• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FAQs on the "European Peace Walk"

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Vienna to Venice: 6 countries in 600kms

Route_EPW.jpg

FAQs from http://www.peacewalk.eu/faq.html

1. When can I start the EPW?
In 2015, you can start the EPW, any day between the 28th of July and 25th August, from Vienna (first starting date, and the last starting date of the EPW, respectively). PeaceWalkers must register to reserve their space on the EPW and the daily number that can leave Vienna/per day is set at a maximum of 20 people. The infrastructure along the Walkway just cannot handle more than 20 people/per day.

2. How much time will it take to complete?
All the way to Trieste will take 25days. So if you leave Vienna to start your EPW on the 28th of July, you will arrive in Trieste on the 22nd August. If you leave Vienna to start your EPW on the 21st August, you will arrive in Trieste on the 15th September. Etc…

3. Can I walk outside of these dates?
Sorry, but No. The EPW2015 is only open for these dates. The signs are only put up the week before the 28th July, and taken down after the 25th August. The price deals we have organized for the PeaceWalkers off the Hostels are only valid during this period and with your PeaceWalker Identity (which you collect for free when you book at Meininger Hostel Sissi, Vienna).

4. Registration
Based on the Registration numbers, we forewarn all the 23 Accommodations along the Route, as to daily Numbers of PeaceWalkers and their Arrival dates. Therefore Registration is obligatory!

5. Cost of Registration
Apart from Vienna, Bratislava & Trieste, all the accommodations along the Route will hold beds for PeaceWalkers during their peak season, based on the numbers of PeaceWalkers that register. We have set the registration cost at 44euros. This is our way of ensuring to the Accommodations that PeaceWalkers will actually arrive on the day. At the end of the season, because we are good & noble souls, we will donate a percentage to a worthy charity!

6. I only want to Walk 1/2 of the EPW
If you want to walk ½ of the EPW (to Varazdin, Croatia) that is fine! Varazdin has super transport (trains/buses etc...) to help you get home. However, you still must Register…… and the Registration fee is fixed at 44euros.

7. Refundable
Sorry, Registration is not refundable. However, if you need to change your starting date to another starting date in 2015 (and in 2015 only), we will try to accommodate you, if possible. Contact us.

8. Where will the Walkers sleep en route?
Accommodation will be provided in the towns that are along the route. This accommodation will be basic but comfortable and at a bare minimal cost. We have found Accommodation in Hostels, community centers, mountain huts, Student residences, etc... The costs of beds vary between 7euros a night, and 16euros a night. Please note, we do NOT organize Accommodation for you in the 3 big cities: Vienna, Bratislava, Trieste (VBT). The PeaceWalkers must book their own accommodation in VBT. For recommendations of where to stay in VBT see: Starting the EPW and Ending the EPW..

9. What will I eat long the Route?
Expect to eat amazing home cooked food across 6 completely different European cuisines. The food and drink across this part of Europe is so varied and delicious, it needs to be tasted to be believed!

10. Wifi / Internet?
Most of the Hostels along the EPW Route have Wifi and/or a PC for common usage..

11. Length of Stages
This year, we are going to do our very best to shorten all Stages, to try and keep them around 25kms/per day. In the cases where we cannot shorten longer Stages, there will be options of public transport to help.

12. Elevation
Overall, the EPW is flat and easy going. There are some hills but nothing too demanding!

13. Guidebook
The finalized GuideBook on “How to do EPW2015” will be emailed to all those that have Registered, at the very last minute before the start of the EPW. Securing the Accommodations/Finalizing the Route and then putting all the Info into a document, is a monumental task, therefore the GuideBook will not be available until 20thJuly onwards.

14. Who can participate in the Peace Walk?
The Peace Walk route itself will be open to all people from all countries, willing to discover the richness and diversity of European culture. The EPW is open to all people, as long as they do not litter! Littering is not acceptable.

15. I am traveling alone. Are there other Walkers on my day?
We have to stress: We are NOT Tour Operators and do not organize the daily Groups! We love the EPW, and our role is to Design and set up the Route & coordinate with the Hostels. If you are worried about being alone on your date: bring a friend or 2 along with you. Also PeaceWalkers can use our Facebook page to communicate with other Peacewalkers prior to starting.

