• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite lodgings along the Frances

Lemondrop

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Hi everyone.
What lodgings along the Francis did you love the most? And why?
Perhaps you have a photo or two to share?
Thanks so much!
💛

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For me the people make the stay. My two favorites were the parochial albergue San Miguel in Estella and parochial albergue Domus Dei in Foncebadon. I don’t know with covid how different things would be, but the hospitalero (Domus Dei) and hospitaleras (San Miguel) were wonderful and caring. All of the pilgrims made a communal meal then cleaned up, lots of funny tales and laughter.

Edit: I preferred parochial albergues, or private ones where the owners slept at the albergue. Munis and private ones, esp large or unattended at night, were a bit too party like for my taste

Albergue la Finca in Población de Campos, km past Fromista . Each bunk is like a tiny room. There are even mini staircases to get to the upper "bunks" instead of ladders. Plus they have a good communal dinner and free use of the washing machine.

For me the people make the stay. My two favorites were the parochial albergue San Miguel in Estella and parochial albergue Domus Dei in Foncebadon. I don’t know with covid how different things would be, but the hospitalero (Domus Dei) and hospitaleras (San Miguel) were wonderful and caring. All of the pilgrims made a communal meal then cleaned up, lots of funny tales and laughter.

Edit: I preferred parochial albergues, or private ones where the owners slept at the albergue. Munis and private ones, esp large or unattended at night, were a bit too party like for my taste
Thank you so much! 💛

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albergue la Finca in Población de Campos, km past Fromista . Each bunk is like a tiny room. There are even mini staircases to get to the upper "bunks" instead of ladders. Plus they have a good communal dinner and free use of the washing machine.
Sounds lovely! Thank you 💛

It’s the people you meet that makes an Albergue memorable . I think all do their utmost to make their places clean and welcoming but if you return again it will never repeat what you thought made it special . But I suppose Life is like that too and that is what we keep chasing , Special Memories

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Albergue de la Santa Cruz, Sahagun - great people, used to have a communal, shared evening meal in pre-covid times and fabulous rooms with either 2 or 4 (real) beds per room, own bathroom and toilet.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much!
💛
The “Ant” alburgue in Porto, Spain. Just my daughters and I with a man from Virginia with his son and daughter sharing the room. Pleasant conversation, comfortable bunks, and a delicious meal.

Hijas de la Caridad in Carrion de los Condes. Albergue Espiritu Santo.
Former boardingschool ( single beds ) . Friendly and gentle Sisters.

The Albergue with the names of the Continents. The nun who showed us to our room was so sweet. Very nice stay and very clean. If I remember correctly you have to go out and come in through a metal door in the courtyard. If you walked to the left and went left on the main avenue there were a few bars and a restaurant. Across the street from the bars a little further down the road we had a really nice dinner. (I think my directions are right haha).

My favorite and I only stayed there once as it was closed in winter the two other CF caminos is:

It is closed this year of course because of Covid. Not much help for this year. For me it is just the most wonderful place that embodies all that is good and generous and loving about the Camino. It has been 9 years since I have stayed there and I hope to experience this special place again.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much!
💛
My favorite is El Jardin de Muruzubal, between Pamplona and Puente la Reina. Alicia and Carlos are wonderful hosts and put on a superb communal dinner. The albergue room is clean, they have locked cabinets for your belongings, the bathrooms were also very clean. The most delightful thing, though, is the wonder yard/garden where you can while away some hours reading in the shade. Sadly, Gronze shows that they are still closed.

€46,-
Just returned and my 2 favourites were:
Alberge Borda just up from Orisson; great location, views, layout and the food was fabulous. Say hi to Laurent your host.

Albergue Palacio de Sansol; beautiful well laid out and a stunning refurbishment. José Maria speaks only Spanish. Well worth the stop.

An excellent 3rd was Hostal Moratinos, I took a room to myself (great) but the food is freshly cooked by mum (Italian I think) and really really good. Very helpful all round and focused on Pilgrims.

Had to return from Leòn, so no comments beyond.

