• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite albergue in the Camino Frances

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What's your favorite albergue(s) in the Camino Frances and why was it memorable, please.
Casa Susi in Trabadelo is most memorable to me for a few reasons.
The warmth of our hospitalera, Susi and her partner Fermin (if I recall his name correctly) made me turn around and return later in the day to stay the night. There was a wonderful simple group dinner at which everyone was encouraged to tell her or his story. Visitors were encouraged to help with the garden, or sit and talk with others on the lovely patio.
There were no bunks. It was beds all around in the airy and clean dormitory.
It felt like home.
All he best,
Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems that "A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés 2018 version" in the resource section link is not working.

I hope in a year from now everyone who has walked this coming summer says that their favorite is the El Acebo donativo as Patty and I will be the Hospitaleros there Oct 1 thru 15!!! :)
I have stayed in the El Acebo albergue twice, as I always stay in the parochial and other donativo albergues. On the first occasion, I asked for vegetarian food when I signed in, but this message was not passed on to the cook. On the second, a pilgrim woke everyone in the albergue, except herself, by shouting in the middle of the night. All that I remember of the facilities was that in the bathroom water leaked all over and I appeared to have been the only one to attempt to mop up. However, the bunks were comfortable and the hospitaleros, as always, doing their best with what they had. By the way, the shouting pilgrim did not wake the hospitalero. He must have been exhausted. Or maybe he just rolled over and stuffed his earplugs in deeper. Good luck on your new assignment. You may see me again, as I expect to be going through at some point in October.

Alburgue Villares de Orbigo ! The owner, Christine, is from Belgium and a breath of fresh air! She cooks meals in the evening and breakfast in the morning for donativo...fabulous, hearty home cooked meal made and served with love. This is a hard working woman, a pilgrim herself, self taught several languages....I cannot say enough.
Most following guidebook stages stop in Hospital Orbigo, but Villares Orbigo is well worth the few kilometers more....a wonderful, welcoming stay with nice, clean, new amenities.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Albergue Parroquial San Juan Bautista in Grañon. Just a wonderful, warm & welcoming albergue with communal meals, meditation AND a great bar across the road. It's a special place. I blab on a bit more about it here: https://camino-a-go-go.blogspot.com/2018/05/day-9-granon-to-tosantos.html if you're interested. It's also by donation so if you're doing things cheaply, it ticks that box too. What's not to love?!

It seems that "A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés 2018 version" in the resource section link is not working.
I should look for that selection. I'm new here... if you can point me there, would appreciate it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albergue Parroquial San Juan Bautista in Grañon. Just a wonderful, warm & welcoming albergue with communal meals, meditation AND a great bar across the road. It's a special place. I blab on a bit more about it here: https://camino-a-go-go.blogspot.com/2018/05/day-9-granon-to-tosantos.html if you're interested. It's also by donation so if you're doing things cheaply, it ticks that box too. What's not to love?!
Thanks for your input. I love that! I read it and tried to keep reading some of your entries, but cannot find the way to go to the next entry in chronological order... I have to keep going to the beginning... maybe I'm just tired. Buen Camino and good luck planning yours for 2020!

Alburgue Villares de Orbigo ! The owner, Christine, is from Belgium and a breath of fresh air! She cooks meals in the evening and breakfast in the morning for donativo...fabulous, hearty home cooked meal made and served with love. This is a hard working woman, a pilgrim herself, self taught several languages....I cannot say enough.
Most following guidebook stages stop in Hospital Orbigo, but Villares Orbigo is well worth the few kilometers more....a wonderful, welcoming stay with nice, clean, new amenities.
Last November we stayed in Albergue Verde in Hospital which was my favourite night on the camino. However... the next morning after only a short walk we were sniffing around for coffee in Villares and Christine invited us in. Very nice place and vibe. However I think Christine said she is planning to retire soon. So best visit in 2019. And I hope whoever takes it on afterwards maintains her ethos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I should look for that selection. I'm new here... if you can point me there, would appreciate it.
Under the "resources" section (located in the blue bar at the top of the forum page). Not sure if I am not clicking on the right part when I get to the favorite albergues list there, but I can't seem to access it.

Couldn’t agree more with your comments. When I was there last September for the town harvest festival, 3 pilgrims had been staying at the albergue for multiple nights; up to a week. Christine told me in a year she would like to sell it in case anyone is interested.

