• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FAO: Pilgrims from Manchester or the North West of England

Stedds

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (2012) Camino Del Norte (2013) Camino Primitivo (2013) Via Podensis (2013)
Right then,

I've seen that pilgrims get together for a good old chin wag after their camino has finished back in their home towns. This seems to happen quite a lot in different countries and I haven't seen anything like it for England, more specifically for Manchester or in the North West in general.

Something could happen, I certainly would like something to happen. This is more of a drumming up of support for a meeting. Just for a drink or set up a wander into the wilderness of The Lakes maybe?

Here is me thinking out loud but trying to touch base with pilgrims from this part of England.

Ultreia!!

Eddie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hi stedds i live in heywood rochdale,

Right then,

I've seen that pilgrims get together for a good old chin wag after their camino has finished back in their home towns. This seems to happen quite a lot in different countries and I haven't seen anything like it for England, more specifically for Manchester or in the North West in general.

Something could happen, I certainly would like something to happen. This is more of a drumming up of support for a meeting. Just for a drink or set up a wander into the wilderness of The Lakes maybe?

Here is me thinking out loud but trying to touch base with pilgrims from this part of England.

Ultreia!!

Eddie
Hi Eddie
I walked Camino Frances in May this year - will probably go again (2015?)
I live in Wilmslow and would be interested to hear what response you get
Ned

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live in Halifax but work in central Manchester. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck with this Eddie.
I was fortunate enough to be invited to a 'get together' down here. It was great.
Buen Camino

Hello Eddie/Stedds,

I live in North West Cumbria and doing ( fingers crossed) the Camino Frances in August 2014.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi stedds i live in heywood rochdale,

Yes way, I'm up in Shawclough - Rochdale. We should sort something out!! This is a good response so far.

Hows about I put up a few dates for Jan/Feb to see if we can all meet somewhere in Manchester??

Yes way, I'm up in Shawclough - Rochdale. We should sort something out!! This is a good response so far.

Hows about I put up a few dates for Jan/Feb to see if we can all meet somewhere in Manchester??

hi stedds youst near in monkey town always meet up with you there are 2 more guys as well i will send p m in the new year all the best.

Hi, what a great initiative! I only saw it by chance today as I was having a bit of an attack of the Post Camino Blues ... I live between Chester and Liverpool so Manchester is just a hop, skip and jump away. I'd love to meet up and exchange experiences and hear where others stayed etc, as I am already planning The Next One ... I am watching this thread to be notified by email when there are new posts so I don't miss anything. I might be going away in February so I'm hoping the two don't clash.

Look forward to it!
Linda

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Right then,

Ultreia!!

Eddie
Hi Stedds: I live in Worksop near Sheffield, a very good idea to meet up.

I'm in Leeds, and can occasionally be found round Manchester way. Would be good to wag a chin or two. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

I live in Up Holland near Wigan (right on the start point of the Monastic Way pilgrim trail) and work in Manchester. I've done the Frances last year and the San Salvador this year.

I'd be interested too.

Stuart

The response is extremely healthy so far.

Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th January? Any other ideas would be great. Manchester has a good amount of places that can hold us up for the afternoon I'm sure of it.

If anyone has any objections I will lock in that weekend, any date is fine with me and plan for things around these dates.

Feel free to leave any other suggestions.

Eddie

Either is fine with me, but can we meet somewhere that's easy to find from or close to a train station, for instance? I don't know the city very well and I believe they don't mark the streets with yellow arrows ... :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Either is fine with me, but can we meet somewhere that's easy to find from or close to a train station, for instance? I don't know the city very well and I believe they don't mark the streets with yellow arrows ... :D
Hello all
I should be OK for either day too
Suggest we probably only need a couple of hours for first meeting?
Will someone put together suggested agenda?
Ned

Hello all
I should be OK for either day too
Suggest we probably only need a couple of hours for first meeting?
Will someone put together suggested agenda?
Ned

From my limited experience, I wouldn't put a limit of time for your first meeting. The inaugural meeting of the North Somerset chapter (all three of us!) met at 7pm, and in no time at all found we were the last customers in the pub at nearing midnight and were being asked to leave the premises! No agenda was necessary. I hope you enjoy your meeting as much as we did.

