• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Leg/Section

Juspassinthru

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2017, Inglés 2019, Aragónes 2024
Having now completed the Camino Francés and Camino Inglés and having read many posts by the experienced and first time Pilgrims represented here. My question is this: Regardless of the route, What’s your favorite leg/section and why? Thank you all in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There might be recency bias in this choice, but probably my favourite single day on any camino was the mountain pass on the Camino de Madrid this year between Cercedilla and Segovia. We saw ruins, we walked on snow, we walked on a Roman road, we walked in fog and sub-zero temperatures but then under blue skies, and we had it all to ourselves. Here’s my post about it from my live thread.

Last edited:
Without a doubt for me it has always been and shall be Roncesvalles where I have had ten exhausted but memorable stops during past caminos. Staying there one sensed history in the continuous monastic tradition of welcome to all.

January 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery ! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only one staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction for pilgrims. It was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time. ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buiza-Campomanes in El Salvador
Almadén de la Plata-Real de la Jara in Via de la Plata
Cosgaya-Pandetrave in Lebaniego
Monforte-Chantada in Invierno
Pasajes de San Juan - San Sebastián in Norte
Somport-Villanúa in Aragonés
Porto-Angeiras in Portuguese
Tineo-Obanos in Primitivo
SJPP-Roncesvalles via Napoleon Route

so many!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Impossible to choose for me. Whether a section is my favorite section very much depends on my mood. I have fond memories of the walk into Burgos, with all its industrial and suburban beauty, and remember it as a favorite section. I was in a very good mood that day.

Impossible to choose for me. Whether a section is my favorite section very much depends on my mood. I have fond memories of the walk into Burgos, with all its industrial and suburban beauty, and remember it as a favorite section. I was in a very good mood that day.

My favourite leg/legs ? The ones I'm standing on at any given moment on the trail :) :)

The Malingerer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Frances : everything between Burgos and Leon, aka the Meseta ;)

On the Portugues : the walk from Porto to Vila do Conde. Ah the ocean!

To Finisterre : the first glimpse of the beach there.

On the Via de Bayona : the last five kilometres walking up to Pancorbo.

On the Camino Ingles : walking into Pontedeume. The first glimpse of the houses and their reflection in the water when crossing the bridge.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
CF: crossing that giant gate in Burgos and seeing the cathedral was so magic! And kinda for the same reason, the arrival on Cebreiro and then sitting on that ancient church.

CP: the most memorable was pebble hill before the alto da portela. My favorite was probably Pontevedra.

Lebaniego: the Rio Robero variant to bypass Cabanas. Probably one of the most beautiful places on earth I've ever seen.

My experiences are limited to two times on Frances - 2015 bike; 2017 walked and I am at a cross roads:
1. from Astorga to Rabanal - that 350 metre climb sneeks up on you;
2. the last day, the10-15 km through the forests and on to the Monte do Gozo (that first glimpse of the Cathedral);
3. the Meseta - especially the climb out of Castrojeriz, up the alto - the view behind and the one ahead filled me with inspiration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Of the Camino Francés in Spain: the first section in Galicia, coming down from O Cebreiro to O Biduedo and beyond, stands out in my memory. Perhaps because the scenery was so unexpected for me.

I had rarely stopped so many times to enjoy the views near and far as then. So many shades of green, the stonewalls far away creating patterns in the pleasantly undulating landscape, every space on the stonewalls near me densely covered in so many small plants of different shades and shapes, tiny streamlets babbling right and left, walking above the clouds one time and above the dense white morning mist in the valley another time ... and all this green everywhere.

