• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fanny pack/Bum bag...

C

Camino Chris

I love using a fanny pack (I've learned on this forum that this is the USA wording for "bum bags". Fanny packs were quite the rage (fashion) here in the 1990's and many people were using them. But with all fashion statements, they soon became obsolete and out of style after a few years and anyone caught wearing one was considered a "dork".

Well, I resurrected mine from the past (aka... my basement storage area) for my Caminos and love it! Fanny packs usually have several different zippered compartments and I use one of them for my passport, credit and debit card, and larger amounts of cash, after first securing them in a ziplock bag. My smartphone sits perfectly in the bigger zippered section. I can pull it out quickly to take my hundreds of photos along the way. Lastly there is a smaller section where I carry Ibuprophen (which I learned on this forum is really called Camino candy) in a little tin and also small amounts of cash. Everything is at my fingertips. I carry nothing of importance or true value in my backpack, (aka rucksack).

I wear my fanny pack all the time and only take it off to shower, but it still stays with me in my shower bag. At night I put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag, safe and cozy as I sleep.

I have a newer small over the shoulder, slashproof crime travel purse, but would not like dealing with the long strap while taking my pack on and off for daily multi rest breaks on the Camino. I also own a hidden slim money bag to be used under clothing, but find they don't hold much and get sweaty. Bottom line, I don't care if I'm a dork...I love fanny packs!

What do you carry for your valuables?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've never heard them called bum bags. I'm definitely calling them bum bags from now on.

I plan on taking my bum bag that I use for hiking at home. We'll see how well it works.

I love using a fanny pack (I've learned on this forum that this is the USA wording for "bum bags". Fanny packs were quite the rage (fashion) here in the 1990's and many people were using them. But with all fashion statements, they soon became obsolete and out of style after a few years and anyone caught wearing one was considered a "dork".

Well, I resurrected mine from the past (aka... my basement storage area) for my Caminos and love it! Fanny packs usually have several different zippered compartments and I use one of them for my passport, credit and debit card, and larger amounts of cash, after first securing them in a ziplock bag. My smartphone sits perfectly in the bigger zippered section. I can pull it out quickly to take my hundreds of photos along the way. Lastly there is a smaller section where I carry Ibuprophen (which I learned on this forum is really called Camino candy) in a little tin and also small amounts of cash. Everything is at my fingertips. I carry nothing of importance or true value in my backpack, (aka rucksack).

I wear my fanny pack all the time and only take it off to shower, but it still stays with me in my shower bag. At night I put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag, safe and cozy as I sleep.

I have a newer small over the shoulder, slashproof crime travel purse, but would not like dealing with the long strap while taking my pack on and off for daily multi rest breaks on the Camino. I also own a hidden slim money bag to be used under clothing, but find they don't hold much and get sweaty. Bottom line, I don't care if I'm a dork...I love fanny packs!

I do the same - a fanny pack (this one) worn in front (belly bag) when my backpack is on. It has kind of an angled buckle too, so I wear it crossbody without my pack. I like having everything at my fingertips. It holds my phone (with guides & maps loaded in it), camera, and external battery, mini-headlamp, notebook & pencil, reading glasses, lipbalm, and daily cash/decoy credit card. (My passport, weekly cash, and real debit card are hidden away elsewhere on my body.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a small cross body purse. I modified the one I used last year to also wear on my waist, but found that I never used it that way. I put my purse on before my backpack, and only take it off when I shower and sleep. Of course it goes into the shower area with me, and next to me in my sleep sack. This year I'm going to use this small Travelon Antitheft bag.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a small cross body purse. I modified the one I used last year to also wear on my waist, but found that I never used it that way. I put my purse on before my backpack, and only take it off when I shower and sleep. Of course it goes into the shower area with me, and next to me in my sleep sack. This year I'm going to use this small Travelon Antitheft bag.

I have one of those anti theft things and it is too heavy for me. It has steel running thru the strap so it can't be cut, but I'll take my chances rather than carry the extra weight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've never heard them called bum bags. I'm definitely calling them bum bags from now on.

I plan on taking my bum bag that I use for hiking at home. We'll see how well it works.
I think "bum bag" may be a UK or Australian term.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My travel anti theft purse is quite similar to your picture. Possibly you didn't like wearing it around your waist because they hang so low.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
T
I do the same - a fanny pack (this one) worn in front (belly bag) when my backpack is on. It has kind of an angled buckle too, so I wear it crossbody without my pack. I like having everything at my fingertips. It holds my phone (with guides & maps loaded in it), camera, and external battery, mini-headlamp, notebook & pencil, reading glasses, lipbalm, and daily cash/decoy credit card. (My passport, weekly cash, and real debit card are hidden away elsewhere on my body.)
At osprey one you have is very cool! No dorkiness there!