Under the "resources" section (located in the blue bar at the top of the forum page). Not sure if I am not clicking on the right part when I get to the favorite albergues list there, but I can't seem to access it.
OH! Now I see that there is a "download" tab on the right hand top side of the page!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I so agree. I only did the first half, so can't say anything yet about the albergues after Fromista. I loved Beilari in StJpdP, Maribel Roncal in Cizur Menor, En El Camino in Boadilla, but the one my heart longs to relive again and again is that beautiful evening and night at San Juan Bautista in Granon. The communal meal was not merely eaten together, but cooked together. By then, I knew most people who were in my hiking cohort and had great spiritual exchanges. The night service in the church choir area healed me of a painful gnawing heartache. I love that place.

Couldn’t agree more with your comments. When I was there last September for the town harvest festival, 3 pilgrims had been staying at the albergue for multiple nights; up to a week. Christine told me in a year she would like to sell it in case anyone is interested.

Christine remains a close friend. I was actually the first pilgrim who stayed with her when she opened her albergue. I need to check if selling is still her plan as she's not mentioned it in quite some time. I do know that her life circumstances have changed, so maybe so have her plans. Will check and update :)

@Jeff Mayor... I just spoke with Christine on FaceTime. She does not expect to retire before 2020 and plans to have her alburgue open for all of 2019 and 2020 as it is her livelihood until retirement. I think that's excellent news for the pilgrims! She is open now after a short Christmas holiday away. **** posted reply/update Jan 18, 2019.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes!
I stayed there and was completely content to relax and let the evening roll in. It’s located across from a bar that can serve above-average food.
Christine was warm and very friendly, and we shared a glass or two of wine and talked as she folded napkins and my clothes dried. The evening meal and breakfast was just as you say, warm, friendly and open.
I left Villares happy and full of lentils, with the glow of good fellowship that lasts even until now.
All the best,
Paul

Ah memories! This became a favorite albergue because of ease of access through the unlocked door during a winter storm. Unfortunately this special spot is no more but the pleasure of being protected while the night wind howled and the snow fell will never be forgoten.

Here is my blog of February 25, 26, 2006, written in Villafranca re that famous snowstorm 13 years ago.

"By the time I trekked 10 k to Villafranca Montes de Oca the Camino was covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. After lunch in a truck stop, I went to the municipal albergue. No one was about, but the front door and one dormitory were open. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. How lucky I was!

About 9 pm. the front door banged open followed by steps up the stairs. Resembling snow-covered yetis, two pilgrims stood at the foot of my bunk! One guy was French, the other Brazilian. We introduced ourselves and shared many cups of hot tea....Early in the morning the Frenchman left. Outside was a winter wonderland. The snow continued to fall. Bundling up for the storm plastic bags over socks served as makeshift gaiters. Outside the snow reached mid-shin. No trail could be seen; only a few markers affixed to trees were apparent. Walking was treacherous. At a road crossing the Brazilian and I were intercepted by the Guarda Civil in a four-wheel drive. Firmly stating that our lives were imperiled the police insisted on us returning to the albergue. ...By mid-morning the next day the storm was over and we went on to Burgos."

Last edited:
What's your favorite albergue(s) in the Camino Frances and why was it memorable, please.
El Encanto in Villares de Obrigo was a beautiful facility...an old house completely redone but maintained the architecture and charm. I had a private room—needed to heal some injuries and get some real rest and the room was as nice as any beautiful hotel anywhere in the world. Proprietor was gracious and caring. Wish I could have spent more time , maybe a week there.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I so agree. I only did the first half, so can't say anything yet about the albergues after Fromista. I loved Beilari in StJpdP, Maribel Roncal in Cizur Menor, En El Camino in Boadilla, but the one my heart longs to relive again and again is that beautiful evening and night at San Juan Bautista in Granon. The communal meal was not merely eaten together, but cooked together. By then, I knew most people who were in my hiking cohort and had great spiritual exchanges. The night service in the church choir area healed me of a painful gnawing heartache. I love that place.
Thank you, Thomas!

Ah memories! This became a favorite albergue because of ease of access through the unlocked door during a winter storm. Unfortunately this special spot is no more but the pleasure of being protected while the night wind howled and the snow fell will never be forgoten.

Here is my blog of February 25, 26, 2006, written in Villafranca re that famous snowstorm 13 years ago.

"By the time I trekked 10 k to Villafranca Montes de Oca the Camino was covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. After lunch in a truck stop, I went to the municipal albergue. No one was about, but the front door and one dormitory were open. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. How lucky I was!