16. Money
You will need between 25 and 35euros a day, to live and eat like a king !
Austria / Slovakia / Slovenia / Italy all use euros.
Hungary uses the FORINT - which is 300forints = 1euro
Accommodations will accept euros. Local shops prefer Forint
Croatia uses the KUNA - which is 8kunas = 1euro
Accommodations will accept euros. Local shops prefer Kuna

17. Luggage
In Vienna, if you have heavy bags & posh clothes that you want to post ahead to receive in Italy, have it sent to “Trieste Post Office” in Italy addressed to your name followed by the words "FERMOPOSTA." They'll hold it at the main post office for up to 30 days (then send it back if unclaimed); you'll have to pay a small fee to pick it up.

Address: Piazza Giuseppe Verdi, 2, 34121 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 777 2311
Hours: Open today • 8:30 am – 7:00 pm

18. Electricity
Make sure whatever electrical devices you bring can handle 120V-240V, otherwise you will need a transformer.

19. Will the EPW be open in 2016?
All going well this year, the EPW will be open again in 2016, and onwards. Every year, we will open the EPW for longer and longer summer months, as the number of PeaceWalkers increases. Our goal is to slowly build a new Camino in Central Europe, and have it open for all to enjoy from March to October every year.

20. How can I help this initiative?
We have only one request: When doing the EPW, please take many photos & videos on your journey and then share them with your friends and colleagues! That's it. Also if you want, contact us with your thoughts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Damm @ivar can you please stop to tempt this pilgrim? So many Caminos to walk and so little time to do it! SY

Thanks, that section does look helpful for those of us that are interested ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What's the backstory on this route and the motivation?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've incorporated this into one of my hope-do-do walks. For me it will be the VVV - Versailles to Vienna to Venice (and then probably on to Florence as well if time permits)

Here is the website
http://www.peacewalk.eu/index.html#http://peacewalk.eu/jgallery-master/images/1.jpg

As I understand it, it is a celebration of peace already achieved rather than an activist type of peace walk. I'm not sure where I found that on the website.

Although different people have different expectations, for me this (celebration) was true indeed. Maybe one of the people who initiated the walk can explain here more about the background.

I walked the EPW last year, it was a great experience! The idea is indeed to celebrate the open borders and to have the possibility to walk across borders day by day, borders which 26 years ago where impossible to cross because of the iron curtain. Last year, I experienced a difference between people from North/Middle America and from Europe. Europeans where more into celebrating, North Americans more willing to bring a word of peace with a mission statement. I'm still trying to figure out what the background was of this cultural difference.
There is no activist activity organized. I think anyone who is looking for an activist walk might be dissapointed, anyone who wants to celebrate will enjoy every step.
To me the whole walk felt like a big present to the world from the people who put a lot of efford in it to set up this walk. Thanks!

Thank you for explaining. It's great to hear from someone who experienced it. Do you have a blog @Thomas1962 ? Maybe that is where I saw the explanation before. I love the idea of celebrating what already is. It reminds me of one of my favorite expressions "happiness is wanting what we get rather than getting what we want".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for explaining. It's great to hear from someone who experienced it. Do you have a blog @Thomas1962 ? Maybe that is where I saw the explanation before. I love the idea of celebrating what already is. It reminds me of one of my favorite expressions "happiness is wanting what we get rather than getting what we want".

It can be that you read this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-peace-walk-july-28th-2014.24873/#post-230988
This year the route is changed, so it will only get better!
As far as I know there where no blogs written during the first EPW. I have other plans for this year (walk from home to SdC) so will do the EPW, but I can fully recommend it.
For me it was and is a nice change after having done a few camino's in Spain. After this change I realize I miss Spain too...

It can be that you read this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-peace-walk-july-28th-2014.24873/#post-230988
This year the route is changed, so it will only get better!
As far as I know there where no blogs written during the first EPW. I have other plans for this year (walk from home to SdC) so will do the EPW, but I can fully recommend it.
For me it was and is a nice change after having done a few camino's in Spain. After this change I realize I miss Spain too...
You are correct. It was this thread and it waswhat you had written after you completed it that made me put it on my list. Thanks for that. I am looking forward to it but it must wait for next year as it begins this year just as I will be completing St Olav's in Norway.

