• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Luxury Item on Camino?

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
Mine is an electric toothbrush. Bear with me a second: I would never haul this item up a big mountain because it does weigh a bit more. But, I’m used to an electric toothbrush at home and carry a cheap, light one on any Camino or longer sojourns.

The one I use is really light at just over an ounce and uses one AAA battery that lasts for weeks on end.

So, veterans and newbies, what is your one favorite luxury item that you cannot leave out of your backpack?
5176+E5s25L._SX522_.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My electric razor. I have a hard beard and soft skin, and have never been able to shave with a blade without bleeding. So it's either use an electric razor or grow a beard. And my wife objects to the beard.

My razor weights about 200g, and one charge lasts over 3 weeks, so it's not a major hassle, bit it's still extra weight.

Some of us carry the 'little luxury' of an electric water heating coil. See various posts here regarding using it (or not) and viable alternates as well as appropriate types of cups. As with most camino equipment the choice is large. Out of season when many bars/cafes are closed I would never walk without it!

Happy boiling and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My electric razor. I have a hard beard and soft skin, and have never been able to shave with a blade without bleeding. So it's either use an electric razor or grow a beard. And my wife objects to the beard.

My razor weights about 200g, and one charge lasts over 3 weeks, so it's not a major hassle, bit it's still extra weight.
I once saw a small electric razor that ran on regular batteries. Couldn't have weighed much, but the guy using this gem missed out on a few cups of tea while using it, and using it, and...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mine's a Norelco with rechargeable batteries. They last an incredibly long time per charge. We're doing the camino in two week stages, and I don't even need to bring the charging cord. And it shaves nice and quick (which is probably why the batteries last so long). I'm pretty sure I can shave with it faster than most people can shave with blades, so missing tea isn't an issue. :)

Depends what You consider being a luxury ;). @Anniesantiago will ring my neck, but two 1 ml bottle of perfume. I bring a pillowcase, my mini IPad. This year I Will bring a hiviz hat and Buff, both items I have never had a need for, for The excuse is hiviz.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nope, not a luxury, a must. At least for those sleeping In The same dorm as me.
Haha... well i learned the hard way when i came across few heavy snoring Spaniards on the Primitivo. Didn't have any ear plugs. Few of us had to stay another night in one village to break the routine...

I brought a little black top that I could wear out for dinner. It was super lightweight, but not an athletic top. I only wore it a few times, but it was so nice to put on something different for a change.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I brought a little black top that I could wear out for dinner. It was super lightweight, but not an athletic top. I only wore it a few times, but it was so nice to put on something different for a change.
Similarly, I brought a lightweight, wrinkle-free button down shirt I felt respectful when entering a church or cathedral, and for nicer dinner places.

I was looking at the REI Screeline shirt a couple of days ago. It feels like silk or rayon, but seems to be just about impossible to wrinkle. I rolled up a sleeve, scrunched it around, and unrolled it, and you couldn't tell which sleeve I had rolled up. It's also very light weight, UPF 50+, wicks moisture and is quick-dry. I'm considering taking it for after-walk wear, plus as a backup long sleeved shirt if I get sunburned arms and need one. Did I mention that it's incredibly soft and comfy?

But I'm afraid it would look too good and people would think I wasn't really a pilgrim if I wore something that looked that nice. ;)

But I'm afraid it would look too good and people would think I wasn't really a pilgrim if I wore something that looked that nice.
Now we're talk'n! It's all about looking good (or not).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Each of us determine what a luxury will be, I must say if you pack it no one can say much. I lost my towel twice. It became a luxury. My next luxury will be a way to boil an egg, make tea.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oooo definitely The Stick!
https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G-1750
Use it in the morning, in the evening, and sometimes on breaks ;) I credit it with saving my legs the first week and a half of my first Camino for sure! People would always ask to borrow it and I would offer it up to anyone I saw who was using their poles to rub out their muscles.
I also practically live in Chacos sandals, so, despite their weight, I always bring a pair.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some of us carry the 'little luxury' of an electric water heating coil.
Funny you mention that, I was just thinking about them today. I did a 12 month backpack a few years ago- lightweight enough- and utterly loved having one. Was wondering if for my 'even more lightweight' plan this time I should omit it. Now I am having a hmmmmm about it.
Meanwhile... my own pillow, that has travelled with me everywhere for years. At 400grams, worth every good nights sleep. Otherwise, sleeping on random pillows does my neck in (old war wound) which travels to the hip which can put me out of action completely.