Last edited:
Foncebadón to Molinaseca or from the Somport pass down to Canfranc due to nature,
Merida on VdlP due to history.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino del Norte: Irun-San Sebastian, Deba-Markina-Guernika
Camino Primitivo: Campiello to Berducedo via hospitales
San Salvador: La Robla to Poladura and Poladura to Campomanes
Portugues via variante espiritual: Combarra to Armenteira and Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa on the route of stome and water!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having now completed the Camino Francés and Camino Inglés and having read many posts by the experienced and first time Pilgrims represented here. My question is this: Regardless of the route, What’s your favorite leg/section and why? Thank you all in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The most memorable for me has nothing to do with location. It was walking out of Pamplona of a Wednesday morning in September 2017 wondering what were the chances of meeting a wonderful lady who patiently encouraged me over the Pyrenees on the Sunday. Lo and behold she took a wrong turn to stand out from the crowd and we walked and talked. Oh what a blessed gift from the Camino.

The last time I walkied the CF I climbed O Cebrerio without other folk.
The peace, the tranquility, the beauty and the quietness is still with me today and I hope that feeling never leaves.
Awesome is a word bandied about these days but it sums up eve I described.
I hope others felt this as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The last time I walkied the CF I climbed O Cebrerio without other folk.
The peace, the tranquility, the beauty and the quietness is still with me today and I hope that feeling never leaves.
Awesome is a word bandied about these days but it sums up eve I described.
I hope others felt this as well.
That climb is also one of my favorites. I’ve done it as a solo but also with a close friend, both are memorable.

I loved the first day starting out at SJPP, all that anticipation and the beauty of the scenery;
I very much enjoyed walking out of Villafranca de Montes de Oca all by myself through a misty forest in the first morning light;
but I will never forget how I felt walking up to and reaching O'Cebreiro on a beautiful june morning: blister free for the first time after hundreds of kilometers, in great shape and with strong legs, in the company of a wonderful friend I had made on the camino, with those gorgeous views all around – I wasn't just feeling happy, I WAS happiness.

SJPDP to Lograño and Astoria to O Cebriero. I guess because I loved the variety of the countryside and the rolling hills. Oh, and the wine!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with others who have said that (a) it is impossible to pick just one and (b) it depends on so many factors other than the geography of the leg/section: your mood, the weather, whom you are walking with, etc.

In 1989, the standout leg was the one ending in O Cebreiro where I ended up sleeping in front of the fireplace in the (full) inn.

In 2016, it is probably either Zariquiegui to Puente la Reina (via Eunate which was very nice to see) or Cee to Finisterre (along the beach to complete our Camino).

In 2018, it was probably Vila Cha to Barcelos purely because of the company I was keeping (not to knock my excellent companions on other legs of that Camino).

That's what I am thinking in this moment. Tomorrow I may have different answers for the same Caminos.

1. SJPdP to Roncesvalles
2. Roncesvalles to Viskarret
3. Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo - see photo below taken May 2019.
...but really, I loved every day of our Camino, each was a gift to be unwrapped as we walked.

Attachments

• 20191219_141124_compress16.jpg
    20191219_141124_compress16.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

€60,-
I have loved all the various routes I have walked on 5 caminos, but one of the standouts for me as an epitome of the Frances route has been from Fonsebadon to Molinaseca. Gorgeous views and flowers of lavendar, white and yellow in spring on the way to El Acebo and then the bluestone slate paths from there on down to Molinaseca.
20150505_103450.jpg

Can I nominate two faves please :) St.JPdP to Roncesvalle, and some of the explanation is here https://readingontheroad54893552.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/picture-perfect/
Second the last couple of hours into O’Cebriery - especially if it has snowed the night before. Dreamy.

€83,-
1. Meseta. One stretch leaving Grañon with that long winding road ahead was so peaceful. When, I walked during harvest time; loved the sun burnt brown countryside, and the fat grapes on the vine. And, in winter, green grass was ever so lovely.

2. SJPP to Roncesvalles. At one point the trees on the side it mountain appear to be horizontal to the path catching the sun’s rays: my, my. Also, for sense of wonder; what will this pilgrimage hold.

3. River walk into Burgos, long, long, long, but knobby trees along the river made me happy.

4. Big hill out of Ourense to Cea. I did it! After too many hours and sit downs to rest, but I summited!

Yes, the day from SJPP to Roncesvalles was both beautiful and filled with a sense of exhausted joy. The Meseta was for me, days of need introspection.