Hi, either of those dates is fine with me. Let me know the place and ill be there. It might be worth PMing the other interested ppl in case there don't check the tread again

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Eddie
Ned
I was born in Sale, worked in Manchester 50 years ago, but unfortunately ( for this activity any way) live in Costa Rica.
Makes me nostalgic though, thinking of that homely Northern accent. Wish I could join!
Practically however, we Pilgrims in Costa Rica gave just formed a group. This is incredible, because very few from C. R. walk each year. This year, a record of 52 Compostellas issued. ( this does not include -Adrian's and mine, because, although we walked part of the Primitivo, we didn't have time to complete it, mainly due to my un-programmed illness. No completion of the Pilgrimage, no Compostella )! We did, however work for 2 weeks in the Pilgrims Office, once arriving in Santiago, but that's another story).
Our group met at a restaurant ( Spanish owner and Pilgrim). We enjoyed a super " getting to know you" dinner: tapas, paella and cream Catalan). We have now enjoyed a couple of
such dinners and last week, a group of us met early morning, walked in the shadow of our local volcano and through a few coffee plantations and...... Ended up with another great Spanish themed meal!
So, it's possible to form a local group, you just have to get started ( like walking the Camino)! All the best! Anne

I should be around on those dates. Looking forward to it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excellent!! Shall we lock in 25th?

I'll put together a document with a time and map of a some good bars, or at least one where we can meet.

my email address is eddieheakin@hotmail.com alternatively you can find me on facebook

I know of one Spanish restaurant down Deansgate if anyone would like to dine there...Ill work on the poster thing and upload it.

Ultreia!

Eddie

You are a star! Let me know if I can help in any way. Also if anyone is getting the train from Chester or Liverpool and would like company on the journey, we could meet before setting off?

Here we go. Please download it and have a read. I gave us the name 'Ultreia Mancunia'. We could have a secret handshake or something haha.

I'll see you there! Any problems, let me know.

Eddie

Attachments

• ULTREIA MANCUNIA.pdf
    264.8 KB · Views: 26
  • ULTREIA MANCUNIA.pdf
    264.8 KB · Views: 9
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done, Eddie. I have another commitment that weekend, but I will do my very best to reschedule it to make sure I am with you on the 25th.

Ok James, no problem, with luck we'll see you there!

Hi Stedds. Great idea mate, I'm from Cheshire so not far to go. I need to meet people that have braved this, not leaving until end of Feb for my own epic journey.
Hope to spk to you all soon
The newbie
Adam

Alright Adam, nice to hear from you. The social will be of great benefit to you!! Hopefully there will be plenty of pilgrims who can answer any question you have, the collective wisdom could be enormous. There may be time even for a few jokes ;)

Eddie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No secret handshake - just present a shell!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hope to join you.

Cheers.

Andy.

Hi Ste and Daina here we are doing part of the Camino, Leon to Santiago at the end of March would be good to meet some other people who have experienced the Camino.
has a day date and time been sorted

regards

Ste

Hi all.
Just seen this topic, what a good idea.I'll be there! If anyone has any info on the Levante/Sureste could they bring it along please, just booked my flight to Alicante to start the Sureste 8th April.
Regards
George

€60,-
Hi Eddie
Ned
Hello Ned I am walking Camino Francis in April and would appreciate any tips-first time and all advice gratefully accepted! I live in Sale! Cecilia

Right then,

Ultreia!!

Eddie
Please tell me more about the meet doing Camino Francis in April(first time) and would love to hear people's experiences and essential kit advice!]Cecilia

Hi Ste and Daina here we are doing part of the Camino, Leon to Santiago at the end of Ma
rch would be good to meet some other people who have experienced the Camino.
has a day date and time been sorted

regards

Ste

Alright!!