My understanding is that the "lumbar pack" is a small fanny pack type bag that is worn in reverse of the fanny pack...with the bag part across the lower back instead of the front. I actually have one that I got years ago for short hikes. It wouldn't work when carrying a backpack.

On the Camino I wear a light weight cross body bag/purse that lays pretty close to the body in the front. It doesn't interfere with my pack and is great for running around town in the evenings.

I do have an official fanny pack too and every once in a while I pull it out of the closet but haven't been quite convinced to wear it. ;)

Do you wear the cross body bags under the pack or over? I have a Chico cross body water sling and can't get comfortable with it with a pack. It's great without one tho.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I kind of like the idea that a fanny pack is so accessible. But I still want my passport/cash hidden in a money belt and it seems a bit much to me, pack belt, money belt plus fanny pack.

I have a traveling purse as well. I'm shipping it directly to England for the second half of my trip and I'll just manage with the money belt and pants pockets for evenings.

I kind of like the idea that a fanny pack is so accessible. But I still want my passport/cash hidden in a money belt and it seems a bit much to me, pack belt, money belt plus fanny pack.

I have a traveling purse as well. I'm shipping it directly to England for the second half of my trip and I'll just manage with the money belt and pants pockets for evenings.
I put nothing of importance in my pack belt as the pack comes off every time I'm sitting in a red plastic San Miguel chair having a snack and drink.
Do you wear the cross body bags under the pack or over? I have a Chico cross body water sling and can't get comfortable with it with a pack. It's great without one tho.
I find the cross over little bags a nuscience if used with back packs. Under or over, I consider them a mess as a twosome.:)

I put the bag/purse on first and then the pack. You can't feel the slim, flat strap under the backpack.

The cross body bag is the same idea as the fanny pack...you have a pouch in front that is easily accessible. Only difference is that in one the strap goes over your shoulder and the other one goes around your waist.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

What can I say? Look at my photo.

The things I put in the belly/crossbody bag are "want at my fingertips" items and/or valuables like electronics and daily cash (+ decoy card). These are all the things that, conveniently, I take to the shower. If I got mugged, it would suck to lose those things, but not necessarily camino ending.

Super valuables - weekly cash, passport, debit/credit card - go in a body wallet that lives on my body, or in an interior sleeping bag pocket. Hating those sweaty waist or boob wallets though led me to fashioning a thigh wallet.

Since you will be using a Macabi, Eve, you'll find the pockets in that thing are huge and awesome, and a belly/crossbody bag would be redundant. Also has a zippered security pocket, so you won't need a body wallet either.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The things I put in the belly/crossbody bag are "want at my fingertips" items and/or valuables like electronics and daily cash (+ decoy card). These are all the things that, conveniently, I take to the shower. If I got mugged, it would suck to lose those things, but not necessarily camino ending.

Super valuables - weekly cash, passport, debit/credit card - go in a body wallet that lives on my body, or in an interior sleeping bag pocket. Hating those sweaty waist or boob wallets though led me to fashioning a thigh wallet.

Since you will be using a Macabi, Eve, you'll find the pockets in that thing are huge and awesome, and a belly/crossbody bag would be redundant. Also has a zippered security pocket, so you won't need a body wallet either.

I noticed that pocket when I tried it on! Very cool.

Decoy card?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think "bum bag" may be a UK or Australian term.
Yes Aussies call them bum bags. I used one last year on the Frances route & we so easy to access things like tissues, glasses, chewing gum, phone etc all in front at waist level without taking your pack off. I agree they look very daggy but soooo practical.

Yep, I use a bum bag (UK) in front, goes on before the back pack. But as I live in France it is of course a sac banane. So it has to be yellow. So if you see a fat slow pilgrim with fluo yellow bag and matching gaiters you now know who it is.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, what is a decoy card?

Is just an old card (expired, cancelled, defunct account) I keep with my daily cash, so if I were mugged, it would look more like I was handing everything over.
It would distract from the fact that I have more cash tucked away with my actual bank card.

Can't remember where I even heard the suggestion to do this? Many years ago. Just habit now.

Is just an old card (expired, cancelled, defunct account) I keep with my daily cash, so if I were mugged, it would look more like I was handing everything over.
It would distract from the fact that I have more cash tucked away with my actual bank card.

Can't remember where I even heard the suggestion to do this? Many years ago. Just habit now.
Great idea. I'll have to stop cutting up my old ones!

Yep, I use a bum bag (UK) in front, goes on before the back pack. But as I live in France it is of course a sac banane. So it has to be yellow. So if you see a fat slow pilgrim with fluo yellow bag and matching gaiters you now know who it is.
Too cute! Had a good laugh!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes Aussies call them bum bags. I used one last year on the Frances route & we so easy to access things like tissues, glasses, chewing gum, phone etc all in front at waist level without taking your pack off. I agree they look very daggy but soooo practical.
Daggy...also most likely an Aussie term (cuz/cos?) I never heard it before. :)

We call it a bum bag in New Zealand and I would not walk the Camino without it. And the most important thing is that I could carry my water bottle in it too. It was easy to reach at all times. Loved it.

