• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fatima to Tomar: accommodation?

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're walking from Fatima to Tomar on our CP. This stage is 30km, and for a number of reasons, we would like to break the walk in two sections.
The info I have on this route, also called "Caminho Nascente" indicates that there is accommodation at Fungalvaz, but I have just found out that the place has been sold and is no longer available.
I am not having much luck finding accommodation, so I was wondering whether anyone may have walked this route and would have suggestions.
Thank you! Obrigado!
Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don’t know of anything, but there are two forum members who might be able to help. @Rodrigo Cerqueira is the head of the Fátima organization, I think, and he seems to check in on the forum regularly. I would also try Mario at Santarem Hostel, just because he is very in touch with all the people along the Caminho. He has a forum account but isn’t here much these days. So I would email him directly, his business email is santaremhostel@sapo.pt

Good luck with this, Andrew! You are planning another epic journey! Buen camino, Laurie

As @peregrina2000 writes, Mario is probably the best chance for information. Most guides suggest to do it in one day, but that doesn’t help you much..

Perhaps askimg for the guide for Caminho Nascente at https://www.caminho.com.pt/guias.html could be another way for further information as they have Tomar with in it.

...as a last resort, you could try to cownload the route from https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/caminho-nascente-tomar-fatima-tomar-11765710 , upload it into google maps and zoom in, searching for accomodation! A bit of work, but very, very effective.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We're walking from Fatima to Tomar on our CP. This stage is 30km, and for a number of reasons, we would like to break the walk in two sections.
The info I have on this route, also called "Caminho Nascente" indicates that there is accommodation at Fungalvaz, but I have just found out that the place has been sold and is no longer available.
I am not having much luck finding accommodation, so I was wondering whether anyone may have walked this route and would have suggestions.
Thank you! Obrigado!
Andrew
So, do this: Fatima - Charruada - 13.6 km. In Charruada you have Albergue Nostra Senhora das Graças. "um bom albergue, bem instrumentado num caminho muito interesting" pe R. Ten. Sardela. And from there, continue to tomar. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-08 Google Maps.png
    Screenshot_2019-12-08 Google Maps.png
    447 KB · Views: 16
Thank you! Obrigado!
Andrew
Hi Andrew

check it out here

Buen Caminho

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
The Caminho Nascente guide doesn't have any accommodation information, but digging through various maps, I have found an Albergue in Fungalvaz, and not very far from there, a B&B.
And in the process, many other ways of looking for a place to sleep! :)
Muito obrigado!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Caminhos de Fatima site has the ability to download their (very compact!) guide to the various pathways. It shows only one hostel along the route from Fatima to Tomar--the same one, presumably, in Fungalvaz that is mentioned above. It shows it as 19.5 km from Fatima and 10 from Tomar.

Bom caminho!

The Caminhos de Fatima site has the ability to download their (very compact!) guide to the various pathways. It shows only one hostel along the route from Fatima to Tomar--the same one, presumably, in Fungalvaz that is mentioned above. It shows it as 19.5 km from Fatima and 10 from Tomar.

Bom caminho!

I had downloaded that compact guide. I thought the A in the info about Fungalvaz meant Alojamiento :D

It does. I believe that means "lodging," so I'd assumed that was the albergue/hostel. "Alojamiento Local," shortened to "AL" on little 3"x 3" (75 x 75 mm) clear signs next to doorways, indicates "local lodging"--either a room for rent, or a small house, or a hostel (new addition to the legislation.) You'll see these signs all over rural Portugal.

1575927262019.png

Checking as you go through the small towns for signs like these may turn up some lodgings that aren't quite as tech-friendly as being on websites, etc.

Rural Portugal is still pretty low-tech!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Checking as you go through the small towns for signs like these may turn up some lodgings that aren't quite as tech-friendly as being on websites, etc.
Rural Portugal is still pretty low-tech!

If I were waking alone, that's what I would do, @Friend from Barquinha , but I am not, and I need to plan for my darling wife, who, for many reasons, some of which are medical, needs to know where we are going to sleep, and certainty of having a bed.

If I were waking alone, that's what I would do, @Friend from Barquinha , but I am not, and I need to plan for my darling wife, who, for many reasons, some of which are medical, needs to know where we are going to sleep, and certainty of having a bed.
I see your point.

Here might be a useful contact to find out about the Fungalaz hostel:

I found a Facebook posting from Hiking in Portugal of an event of hiking from Tomar to Fatima in October, with the group staying at that hostel.

https://www.facebook.com/events/571295486742225/ (You can usually see FB events even if you don't use FB yourself)

Information is supposed to have been available from geral@hikeinportugal.pt
Contact for clarification: phone 938 574 455 João Russinho

...Long shot, but perhaps Senhor Russinho could tell you something about the hostel and whether it's open, and if so, how to contact them...

Also, looking at the blown-up Google map for Fungalvaz, there are three "casas particulares" shown in the village. Presumably one of these might be able to find you a bed, as well!

Casa do Carvalhal do Pombo
place_gm_blue_24dp.png
Rua Principal 63, 2350-016 Assentiz, Portugal
JG62+JM Fungalvaz, Portugal
phone_gm_blue_24dp.png
+351 914 865 890

Casa

TNV, Rua Moinhos 5, 2350-024, Portugal
Fungalvaz, Portugal (no phone number)

Casas particulares

R. Moinhos,
Fungalvaz, Portugal (again no phone number)

The first is probably your best bet, since it's close to the centre of town and actually has a phone number listed (and has a rating listed--5 stars!)

Just check out Fungalvaz, Portugal on Google Maps and blow it up. The little red bed icons show people offering lodging.

Again, I hope you and your wife have a bom caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Casa do Carvalhal do Pombo
place_gm_blue_24dp.png
Rua Principal 63, 2350-016 Assentiz, Portugal
JG62+JM Fungalvaz, Portugal
phone_gm_blue_24dp.png
+351 914 865 890

When I saw the A on the compact guide, I thought it referred to this place. It has a FB page, and unfortunately, the place has been sold and no longer offers lodging. That's what I referred to in my original post.
The other two would only be useful if I was walking on my own, as I can't contact them.

The Albergue and the B&B I found are my options now.
Obrigado!

....de nada!

This is like a treasure hunt...down the road is Café Churrasqueira O Barril and they have a photo on their Google Map posting (reviews etc.) which shows an arrow to the Albergue...Nostra Senhora das Gracas.. [edit: I see that's the name of the albergue you mentioned above in Charruada...that's about halfway.]

Anyway, the cafe in Fungalvaz is

Café Churrasqueira O Barril
R. do Pinhal 1
Fungalvaz, Torres Novas, Portugal
phone_gm_blue_24dp.png
+351 249 790 267

It looks as if they're set up to receive pilgrims at the cafe, given the size of the place, so they might be able to help you out with info about lodging. Good luck, in any case!

Last edited:
One more possibility, also back in Charruada--depending on how much you want to pay...https://www.viamichelin.es/web/Hotel/Bairro-2350_072-_-1974f733 Moinho da Pena -- lodging in an old windmill. Speaking English and Portuguese--sounds intriguing!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back