As I remember from last year and with a pinch of common sense and knowledge of history I would say that EPW started as kind of commemorative thing for beginning of WW1. Which, I'm sure you all know, started by assassination of Austro-Hungarian Crown Prince Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo on 28th June 1914. All of the countries EPW goes through were once incorporated in AH Monarchy. Nowadays Chech Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina & part of Republic of Serbia are missing here in this route to be exact. IF that was the reason, of course! I don't know if this (about EPW) is correct because Alpe Adria Trail is staged even more (as far as Austria, Slovenia & Italy are concerned; and Soča/Isonzo river front where Hemingway was involved) accurately to WW1 places but nevertheless it is a great idea.
Maybe just another thing to emphasize from my quite good knowledge about this places - landscapes, food, wine (also beer) & people are great, but you shouldn't expect much lower prices as in Spain, especially not in Austria, Slovenia & Italy.

One more thing. The route doesn't run exactly from Vienna to Venice. It ends in Trieste (which was main navy and commercial port of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, whereas Vienna was the capital of course), but there is a Ruta Jacobea through Slovenia and I think some of the EPW stages runs on that one. Not really sure though... So you can "easily" push forward from Trieste through Italy towards Santiago ;)

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A few questions:

I do try to avoid walking in the heat (had a couple of heatstrokes in the past and do NOT want to repeat that experience!), can you set out really early from the accommodation whilst still getting a cup of coffee in the morning?

Are there places to hand wash your clothing each day or do you need to carry extra spares?

From the 2014 pics I see that people mostly walked in a group. Would it be ok to walk alone as long as you arrive at the designated accommodation each eve?

Thanks, SY

Hi.
Last year, they were running out of the hostels at 6am :) We forewarned as much as we could, to the hostels to start breakfast early. Anyway, we try to make sure, within the early hours, you will pass a cafe.
Lots of clothes washing went on in the EPW.
And yes, you can walk at your own pace/alone. There is no set pace

A few questions:

I do try to avoid walking in the heat (had a couple of heatstrokes in the past and do NOT want to repeat that experience!), can you set out really early from the accommodation whilst still getting a cup of coffee in the morning?
There might be different aswers from different people, but here are mine... Because the route this year will partly differ from last year things might be different. But that is also an exiting part of being a pioneer.
Last year in most places the hosts asked us what time we would like to leave. Most times people were flexibel about this. As I remember, 6 was ok. 5 was kind of pushing it too much. There were also places were there was no coffee that early....it's like on the camino

Are there places to hand wash your clothing each day or do you need to carry extra spares?
As far as I remember it was possible every day.

From the 2014 pics I see that people mostly walked in a group. Would it be ok to walk alone as long as you arrive at the designated accommodation each eve?
Thanks, SY
I experienced two groups, in both it was very well possible. There might be people who like or expect to walk more in a group, but there is nu fixed rule. In the first group there were a few groups walking together, in the second people walked more loose and met each other on the way, or not. Two days there was a (none compulsory) group walk because the major of the next village picked us up to walk with is. These days were very nice.
Most pictures you see are from the first biggest group, it is true that these group pictures are more shown, they give most of the atmosphere.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-11_1-24-31.jpeg
    upload_2015-3-11_1-24-31.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In FAQ on the EPW webpage it is said that you don't have to walk the EPW in 25 days, that you can take a rest day in a city along the way. That sounds as if it could be handy, but how does it work? Presumably you drop back into the next day's cohort of walkers but if that day has its full complement of 20 there would be no space available.