When I first posted my question I knew that there was no right answer, how could there be? I also knew that it would be difficult to come up with a single answer and for some, maybe there is no answer.

I hope that for the many veteran Pilgrims who participated, my question brought back a flood of memories and put a smile on your face.

I also hope that for those planning their first Camino or dreaming about this wonderful journey that you see and hear about what awaits you.

Buen Camino to you all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Aragones: Somport to Jaca except for the part near Castiello de Jaca where I fell on my face. Beautiful mountains and the many hundreds of years of history represented.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Aragones: Somport to Jaca except for the part near Castiello de Jaca where I fell on my face. Beautiful mountains and the many hundreds of years of history represented.
Actually, probably sections of the Aragonés were the most memorable to me, for the ‘wow’ factor and the awsome solitude....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Galicia the wine 🍷 was brilliant People even better the accomplishments were starting to set in and rainy days I hated in any section because most people used buses trains or taxis and booked out all the good Albergues before I got there wet as a shag. Los H to Triestacella horse up the mountain to OC walk and bike down the hill was the highlight of the trip and LEON you must stay a day

Can I nominate two faves please :) St.JPdP to Roncesvalle, and some of the explanation is here https://readingontheroad54893552.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/picture-perfect/
Second the last couple of hours into O’Cebriery - especially if it has snowed the night before. Dreamy.
Snow haha not for an Aussie thank you I remember back in 2017 in Galicia when fires were lit by the basque separatist when they were trying to become separated from Spain that I thought I was back in Australia But still loved it

My question is this: Regardless of the route, What’s your favorite leg/section and why?

I walked the Frances in 2015 -- and my favourite leg/section was really dependent on the people around me. I walked with some fellow Canadians that I met walking up the hill out of St Jean PDP, and there were lovely memories as we experienced a bunch of "firsts." By the third week, we went our separate ways (they had a much tighter agenda than I did) but we then felt like Camino veterans. There were the alburgues with delightful hosts and generous hospitality. Some of my favourite photos were along the Meseta, where the solitude re-introduced me to music that I played for hours every day. My favourite city was Ponferrada where I stayed for an overnight in a hotel near the beautiful downtown park. The eucalyptus glades in Galicia were amazing to walk through. As you can probably figure out, I could no more pick a favourite leg/section than I could my favourite child!

Buen Camino!

David

- The flat lookout a couple of corners just before Orisson, fabulous looking back down the valley while realising that you have just conquered the steepest part.
- Sitting in a fairie circle, under a tree, looking back towards Zizur Mayor, across the wheat fields on the climb up to Alto del Perdon. The wind played with the wheat and time shifted for me so that I expected that the next person that I would see walking up the trail would be a Centurion and his horse.
- Watching the (imaginary) miniature ponies dancing in herds across the golden wheat heads as the wind gusts slalomed across the hills in the valley below me as I walked into a tiny village with a name I can no longer remember, just East of Burgos.

Last edited:
Hard to pick just one, there are so many that stick out in my mind. I would have to say number 1 would be reaching the summit at O Cebreiro what a climb what a view, The walk between Villafranca and Las Herrerias also comes to mind as does walking through the Yew Tree Forests in Galicia. It is hard to choose as there is physical beauty and then there are the places that have somewhat more spiritual meaning like the Cathedral In Burgos or in Sarria and of course arriving into Santiago and hearing the magical bagpipes.

Attachments

• 0101.jpg
    0101.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
I was only able to go from Sarria to SdeC, but that first day between Sarria and Portomarín was beautiful. Most of it was not in roads. The scenery was beautiful, and for us the weather was great. It is my best memory of the experience, other than praying at the grave of St. James.

SJPP to Roncevalles via Napoleon route in the rain and mist. Completely magical. We could hear the bells from the sheep or cows or horses before we saw them. They would rise magically out of the mist. The forested section before you get to the highest point, shrowded in mist, was other-worldly. I was certain we would see a unicorn. We didn't mind the rain at all, loved it, so much better than a hot sunny climb. To be fair, the wind wasn't bad, the rain was only occasionally heavy, we had properly trained and had the right gear. Besides, we were stoked just to be doing it.

