• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fav hotel between Porto and Santiago.

Circle56

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2015)
Camino Francés (2020)
Hi, will be walking the CP, beginning in mid-April. Does anyone have a favourite hotel between Porto and Santiago? Preferably a hotel that is close to the actual Camino route. Thanks for any info.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's not a hotel but it is right on the caminho and certainly gets my vote
Washing is done for you, dinner cooked and an amazing breakfast set out in the morning
beautiful setting
inspiring story

Thank you for your speedy reply. I appreciate your info and will be checking it out. It does sound good.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When you arrive in Valença do Minho if you walk north on the Av de Sao Teotonio you can pass through the splendid 17th c. Fortress which resembles a small town. Within the fortress the Pousada de Valença,
aka Sao Teotonio Pousada, is a charming hotel where my husband and I have often stayed in past years in a room with a river view. From the garden of the Pousada you can directly reconnect to the camino path for the famous International Bridge leading north to Tui, Spain.

Last edited:
Although not a hotel, my favorite place to have stayed on the Central Route was Casa de Fernanda in Lugar do Cogar halfway between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. About 10 dorm beds and one private room. Tremendous hospitality! My favorite night on the Camino. Best to make a reservation by calling her.

In Porto, check out the Passenger Hostel right in Sao Bento station. Central to everything; clean and modern with a nice breakfast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've got one for you, or anyone else that comes up the Coastal route but returns to the Central route between Caminha and Tui. I have only stayed there in the Winter, and it was warm and amazing. Prices in the Summer may be a splurge but not anything more than your average NH and certainly less than any Parador. Just a few km beyond Caminha is a village called Seixas (with albergue Sao Bento).

Right next to the church is a home built in 1911, and still stocked with the original furniture alongside a complete restoration and the owners who will happily share the full history. It is a living museum with a generous breakfast.

Villa Idalina

Hi, will be walking the CP, beginning in mid-April. Does anyone have a favourite hotel between Porto and Santiago? Preferably a hotel that is close to the actual Camino route. Thanks for any info.
My two brothers and I walked CP last June. Our two favorite accommodations were:

Villa d'Arcos​

Mercearia da Vila​

Our fav hotel (excluding albergues and the monastery on our first day out) on that route last September was Hotel Virgen del Camino in Pontevedra. Nice room, on the route, in town, close to everything. The albergue is before the town which is a real jewel worth spending some time strolling around. Don't miss the shrine of the Virgen Peregrina.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, thanks for your info. I would like to stay at the monastery too. The 3 of us are walking and getting ready. Looking forward to the CP. Appreciate everyone taking the time to chat with us.

I had my moment of luxury in Ponte de Lima!

Hi, all this information is appreciated. Nice to chat with someone who has stayed at these spots.
Thanks for your help.

When you arrive in Valença do Minho if you walk north on the Av de Sao Teotonio you can pass through the splendid 17th c. Fortress which resembles a small town. Within the fortress the Pousada de Valença,
aka Sao Teotonio Pousada, is a charming hotel where my husband and I have often stayed in past years in a room with a river view. From the garden of the Pousada you can directly reconnect to the camino path for the famous International Bridge leading north to Tui, Spain.
Hi, I will be making a coffee and checking out the spots that people have told me about. We have a snowy day today, so, very pleasant to think about walking the CP.
All your info is great and we appreciate the details. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, thanks for your info. I would like to stay at the monastery too. The 3 of us are walking and getting ready. Looking forward to the CP. Appreciate everyone taking the time to chat with us.
I dont' know your time constraints, but I would encourage you to consider spending time on both the central and coastal. They are very different, each with highlights. We had not intended to do so, but the first two days out of Porto were dispiriting. The walk out of Porto seemed like a forever walk in the city, while the second day was too much highway for our comfort. We made course corrections and ended up zigzaggin back and forth. We found the coastal a much more pleasant and scenic route, while the central had such wonderful towns as Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

Hi, all this information is appreciated. Nice to chat with someone who has stayed at these spots.
Thanks for your help.
Ponte de Lima is indeed the jewel of the first half of the walk from Porto. We decided to go upscale and stayed at Blue House, which provides small apartments like an airbnb. Ultra modern, ultra clean. Seemed like ultra luxury compared to the albergues.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I dont' know your time constraints, but I would encourage you to consider spending time on both the central and coastal. They are very different, each with highlights. We had not intended to do so, but the first two days out of Porto were dispiriting. The walk out of Porto seemed like a forever walk in the city, while the second day was too much highway for our comfort. We made course corrections and ended up zigzaggin back and forth. We found the coastal a much more pleasant and scenic route, while the central had such wonderful towns as Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
Hi, we are all retired and will have a good piece of time. I think it would be great to be able to walk some of the different routes. It will be wonderful to be able to be on the CP. But, we also enjoy having a look at some of the places we may visit. Thanks for your info.

I've got one for you, or anyone else that comes up the Coastal route but returns to the Central route between Caminha and Tui. I have only stayed there in the Winter, and it was warm and amazing. Prices in the Summer may be a splurge but not anything more than your average NH and certainly less than any Parador. Just a few km beyond Caminha is a village called Seixas (with albergue Sao Bento).

Right next to the church is a home built in 1911, and still stocked with the original furniture alongside a complete restoration and the owners who will happily share the full history. It is a living museum with a generous breakfast.

Villa Idalina
Hi, when I read all the answers to my question about fav hotels, I just have to smile. So nice that people take the time to share their ideas and info.
Thanks and I appreciate your help.

I would agree with Kiwi-family. Albergue Quinta Estrada Romana was also our favorite stay. It is (or was) operated by a couple of Canadians (Geof and Leslie) when we were there.
Denis , Calgary, CCoP

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back