Hi - The most sensitive part of the EPW is the start. The 1st week. This is where the infrastructure is most "weak". Yes, there is better infrastructure in N-E Austria , but they will only take fixed numbers and reservations and deposits etc... ( a logistical nightmare, for a group in flux). Anyway, after the 1st week........ the Accoms are much more developed and bigger, so it can handle a surge to a daily Group.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not considering the EPW but a person who did it last year expressed reservations about the organisation/efficiency of the walk. If I recall correctly the route descriptions were vague, sign posting few in number, accommodation (?). If you are considering either 2015 or 2016 my recommendation is to PM someone who has walked it and ask for extensive advice. Good luck to those who attempt it.
As being a person who has walked it: if one is expecting a walk which is very well organized the first 1-2 times, with efficient walk, very well discripted and sign posted with all perfect accomodation to choice from: please don't dissappoint yourself and others and don't go! It's not a just ready to go camino.
If one is open for more adventure, being more a pioneer, ready to give feedback to make it better and better, I'm sure it will be a marvelouos experience again.

@Thomas1962 Would you mind posting a short summary of your own experience of the EPW for all of us, the good and the ugly? Or if you have written about it elsewhere, on a blog, just a link to that piece? Thanks! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Thomas1962 Would you mind posting a short summary of your own experience of the EPW for all of us, the good and the ugly? Or if you have written about it elsewhere, on a blog, just a link to that piece? Thanks! SY

Here you can find a report from John and from me: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-peace-walk-july-28th-2014.24873/#post-193741. These reports are just below half wat the thread, put there at the end of august.
I wrote down the most important things over there. I understand the route changed this year, because of last years experience the average amount of kms a day became less. I'm sure it will be a wonderfull walk again. I will be happy to answer any specific question.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 16817

In 2015, you can start the EPW, any day between the 28th of July and 25th August, from Vienna (first starting date, and the last starting date of the EPW, respectively). PeaceWalkers must register to reserve their space on the EPW and the daily number that can leave Vienna/per day is set at a maximum of 20 people. The infrastructure along the Walkway just cannot handle more than 20 people/per day.

All the way to Trieste will take 25days. So if you leave Vienna to start your EPW on the 28th of July, you will arrive in Trieste on the 22nd August. If you leave Vienna to start your EPW on the 21st August, you will arrive in Trieste on the 15th September. Etc…

Sorry, but No. The EPW2015 is only open for these dates. The signs are only put up the week before the 28th July, and taken down after the 25th August. The price deals we have organized for the PeaceWalkers off the Hostels are only valid during this period and with your PeaceWalker Identity (which you collect for free when you book at Meininger Hostel Sissi, Vienna).

4. Registration
Based on the Registration numbers, we forewarn all the 23 Accommodations along the Route, as to daily Numbers of PeaceWalkers and their Arrival dates. Therefore Registration is obligatory!

5. Cost of Registration
Apart from Vienna, Bratislava & Trieste, all the accommodations along the Route will hold beds for PeaceWalkers during their peak season, based on the numbers of PeaceWalkers that register. We have set the registration cost at 44euros. This is our way of ensuring to the Accommodations that PeaceWalkers will actually arrive on the day. At the end of the season, because we are good & noble souls, we will donate a percentage to a worthy charity!

If you want to walk ½ of the EPW (to Varazdin, Croatia) that is fine! Varazdin has super transport (trains/buses etc...) to help you get home. However, you still must Register…… and the Registration fee is fixed at 44euros.

7. Refundable
Sorry, Registration is not refundable. However, if you need to change your starting date to another starting date in 2015 (and in 2015 only), we will try to accommodate you, if possible. Contact us.

Accommodation will be provided in the towns that are along the route. This accommodation will be basic but comfortable and at a bare minimal cost. We have found Accommodation in Hostels, community centers, mountain huts, Student residences, etc... The costs of beds vary between 7euros a night, and 16euros a night. Please note, we do NOT organize Accommodation for you in the 3 big cities: Vienna, Bratislava, Trieste (VBT). The PeaceWalkers must book their own accommodation in VBT. For recommendations of where to stay in VBT see: Starting the EPW and Ending the EPW..

Expect to eat amazing home cooked food across 6 completely different European cuisines. The food and drink across this part of Europe is so varied and delicious, it needs to be tasted to be believed!

10. Wifi / Internet?
Most of the Hostels along the EPW Route have Wifi and/or a PC for common usage..

11. Length of Stages
This year, we are going to do our very best to shorten all Stages, to try and keep them around 25kms/per day. In the cases where we cannot shorten longer Stages, there will be options of public transport to help.

