• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family pedalling to Santiago

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks sil... I think their blog is just wonderful! And it is interesting to get the cyclist's perspective on the walkers!
Margaret

It is a charming blog but not all pilgrims feel the same about children on the camino. This was posted a few days ago by a young pilgrim:

CHILDREN. Grrrrrrrrr. I visited my friend Trinity before I left. She has two small boys, 1 and 2, and wants to walk the Camino BAD. She was wondering how old her boys have to be before they can go. I SAY SIXTEEN. Not a DAY less. I can´t quite make you understand how it feels to come off of 35km like we did today, and sit in the hot sun outside the albergue with the COMPLETO sign in the window, and watch 8 children under the age of 13 burst happily out of the albergue. But it´s something like murder. Today on the Camino, there was a family with a stroller and a four-year-old. I love my nephew, and I want him to have wonderful experiences, but the Camino is serious business to those of us who have been walking for a month. We don´t walk for 30 days to get to an albergue and see a bed taken up by a 6-year-old, or some obnoxious teenager who has no concept of what this pilgrimage really means. This may sound harsh, and I´m sorry. But I don´t think it´s fair that the available beds in an albergue can be decimated by a family with three or four children who started 40km ago and are ¨just out for a cheap walking holiday,¨ as Christa put it. It really sucks for us, and it doesn´t seem right. I´m not saying they should be sleeping in a gym like us, but we´re doing this thing for REAL, and the least we ask for is a bed. Kids don´t get this. We do. It´s been almost 800km. Give us the beds. Go to a hotel room with your family. Or wait until they´re old enough to appreciate this walk. Leave the albergues to the pilgrims.
Like I said, that may be harsh, but until you´ve walked 800km in my boots, please don´t judge me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sillydoll said:
We don´t walk for 30 days to get to an albergue and see a bed taken up by a 6-year-old, or some obnoxious teenager who has no concept of what this pilgrimage really means.

Whew!!

sillydoll said:
Like I said, that may be harsh, but until you´ve walked 800km in my boots, please don´t judge me.

Well, OK, I won't.

But I very VERY much don't agree. For a family to get out of the everyday round of plastic toys and TV, school and home with all their familiar routines and experiences, and embark on a journey in a new environment where they will be exposed to new concepts, challenges and culture, is every bit as REAL and worthy of respect as an adult struggling for 35 km and sitting in the hot sun.

I think this blog (the peddling pilgrims) is inspiring. The parents are not dragging unwilling children along on their adult agenda, but enabling the whole family to have an adventure together. They don't seem to have a religious motivation (nor do lots of others) and the camino is providing them with lots of opportunities for spiritual insights - (again, as it does for so many).

Please, everyone, don't disappoint me with lots of anti -children opinions - I can't believe it when pilgrims do that!

And I agree, Margaret, its refreshing to read descriptions of pilgrims from a different angle! (As a cyclist at my age and in my dress, I'm more of a walnut than a peanut, I think!)

Bridget and Peter - in your quotes you added "Sillydoll wrote". Sil didn't write those words - they were written by a young woman walking her first camino.
I forgive her because she has not yet had her own children and one day, when she has children, she might look back on her blog and learn a thing a two about herself!
When I read the diary of my first camino I realise what a naive, arrogant, ignorant, uninformed pilgrim I was. Hopefully this young lady will get the opportunity to walk it again. We are all evolving pilgrims and the camino can teach us many lessons.

Sil

I did realise that those weren't your views but I'm not clever enough to do a quote from a quote and didn't actually realise that it said 'Sillydoll wrote' and therefore looked as if those were your views until after I'd submitted it. (And I did see Omar (I think) instructing someone else on how to edit - but if I edit it now then Sil's post won't make any sense.....)

anyway - sorry!

Back to the peddling pilgrims - we once took 4 children aged 8 to 14 on a five day youth hostelling expedition cycling ('Six Go Sycling' in Sussex would have been the blog's title if we'd heard about such things then)and that seemed challenge enough so I'm totally amazed by these parents with their three under 7! (And the children's blogs are brill)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you read Cameron's blog, he talks of camping and staying at a Parador.

I did neither, so he certainly was not competing for MY bed!

Jenna Bush stayed at the Parador's. Maybe he got HER bed.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back