Mine is an electric toothbrush. Bear with me a second: I would never haul this item up a big mountain because it does weigh a bit more. But, I’m used to an electric toothbrush at home and carry a cheap, light one on any Camino or longer sojourns.

The one I use is really light at just over an ounce and uses one AAA battery that lasts for weeks on end.

So, veterans and newbies, what is your one favorite luxury item that you cannot leave out of your backpack?
View attachment 25223
Thanks for the tip. I will get one. I am booked to walking the CF : SJPDP-Finisterre Aug 30-Oct 24. My "cannot leave out" items are my journal and my pipe and 1 1/2 lbs of blended pipe tobacco. I know I will be paying for this as I climb towards Roncesvalles;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will be interested to see when walking with my wife if I find more luxury.
Good luck with that, Missoula. My spouse is the beachside resort type. As ultralight as I pack, she makes up for it in the other direction.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be practical. Most of these luxury items will be available (after some days of walking) in those albergue bins with the "leave here what you don't need anymore, take what you like" sign. :)
Well, to be honest, last time I carried my Opinel pocket knife. I could have bought something cheaper, but I like them. When I was awaiting my flight in Compostela, I discovered that I had forgotten to pack it with my checked luggage. I was quite upset, until I discovered a family (young parents, two little children) that were obviously "pilgrims to be". I explained the situation and they accepted my Opinel, which I found wonderful. I sometimes fancy that the story repeated itself, and that my pocket knife is still making the rounds in the Camino...

I've left a number of swiss army knives at security checkpoints over the years because I forgot to put them in my checked bag. But I don't consider mine a luxury, it's a necessity.

Ok this may be more practical than luxury, but carrying this type of thing changed my Caminos a couple of years back.

It is lightweight. It carries things (including all valuables and a change of clothes to the shower.)

I can wear it about town after walking all day with it inside its bigger brother.

This is a thing I never thought to carry before I knew the circumstances, and it has added to my luxurious experience along the way.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GW8ZIM4/?tag=casaivar02-20

Damien

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok this may be more practical then luxury, but carrying this type of thing changed my Caminos a couple of years back.

It is lightweight. It carries things (including all valuables and a change of clothes to the shower.)

I can wear it about town after walking all day with it inside its bigger brother.

This is a thing I never thought to carry before I knew the circumstances, and it has added to my luxurious experience along the way.

Damien
That is a good one. And you're right, they don't weigh much.

Ultra lightweight gas stove and pan.
Used all the time for brews and a great way to befriend thirsty perigrinos.
Ultra lightweight gas stove and pan.
Used all the time for brews and a great way to befriend thirsty perigrinos.
Hello Dinkumdigger
Do you know if small gas canisters are available in SJPdP? Or maybe Pamplona. I have a Jetboil which I would take if I knew canisters were available. Currently I'm planning to take an electric coil for early morning cuppa :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok this may be more practical than luxury, but carrying this type of thing changed my Caminos a couple of years back.

Damien

What about a sea to summit day bag? Holds as much, weighs 35g and packs small enough to fit in fist? I walked the Camino Ingles with just this last autumn, that's how much it holds!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great thread BrienC! And really interesting and useful replies everyone!

My luxury item is a pair of rubber gloves to protect my hands when doing laundry by hand. I never travel without them.

Cheers - Jenny

I am sorry, but I don't think this is the royal suite;)

The pictures on their website do not correspond to the suites discussed in the article. The Royal Suite at the Parador is the only suite--or room for that matter--that faces the main square/Cathedral. Here is a picture of my wife standing on the balcony of the Royal Suite. The front door to the Parador is to my left. The guy playing bagpipes is to my right. image.jpeg

image.jpeg Here is the view from the balcony of the Royal Suite. Again, it's the only room (or in this case rooms) on the main square. After all, if you are the King then you not only get the best view--you get the only view.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great thread BrienC! And really interesting and useful replies everyone!