12. Elevation
Overall, the EPW is flat and easy going. There are some hills but nothing too demanding!

13. Guidebook
The finalized GuideBook on “How to do EPW2015” will be emailed to all those that have Registered, at the very last minute before the start of the EPW. Securing the Accommodations/Finalizing the Route and then putting all the Info into a document, is a monumental task, therefore the GuideBook will not be available until 20thJuly onwards.

The Peace Walk route itself will be open to all people from all countries, willing to discover the richness and diversity of European culture. The EPW is open to all people, as long as they do not litter! Littering is not acceptable.

We have to stress: We are NOT Tour Operators and do not organize the daily Groups! We love the EPW, and our role is to Design and set up the Route & coordinate with the Hostels. If you are worried about being alone on your date: bring a friend or 2 along with you. Also PeaceWalkers can use our Facebook page to communicate with other Peacewalkers prior to starting.

16. Money

17. Luggage
In Vienna, if you have heavy bags & posh clothes that you want to post ahead to receive in Italy, have it sent to “Trieste Post Office” in Italy addressed to your name followed by the words "FERMOPOSTA." They'll hold it at the main post office for up to 30 days (then send it back if unclaimed); you'll have to pay a small fee to pick it up.

18. Electricity
Make sure whatever electrical devices you bring can handle 120V-240V, otherwise you will need a transformer.

All going well this year, the EPW will be open again in 2016, and onwards. Every year, we will open the EPW for longer and longer summer months, as the number of PeaceWalkers increases. Our goal is to slowly build a new Camino in Central Europe, and have it open for all to enjoy from March to October every year.

We have only one request: When doing the EPW, please take many photos & videos on your journey and then share them with your friends and colleagues! That's it. Also if you want, contact us with your thoughts.
As an Aussie, what is the best way in and out for flights.

As an Aussie, what is the best way in and out for flights.
Vienna and Venice (2 airports: Marco Polo & Treviso) seems very logical. It also depends on your pre & post EPW itinerary.
In June & July flights from Sydney to/from Vienna and Venice costs between 700-800€ (www.skyscanner.net).

Not including the 3 big cities (Vienna, Bratislava & Trieste), we estimate for 2015 that a PeaceWalker will need just 295 euros for ALL the nights accommodation ! Thus, for over 3 weeks walking, through 6 countries, your bare minimum costs will be circa 295euros.... plus what you spend on food & drink. :)

euro.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Clearly, posting a new walk in this forum is like throwing bait in the water - the fish appear like magic.
I, too, am intrigued by this new idea. I'm going to let my fingers do the walking now over to their web site.
Thanks.

Ivar, as usual many thanks for forum and all that it entails. I see there is an added departure slot on EPW, 27th July. This appears good.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 16817

4. Registration

5. Cost of Registration

7. Refundable

10. Wifi / Internet?

11. Length of Stages

12. Elevation

13. Guidebook

16. Money

17. Luggage

18. Electricity

I will be starting from Vienna on August 17th. Looking forward to the adventure. I am interested to learn of any others planning to start on Aug 17th.

Gerry from UK.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be starting from Vienna on August 17th. Looking forward to the adventure. I am interested to learn of any others planning to start on Aug 17th.

Gerry from UK.
Hi Gerry,
There are at least 3 Australians due to start on the 17th. Look forward to sharing the adventure with you. Merle

2016 for me I think.
Trouble is 20ks a day is my absolute max with a day off once a week.
Guess I'll have to fudge it and also be among the early leavers from Vienna.
Going to be fun watching you guy n gals do it this year.
You 2015 lot, you keep us informed now please!

Regds
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For veteran Camino walkers, I feel this will be a very different experience as there is no pressure or indecision. You know where you'll sleep and eat. All the hard work has been done by the amazing organisers. We plodders simply have to put one foot in front of the other and take as long as we need to get to our destination for the day. Perhaps then, Gerard, you'd be able to travel just that little bit further, especially with a supportive team to encourage and walk beside you.
If you send me your email, I'll send my journal so you can come with us this year too.... :)

Hello. For those who walked the Peace Walk last year, could you please tell me whether debit machines were available all along the route to withdraw money? Also, I only speak English. Will I struggle along the route with this deficit?

Hey y'all, I'm starting from Vienna on August 13. I don't use facebook, so if you're heading out then, send me a message and let's chat here! excited already! --Hannah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello. For those who walked the Peace Walk last year, could you please tell me whether debit machines were available all along the route to withdraw money? Also, I only speak English. Will I struggle along the route with this deficit?

Hi Rhonda
Austria - Slovakia = no problem with just ENG
Hungary = 50/50 A bit of German will get you by.
Croatia - Slovenia = all ENG
Italy = Hmmmm :)

And yes, there are ATMs along the Route.

2016 for me I think.
Trouble is 20ks a day is my absolute max with a day off once a week.
Guess I'll have to fudge it and also be among the early leavers from Vienna.
Going to be fun watching you guy n gals do it this year.
You 2015 lot, you keep us informed now please!

Regds
Gerard
I hope to do this in 2016 too.....but I have to survive St Olav's this year first.

Starting this fascinating walk on 18th August. Anyone else starting on that day?
Also taking a small "carry on board" case with some more acceptable clothes for the few extra days I'll need to travel from Trieste to Amsterdam. I am posting the case from Vienna to Trieste in Italy. I will put small padlocks on the case. does it need to go into a box to post from Vienna? Can I get buy a box at the post office? I am hoping to find a post office close to the recommended hotel in Vienna?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Starting this fascinating walk on 18th August. Anyone else starting on that day?
Also taking a small "carry on board" case with some more acceptable clothes for the few extra days I'll need to travel from Trieste to Amsterdam. I am posting the case from Vienna to Trieste in Italy. I will put small padlocks on the case. does it need to go into a box to post from Vienna? Can I get buy a box at the post office? I am hoping to find a post office close to the recommended hotel in Vienna?

Hi Cejanus

Postfiliale 1020 Wien
Leopoldstadt
1020 Wien
Austria

Is close to the Hostels in Vienna

Hi. I was going to do my first Camino this year, but recently found out about the EPW. My family emigrated to USA from this part of central Europe, so I'll celebrate my roots along with peace and start the EPW August 3rd. Anybody else starting that date? Spain will have to wait until next year.

As being a person who has walked it: if one is expecting a walk which is very well organized the first 1-2 times, with efficient walk, very well discripted and sign posted with all perfect accomodation to choice from: please don't dissappoint yourself and others and don't go! It's not a just ready to go camino.
If one is open for more adventure, being more a pioneer, ready to give feedback to make it better and better, I'm sure it will be a marvelouos experience again.[/QUOTEo

€60,-
Hello, I am considering walking The European Peace Walk with my water colors, as I did when I walked Camino Francais in 2011. I may have some flexibility about the starting date, but I am thinking the end of July. After reding your post I am thinking it may be gentler to start with others. So, I would like to meet others who are walking here. This looks like fun and beautiful. Jill

I am a yoga instructor and as I did along the camino, I will and can teach Yoga along this trail. I took only a fleece sleeping sack for Camino, do you feel that will be sufficient on this walk?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jillee,

Just an FYI - if you go to the homepage of the EPW to the register button, I think you'll find that the earliest date you can start is now July 30th as the earlier dates are sold out.

Hi Jillee,

Just an FYI - if you go to the homepage of the EPW to the register button, I think you'll find that the earliest date you can start is now July 30th as the earlier dates are sold out.

Thank you for the information about start dates. I will not be able to schedule start date just yet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
how well way marked is it i would like to walk it.but i would be walking alone does everyone start together

Why can't I start outside of these dates? Why do I have to register? Who is to stop me walking through these countries as and when I want to? Are they closed for the rest of the year? Can I not find my own accommodation? For example the Meininger Hostel Sissi, Vienna can be booked on booking.com. What is 44Euros for? This is rather expensive. Does it include a very substantial discount? Why should I pay so much or at all to register? I don't have to pay to register for the Camino. Is this a business venture for someone. thank you for your honest replies.