Snow haha not for an Aussie thank you I remember back in 2017 in Galicia when fires were lit by the basque separatist when they were trying to become separated from Spain that I thought I was back in Australia But still loved it
1i’m kinda Aussie too :) but love walking through bits of snow!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked a few of the main routes but the stage that stands out to me above all others is on the Camino Olvidado between Puente-Almuhey to Cistierna 24kms when I wrote in my blog:
Had a lazy day today as it was a short hike ……….. this stage it is absolutely wonderful. In fact if I wanted to show someone the essence of a camino I would take them on this stage. It has everything - gentle stroll through pastures with the donging of cow bells, woods and forests. Good tracks, including a little bit of very quiet road, rural tracks, forest trails and the equivalent of goat trails! There are panoramic views, picturesque churches and a sanctuary as well as pretty lakes. In addition, there is no long bit at the end of the hike where you can see the destination in the distance. The first sighting of Cistierna is when it is only about 3 kms away. It’s flat at the start with a 4km uphill section about half way and if you are lucky like I was you will meet a goatherd with his 8 dogs and a local fungi hunter! ……... In fact I think it was even better than yesterday’s stage!

Walking the Rioja in November, the landscape in red, burgundy, yellow and orange. Logrono to Granon.

Attachments

• 1441F205-9A32-4506-A589-77C303FDC895.jpeg
    1441F205-9A32-4506-A589-77C303FDC895.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 68254AC2-1A50-4285-959F-012906EAD3A1.jpeg
    68254AC2-1A50-4285-959F-012906EAD3A1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 06EE79E2-DFC0-4030-A776-E735090863C2.jpeg
    06EE79E2-DFC0-4030-A776-E735090863C2.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 92B0DC32-0B70-4C4D-B17B-23E16ECF4E43.jpeg
    92B0DC32-0B70-4C4D-B17B-23E16ECF4E43.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 55C20AB0-AC72-47A3-ABB6-B33B14E0409C.jpeg
    55C20AB0-AC72-47A3-ABB6-B33B14E0409C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Zubiri to Pamplona. For some reason. I thinks it’s because it’s the first major town after starting in st jean. There’s a small sense of achievement from having gone from 1 big town to another over a mountain range. Plus all 3 times the weather has been amazing.

The Pyrenees and the Basque Country are great, but personally I can’t go past the few days in Galicia at the end. So green and rustic; it feels a bit like walking through the Shire out of the Lord of the Rings. The Camino Frances really does leave the best for last.

I just loved SJPDP to Burgos. The Basque food and architecture was fantastic and then led into the Rioja wine region. Nothing like walking through vineyards. I thought it was a spectacular part of the Frances.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After doing bits of 2 Caminos - Frances and Norte - I finally got to Santiago after walking the Portuges from Tuy. I have had a number of unforgettable days on the various Caminos which I have done but that first arrival into the Plaza in the company of 15 fellow villagers will always be THE ONE!!!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
interesting responses. Some have responded most memorable sections..others favorite sections. For me these are not the same. Most memorable sections are the mountainous areas...always.... favorite sections....all of them!! How blessed am I to be able to put one step after the other, in peace and freedom, on such sacred soil! MerryChristmas!

Some may think this crazy but I had a love/hate relationship with the meseta. It was my favorite part because of the solitude and connection to my spirituality. My ability to tap into my inner strength and self. Hated the heat. I was there Sept/Oct.

1. SJPdP to Roncesvalles
2. Roncesvalles to Viskarret
3. Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo - see photo below taken May 2019.
...but really, I loved every day of our Camino, each was a gift to be unwrapped as we walked.
That is a spectacular photo, thank you for sharing. Those are three standout sections for me too - but I'd add the Meseta, for it's most powerful emotional impact that it had on me at the time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back