My luxury item is a pair of rubber gloves to protect my hands when doing laundry by hand. I never travel without them.

Cheers - Jenny
Thank you, Jenny. This has been quite interesting. We've gone from "luxury" to necessity, to nice to have (and, is that the King's Suite).

Perhaps I should come up with a different category for my toothbrush. I'm such a minimalist that I cut extra strap length off my pack and only walk in running shoes (trainers, to those in the Isles). I've spent ridiculous money on the lightest whatever, just to save on my knees and hips 20 years from now.

Cheers everyone,

I have a gadget list on my blog, but my main luxuries will be: GoPro Hero 3 Camera, Journal, Lush Shampoo bar, Kindle, Apple Watch and I have had a sock monkey made especially for the journey - he is called Cam. (Seen here on my backpack).
photo.php

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the past a silk liner but this time a small spray bottle of men's cologne.

One Camino there was a young German physiotherapist in our group and she said "No matter how much I shower and scrub my clothes I never feel clean"

Standing in the Plaza Major in Burgos, an elegant (and clean) Spaniard walked past me with a faint whiff of cologne making me feel like a tramp so . . . cologne it is!

I just stop shaving about a week before I start and worry about it when I get home :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a gadget list on my blog, but my main luxuries will be: GoPro Hero 3 Camera, Journal, Lush Shampoo bar, Kindle, Apple Watch and I have had a sock monkey made especially for the journey - he is called Cam. (Seen here on my backpack).
photo.php
Julia, It's of course your choice, however, you could leave the Kindle at home. Simply download the Kindle app onto your iPhone. I'm assuming you are taking an iPhone, as you have the Apple Watch listed. That way you could take some peanuts for the monkey;-)

What about a sea to summit day bag? Holds as much, weighs 35g and packs small enough to fit in fist? I walked the Camino Ingles with just this last autumn, that's how much it holds!

I think that is a higher quality and higher price item that accomplishes the same purpose. I guess the point of my post is a little and lite weight bag, that you carry for the night's activities showering and walking about the town, after the bigger bag has been set to rest.

Damien
I have a similar one. I used it last year every day . Loved it !
Also this year I will bring a 3rd pair of socks and 1 cotton shirt for the evenings.

€46,-
No offence intended Damien. :( I wasn't inferring one is better than the other, merely offering another alternative for those picking up on your excellent idea. You are so right and I agree that the Ultra-Sil 20L is dearer. I must say though I am prejudiced having grown attached to mine over the last couple of years. I have on occasion even taken it for a quick weekend away!
Buen Camino to all, whatever your luxury item. Maybe this bag should be mine as I suppose I don't really need it except for the shopping. I suppose I could try to say it was not a luxury though as it saves on plastic bags? (Yeah, weak excuse isn't it? ;))

I really missed a few luxuries on my last 2 caminos. I played with my pack contents last year but this year I've really worked hard on getting the pack weight down but making sure I have everything that will keep me feeling more like me for the 7 weeks I'm on the VdlP. I know that some folks might frown but I have :

tiny bottle of spray in hair conditioner
tiny pot of lip balm with tint
tiny pot of face moisturiser/sunscreen with a tint
tiny pot of eye shadow and an eye liner pencil
small travel size roll-on perfume (last time I took a bottle of perfume oil but it was too strong to wear... this is way more subtle)
tiny bottle of nail polish

In total it all weighs less than 100gm... which was my luxury weight limit.

I just wanted to feel a little more like me and a little less gruby after a good days walk and my shower... please dont judge me :oops::D

I just wanted to feel a little more like me and a little less gruby after a good days walk and my shower... please dont judge me :oops::D
I do the same.... I have some make up and conditioner with me, so I'm certainly not judging :) I think each their own....you are the one who carries your pack....so why not? It's whatever makes one happy and enjoy the Camino to the max !