Buen Camino

Hi everyone.
Thanks so much!
💛
I loved Quattro Cantones in Belorado, great food and owners. En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Eduardo and family are fantastic, beautiful grounds, good food. El Robeleiro in Fonfria, very special. Barbadelo, fantastic accommodations, Casa Magica in Villatuerta, Bella Muxia in Muxia...Angel makes it special and the beds are fantastic. The Last Stamp in Santiago...good beds. I always (3times) treated myself to the Parador in villacazar del bierzo? It's the modern one just before you head up to O'Cebriero.Sorry don't have my guide on hand. Paolo y Lena just before Santiago.
The people I met made the experiences memorable but when I was alone and the accommodations were good then they stood out. I loved two of the above albergues so much I volunteered after my Cami os were over, and will do the same again.

I walked from Leon to Santiago and then to Finisterre in May 2019. Several albergues stood out in my mind.
1) Las Aguedas in Murias de Rechivaldo. Great communal dinner, got to meet many fellow pilgrims on my 2nd day.
2) Casa Susi in Trabadelo. Susi and Fermin were tremendous, very generous, lots of fun. It didn't hurt to have a nice cool stream running in back of the albergue to soak your feet in.
3) El Aleman in Boente. Looked to be really new, even had a small wading pool. It felt like the Marriott of albergues.

€46,-
Just returned and my 2 favourites were:
Alberge Borda just up from Orisson; great location, views, layout and the food was fabulous. Say hi to Laurent your host.

Albergue Palacio de Sansol; beautiful well laid out and a stunning refurbishment. José Maria speaks only Spanish. Well worth the stop.

An excellent 3rd was Hostal Moratinos, I took a room to myself (great) but the food is freshly cooked by mum (Italian I think) and really really good. Very helpful all round and focused on Pilgrims.

Had to return from Leòn, so no comments beyond.

Buen Camino
Thank you so much. I have heard about Albuergie Borda from others too .. mentioning how nice it was. Welcome home!

Wonderful! 💛

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
  • Casa Magica in Villatuerta
  • Hogar in Villamayor de Monjardín
  • San Juan Baptista in Grañón
  • Emaus in Burgos
  • Albergue Villares de Órbigo in Villares de Órbigo
  • Albergue Casa Rural Las Águedas in Murias de Rechivaldo
  • were my favourites.
Thank you John!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I loved Quattro Cantones in Belorado, great food and owners. En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Eduardo and family are fantastic, beautiful grounds, good food. El Robeleiro in Fonfria, very special. Barbadelo, fantastic accommodations, Casa Magica in Villatuerta, Bella Muxia in Muxia...Angel makes it special and the beds are fantastic. The Last Stamp in Santiago...good beds. I always (3times) treated myself to the Parador in villacazar del bierzo? It's the modern one just before you head up to O'Cebriero.Sorry don't have my guide on hand. Paolo y Lena just before Santiago.
The people I met made the experiences memorable but when I was alone and the accommodations were good then they stood out. I loved two of the above albergues so much I volunteered after my Cami os were over, and will do the same again.
Which two did you volunteer? Thanks so much for sharing 💛

These are the lodgings that stick in my mind, although most alburgues or private lodgings have been good.

St Jean Pied de Port - Gite Makila. I've stayed in one of the private rooms upon arriving in town and it has given me a comfortable and peaceful rest in preparation for the next morning's departure.

Roncesvalles - Albergue de peregrinos. This place feels special to me and is a must stay place every time I have walked the Frances. I don't know if i sleep so well there because the beds in the cubicles are comfortable, or because of the walk from St Jean Pied de Port. The Pilgrim Mass at the Chapel is special.

Hontanas - Hotel Villa Fontanas. Run by a warmly welcoming family and very comfortable accommodation. I climbed the road back up the hill that evening for a meal at the bar at/near albergue Santa Brigida, which is located just as you enter the village on the Frances. The sunset was amazing.

Fonfria - Casa Lucas was an unexpected delight. Not only did the room and facilities have a great aesthetic appeal and very comfortable, but the cafe offered a menu variety of delicious food (at least what I ate while staying there was exceptional).

Santiago de Compostela - Hostal Suso. Relatively inexpensive. I always get a balcony room on the 3rd floor with a great view of the pedestrian parade along the Rua de Vilar. Suso has a good bar, and has good proximity to the Cathedral and shops in the old town area. WONDERFUL staff.

Albergue Villares de Órbigo in Villares de Órbigo
I second this. I think owners changed since I was there but I hear the spirit remains the same. Beautiful little courtyard and when I stayed there were private rooms as well as dorm and an amazing dinner

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Santiago de Compostela - Hostal Suso. Relatively inexpensive. I always get a balcony room on the 3rd floor with a great view of the pedestrian parade along the Rua de Vilar. Suso has a good bar, and has good proximity to the Cathedral and shops in the old town area. WONDERFUL staff.
Oh yes! Wonderful owners!

These are the lodgings that stick in my mind, although most alburgues or private lodgings have been good.

St Jean Pied de Port - Gite Makila. I've stayed in one of the private rooms upon arriving in town and it has given me a comfortable and peaceful rest in preparation for the next morning's departure.

Roncesvalles - Albergue de peregrinos. This place feels special to me and is a must stay place every time I have walked the Frances. I don't know if i sleep so well there because the beds in the cubicles are comfortable, or because of the walk from St Jean Pied de Port. The Pilgrim Mass at the Chapel is special.

Hontanas - Hotel Villa Fontanas. Run by a warmly welcoming family and very comfortable accommodation. I climbed the road back up the hill that evening for a meal at the bar at/near albergue Santa Brigida, which is located just as you enter the village on the Frances. The sunset was amazing.

Fonfria - Casa Lucas was an unexpected delight. Not only did the room and facilities have a great aesthetic appeal and very comfortable, but the cafe offered a menu variety of delicious food (at least what I ate while staying there was exceptional).

Thank you Dave!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also have very fond memories about the municipal albergue in Mansilla de las Mulas.

I see on the Gronze site that Laura , the wonderful hospitalera , is still in charge.
Indeed.
On the CF at Mansilla de las Mulas in the municipal albergue a special hospitalera, Laura, has served for many years; in 2012 she and her father managed the place together.

All was clean and tidy. Much had been thoughtfully re-purposed; simple shelves lined the stairs to keep dirty boots out of dorms, what was a shower became storage, and new showers were on the patio

Potted plants brightened the interior and electric heaters provided warmth for cold nights. Pilgrims cooked and congregated in the comfortable kitchen where Laura offered much practical advice on shops, routes or blister care, etc. She greeted each pilgrim personally and always gave me a big hug remembering my name and earlier stops.

...Across the years this 2012 visit remains another unforgetable winter memory.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Showering outdoors would be memorable for me at anytime but especially in winter 🥶. You’re obviously tougher than I!
No way! You wrote earlier that you hadc slept in snow without a tent! Laura's showers were in a tiny covered space, then unheated, off the open patio. It was quite fresh but not freezing.

No way! You wrote earlier that you hadc slept in snow without a tent! Laura's showers were in a tiny covered space, then unheated, off the open patio. It was quite fresh but not freezing.
I didn’t enjoy it. The only thing worse than cold is wet and cold. 🥶 you win the tough pilgrim award 🥇

€46,-
@Lemondrop
I do not think I have ever been disappointed with ANY of the Paroquial (Parish) albergues on the countless occasions that I have overnighted there. They portray the true spirit of the Camino - the communal dinners , the volunteers and the overall experience is difficult to beat. One may be mistaken in expecting there to be some dogma or strict rules - not so. You may have to sleep on a padded mat on the floor though , a small discomfort compared to all the positives. I think some pilgrims expect too much.

Then my more memorable private , municipal and other choices would be , in no specific order
SAN BOL - a magic place - the loo was a row of bushes outside - I have stayed there before and after renovations
THE MUNIs at AZOFRA and BURGOS with mega facilities
SAN ANTON - only 12 beds , one loo , one shower ....... get there!
EN EL CAMINO - my first visit was 18 years ago.
PENSION ESCARAY in Pamplona , cheapest rooms in town.
ASUN APARTMENTS in Viana (only four rooms) There is a fully functional Communal kitchen.

Well , that's a start , I do hope you will have the opportunity.

Hi everyone.
Thanks so much!
💛
Casa Nahia in Lorca, great views, very modern building with Netflix, hosts are great, nowhere else to eat so the pilgrims end up eating and talking together, good air conditioning if you traveling in hot weather, great wifi (not common outside of big cities, rainshower in the bathroom with black marble floor! Not expensive.

Albergue Rio Arga in Zubiri. Lovely man and I believe his son run the place. I stay there every Camino.

Posada Ignatius in Navareta. My one splurge. Fantastic people and the best towels in Spain. I honestly thought they were extra blankets.

M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back