• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fanny pack/Bum bag...

C

Camino Chris

I love using a fanny pack (I've learned on this forum that this is the USA wording for "bum bags". Fanny packs were quite the rage (fashion) here in the 1990's and many people were using them. But with all fashion statements, they soon became obsolete and out of style after a few years and anyone caught wearing one was considered a "dork".

Well, I resurrected mine from the past (aka... my basement storage area) for my Caminos and love it! Fanny packs usually have several different zippered compartments and I use one of them for my passport, credit and debit card, and larger amounts of cash, after first securing them in a ziplock bag. My smartphone sits perfectly in the bigger zippered section. I can pull it out quickly to take my hundreds of photos along the way. Lastly there is a smaller section where I carry Ibuprophen (which I learned on this forum is really called Camino candy) in a little tin and also small amounts of cash. Everything is at my fingertips. I carry nothing of importance or true value in my backpack, (aka rucksack).

I wear my fanny pack all the time and only take it off to shower, but it still stays with me in my shower bag. At night I put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag, safe and cozy as I sleep.

I have a newer small over the shoulder, slashproof crime travel purse, but would not like dealing with the long strap while taking my pack on and off for daily multi rest breaks on the Camino. I also own a hidden slim money bag to be used under clothing, but find they don't hold much and get sweaty. Bottom line, I don't care if I'm a dork...I love fanny packs!

What do you carry for your valuables?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love using a fanny pack (I've learned on this forum that this is the USA wording for "bum bags". Fanny packs were quite the rage (fashion) here in the 1990's and many people were using them. But with all fashion statements, they soon became obsolete and out of style after a few years and anyone caught wearing one was considered a "dork".

Well, I resurrected mine from the past (aka... my basement storage area) for my Caminos and love it! Fanny packs usually have several different zippered compartments and I use one of them for my passport, credit and debit card, and larger amounts of cash, after first securing them in a ziplock bag. My smartphone sits perfectly in the bigger zippered section. I can pull it out quickly to take my hundreds of photos along the way. Lastly there is a smaller section where I carry Ibuprophen (which I learned on this forum is really called Camino candy) in a little tin and also small amounts of cash. Everything is at my fingertips. I carry nothing of importance or true value in my backpack, (aka rucksack).

I wear my fanny pack all the time and only take it off to shower, but it still stays with me in my shower bag. At night I put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag, safe and cozy as I sleep.

I have a newer small over the shoulder, slashproof crime travel purse, but would not like dealing with the long strap while taking my pack on and off for daily multi rest breaks on the Camino. I also own a hidden slim money bag to be used under clothing, but find they don't hold much and get sweaty. Bottom line, I don't care if I'm a dork...I love fanny packs!

I'm with you, except that I sleep with mine still around my waist. Mine is super dorky. Purchased it at Seaworld over 20 years ago. It's a strange green with SEAWORLD plastered across the front. Compliments my socks with sandals look and my scrunchy at the top of my braid. Now this attire was in 2013 and is planned for 2017, but if my 19 year old granddaughter who
is accompanying me is too offended, I might agree to a slight makeover.

I'm with you, except that I sleep with mine still around my waist. Mine is super dorky. Purchased it at Seaworld over 20 years ago. It's a strange green with SEAWORLD plastered across the front. Compliments my socks with sandals look and my scrunchy at the top of my braid. Now this attire was in 2013 and is planned for 2017, but if my 19 year old granddaughter who
is accompanying me is too offended, I might agree to a slight makeover.
Too funny! I'm pretty sure your dorkiness tops mine, which is a plain solid black.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hmm, fanny-pack - very visible 'here are all my valuables pack'. Probably cool on the Camino but I wouldn't rely on it in Madrid, Berlin, London or any place with a high predator population.

A discrete body belt for cash and those very few crucial documents makes sense. And beware of those "Beware of Pickpockets" signs, because everybody that sees them automatically checks their 'special' pocket :(

Hmm, fanny-pack - very visible 'here are all my valuables pack'. Probably cool on the Camino but I wouldn't rely on it in Madrid, Berlin, London or any place with a high predator population.

A discrete body belt for cash and those very few crucial documents makes sense. And beware of those "Beware of Pickpockets" signs, because everybody that sees them automatically checks their 'special' pocket :(
My fanny pack sits in front, is not huge and when wearing my back pack it looks even more discreet. My valuables are in a hidden zippered conpartment on its backside that cannot be seen from the front. I also own a money belt which I use in other international travels, but day after day on the Camino I prefer to avoid its damp sweatiness. I ONLY use my fanny pack on my Caminos and although I've flown into the Madrid airport twice, I've not visited the city itself. Thank you for the reminder to stay vigilant and aware of our surroundings in crowded situations.

I agree - it could be considered as a target for thieves. My best and most useful item for valuables on the Camino was a Scottevest - not cheap, but I now use it for any holiday. Only problem is that it has so many pockets that I forget where anything is!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree - it could be considered as a target for thieves. My best and most useful item for valuables on the Camino was a Scottevest - not cheap, but I now use it for any holiday. Only problem is that it has so many pockets that I forget where anything is!
One of my travel purses is like that...so many pockets and zippers I sometimes get frantic thinking I've lost the item I'm looking for! When I finally locate it (usually my wallet), I breathe a deep sigh of relief and mutter to myself "I hate this purse", only to use it again and have to repeat those same words each time...guess I need to donate it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what happened here, but I must have pushed a wrong button, cuz it threw my comment in with Larazet's. Oh well, I'm just learning how to use this forum.
It is easy to fix. Click on "Edit" under your post, and you can see the various codes that create the quote. Your reply got slipped inside the "[/QUOTE]" that should mark the end of the quoted part. You can delete (Ctrl-X) the text that was misplaced, and then put it (Ctrl-C) in the right place after the [/QUOTE]. Then Save the changes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm with you, except that I sleep with mine still around my waist.
I too sleep with my bum bag fastened around my waist. The only time it is not on my body is when I am showering and then it is hanging right in front of me. Sure it looks ultra-stupid on but too bad! Mine has a small (pen, paper pad and guide book pages of the day) and a large compartment (camera, phone and ipad) plus a 500ml water bottle holder on each side.

It is easy to fix. Click on "Edit" under your post, and you can see the various codes that create the quote. Your reply got slipped inside the "
" that should mark the end of the quoted part. You can delete (Ctrl-X) the text that was misplaced, and then put it (Ctrl-C) in the right place after the [/QUOTE]. Then Save the changes.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, C clearly for the help. I was able to fix it!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.