Last edited:

€46,-
My merino wool skirt..so nice after my shower, and to wear in the evenings, and can be worn to bed if I need more warmth.

Hello Dinkumdigger
Do you know if small gas canisters are available in SJPdP? Or maybe Pamplona. I have a Jetboil which I would take if I knew canisters were available. Currently I'm planning to take an electric coil for early morning cuppa :)
Yes,they have small and medium size gas canisters for sale in the Camino shop in SJPdP.
After that look in ferreterias (ironmongers) for them.Sometimes I've had to make do with the taller blowtorch type canisters,they boil water just the same though.

Yes,they have small and medium size gas canisters for sale in the Camino shop in SJPdP.
After that look in ferreterias (ironmongers) for them.Sometimes I've had to make do with the taller blowtorch type canisters,they boil water just the same though.
Thank you for the info - much appreciated!

Can't say as I've carried anything I consider more luxury than necessity, but this reminds me of a pilgrim in a bunk next to mine in a random alburgue.... He made a full bed/bunk up with proper cotton sheets, bottom and top and pillowcase to match, then played out a quilt. He next placed a big embroidered 'roll' on his bunk. I was filled with awe when he unrolled it to reveal, perfectly tailored silk pajamas with buttons ( top and bottom) and a full length robe with belt, and morning slippers! I caught the eyes of a pilgrim one bunk further over and his look was the same jaw dropping look of disbelief. The following morning, the pilgrim who had witnessed the big bedding and PJ reveal told me that the same man had unrolled a 20 piece matching set of hygiene/grooming instruments ( clippers, trimmers, tweezers, files, nose hair trimmers, etc.... ) in the men's lavatory.

I suppose one man's luxuries are sometimes another's necessities. It was remarkable to see this thin man with his jumbo pack just taking the time to make himself comfortable and kept.

Last edited:
Can't say as I've carried anything I consider more luxury than necessity, but this reminds me of a pilgrim in a bunk next to mine in a random alburgue.... He made a full bed/bunk up with proper cotton sheets, bottom and top and pillowcase to match, then played out a quilt. He next placed a big embroidered 'roll' on his bunk. I was filled with awe when he unrolled it to reveal, perfectly tailored silk pajamas with buttons ( top and bottom) and a full length robe with belt, and morning slippers! I caught the eyes of a pilgrim one bunk father over and his look was the same jaw dropping look of disbelief. The following morning, the pilgrim who had witnessed the big bedding and PJ reveal told me that the same man had unrolled a 20 piece matching set of hygiene/grooming instruments ( clippers, trimmers, tweezers, files, nose hair trimmers, etc.... ) in the men's lavatory.

I suppose one man's luxuries are sometimes another's necessities. It was remarkable to see this thin man with his jumbo pack just taking the time to make himself comfortable and kept.
I LOVE this!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really missed a few luxuries on my last 2 caminos. I played with my pack contents last year but this year I've really worked hard on getting the pack weight down but making sure I have everything that will keep me feeling more like me for the 7 weeks I'm on the VdlP. I know that some folks might frown but I have :

tiny bottle of spray in hair conditioner
tiny pot of lip balm with tint
tiny pot of face moisturiser/sunscreen with a tint
tiny pot of eye shadow and an eye liner pencil
small travel size roll-on perfume (last time I took a bottle of perfume oil but it was too strong to wear... this is way more subtle)
tiny bottle of nail polish

In total it all weighs less than 100gm... which was my luxury weight limit.

I took a small sample sized mascara, the butt end of a brow pencil, and a sample sized creme blush stick that made me look a bit more like me on the days that I had the opportunity to FaceTime with my relatives back home. I didn't want to look spent, beat up, bleached out and sunburned...did not want them to worry. Truth.

The pictures on their website do not correspond to the suites discussed in the article. The Royal Suite at the Parador is the only suite--or room for that matter--that faces the main square/Cathedral. Here is a picture of my wife standing on the balcony of the Royal Suite. The front door to the Parador is to my left. The guy playing bagpipes is to my right. View attachment 25282
All very well, but as my son would ask, "What's the wfi like?" :)

(He wouldn't stop complaining about the wifi in our room at the parador when we stayed in 2016. It wasn't up to his idea of a 5 star standard.)

My skincare serums/lotions etc. They were a little moment of pampering in my day that made me feel like myself. And this next one wasn't really a luxury because it had a purpose, but I brought my mother's scarf with me that she sprayed with her perfume so every time I used it (as an eye mask, scarf, shall, head wrap, pillow covering, sometimes even a skirt over shorts for mass when my other clothes were drying...), I thought of home.

Also in terms of luxury on the Camino, when Albergues have swimming pools (to soak your feet more than swim), it feel like you're staying at the Ritz!

Some of us carry the 'little luxury' of an electric water heating coil. See various posts here regarding using it (or not) and viable alternates as well as appropriate types of cups. As with most camino equipment the choice is large. Out of season when many bars/cafes are closed I would never walk without it!

Happy boiling and Buen Camino!

I definitely bring two electric coils...for me an absolute necessity as we often leave before anything is open in the morning. I bring an IPad air2. I like the bigger screen. My sister carries the Iphone 8 plus...

"Pajamas"!
I had a very light t-shirt and shorts I only used for sleeping. They could double as walking clothes, but I managed to use only two sets along the walk and keep this third one just for sleeping :) It felt so good every end of the day to change into something that had not seen the road.

But I would definitely use that set outside if my other sets did not get clean/dry in time to walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've decided on my one "carry with" luxury item: a blend of dried herbs with a little salt so that we can cook a few meals together in a familiar way. My experience on last Camino suggests that other pilgrims may be keen for some form of seasoning, so I intend to bring enough to share. Pastas... eggs...
And I will carry in my heart the gratitude for the time and resources to be able to have these three weeks with my beloved. It's our first trip together since 2010, and our first together since 1991 that has not been tacked onto a work trip.
I am truly, truly grateful to be able to travel... and if anyone is cooking in an albergue kitchen and in need of a little seasoning to heighten the luxury of cooking one's own food, I hope they will feel welcome to tap me on the shoulder for some. Or maybe spouse will feel bold enough to offer. I'm terribly shy in real life and tend to leave others to their own devices.

€46,-
a blend of dried herbs with a little salt so that we can cook a few meals together in a familiar way.
Ooo, what a nice idea! And a lovely thing to share.
The only caution I would have is that if customs inspectors find these you may be in for some inconvenience if they are not in 'official' containers. A friend was stopped and intensively searched as a result of his backpacking stash of cooking herbs that he'd put in film canisters and baggies. He got through fine in the end but it took a number of hours.
Maybe take a few small bottles that are still sealed? These should be fine.

Ooo, what a nice idea! And a lovely thing to share.
The only caution I would have is that if customs inspectors find these you may be in for some inconvenience if they are not in 'official' containers. A friend was stopped and intensively searched as a result of his backpacking stash of cooking herbs that he'd put in film canisters and baggies. He got through fine in the end but it took a number of hours.
Maybe take a few small bottles that are still sealed? These should be fine.

Oh, thanks for the warning. I did not intend to take an opened container, just a small bottle of a favourite blend from home. But good reminder for others. Spouse took dried Sriracha and lime, and has been the life of the kitchen party at many stops so far. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No offence intended Damien. :( I wasn't inferring one is better than the other, merely offering another alternative for those picking up on your excellent idea. You are so right and I agree that the Ultra-Sil 20L is dearer. I must say though I am prejudiced having grown attached to mine over the last couple of years. I have on occasion even taken it for a quick weekend away!
Buen Camino to all, whatever your luxury item. Maybe this bag should be mine as I suppose I don't really need it except for the shopping. I suppose I could try to say it was not a luxury though as it saves on plastic bags? (Yeah, weak excuse isn't it? ;))

I know I am quoting myself. But the aforementioned bag has since become my only bag. I have adapted it with loops through which I have carabiners holding my sandals as the thing is full with wet gear, two clothes changes, toiletries etc. = 3 kilos.