LOVED my Fanny pack from OSPREY!
It is curve shaped to sit snugly in front when worn as a fanny pack and it converts into a sling purse (looks like a nice little purse then) for later on... The belt is perfect and would discourage slashing with a knife by a thief (as in a crowd like a purse with a thin cord). I used mine for all my important valuables , it literally never left my sight (passport, money, credit card, smart phone, chocolate...) It has the right numbers of zipper pockets too, when my head light died on me, at 6am in the middle of nowhere, I nested my IPhone in the front pocket with the flashlight directing out! Worked like a gem and did not depleted my battery, in fact, I could have done without the head light! AND furthermore... (did I say I love that little thing) At night, I would buckle it at the head of my bed post near my pillow.
Check it out... not cheap but really sweet!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always called it a hip pack. Have also heard them called waist packs.
Found it to be very useful on my Camino and will be sure to wear it on the next one.

LOVED my Fanny pack from OSPREY!
It is curve shaped to sit snugly in front when worn as a fanny pack and it converts into a sling purse (looks like a nice little purse then) for later on... The belt is perfect and would discourage slashing with a knife by a thief (as in a crowd like a purse with a thin cord). I used mine for all my important valuables , it literally never left my sight (passport, money, credit card, smart phone, chocolate...) It has the right numbers of zipper pockets too, when my head light died on me, at 6am in the middle of nowhere, I nested my IPhone in the front pocket with the flashlight directing out! Worked like a gem and did not depleted my battery, in fact, I could have done without the head light! AND furthermore... (did I say I love that little thing) At night, I would buckle it at the head of my bed post near my pillow.
Check it out... not cheap but really sweet!
Yeah...big cheers for the fanny packs, bum bags, waist packs and hip belts!! We love em! :)

I have a nice black leather belt with some zipped pockets/pouches which I strap on so that all I need is accessible at my front. Cash, credit card, decoy card, passport, credential, lipbalm, phone, tissues, all fit in the pouches. I can even tuck a bottle of water into it.
At night it sleeps with me, either round my waist or in the bottom of my sleeping bag.

A most useful piece of Camino equipment, and one I would not be without.

Yes, I suppose is it a Bum Bag - coming from the UK the term Fanny Pack makes me snigger... and then snigger some more!

€83,-
I have a nice black leather belt with some zipped pockets/pouches which I strap on so that all I need is accessible at my front. Cash, credit card, decoy card, passport, credential, lipbalm, phone, tissues, all fit in the pouches. I can even tuck a bottle of water into it.
At night it sleeps with me, either round my waist or in the bottom of my sleeping bag.

A most useful piece of Camino equipment, and one I would not be without.

Yes, I suppose is it a Bum Bag - coming from the UK the term Fanny Pack makes me snigger... and then snigger some more!
And me coming from the USA, Bum Bag makes me snicker and then snicker some more! ;)

I use both a... ahem... fanny pack/bum bag/etc, plus an on-the-body travel bag with RFID blocking protection for passport, extra cash, etc. I think it would probably be hard for a thief to cut my fanny pack, but I know it's happened. It was not a hassle to have both. And I had no trouble with my pack belt and the waist pack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Brilliant!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Have to agree - we bought a couple of great ones in Switzerland before our arrival - good space in them to put phone and guides, credentials etc. Was not water proof so anything of value was inside a ziplock bag. Ours also had a pocket for water bottle as well. Worn in the front with main backpack on, well, the back :)

Mine is visible in my profile picture. I have no idea how I'd walk a Camino without it, and sorely miss it when I have to change to work modus and start carrying a shoulder bag instead.

Hi, this is a great bag. Can you shorten the straps so it's worn more across the body and not hanging down low like in the video from the link you provided?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What's a decoy credit card?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What's a decoy credit card?

After @Tincatinker made us all laugh, here the real, but more boring, explanation:

You carry a wallet handy with the small amount of cash you need for the day plus an old, expired! credit or debit card. If somebody steals it, you only lose your daily cash and no other harm done. As 'they' got a card they think, hopefully!, they got your 'real' wallet.
BC SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also carry a small wallet for my "day cash" and hide the rest closer to my person, in a thin bum bag of sorts, but always under my top. Never carry all your cash/cards in your day bag/wallet/purse which you bring out to pay for meals etc.

As someone above said....."Fanny pack" in the UK is actually a rude term for a part of the female anatomy - A bum bag is a much better term over here 😳 Use it over here at your peril !!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.