The social event is happening on 25th Jan in Manchester at 2pm. More details to be found on the uploaded doc below :)

See you there!!

Eddie

Attachments

• ULTREIA MANCUNIA.pdf
    264.8 KB · Views: 14
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like there will be quite a few of us - would it be possible to book a table and post the table number on here, that way we can ask the staff for the right crew of people? Unless everyone is wearing sunhats, fleeces and 35 litre backpacks, of course :)

Hello Ned I am walking Camino Francis in April and would appreciate any tips-first time and all advice gratefully accepted! I live in Sale! Cecilia
Cecilia - are you going to meeting in Manchester on the 25th? If so we can have a good chat then. Plus other people can give their input. If you're not going and would like to talk about your trip send me an e-mail == nedspencer@point-systems.co.uk == I'll try to answer any questions you might have!!
Ned

Cecilia - are you going to meeting in Manchester on the 25th? If so we can have a good chat then. Plus other people can give their input. If you're not going and would like to talk about your trip send me an e-mail == nedspencer@point-systems.co.uk == I'll try to answer any questions you might have!!
Ned
Hi Ned yes I am -will bring notebook for writing down top tips!

Right then,

Ultreia!!

Eddie

I live in Lancaster, completed CF Oct 2013 in 6 weeks with husband John. Plan on being there on Sat. Thanks for organising. Jean.

Last edited by a moderator:
The magical day is tomorrow!! Looks like it is going to be rammed in town, keep your eyes peeled for us somewhere in the pub. I have a sign Ill stick on the wall so it could be easier if it gets crowded.

Ultreia!!

Eddie

Great to meet you all.
Thanks again Eddie.

Hasta la Vista.

Andy

€60,-
Absolutely - thanks to everyone who came and made it such a great day, hope to see you again soon, and hope that next time we will get to meet the ones who couldn't be there! Because there *will* be a next time, right?

For sure there will be a next time!! I have the list with everyone's (maybe around 20 odd pilgrims) email. Maybe one in the spring, definitely another in the summer

It was great to meet you all, a big thank you for all the tips and advice hope to meet you all again at the next meeting by which time we will have completed our cycle ride (sorry) from Leon to Santiago:)

Ste and Daina

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Awwww such a shame I've just seen this! I live in Morecambe and would have loved meeting up and hearing people's stories. I hope to be brave enough and walk myself one day. But I know it'll happen exactly when the time is right for me.
I hope there will be another meet up:)

Awwww such a shame I've just seen this! I live in Morecambe and would have loved meeting up and hearing people's stories. I hope to be brave enough and walk myself one day. But I know it'll happen exactly when the time is right for me.
I hope there will be another meet up:)

hi watch the blog for this next time there a meeting all nice people you will be welcome

Sorry I missed it, couldnt get childcare sorted for Saturday :( Will make more of an effort for the next one! Or if anyone fancies an informal Camino chinwag/Spanish nosh up then I'd be up for it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Excellent stuff. A new date for our 2nd meeting can be worked out. I have everyone's email so keep and eye out, I'll put something on here as well.

There were a good number of 1st time pilgrims on Saturday, and I think it was very beneficial for them. They were asking lots of questions about gear, albergues and other general Camino stuff.

Also for the afternoon it felt like I was back on it!!

Ultreia!!

Eddie

What a great afternoon and early evening with so many new peregrino friends. I couldn't believe how quickly everyone gelled, and how the conversation flowed even more freely than the cheap (=inexpensive) Weatherspoon's ale.
Thank you Eddie/Stedds for organising the event. And how marvellous it was to discover that my father and your grandmother were such good friends a couple of decades ago; living on the same road in Salford and attending mass together.
I look forward to the next meeting and I second the motion that we think about arranging a walk somewhere mutually convenient. Suggestions anyone?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Somewhere with a pub at the end / middle for lunch/ tea. Peak district?

