• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite “Mid Stage” Albergues

JohnRRogers

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis from SJPDP 12-5-23 / 17-6-23
We will be starting our Camino Frances on May 12th with our first stop in Orisson. I’m thinking that on day two we may want to go on past Roncesvalles and perhaps make it to Espinal or even Viskarret? Continuing on with 25k‘ish days our stages won’t really line up with John Brierley’s “traditional” stopping points. Any favorite ”mid stage’ albergues, that we should pencil in as suggested places to stay? All the best and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Atapuerca, I liked the Albergue La Plazuela Verde. Nice built in bunks with curtains. They were still working on it when I was there in September. Nice touches. Has a kitchen and a nearby grocery store that is not very big. Nearby bar, too. For the whole list of where I stayed, go to the link in my footer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We will be starting our Camino Frances on May 12th with our first stop in Orisson. I’m thinking that on day two we may want to go on past Roncesvalles and perhaps make it to Espinal or even Viskarret? Continuing on with 25k‘ish days our stages won’t really line up with John Brierley’s “traditional” stopping points. Any favorite ”mid stage’ albergues, that we should pencil in as suggested places to stay? All the best and Buen Camino!
JohnRRogers,

Before you go further do consider stopping at Roncesvalles monastery where the evening blessing in the church is a poignant experience for all; don't miss this age-old tradition. If you choose to attend you will remember it always.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
our stages won’t really line up with John Brierley’s “traditional” stopping points
On the Camino, you will be on a continuous path across the country, going through many many towns. There is no "Brierley tradition." Yes, some towns are become major stopping places - not only for pilgrims but for general commerce. But, particularly for pilgrims on the Camino Frances, there are lodgings scattered along the entire continuum, without much regard for the end of the page in a guidebook.

I really liked the experience of staying in Roncesvalles. In many ways it seemed like the real start to the Camino Frances. Orisson to Roncesvalles is still a good challenge for day 2 for most people. For those first several days, I'd be concerned most with keeping my distances modest (not overdoing things) and finding any place at all to stay, given the numbers likely in May. You will have plenty of opportunity to be creative in your staging later.

There is no "Brierley tradition." Yes, some towns are become major stopping places - not only for pilgrims but for general commerce.
I think the influence of Brierley's guides is overrated here on the forum as English is our working language. English is not the first language for the great majority of pilgrims and speakers of other languages tend to have their own guides and authors. Some of Brierley's stopping points are very predictable because of the size or character of the town itself. People who have never heard of Brierley will probably stop in Burgos, Leon or O Cebreiro anyway!

My favorite non-stage albergues:
Just after Puente la Reina at Manaru- El Cantero
Just past Estella on the Edge of Town at Ayegui- San Cipriano (in the sports hall for the community)
Before Logrono at Vianna - Santa Maria Parroquial
After Najara- the Azofra Municipal
After Santo Domingo de la Calzada in Grañón- San Juan Bautista Paroquial
In Hontannas- Juan de Yepes Santa Brigada
Carrion de los Condes- Santa Maria Parroquial
In Morotinos- San Bruno or just past there in San Nicholas- Luganares albergue
If you go on the Roman Road after Shahagun- The municipal in Caldazilla de los Hermanillos
Past Leon in Villadangos de Parma- Municipal
La Laguna before O'Cebrero- La Escuela
After Sarria- Casa Morgade

Many of these are very simple municipal or parroquial albergues and you cannot make a reservation, but others like El Cantero, Juan de Yepes, Luganares, San Bruno, La Escuala and Casa Morgade are private and will likely take a reservation. I have always found the hospitality in these places to be stellar.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some of the mid-stage places I am staying this spring - Zabaldika - Paroquial, Uterga - Alberuge de Peregrinos Caminon del Perdon, Maneru - El Cantero, Luquin - Casa Tiaco, San Sol - Albergue Karma, Viloria de Rioja - Parada Vitoria, Espinosa - Casa las Almas, San Juan Ortega - Monastery, Cardenuela Riopico - Albergue Santa Fe, Boadilla -Juntos, Cacabelos - Albergue St. James Way, Laguna de Castillo - La Escuala, Fonfria - Reboliera.
Last spring stayed in Pieros and Las Herrerias, as well as Fonfria and Viloria de Rioja.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Certainly there are some wonderful options, but are you a pilgrim who stays in albergues or hotels/private rooms? The recommendations may differ based on your preferences.
My thought is it will be a mixture of the two. Perhaps most nights in albergues with hotel/private rooms mixed in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My favorite non-stage albergues:
Just after Puente la Reina at Manaru- El Cantero
Just past Estella on the Edge of Town at Ayegui- San Cipriano (in the sports hall for the community)
Before Logrono at Vianna - Santa Maria Parroquial
After Najara- the Azofra Municipal
After Santo Domingo de la Calzada in Grañón- San Juan Bautista Paroquial
In Hontannas- Juan de Yepes Santa Brigada
Carrion de los Condes- Santa Maria Parroquial
In Morotinos- San Bruno or just past there in San Nicholas- Luganares albergue
If you go on the Roman Road after Shahagun- The municipal in Caldazilla de los Hermanillos
Past Leon in Villadangos de Parma- Municipal
La Laguna before O'Cebrero- La Escuela
After Sarria- Casa Morgade

Many of these are very simple municipal or parroquial albergues and you cannot make a reservation, but others like El Cantero, Juan de Yepes, Luganares, San Bruno, La Escuala and Casa Morgade are private and will likely take a reservation. I have always found the hospitality in these places to be stellar.
Thank you for your very comprehensive reply!

Azofra, Juan de Yepes, Luganares, La Escuala and Casa Morgade all have the possibility of private rooms although Azofra and Luganares have a shared bathroom.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
WHY PLAN?
I totally agree! There are so many wonderful places to stay, and so many wonderful people you will meet whose stories you will want to share. Don't plan the future. Live in the present and let your Camino unfold as I'm sure it will for you. Be prepared to change your plans.

JohnRRogers,

Before you go further do consider stopping at Roncesvalles monastery where the evening blessing in the church is a poignant experience for all; don't miss this age-old tradition. If you choose to attend you will remember it always.

Happy planning and Buen camino!
Hello, John, is the Albergue de Peregrinos de Roncesvalles part of this monastery? I am booked there, and it's a parochial albergue, so thinking it might be part of the monastery complex?

Hello, John, is the Albergue de Peregrinos de Roncesvalles part of this monastery? I am booked there, and it's a parochial albergue, so thinking it might be part of the monastery complex?

Yes - it occupies part of the old monastery buildings. There isn't much else apart from the monastery complex in Roncesvalles anyway!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh great! I'm looking forward to the evening blessing experience that you described. Thank you for the info!

Azofra, Juan de Yepes, Luganares, La Escuala and Casa Morgade all have the possibility of private rooms although Azofra and Luganares have a shared bathroom.
If I recall correctly, in Azofra the municipal albergue doesn't have dorms, just just small rooms with two beds in each (not bunk beds)..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.