About 9 pm. the front door banged open followed by steps up the stairs. Resembling snow-covered yetis, two pilgrims stood at the foot of my bunk! One guy was French, the other Brazilian. We introduced ourselves and shared many cups of hot tea....Early in the morning the Frenchman left. Outside was a winter wonderland. The snow continued to fall. Bundling up for the storm plastic bags over socks served as makeshift gaiters. Outside the snow reached mid-shin. No trail could be seen; only a few markers affixed to trees were apparent. Walking was treacherous. At a road crossing the Brazilian and I were intercepted by the Guarda Civil in a four-wheel drive. Firmly stating that our lives were imperiled the police insisted on us returning to the albergue. ...By mid-morning the next day the storm was over and we went on to Burgos."
I'm sorry, I missed it. What was your fav albergue? Nice memory you shared!

The albergue mentioned above in 2006 was the Villafranca Montes d'Oca municipal. It has since been shut.

However, during the past recent 10 years of walking I have spent roughly 450 nights in albergues; thus there are many favorites!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I absolutely loved the little Albergue O Cruceiro between Portomarín and Ligonde. On the left in this tiny village with a cafe and pension with private rooms in addition to the albergue. Family-owned and operated, the Mom lent me clothes when my bag didn’t show up, daughter called Portomarín, found my bag and had it there next morning. Delicious food, and a cool 12th century pilgrim hospital in the village.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Beilari in St Jean Pied de Port. A very special place, we forged bonds on that very precious first night before we set out, and those new friends became the core of our Camino family. A shared meal, shared purposes, a few tears shed, and plenty of hugs.

I absolutely loved the little Albergue O Cruceiro between Portomarín and Ligonde. On the left in this tiny village with a cafe and pension with private rooms in addition to the albergue. Family-owned and operated, the Mom lent me clothes when my bag didn’t show up, daughter called Portomarín, found my bag and had it there next morning. Delicious food, and a cool 12th century pilgrim hospital in the village.
In Ventas de Narón. Thanks for your input!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In rereading this thread, I have realized that for me there is little point in naming one favourite albergue. There are types of albergues that I value for very different things. First will always (I hope) be those donativo albergues that make a priority of serving pilgrims and making community. For me, they are the heart of the Camino Frances, although their facilities and meals may be very simple indeed. I shall be volunteering at one this fall. Next, for me, are those private albergues which offer special meals, services and comfort. Among these I prize my experiences at Casa Magica in Villatuerta and at La Finca, just past Poblacion. I have stayed at both twice. For me, these are the paradors of the Frances. But I had very little contact with other pilgrims at either. Still, it was wonderful to have some privacy, a more comfortable place to sleep and quality meals. There may be other private albergues which offer equal luxury and are worth sharing your experiences. But I would never miss a donativo on the Frances, regardless of other factors. They are all wonderful. And of course there are municipal albergues and the Xunta albergues, which offer a place to sleep at a reasonable rate. This may be the first requirement of many pilgrims and is certainly valued. Those of us who have walked the Frances can count many blessings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In rereading this thread, I have realized that for me there is little point in naming one favourite albergue. There are types of albergues that I value for very different things. First will always (I hope) be those donativo albergues that make a priority of serving pilgrims and making community. For me, they are the heart of the Camino Frances, although their facilities and meals may be very simple indeed. I shall be volunteering at one this fall. Next, for me, are those private albergues which offer special meals, services and comfort. Among these I prize my experiences at Casa Magica in Villatuerta and at La Finca, just past Poblacion. I have stayed at both twice. For me, these are the paradors of the Frances. But I had very little contact with other pilgrims at either. Still, it was wonderful to have some privacy, a more comfortable place to sleep and quality meals. There may be other private albergues which offer equal luxury and are worth sharing your experiences. But I would never miss a donativo on the Frances, regardless of other factors. They are all wonderful. And of course there are municipal albergues and the Xunta albergues, which offer a place to sleep at a reasonable rate. This may be the first requirement of many pilgrims and is certainly valued. Those of us who have walked the Frances can count many blessings.
Totally agree with you, that's why I asked why it is special. Thanks for your input!

