• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Fatima to Caxarias - where to stay?

vyeong

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues and Camino de Fatima
Hi there, I am currently walking on my own from Santarem to Fatima (leaving Santarem today) and have been trying to find information about my options from Fatima to go back on the Camino Portugues. The various threads have been useful and I am deciding between:

1) Fatima to Ansiao
2) Fatima to Tomar (and then continuing on to Santiago)

My main issue with option 1 is finding a place to stay in Caxarias. The only Albergue I can find along the route downloaded from Google maps is Albergue Farrius Bar but that seems to be about at least 30km from Fatima which is a little long but doable if I don’t have any other choice.

Are there any other recommendations of where I can stay that is affordable? Has anyone stayed in the Bombeiros in Caxarias? I’ve heard that things have changed since COVID and not sure if that was still an option.

Suggestions and advice are welcomed!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check out blog. We walked a couple of weeks ago from Fátima to the central. First stop was the Central Cafe. You have to call. Accommodating listed at the end of each day on blog. We really enjoyed the route

I chose the first option in 2019. Here are the related blog articles:
  1. Fátima to Caxarias (stayed on the upper floor of a local restaurant)
  2. Caxarias to Ansião
The local fire station in Caxarias did not offer accommodation when I asked. The local church that can host pilgrims on mats was already full when I arrived (I think it was very close to the fire station). Luckily they did know to recommend a restaurant run by an old French lady who had several very run down rooms for rent.

I hope it helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The second night was central Cafe. Sorry. First night was pricey at some AL. Farm. The The AL’s are great places along the way

Thanks everyone! It sounds like there are limited options but I will see if I can find out more as well when I am at Fatima to see if other people might have contacts or options.

Hi. I did the route in September last year. Arrived in Caxarias about 3pm. Asked a local who sent in me in the direction of Restaurant Manolvo, just outside the train station. I'm assuming a previous poster stayed there as it sounds like the place they were referring to. Anyway, granted, the room was a little run down, but clean, and en suite, for 20 euro for the night. 6 or 7 days in, it was absolute luxury. The place had filled up by about 5pm, but not sure about booking.com as I didn't use it. After that I made a diversion to Alvaizaire as opposed to going straight to Ansiao, but this was because I'd planned to meet some friends I'd met earlier on the C.P out of Lisbon. Also, in regards to the Bombieros, I obviously didn't stay with them in Caxarias, but I did in Sao João de Mediera, and I'm so glad I did. One of the best nights of my entire C.P. I paid a 5 euro donation and even though it was a mattress on the gym floor (again, luxury to me at the time) they treated me like absolute royalty. Access to shower, offered me more food than I could possibly eat, and even invited me watch the football game upstairs with them in the fireman's mess, which being an Englishman, of course I did. All this whilst that part of the country had one of its worst storms in years. I truly love the Portuguese, but I digress. Hope this helps.

Bom Caminho

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. I did the route in September last year. Arrived in Caxarias about 3pm. Asked a local who sent in me in the direction of Restaurant Manolvo, just outside the train station. I'm assuming a previous poster stayed there as it sounds like the place they were referring to. Anyway, granted, the room was a little run down, but clean, and en suite, for 20 euro for the night. 6 or 7 days in, it was absolute luxury. The place had filled up by about 5pm, but not sure about booking.com as I didn't use it. After that I made a diversion to Alvaizaire as opposed to going straight to Ansiao, but this was because I'd planned to meet some friends I'd met earlier on the C.P out of Lisbon. Also, in regards to the Bombieros, I obviously didn't stay with them in Caxarias, but I did in Sao João de Mediera, and I'm so glad I did. One of the best nights of my entire C.P. I paid a 5 euro donation and even though it was a mattress on the gym floor (again, luxury to me at the time) they treated me like absolute royalty. Access to shower, offered me more food than I could possibly eat, and even invited me watch the football game upstairs with them in the fireman's mess, which being an Englishman, of course I did. All this whilst that part of the country had one of its worst storms in years. I truly love the Portuguese, but I digress. Hope this helps.

Bom Caminho
Thank you very much! The volunteer at the Albergue I’m staying also suggested this place and said they are open so I will head there tomorrow.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back