Why can't I start outside of these dates? Why do I have to register? Who is to stop me walking through these countries as and when I want to? Are they closed for the rest of the year? Can I not find my own accommodation? For example the Meininger Hostel Sissi, Vienna can be booked on booking.com. What is 44Euros for? This is rather expensive. Does it include a very substantial discount? Why should I pay so much or at all to register? I don't have to pay to register for the Camino. Is this a business venture for someone. thank you for your honest replies.
If it is a business venture for someone, then it seems like a worthy cause and definitely worth the registration fee. I don't have a problem with profitable innovation that's socially beneficial.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You could walk any time - but you will not be entitled to pilgrim discounts, there will not be signage and you will not get the guidebook.
Registration ensures you get a place at the accommodations and entitles you to aforementioned discounts and guidebook.
Hope that helps.

Why can't I start outside of these dates? Why do I have to register? Who is to stop me walking through these countries as and when I want to? Are they closed for the rest of the year? Can I not find my own accommodation? For example the Meininger Hostel Sissi, Vienna can be booked on booking.com. What is 44Euros for? This is rather expensive. Does it include a very substantial discount? Why should I pay so much or at all to register? I don't have to pay to register for the Camino. Is this a business venture for someone. thank you for your honest replies.[/QUOTE]
You wpuld only be staying in hotels 2 or 3 nights I beleive, the rest of the time you would be sleeping in other types of accomodations, accomodations you would npt hqve access to otherwise. Sure, if you want to go from hotel to hotel you could, assuming there are some every 20-25 km. This is exactly how the local "caminos" in Quebec are being developped. There is a limites number of beds at each stop, so limitd departure dates. And this year they are asking for a registration fee because last uear they did not and many people who had reserved a departure date were noshows while others were not qble to go. As for how the money will be isued? Perhaps to cover the expenses to do ground work to find better accomodations or kore accomodations for next year?

Some of the EPW passes through areas where there is no tourist infrastructure at all. Lat year we spoke with a couple of mayors who were lamenting this fact as they would like to build some kind of tourist business in their respective towns but there was no place for folks to stay. Yes, you probably could figure a way to walk this off season but you would pay full price at the hostels and probably not have access to the barns, community centers, schools, or army barracks we slept in last year. I know this year's route will be different but I doubt that strings of hostel, inns. B&Bs have sprung up in the backwaters over the last year.

Greetings all...

This question is more geared to those who have already walked the peace walk, which I wholeheartedly intend do to in 2016.

I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean PdP to Santiago last year and they had mochilla transports from town to town. I didn't use them but my partner would like to walk the peace walk next year with me and having some sort of town to town mochilla service would seal the deal.

So...., is there some sort of baggage transport from town to town like we had over on the Camino Frances ?

Thanks for your responses...
Rick

Hi Rick,

Services in general are not as readily available on the EPW as they are on Camino Frances. Last year there were no formal mochilla forwarding service in place but often there were people in the group who because of blisters or other physical issues decided to take a taxi of some other transport to skip a step. Often others could pass gear on to them to take forward to the next stop but all this was done on the fly. This year may be different. I do not know. The EPW is an evolving process as is the hospitality industry in most of central Europe. Perhaps someone looking to make a few forints will set up such a service in future . . .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the cot bunks were the most cost-effective solution for these small and poor communities in Hungary. When you consider that the average monthly salary is $600/month you realize that it is quite an extension of hospitality for them to host us at all.

View attachment 16817

4. Registration

5. Cost of Registration

7. Refundable

10. Wifi / Internet?

11. Length of Stages

12. Elevation

13. Guidebook

16. Money

17. Luggage

18. Electricity

Let me know fir 2017 please

How early should I register to make sure that I have a space for 2018? Thank you.

