• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fastest/Cheapest Way to Get to Fatima

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I am starting to SdC from Fatima. My current plan is to fly into Madrid on airline points (flying direct into Lisbon takes almost twice as many points with a much longer layover). I assume the easiest way from Madrid to Fatima is an Iberia flight or Alsa bus to Lisbon, followed by local shuttle service to Fatima.

Is there anything more direct from Madrid to Fatima that is either notably faster or cheaper?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd like to fly into Portugal, if the price is affordable. Passing the frontier still takes a lot of time, if you rely on public transport.
You can get easily and often go from Porto and Lisbon to Fatima (direct buses). The train station of Fatima is far away from the town.
Madrid - Lisbon by bus is many hours and about 50€. Flights with Iberia, TAP, Ryanair are common and not always much more expensive.

Flying on airline miles is not always as cheap as you expect. Better spend it to upgrade into business on long distance flights. Check the prices in Europe with google.com/flights. Flights from/to BRU,AMS,CDG are usually good value for money.

Go to www.rome2rio.com or use the free app. It will provide ALL the ways to get from point A to point B virtually anywhere on the planet.

Off the bat, my sense is perhaps a train to Lisbon, then a train to Fatima.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is no railway line passing Fatima! You have Fatima-Caxarias about 20km north from the sanctuary and Chão de Maçãs-Fátima station to the east (maybe a bit closer to Tomar than Fatima). The Fatima bus station is 10min walking from the Sanctuary and can be even closer to some hotels.

Like many other information and booking sites rome2rio does not show "strange" routings like flying from the US to Madrid and going back to Portugal (Lisbon/Fatima). Usually that's good for fast connections, but not always for the price. And of course they totally ignore border control time and Visa arrangements, which can be crucial if you are from abroad.

I'd like to fly into Portugal, if the price is affordable. Passing the frontier still takes a lot of time, if you rely on public transport.
I have enough points to fly me and my son round trip to/from Madrid, but not nearly enough to do so through Lisbon, even though it's a shorter flight (go figure). Moreover, the final departure from SdC is not nearly as convenient through Lisbon as through Madrid. So, regardless of the convenience of flying into Lisbon for the Fatima start, I'll be flying into and out of Madrid.

I wasn't aware of any buses direct from Madrid to Fatima, but when you mentioned it, I checked, and Alsa does actually go there with a transfer part way through. Long ride though.

And of course they totally ignore border control time and Visa arrangements, which can be crucial if you are from abroad.
We'll arrive Sunday morning, go to Mass in Madrid, and then make our way through to Fatima that afternoon/evening. So, customs/immigration won't be an issue. Short transfers make for long delays, to misquote those noble, long-walking hobbits, Pippin and Frodo.

Madrid - Lisbon by bus is many hours and about 50€. Flights with Iberia, TAP, Ryanair are common and not always much more expensive.
I'd likely go Iberia because the time/convenience can't be beat. Sometimes, however, it is about the journey, especially the mind shift from "everyday brain" to "Camino brain" and inconvenience helps to accelerate the shift. I don't mind the long train/bus rides during the day as I make that mind shift. I love the Spanish countryside, and it's easy enough to nap and recover from the 8 hour time zone change.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back