• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Communal Meal Recipes

D

Deleted member 43985

Hi All

As I get ready for my winter Camino I wanted to ask everyone if they have a favorite communal dinner recipe/dish they would share. Eating at Bar from the Pilgrim Menu is nice sometimes but the communal dinners were some of the best moments shared on the Camino and my hope is to share many more this time around. That said, my standard box of pasta and jar of sauce will only take me so far!

I'd really appreciate to hear your favorite Albergue dishes and recipes so I can share them in January with new friends made along the way :)

Thanks in advance,
Jordon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A curry is wonderful in winter and ingredients easy to find an inexpensive: rice, lentils/chickpeas, a can or two of tomatos, onions and garlic. All you need to bring is some curry powder. And if your bunkmates are feeling rich, or you do, add some chicken in there.

How about a gratin of thinly sliced carrots, potatoes or sweeet potatoes and turnip baked in some chicken or veggie broth and then topped with some lovely local cheese.

Or bring a small can of jalapenos and make a batch of frijoles. Cook the beans and add to them at the end a mix of fried onion and garlic.

A ratatouille on rice: onion, garlic, peppers, zucchini, eggplant. Feeling rich, add some hamburger meat and if you have cinamom then it’s moussaka like, with or without a bechamel.

Or rice with frozen green beans, with some raisins amd cashews.

Feeling rich and like fish: start rinsing bacalao the second you get to the albergue. Friy some onion, mix in cauliflower broken up in rice like pieces, add some frozen green peas and add the bacalao in small pieces.

Or a cheese tasting: buy superb bread (well, as superb as you can find) and all sorts of different cheeses, could even make it like a cheese fondue with melted cheese. Just add a few pickled bits and some nutmeg.

Soupe à l’onion, or its cousin, sopa de ajo.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A curry is wonderful in winter and ingredients easy to find an inexpensive: rice, lentils/chickpeas, a can or two of tomatos, onions and garlic. All you need to bring is some curry powder. And if your bunkmates are feeling rich, or you do, add some chicken in there.

How about a gratin of thinly sliced carrots, potatoes or sweeet potatoes and turnip baked in some chicken or veggie broth and then topped with some lovely local cheese.

Or bring a small can of jalapenos and make a batch of frijoles. Cook the beans and add to them at the end a mix of fried onion and garlic.

A ratatouille on rice: onion, garlic, peppers, zucchini, eggplant. Feeling rich, add some hamburger meat and if you have cinamom then it’s moussaka like, with or without a bechamel.

Or rice with frozen green beans, with some raisins amd cashews.

Feeling rich and like fish: start rinsing bacalao the second you get to the albergue. Friy some onion, mix in cauliflower broken up in rice like pieces, add some frozen green peas and add the bacalao in small pieces.

Or a cheese tasting: buy superb bread (well, as superb as you can find) and all sorts of different cheeses, could even make it like a cheese fondue with melted cheese. Just add a few pickled bits and some nutmeg.

Soupe à l’onion, or its cousin, sopa de ajo.
Wonderful!! Thank you, @Anemone del Camino, I’ve started a recipe section on the back pages of my new journal and can’t wait to fire these up. Heck, might even test these at home before I leave too :D

I haven’t cooked this Spanish potato salad in Spain but I cook it all the time at home, especially if I’m asked to bring a dish to a shared meal. Add side dishes you want such as quartered hard boiled eggs, sliced chorizo if you eat meat, asparagus spears from a bottle, a green salad...whatever!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241930/savory-spanish-potato-salad/
Looks complicated but its very little cooking - just boiling potatoes and eggs. The rest is chopping so this task can be shared by a group of people. It’s delish eaten warm and would make a change from the usual pasta con tomate.
Buen provecho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jordan,

Here is my version of Curried Potato that I made for our Camino group dinner. Ingredients are readily available in most of tiendas, even in small village (I bring my own little pouch of curry powder), all done in one big pot, no big clean up.

2-4 potato
1 onion
1 jar of chickpea
1 teaspoon curry powder or more if you like
Chorizo (optional)
Milk (2 cups or so, you can also use water)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method: dice onion, chorizo and cube potato. Heat up vegetable oil in a large pot, throw in onion first, then potato, chorizo and curry powder, stir a few times until everything is aromatic. Pour milk in, turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until potato is soft and done. Add a little more liquid if you want it saucy. Serve with bread.