Have way to many luxury stuff, camera, mobile, GPS-Watch. I could easily walk and live without them but they are my recording of memories and may way of sharing my experience with my family and friends via photos, showing where I have walked etc.

I know I am quoting myself. But the aforementioned bag has since become my only bag. I have adapted it with loops through which I have carabiners holding my sandals as the thing is full with wet gear, two clothes changes, toiletries etc. = 3 kilos.
Can we have your packlist, 3 kg!!! I'm impressed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had a personal rubber stamp made for this camino (and future caminos). That's my luxury item. Makes it easy to share contact into,

Have way to many luxury stuff, camera, mobile, GPS-Watch. I could easily walk and live without them but they are my recording of memories and may way of sharing my experience with my family and friends via photos, showing where I have walked etc.

Can we have your packlist, 3 kg!!! I'm impressed.

Dry bag with a pair of shorts, 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of briefs, 2 pairs of socks.
Dry bag for wet/dirty clothes and nappy pins.
Dry bag for silk liner and glass case.
Dry bag with toiletries.
Dry bag with phone charger (to charge exchangeable battery thus keeping phone with me at all times) along with support things like plasters, lint, Ibuprofen, Vaseline, scissors, small knife/corkscrew, nail cutters & file.
Lightweight raincoat and a bin liner with bottom cut open to wear as a kilt over shorts.
Sandals attached to back of bag.
Other than this there is just what I walk in - t-shirt, shorts, briefs, socks, Asic running shoes.
I attach a photo of the loaded bag.
bag.PNG

Dry bag with a pair of shorts, 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of briefs, 2 pairs of socks.
Dry bag for wet/dirty clothes and nappy pins.
Dry bag for silk liner and glass case.
Dry bag with toiletries.
Dry bag with phone charger (to charge exchangeable battery thus keeping phone with me at all times) along with support things like plasters, lint, Ibuprofen, Vaseline, scissors, small knife/corkscrew, nail cutters & file.
Lightweight raincoat and a bin liner with bottom cut open to wear as a kilt over shorts.
Sandals attached to back of bag.
Other than this there is just what I walk in - t-shirt, shorts, briefs, socks, Asic running shoes.
I attach a photo of the loaded bag.
View attachment 45405
Just for fun I compared my stuff to yours and if I leave the following items at home I get 3 kg:
Backpack
Long sleeve shirt
1 fleece jacket
Silk scarf (neck protection, dress when I laundry everyting and my sleeping gown)
Seal skinz (my feet prune easily when walking in rain in sandals)
Earplugs
Water bottle
Spork
GPS-Watch + Charger + Charger to my activity band
Notebook+pen
Guidebook
Headlamp
Rehydration tablets
Camera + lens + charger + batteries etc.
Allergy friendly food
And some other minor stuff adding up....

Hmm...
Just camera and the allergy friendly food is almost 2,5 kg but at least I'll eat the food on the way.

€46,-
BTW I carry my water bottles in two holsters on my belt. And I forgot to mention me wearing a hat and carrying my rugby club flag and a buff in my bag as a sun protectors/ awning/picnic mat as and when needed.

DSLR camera and gear.

4.4375 lbs (2 kg) including camera, 3 lenses, battery charger, SD card case, and a lightweight camera bag designed for carrying in a backpack.

Is it worth it to carry nearly 4.5 lbs extra across Spain? For me, yes. Especially when I consider that some who will be following my Camino have limitations that prevent them from walking their own. I want them to see & enjoy things through my eyes. In addition, I hope that what I capture will someday inspire my granddaughter to walk her own Camino.

A tiny Romanian fluier, acquired in Romania probably 25 years ago. It's the lightest instrument I own. Won't travel without an instrument.

Attachments

• Romanian fluier.JPG
    Romanian fluier.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 0
This is too challenging. I can't think of anything I take that is a luxury as opposed to an essential. Everything I take gets used every time because it's needed not because it's a nice addition. Boring aren't I?
Yeah, me too. After 50 years of backpacking and hitchhiking around the world, I know how to pack.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.