There was plenty of spot available all season. Be prepared. The route maps and cue sheet do not match up. We arrived in Trieste today. Three of us, having walked the whole route with packs. Some start, some quit, some taxi. The route is not worn as few walk the whole way. We beat down weeds the were shoulder height. Some of the way did not have recent markings. Down load maps.me if you plan to walk for backup. Also the cost of accommodations is not correct on the cue sheet. Our blog: europeanpeacewalkblog.wordpress.com

Last edited:
There was plenty of spot available all season. Be prepared. The route maps and cue sheet do not match up. We arrived in Trieste today. Three of us, having walked the whole route with packs. Some start, some quit, some taxi. The route is not worn as few walk the whole way. We beat down weeds the were shoulder height. Some of the way did not have recent markings. Down load maps.me if you plan to walk for backup. Also the cost of accommodations is not correct on the cue sheet. Our blog. Europeanpeacewalkblog.wordpress.com

Thanks for the response. Where did you register the walk? Is there any register office at the starting point like a pilgrims office in SJPP where you get a map, albergue list and stuff like that?
How delightful you must be! Have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the response. Where did you register the walk? Is there any register office at the starting point like a pilgrims office in SJPP where you get a map, albergue list and stuff like that?
How delightful you must be! Have a wonderful time!

You register through the EPW web page. They haven't put up the dates for next year. This is not the Camino. Once registered you are sent a pdf ( we dubbed it: pretty damned flawed) file with route maps and about 100 pages of cues.... the cue sheets often do not match up with the maps. There is also a list of places to stay, the costs to stay at each included, although often we paid more at each place. About half way through our host would tell us only about 10% actually walk and less carry a pack.
This is an adventure trail, not an easy walk. The one lady that finished with us spent over 10 hours the first day walking with another lady and was lost several times. The next day they went with us. After a couple of day they said they could do it and after walking a bit in the morning we went on ahead and they got lost and showed up over four hours after us. At one point the cue sheet says just to find a way up the mountain, we sent up two in different directions to scout and found a way. Take a compass and a days food and water. This is NOT the Camino. We have a great sense accomplishment. We had days of heat over 35 and were starting at 5 am or as soon as it was light. This can be done and we are glad we did it, just be careful of your expections.

€60,-
You register through the EPW web page. They haven't put up the dates for next year. This is not the Camino. Once registered you are sent a pdf ( we dubbed it: pretty damned flawed) file with route maps and about 100 pages of cues.... the cue sheets often do not match up with the maps. There is also a list of places to stay, the costs to stay at each included, although often we paid more at each place. About half way through our host would tell us only about 10% actually walk and less carry a pack.
This is an adventure trail, not an easy walk. The one lady that finished with us spent over 10 hours the first day walking with another lady and was lost several times. The next day they went with us. After a couple of day they said they could do it and after walking a bit in the morning we went on ahead and they got lost and showed up over four hours after us. At one point the cue sheet says just to find a way up the mountain, we sent up two in different directions to scout and found a way. Take a compass and a days food and water. This is NOT the Camino. We have a great sense accomplishment. We had days of heat over 35 and were starting at 5 am or as soon as it was light. This can be done and we are glad we did it, just be careful of your expections.
Thanks! I don't see the webpage on Google for some reason. Can you put the link here?
Congratulation! Enjoy the rest until your next adventure :)

Do you mind me asking how much more expensive it was? And how about food - would you object to sharing your rough daily spending? (Minus the coffees!!!)

Do you mind me asking how much more expensive it was? And how about food - would you object to sharing your rough daily spending? (Minus the coffees!!!)

I did not keep a record but I can tell you the last night was to be 13 euro for a bed and it was 17, and the PDF said 8 euro for dinner which she would fix but she took us 5 kilometers to town to a restaurant and most main dishes were over 10 euro. Most beds would be a couple of euro more than the info sheet as well as dinners. Other times a good deal for a packed breakfast at one euro. Coffee, well that would sometimes be hard to find but cheap if we did find it. It you are addicted to coffee take the sachets of instant. Cost wasn't a real issue for us but planning to have correct currency was. For lunch we were always on the look out for a store also hard to find at times so we were always plannning ahead. This route is an adventure but again not the Camino. We have walked from Sant Gallen, Switzerland to SDC, and in Israel, and Ireland, we are not experts but know that stores can and will be closed on Sundays and often Mondays and to be prepared. We would call this an adventure trail - at times taken into very wooded sections. I am sure if one used some sort of data plan to walk then one could keep to roads. Also the cue sheet has cost to send your pack ahead which ran around 30 euro a day. Never did that but that would run up the cost too.

Thanks @edandjoan. I'm not a coffee drinker so no problem! Great to have on-the-ground feedback.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back