as well. I think the hardest part for my kids has been that they haven't talked to other kids since we have been here. So having siblings helps!!

I'm looking at tickets now; we'll probably have around 7 weeks or so as well. The plan is to be flexible and walk with the kid's pace, and not be hung up if we have to take taxis at some point. We're also planning to take a rest day every week or so.

Our son is 9 & our daughter is 6. I'm happy to see your youngest is close in age to our girl (even though there's a big difference between 6 & 7). I've heard of kids as young as 6 successfully walking the Camino, so I'm hopeful, but again we'll be flexible and will do what we have to. I'm actually worried more about him than I am about her; she's competitive and loves nothing more than to outdo her big brother, whereas he can get tired & cranky. They both love each other's company and love to play together, so I'm hoping not having playmates won't be a big deal.

Thanks again for your encouragement! I'm hoping next year we can add our 2 cents about how great it is to take to the Camino as a family!

-Jeff

You will be fine! The Camino is very accommodating, there aren’t many long hikes that you can take where kids can get ice cream and hot chocolates to keep them going. Plus there is so much for them to see, we spent yesterday in Leon at a traditional Spanish festival, they loved it! My husband and I were laughing the other day because we are old and this is getting harder and harder. But our kids (who have no injuries or blisters) are just getting stronger and stronger. I can’t keep up with my 11 year old any more. As soon as they realize they can make it and get over the mental challenge of walking everyday they will really hit their stride.
I would encourage you to get small packs for them, ours are 18 liters. It’s not heavy and won’t hurt their backs- but our girls love being able to carry some of their things. It’s important to feel like they are contributing what they can.
I’m blogging about our journey, that might be helpful. I don’t think I can post it on here, but I will try and post it over in the blog section.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back