• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fatima 2017

Tink

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Portugues May 2017
Fatima May 2017
is their a thread created for those walking the Camino Portuguese during May 2017? Im curious to know how diffcult it will be to stay in albergues during that time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there. Welcome. Suggest you spend an hour or two searching existing Camino Portuguese threads on this forum. 2017 is a while away. Look at what is happing recently.

We walked 3 times in the month of May. Twice the Portuguese and once the English camino. No trouble at all finding a place. All albergues are open.
It is a beautiful time to walk during springtime in Portugal and Galicia.
Happy exploring on this forum. There is a lot to read and bom caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
is their a thread created for those walking the Camino Portuguese during May 2017? Im curious to know how diffcult it will be to stay in albergues during that time.

Hi, Tink,
Are you asking because of the May crowds to Fatima? Or are you going to walk to Fatima yourself? In either case I would contact Mario at Santarem Hostel. His albergue is on both routes, the Caminho and the route to Fatima, and he will be able to give you lots of good information. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Yes thank you peregrina 2000. I appoligize for not being more clear. May 13th, 2017 marks the 100th Anniversary of the apparitions of Our Lady to three shepherd children in the small village of Fatima. I would love to include this piece of history in my CP walk in May of 2017, but Im thinking it will be very busy during this time with very few places to stay along the way. I did check out one place in Fatima and the price for one night exceeded 1100 us dollars. Most other places only reserve 1 year out. Thank you for a direction for begining my new adventure on the Portuguese route. I spent 16 months training and researching for the CF in May 2015. Now im hooked! :)

Hi Tink.
It will be very hard to find a place to sleep in Fátima (or very expensive) due the 100th Anniversary and Pope's visit to Fátima.
More information here (use google translate) and here
You can try sleep in Santarém (60km) or Tomar (30Km) and take the bus to Fátima and a taxi to return Santarém/Tomar as the candles procession ends very late and probably no bus to return.
Tomar is closer to Fátima therefore probably same availability problem and/or expensive; Give a try!
From Santarém, bus costs around 9€ and taxi around 70€ each run
Do not know the costs from Tomar but cheaper.
Or sleep on the floor in Fátima as many will do.
The weather should be fine
Be ware on the 13th Fátima will be very very crowed, like "Woodstock".
Bom Caminho
Mario

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tink.
It will be very hard to find a place to sleep in Fátima (or very expensive) due the 100th Anniversary and Pope's visit to Fátima.
You can try sleep in Santarém (60km) or Tomar (30Km) and take the bus to Fátima and a taxi to return Santarém/Tomar as the candles procession ends very late and probably no bus to return.
Tomar is closer to Fátima therefore probably same availability problem and/or expensive; Give a try!
Bom Caminho
Mario
Thank you so much Mario for your advice. Im not sure it will come to be a reality but im sure going to give it a try!

Hi, Tink,
Are you asking because of the May crowds to Fatima? Or are you going to walk to Fatima yourself? In either case I would contact Mario at Santarem Hostel. His albergue is on both routes, the Caminho and the route to Fatima, and he will be able to give you lots of good information. Bom Caminho, Laurie

I walked the Portugues Camino last May and stayed at Mario's albergue in Santarem. I stayed two nights in Santarem and took a bus from there to visit Fatima. It was worth staying an extra night at Mario's albergue for thos purpose. Mario was very helpful in providing information.
Buen Camino, Ray

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Tink.
Bom Caminho
Mario
@mario. Sounds great.. just G R E A T. But sleep on the floor in Fatima.. WHERE?? I don't mind that at all. I'd love to. So the date is 13 May 2017? Would appreciate some feedback from you. Cheers, Caesar :)

@mario. Sounds great.. just G R E A T. But sleep on the floor in Fatima.. WHERE?? I don't mind that at all. I'd love to. So the date is 13 May 2017? Would appreciate some feedback from you. Cheers, Caesar :)

Hi
On May 13, 2017, to celebrate-the 100th anniversary of 1st appearance. I think the pope Francisco will pilgrimage to Fatima on 13 May or 13 October 2017.
It literally sleep on the floor, in any unoccupied place. As Mario said are 200,000 to 300,000 people sleeping everywhere, it's like "Woodstock". The ground under the trees, in cars, on buses, on the doors of houses, etc.
Also can not sleep far from Fatima because the roads will be saturated with cars, to get to Fatima for the Mass 10:00.
Un advice, participates in the procession of candles (22h00 / 23h00 ??) and searching for a place of prayer (at night there are prayers in several languages), the next day you have the whole day to sleep.

Last edited:
Hi
On May 13, 2017, to celebrate-the 100th anniversary of 1st appearance. I think the pope Francisco will pilgrimage to Fatima on 13 May or 13 October 2017.
It literally sleep on the floor, in any unoccupied place. As Mario said are 200,000 to 300,000 people sleeping everywhere, it's like "Woodstock". The ground under the trees, in cars, on buses, on the doors of houses, etc.
Also can not sleep far from Fatima because the roads will be saturated with cars, to get to Fatima for the Mass 10:00.
Un advice, participates in the procession of candles (22h00 / 23h00 ??) and searching for a place of prayer (at night there are prayers in several languages), the next day you have the whole day to sleep.
Thank you amsimoes.. sounds like fun :) to be sure. Sleep anywhere sounds amazing !!! Under the stars.... oh wow

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could stick with the Camino de Santiago and do a day trip from Tomar. You can book way ahead for Tomar it may not have filled out yet with bookings for 2017, there is also a new pilgrimage route between Tomar and Fatima so you can walk it if you want, and hire a taxi to come back later that day.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back