Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Fatima > Santiago > Francès > SJPP > Lourdes - Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Other Pilgrimage Routes' started by JabbaPapa, Feb 23, 2017.

1. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Logroño - Compostela 1993 ; Paris - Compostela 1994 ; Monaco - Rome 2000 ; Monaco - Lourdes - Compostela 2005 ; Lourdes - Compostela 2014 ; Cap d'Ail - Monaco - Beausoleil 2016 ; Fatima - Compostela - SJPP - Lourdes 2017
    After a lengthy bout of illness that put this project into doubt (my initial plan was : 2016), it seems to suddenly have started to materialise.

Today, for the first time since Autumn 2015 I was able to get some actual hiking done without dire consequences of pain (5k semi-mountainous semi-tarmac terrain) -- and on Monday, I learned that my time limit for the Camino is finishing in early September at the latest (or postpone another year), so starting in late May at the earliest.

The precise time constraints are actually better encouragement than the physical/health improvements -- procrastination has been removed from the equation, so that either I do it or I don't. This clarity is valuable.

It'll be hard to work out a decent training regimen and hiking routes -- an Alp is not a good place for long-distance hikers to get any of our own stuff done properly.

Things are easier closer to the Monaco and Italian borders though, so maybe I'll look that way -- but there are some other possibilities.

I'm very happy that I might actually be able to manage this, with the Blessings of the Apostle and Our Lady Saint Mary to ask for.

2. cher99840

cher99840 Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (2013) Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
    (2015) St. Olav's Way
    (2017) planning CF redux
    Wonderful news. I hope the training goes well. Buen Camino.

3. ouroboros

ouroboros Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from St. Jean to Santiago (2012)
    Camino Portuguese Porto-Santiago (2017)
    Godspeed you, pilgrim!
    Buen camino!

4. C clearly

C clearly Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga-SdC (Nov 2012). SJPP-Sahagun (Oct 2014). SJPP-SdC (Oct 2015). Leon-SdC (Mar 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017)
    Keep us posted of your preparations and progress! Buen camino!

5. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Logroño - Compostela 1993 ; Paris - Compostela 1994 ; Monaco - Rome 2000 ; Monaco - Lourdes - Compostela 2005 ; Lourdes - Compostela 2014 ; Cap d'Ail - Monaco - Beausoleil 2016 ; Fatima - Compostela - SJPP - Lourdes 2017
    Thanks, but it's likely I won't be posting much here from the Camino IF I manage to get it done -- experience shows I have a strong tendency to vanish from the internet when I'm walking.

I will write about the progress of preparations though ... :)

C clearly likes this.
  6. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    I'm not sure why this has been moved to "other pilgrimage routes" -- I'll be following the Francès for about 2/3rds of the Way ...

7. nathanael

nathanael Entering Zamora..Camino de la Plata.

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 3, Camino Norte, Camino de la Plata
    I also vanish from the internet when I do the Camino and another thing I refrain from is a cell phone. I refuse to have one when I do the Camino and do not reserve. I take my chances and hope and trust in divine providence. buen Camino to all see you June 2 starting in Leon where I left off last year.

JabbaPapa likes this.
  8. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    I may very well meet you along the Way !!! :cool:

9. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    I have a strong feeling that this is happening.

And possibly this time, pre-Camino training is less important than organisation and dieting.

I've been on a steak diet for the past two months or so, which basically involves in my case steak and greens and liquids plus various liquids, plus whatever I need once a week or so when that's not enough, and I am shedding weight, slowly, and gaining muscle mass, slowly too.

And organisationally, currently I need to sort out all sorts of passport and other documents and health insurance and "enough medicine for three months" hassles. I'm realising how much more important these things are now than they used to be even two years ago, let alone in the 20th Century, though if I still had the health of my youth and proper travel documents, I'd just up and get going next week or something. :rolleyes:

I live along the pilgrim Way between Santiago (and Lourdes) and Rome, and the pilgrims and ex-pilgrims that I sometimes simply bump into by accident are certainly helpful.

10. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Every week, some degree of the natural reticence against such a mad project just dissolves.

Of course, I have my motives to keep back instead -- but they're no longer a significant worry, and I'm prepared again, if necessary, to just set out one more time penniless and on dubious knees

Kanga likes this.
  11. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Oh well -- I may need to postpone this again, to 2018 ...

12. Kanga

Kanga Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2001, 2003, 2004, 2015 and 2016), Le Puy (2009, 2010), Arles (2011), Tours (2012), Norte (2015) VdlP (2017)
  13. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Well Kanga, I took my first lengthier training hike on flat surface on Tuesday, just about 8k, and I've had over 36 hours of ghastly debilitating pain since -- and if I miss the May starting window, if my body isn't up to it yet, then the rest of the year will just be borked because of unrelated commitments from September onwards

I'm not ruling it out yet ; a lot can happen in a short time ; and I suppose there's still a possibility in November or something -- but unless I can get my body into being at least 10k-capable shape at the start, I won't be capable of making even the trip there to do so :(

EDIT : although I suppose I can't rule out starting in June ...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  14. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    I already have a traditional BLACK woollen Pilgrim Cape.

Coming home this evening, I discovered a BLACK woollen Pilgrim Cape before my front door.

It's crazy.

Such gifts cannot be ignored.

Mike Savage likes this.
  15. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    I do wish that God would sometimes just now and then be slightly less annoying towards me.

But well, Love is never easy.

None of this belongs to my original plans.

16. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    I do think that I may very well just bung some stuff in my backpack and go.

My knees and ankles are hell and it'll be murder, finances are a bad joke, and etc -- but everyone who knows or trusts me is telling me either to trust my gut, or to pray, or that I now MUST do this ...

And there have been so many Marian and Jacobite Signs that they're impossible to ignore -- not honestly anyway.

---

I DO anyway now have an identical replacement for my cool sleeping bag that was stolen from me back in the late 90s ... :cool: :p :rolleyes: