• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Faro to Santiago 910km

Pilgrim2023

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning on starting a camino from near my home (Faro) and walking north through to Santiago do Cacem and then onwards to Santarem, Porto and Santiago de Compostela!

I have walked the Fishermans route before, so fancied a new long distance challenge. Have a couple of questions..

Can anyone offer any insight into the section from Faro to S. do Cacem? I have an App with the route marked via Loule etc. but not expecting to find many arrows!

What's the situation with marking the route myself for future pilgrims? Presumably I should seek permission?

Obviously won't be leaving for a few months but hoping sometime in the late spring/early summer before the serious heat kicks in!

14799814_1352672231433296_1294095148_o.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bom caminho! Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but it sounds like the first part to Lisbon would be quite an adventure! If you live near Faro you know the weather patterns better than me but I would have thought that early summer, and even late spring, might be a bit late to start weather-wise.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am planning on starting a camino from near my home (Faro) and walking north through to Santiago do Cacem and then onwards to Santarem, Porto and Santiago de Compostela!

I have walked the Fishermans route before, so fancied a new long distance challenge. Have a couple of questions..

Can anyone offer any insight into the section from Faro to S. do Cacem? I have an App with the route marked via Loule etc. but not expecting to find many arrows!

What's the situation with marking the route myself for future pilgrims? Presumably I should seek permission?

Obviously won't be leaving for a few months but hoping sometime in the late spring/early summer before the serious heat kicks in!

View attachment 91323
I have thought of doing that route in the future. Hope you post your experiences. What is the name of that app? Would like to know please.

Just realized someone else already posted the same info.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The APP is called WindyMaps and has most of the caminos marked. You can download for offline use too. Used it on other hikes in Europe and pretty good.

Aware that late spring might be too late heat wise. It was 18C in Faro today, so already warming up. Will have to see how things play out I guess.

In 2018, I had studied the route from Faro to Santiago. My first idea was to join Vila Real de San Antonio on the border between Spain and Portugal, go north along the Rio Guadana to Alcoutim for 1 or 2 days, then follow, due west, Via Algarviana to Cabo Sao Vicente (near Sagres) and from there, follow the Rota Vicentina.
Finally on June 11, 2018, I went directly to Sagres and Cabo Sao Vicente by train and by bus from Faro, it was much easier.
I followed the Rota Vicentina, then I joined Lisbon by Aveiro. From Lisbon to Porto, I passed by the coast.
From Porto, I hiked on the Caminho da Costa, going to Santiago.
950 km from Faro to Santiago seems to me below the truth, I think it would rather be at least 1050 km.
The 1st video of my pilgrimage:
1st Part of Sagrès-Santiago 2018

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2018, I had studied the route from Faro to Santiago. My first idea was to join Vila Real de San Antonio on the border between Spain and Portugal, go north along the Rio Guadana to Alcoutim for 1 or 2 days, then follow, due west, Via Algarviana to Cabo Sao Vicente (near Sagres) and from there, follow the Rota Vicentina.
Finally on June 11, 2018, I went directly to Sagres and Cabo Sao Vicente by train and by bus from Faro, it was much easier.
I followed the Rota Vicentina, then I joined Lisbon by Aveiro. From Lisbon to Porto, I passed by the coast.
From Porto, I hiked on the Caminho da Costa, going to Santiago.
950 km from Faro to Santiago seems to me below the truth, I think it would rather be at least 1050 km.
The 1st video of my pilgrimage:
1st Part of Sagrès-Santiago 2018
Hello @he.panpub , I’m thinking of starting in Sagres to Lisbon then on to Santiago starting early November this year. I walked quite a bit of the cliffs in the Algarve on my first winter escape from Canada in 2019-2020 then the pandemic. I’m interested to know your actual experience with: 1. Winter weather (November likely but not guaranteed to be wet), 2. Accommodation availability (I’m aware of the surfers hostels), 3. Walk-ability as in how demanding ? I have “time” on my side given I’ll be in Iberia for close to 6 months and plan to enjoy wandering the caminos. Putting all the Covid issues aside, which can change anytime, I’d very much appreciate hearing more about your Rota V walk……suggestions, advice, etc.

Yes I did it last summer. It ended up being extremely challenging, particularly the lower part of the Camino Portuguese where very few go, in fact I walked for three weeks without seeing another pilgrim or hiker until Santarem.

I had planned to walk the Norte backwards from Santiago to France, but ended up walking the French Way as I had to have a break.

I did Vlog the journey if anyone is really interested.

2021summer.png

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back