Same recipe can be adapted to Vegetable Stew with Red Wine, replace the milk with 2 cups of red wine and don't use the curry powder, add a can of tomato sauce for to deepen the flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2-4 potato
1 onion
1 jar of chickpea
Chorizo (optional)
2 cup of red wine
1 can tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Method: dice onion, chorizo and cube potato. Heat up vegetable oil in a large pot, throw in onion first, then potato, chorizo , stir a few times until everything is aromatic. Pour red wine in, turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until potato is soft and done. Add a little more liquid if you want the stew saucy. The potato and chickpea will absorbed the wonderful flavor of red wine. Serve with bread and enjoy the rest of wine.

Here is my version of Vegetable Soup, also can be done in one pot. Most of ingredients you can find them in the tienda.

2-3 potato, cubed
1 onion, diced
seasonal vegetable (carrots or whatever hardy root vegetable is available)
1 package of Knorr soup mix (it seems most of tienda sells Knorr soup mix)
Chorizo (optional)
Pepper to taste (no salt, the soup mix is very salty already)

Method: put everything into a pot, add about 3 or 4 cups of water, simmer on mid heat until potato is tender. You can also throw a few pieces of pasta half way to add more substance. Omit chorizo if you want it to be an vegetarian friendly soup. If you are in a large town with super mercado, replace Knorr soup mix with ready made soup that come in tetra-pack container. Serve with bread.

The food might be rustic and simple, but cooking with my "Camino Family" and break bread with them was truly an unforgettable Camino experience. Buen Camino! -Dennis

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Curry and chorizo. That has got to be the first time I hear of this combination. Really? I have some chorizo hanging from the kitchen ceiling, I might give it a try.

A tin of coconut cream is my secret ingredient. With that and a spice mixture it is easy to make delicious Thai curries with pretty much anything that is to hand.
I love this idea almost as much as I love a good curry! Curious if you found spices in little tiendas along the way? I’m thing a small container of a spice blend might be a worthwhile 1-2oz of pack weight? And I think a person might find a powdered coconut milk somewhere too as I’m imagining only finding the canned product in larger supermercados. After these two bits though, sky is the limit for a perfect winter dish! Thanks for that :)

Hi Jordan,

Here is my version of Curried Potato that I made for our Camino group dinner. Ingredients are readily available in most of tiendas, even in small village (I bring my own little pouch of curry powder), all done in one big pot, no big clean up.

2-4 potato
1 onion
1 jar of chickpea
1 teaspoon curry powder or more if you like
Chorizo (optional)
Milk (2 cups or so, you can also use water)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method: dice onion, chorizo and cube potato. Heat up vegetable oil in a large pot, throw in onion first, then potato, chorizo and curry powder, stir a few times until everything is aromatic. Pour milk in, turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until potato is soft and done. Add a little more liquid if you want it saucy. Serve with bread.

Same recipe can be adapted to Vegetable Stew with Red Wine, replace the milk with 2 cups of red wine and don't use the curry powder, add a can of tomato sauce for to deepen the flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2-4 potato
1 onion
1 jar of chickpea
Chorizo (optional)
2 cup of red wine
1 can tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Method: dice onion, chorizo and cube potato. Heat up vegetable oil in a large pot, throw in onion first, then potato, chorizo , stir a few times until everything is aromatic. Pour red wine in, turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until potato is soft and done. Add a little more liquid if you want the stew saucy. The potato and chickpea will absorbed the wonderful flavor of red wine. Serve with bread and enjoy the rest of wine.

Here is my version of Vegetable Soup, also can be done in one pot. Most of ingredients you can find them in the tienda.

2-3 potato, cubed
1 onion, diced
seasonal vegetable (carrots or whatever hardy root vegetable is available)
1 package of Knorr soup mix (it seems most of tienda sells Knorr soup mix)
Chorizo (optional)
Pepper to taste (no salt, the soup mix is very salty already)

Method: put everything into a pot, add about 3 or 4 cups of water, simmer on mid heat until potato is tender. You can also throw a few pieces of pasta half way to add more substance. Omit chorizo if you want it to be an vegetarian friendly soup. If you are in a large town with super mercado, replace Knorr soup mix with ready made soup that come in tetra-pack container. Serve with bread.

The food might be rustic and simple, but cooking with my "Camino Family" and break bread with them was truly an unforgettable Camino experience. Buen Camino! -Dennis
Cheers, Dennis! I’m a huge fan of rustic cooking, especially in the winter when these dishes warm the soul and have the ability to bring people together. Thanks for your recipes, they are going in the book!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven’t cooked this Spanish potato salad in Spain but I cook it all the time at home, especially if I’m asked to bring a dish to a shared meal. Add side dishes you want such as quartered hard boiled eggs, sliced chorizo if you eat meat, asparagus spears from a bottle, a green salad...whatever!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241930/savory-spanish-potato-salad/
Looks complicated but its very little cooking - just boiling potatoes and eggs. The rest is chopping so this task can be shared by a group of people. It’s delish eaten warm and would make a change from the usual pasta con tomate.
Buen provecho
Warm salad really got me thinking... I’ve had a warm spinach salad here at home and wonder if I can get fresh spinach there? Can’t remember seeing it but hoping I can in the larger supermercados like Dia! The potatoe salad will definitely fly as I’m sure those ingredients will be available. Thanks!