Casa del Pescador in Ambasmestas, before going up O'Cebriero! It's a private albergue owned and run by a friendly Russian couple who are happy to give you a chat. The gentleman is really into fly fishing and built a trout pond on the property with a boardwalk all the way around. You can pay to take fly fishing lessons and even eat your catch for dinner. The property is by the river away from any villages so it's very quiet and has extensive green space with lots of picnic benches and even some hammocks. They have a menu available all day and the food is amazing, so even if you can't stay, at least stop by for a meal! I stayed the night; dinner was a light and amazing family-style meal with a light green salad, a squash soup, homemade wine, trout, rice, and fresh snap peas. They advertise "NO TOAST!" - and indeed, breakfast was HEARTY: a couple thick slices of bacon, what seemed like 4 eggs, and a MASSIVE slab of bread with BUTTER. (They'll also do pancakes and who knows what else). The bunks were standard metal but very clean. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dcd.jpg

This is good to know, and I’m definitely guilty of this, but one of my favorite albergue is in Hospital Orbigo at Casa Verde... what an experience! Definitely felt the ❤️ and the Camino spirit... or maybe it was hunger ... chiste

This is just one of my favorites, there’s a handful that are my favorite, due mostly to the people who ran them, and the energy and love they gave off. It ranged from albergues to donativos, monjas to hospitalieros.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Casa del Pescador in Ambasmestas, before going up O'Cebriero! It's a private albergue owned and run by a friendly Russian couple who are happy to give you a chat. The gentleman is really into fly fishing and built a trout pond on the property with a boardwalk all the way around. You can pay to take fly fishing lessons and even eat your catch for dinner. The property is by the river away from any villages so it's very quiet and has extensive green space with lots of picnic benches and even some hammocks. They have a menu available all day and the food is amazing, so even if you can't stay, at least stop by for a meal! I stayed the night; dinner was a light and amazing family-style meal with a light green salad, a squash soup, homemade wine, trout, rice, and fresh snap peas. They advertise "NO TOAST!" - and indeed, breakfast was HEARTY: a couple thick slices of bacon, what seemed like 4 eggs, and a MASSIVE slab of bread with BUTTER. (They'll also do pancakes and who knows what else). The bunks were standard metal but very clean.

My son, Caleb, and i stayed there last October and enjoyed the stay.

Casa del Pescador in Ambasmestas, before going up O'Cebriero! It's a private albergue owned and run by a friendly Russian couple who are happy to give you a chat. The gentleman is really into fly fishing and built a trout pond on the property with a boardwalk all the way around. You can pay to take fly fishing lessons and even eat your catch for dinner. The property is by the river away from any villages so it's very quiet and has extensive green space with lots of picnic benches and even some hammocks. They have a menu available all day and the food is amazing, so even if you can't stay, at least stop by for a meal! I stayed the night; dinner was a light and amazing family-style meal with a light green salad, a squash soup, homemade wine, trout, rice, and fresh snap peas. They advertise "NO TOAST!" - and indeed, breakfast was HEARTY: a couple thick slices of bacon, what seemed like 4 eggs, and a MASSIVE slab of bread with BUTTER. (They'll also do pancakes and who knows what else). The bunks were standard metal but very clean. View attachment 51203
I second that, they were lovely people. Most of the food served is grown themselves. This is their cat. We had the wonderful restful afternoon there.

Attachments

• 20170611_110300.jpg
    20170611_110300.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I so agree. I only did the first half, so can't say anything yet about the albergues after Fromista. I loved Beilari in StJpdP, Maribel Roncal in Cizur Menor, En El Camino in Boadilla.

A vote from me for this place. The alberque grounds and rooms are great, and as for the same ownership hotel next door, very nicely set out and great people who speak English. Both have swimming pools too in regular season which are treats.

This is almost exactly halfway between hontanes and Carillon de la condes. In my opinion, no need to go to Fromista today with this little gem waiting you

(Typed as i’m lying in bed after pilgrims meal of superb spaghetti bolognese and a half chicken and salad that fell apart beautifully when cut into.. great cooking)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My favorite was the albergue in Ventas de Naron - not far past Portomarin. Family that runs it was so helpful, food was great, village tiny and lovely! Pilgrim hospital there dating to about 1100. Very small - I guess not too many pilgrims could get sick?😊

My favorite was the albergue in Ventas de Naron - not far past Portomarin. Family that runs it was so helpful, food was great, village tiny and lovely! Pilgrim hospital there dating to about 1100. Very small - I guess not too many pilgrims could get sick?😊
Hey thanks for this recommendation - can you remember which albergue in Ventas de Naron?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back