• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Farmers Markets/ Town Markets Along The Way.

DjennyHeart

Time of past OR future Camino
Via De La Plata- March-May 2013
Via De La Plata- May 2017
I am curious to know if anyone has information on markets/ farmers' markets in towns along the Camino Frances...

I would like to buy as much food along my journey at markets if at all possible.

Does anyone know which towns have markets, on what days/times?

My parents are both originally from Europe, immigrated to Canada in their 20's... and one thing they always rave about are the amazing markets in Germany, France, Italy... and from my experience there are some great markets, however I don't know much about markets in Spain...

:D

Buen Camino...
Jenny.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Jenny,
Some of the big cities like Pamplona and Leon have permanent fresh produce markets with a huge array of produce, fish, meats, cheese, etc. Santiago's market is pretty amazing, too. And they tend to be located in historical structures. These tend to be well located for pilgrims, who usually stay in the historic centers.

Many of the smaller places have regular market days, and then it's just a matter of lucking out by arriving on the right day. Melide's is on Sunday, for instance, and it's definitely quite an event, the whole town is bustling. In addition to fabulous produce, you can get artisanal breads, cheeses, liquors, honeys, etc. I have walked through Melide many times and had never hit on the market till this past June, and it was really a great event. Even if it's not market day, though, Melide and many other places of its size have great fruit and produce stores where you can get very high quality produce, much of it local or regional.

In my experience, when there's a regular market day, the activity is usually winding down by 1 or 1:30, so it might be hard to get there in time, depending ont he length of your day.

I know I've walked through many towns on their market days, but I've never kept a list, sorry.

Buen camino, Laurie

I would like to buy as much food along my journey at markets if at all possible.
It is not really possible to plan your trip to go from market to market; they might be hundreds of kilometers apart on successive days. When you happen onto a market, you probably won't want to stock up with several days food. You have to carry it!

Most of the tiendas and supermercados have fresh, local produce, and you will pass them daily. You may want to plan on patronizing them regularly rather than seek out town square markets. Produce and bread trucks circulate between small villages each day. Listen for the honking horn!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Passing through towns and villages there are usually little shops, sometimes tucked away a bit. Sometimes you will meet a bread van - they hoot as they come into villages as Falcon says. We found it easy to buy from small local places and prefer it to supermarkets. Many little stores stock everything from scythes to tinned food and cooked meats, or they will tell you where to find them. We also found some wayside stalls selling their fruit to pilgrims. As markets set up early you might find you can buy as you leave a place or pass through, and locals would be best place to tell you when/where their markets are.
Buen Camino

I can't remember what day it was but Palas de Rei has a good market that the yellow arrows lead you past.
Melide's market completely obscures the yellow arrows, and makes it hard to find the albergue / exit from the town.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks All for the reply's!

Though I am not planning my Camino around market dates/ nor do I plan on carrying around large amounts of food bought at these markets... I do hope to experience a few at least along my Way.

And I have lots of time... I am allowing myself 6 weeks to complete the Frances (over 50 days) which will include several "rest" days where-ever my heart desires... They say we all walk our own Camino, and though I know I can walk 25km easy in one day ( I have been) I am going to take each day one at a time, with no time restrictions or set stages...

I want to be flexible and open to whatever may happen...

I will enjoy eating the local food/produce as much as possible :)

Cheers, Jenny.

Carrion de los Condes market is Thursday, I think.
Sahagun has theirs on Saturday, and it´s often a doozy. Leon´s is on Friday, in the Plaza Mayor... I think! But their Mercado de Abastos (permanent marketplace) is right up against the Barrio Humedo too, with fresh things every day but Sunday.

Rebekah Scott said:
Carrion de los Condes market is Thursday, I think.
Sahagun has theirs on Saturday, and it´s often a doozy. Leon´s is on Friday, in the Plaza Mayor... I think! But their Mercado de Abastos (permanent marketplace) is right up against the Barrio Humedo too, with fresh things every day but Sunday.

Cheers Rebekah!

Thanks for the info... I will certainly keep that in mind :)

Jenny.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today in Portomarin, so I guess they have their market on Sunday.

Attachments

• readImage.asp.jpg
    readImage.asp.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 670
falcon269 said:
Today in Portomarin, so I guess they have their market on Sunday.

Cool Falcon!

Nice to be picking up a bit of info ...
Sooo looking forward to my Camino experience!

JEnny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back