Galician Style Octopus - a traditional Spanish recipe, super easy to make!

Ingredients for Galician style octopus (4 people)
Frozen octopus or boiled, about 2 to 3 kg.
Paprika, spicy or sweet, according to taste.
• 3 or 4 medium potatoes
• Thick salt
Olive oil

Steps to make Galician style octopus (4 people)

1. First, we boil the potatoes. We pour plenty of water with a handful of salt into a casserole, and we put the potatoes in it. We bring it to boil and let it cook for about 30 min. When we prick with a knife and it comes out of the potato without difficulty, they will be ready.

2. Let the potatoes cool and peel them. Then, we cut them in slices about 0.5 to 1cm thick approx. and place them on a plate. A wooden plate is traditionally used, but you can do it on a ceramic one.

3. Chopped the boiled octopus in small pieces, about one finger thick. It’s easier to use scissors than a knife for the cutting. Then, put it on top of the potatoes.

4. Finally, season with a large amount of paprika on top, a drip of olive oil – extra virgin better – and thick salt.

And that’s it! We have our Galician style octopus ready to eat.
Extra tip: if you prefer to eat it warm, put it in the microwave for about 30 secs

Screenshot-2018-2-14 Pulpo Gallega Fotografías e imágenes de stock Getty Images(4).png

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A good, quick (and) inexpensive meal I've cooked a few times on camino and always goes down well is a seafood stew served with copious quantity of door step-sized crusty bread.

Ingredients: Fruite da mare (mixed seafood), any available in shell seafood and whole unpeeled prawns plus any firm white fish, garlic, shallots or onions, can of tomatoes, tomato pure, chicken stock, celery, carrots (anything to hand), big bunch of parsely, a giant doorstep-sized crusty loaf, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika.

Fry the shallots/onions in oil till translucent, add garlic, paprika, tomato pure, fry for a while, add half bottle cheapo white wine to deglaze and then reduce. Add1/2l stock, tin toms (or 2 depending on No of eaters), chuck in the veg, then simmer for 10 mins. Add seafood mix and cook 5 mins, then add white fish chunks and any inshell beasties and put lid on - cook 5-10 mins (e.g till shells open). Salt an pepper to taste. Throw in a forest of parsely and serve. Plonk it in the centre of the table and ladle it around. Mop up with monster chunks of crusty bread. Make life-long friends.

(Tip- only buy frozen seafood from bigger dependable chain stores, i.e. not from small village convenience stores with tiny deep freezers - I speak from experience).

What a great thread. Next Camino I'm definitely going to make more of my own meals. I'm the type of cook who uses every burner on the hob and takes two hours, so having some tips that won't make everyone else in the albergue hate me is a good thing :)

SALT COD can be purchased in many of the open air markets along the way. It doesn't need to be refrigerated. I just carry it in my pack. Here is the recipe I use and every time I make this, pilgrims come from out of the woodwork following the delicious fragrance of the dish.

You will need:
Some pieces of salt cod
Fresh tomatoes
onion
garlic
butter or olive oil

Traditionally, salt cod is soaked overnight in water or milk. But in this case, you are a pilgrim with just an hour or two before dinner. So I put the cod in a pan of water and bring it to a simmer. I drain the water and replace it with fresh water several times, each time tasting the cod to see if it's still too salty. Don't BOIL it - just get the water hot enough to pull out the salt. This usually takes maybe 45 minutes. Once the salt cod rehydrates, I begin breaking it up in pieces so the water can penetrate more. Once it's done, I shred the cod with my fingers.

While the cod is desalting, start your sauce.

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add minced garlic and chopped onions and cook until the onions are clear (not brown, but clear).
Chop up the tomatoes and add them.
Bring this to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer into a sauce.

Once the fish has enough salt taken out, add it to the sauce and let it simmer in there for maybe 15 minutes.

Serve with rice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a great thread. Next Camino I'm definitely going to make more of my own meals. I'm the type of cook who uses every burner on the hob and takes two hours, so having some tips that won't make everyone else in the albergue hate me is a good thing :)

Yes, One pot recipies are everyone's friend.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.