Regards
George

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's a pilgrimage route that starts from my front door. Lancashire Monasteries Route. Bit far to do the whole thing but plenty of good pubs on the way :)
I hadn't heard of this one before, Stuart. Even if it doesn't win the group's vote, I'm definitely going to check it out.

I hadn't heard of this one before, Stuart. Even if it doesn't win the group's vote, I'm definitely going to check it out.

I live right opposite the start, St Thomas's church in Up Holland, or as it was centuries ago, priory. Local next door sells real ale at £2.55 a pint so sees a lot of my business :) End point is Sawley Abbey just outside Clitheroe which I've been to and is very impressive (another good pub opposite). From memory it is about 60 miles. There is info on the LDWA website. I dont know if it is a historic pilgrimage route, doubt it. I suspect it's a modern join the dots via walking path type. Looks interesting all the same.

Howdy pilgrims,

I emailed everyone from the list today about a next social. Looks like going for a trek could be a good idea. It could be good if we pick a weekend then take it from there. There are plenty of good spots in the north west, its just a matter of organising everyone to be in the same spot at the same time.

If everyone seems keen Ill start the ball on it.

Ultreia!!

Eddie

Hi Eddie and everyone, this sounds like a great idea - anyone mind if I bring my tent along to pitch at tea break? I need to practice ... Feb and most of March is a bit hectic for me, but mid March and April is looking rather nice. Just put the dates down for a two week walk along the Welsh Coast Path this summer as well!

Look forward to it!
Linda

Hi Eddie
Ned
Hi,
I'm coming to Wilmslow to visit family in April from Australia before walking another Camino. Would love to meet up with the group, if there is one. We have a terrific monthly meeting in Sydney, always energizing. Can you let me know? Thanks, Angela

Hi,
I'm coming to Wilmslow to visit family in April from Australia before walking another Camino. Would love to meet up with the group, if there is one. We have a terrific monthly meeting in Sydney, always energizing. Can you let me know? Thanks, Angela
Hi Angela
There are talks about another meeting - nothing definite yet!
I'll give Eddie a prompt
If you're coming to Wilmslow - let me know when - that's where I live - we could have a coffee / beer / chat .....
Ned

Hi Angela
There are talks about another meeting - nothing definite yet!
I'll give Eddie a prompt
If you're coming to Wilmslow - let me know when - that's where I live - we could have a coffee / beer / chat .....
Ned
That would be great Ned. I'll be in touch.
Thanks,
Angela

I've got a desk job and itchy feet, and would love to meet up now and again to go for walks in the Wirral Cheshire, NW, depending on where and when. Any plans? @Stedds or others? The Wirral Way backwards with lunch in Parkgate ...?

I keep looking at this thread to see if anything is going on that I can turn up to, but it appears to have gone quiet. I live up in the lake district so I will just keep practicing for my next camino September 2015 Ingles.

Right then,

Ultreia!!

Eddie
Hi i live in Manchester if you looking for the most authentic Spanish tapas its got to be a place called El Rincon de Raffe ,deansgate i have eaten there many times great place for a meet up, you have to book it can be very busy

Thanks for that tip, if you are on Facebook you can search for a page called Ultreia Mancunia, I am hoping we can get some more activity going there soon. It's about time we had another meet-up and tapas sounds about right! Also I am out of practice on the vino but am luckily doing a refresher from Astorga in March ...

Hi
Just came across this original thread for Ultreia Mancunia
If you're watching this thread but not aware ... UM is alive and well
Our next meeting is April 10th with a visit to Gorton Monastery followed by a beer or two
If you let me have your e-mail address I can update you on "what's happening"
I will update our Facebook page next week
https://www.facebook.com/groups/121007741585587/ Ultreia Manucunia – Public Group
Ned
(nedspencer@point-systems.co.uk)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back