• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Pictures of Animals on your Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 56069
  • Start date
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All these were taken on the climb to O'Cebreiro.
Q24300-HOR.jpg

This was fun. The dog was ignoring all the other cows but yap, yap, yapping at this one. It was like a friendly conversation going on though.
Q24700-HOR.jpg

So a riderless horse is coming down the way. The camera is taking its time getting a second shot and the horse has gotten close. Here's the second picture (and its not cropped.) One second later I'm pushed to the side. A bit later comes its handler.
Q24800-HOR.jpg Q24900-HOR.jpg Q25000-HOR.jpg

More cows. I really liked seeing pictures of the cows on the loose in Galicia and I was hoping that I might see some on my trip. No problem once in Galicia (actually just a few kilometers away.)
Q25100-HOR.jpg Q25200-HOR.jpg Q25300-VER.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is Tina Turner who lives on a boat on the Rio Tejo, Villafranca de Xira.
She has previously lived in Paris & London and got her name because when grown, her hair looks exactly the same as Tina Turner's. We shared my last Pastel de Nata.

Attachments

• 20170602_203739.jpg
    20170602_203739.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMG_4327.jpg IMG_3624.jpg

I met lots of dogs, horses and cows, not to mention bugs of all shapes and sizes. The kitty sat with me while I did laundry in Granon and was rewarded with lots of pats. The sculpture in Valtuille de Arriba on the way into Villafranca de Bierzo. It caught my eye for it's whimsy.
IMG_4327.jpg IMG_3624.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€46,-
This guy coaxed more than a few pilgrims into tossing the ball...me included
Thank you for the picture @zrexer. This dog was memorable for me too but I didn't have a picture (and now I do.) While I was playing Peg was disappearing in the distance so I took off without remembering to take a picture.

Here's another memorable dog met in Burgette on the CF.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had always hoped to see a hedgehog in the wild as I have Abby (African Pygmy Variety) as a petView attachment 37742

You should come to the UK @zrexer - I am currently spending 8 hours per day cleaning and preparing desperate hedgehogs for hibernation at the local wildlife sanctuary. Bring towels, we need more hand towels :D

I didn't get a good look at the horse on the ground -- maybe near delivery of a colt? Sick? But the standing horse was clearly caring for the other one. This was outside of Espinal, I believe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
i been stalking this page couple of days now...
Apparently some photos not previewing on my computer dont know why... any help will be great...
sorry for those i haven't like yet, it just simply means that i dont see photo's itself but i think only a file name IMG...jpg:(

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The three pictures here correspond to my story of earlier this year. I am still not wholly convinced when people tell me they like cows!!
If you haven't read Tim's story yet, go check it out - you're in for a real treat.
And OK, now we're on bovines, forget restraint (but please don't get me started on the horses! Or dogs).
A favorite moment for me was coming across a cow and calf, moments after the birth...
And then there was Sr. Toro Bravo (!)
Some of my very favorites are pics that capture the relationships between people and the animals they work with. Like this fearlessness of ladies in Galicia...or the patience it takes to go out there day out, rain or shine.Portomarin-Palas de Rei (26).JPG Las Herrieras-Viduedo (54).JPG Portomarin-Palas de Rei (14).JPG Saria-Portomarin (11).JPG

Thank you all for posting these pictures, and thank you @zrexer for starting this thread. I can't wait to show these pictures to my grandson. We live in a city, have to go further afield to get any exposure to rural life and still have little opportunity to see some of what is shown here. My grandson will be intrigued with these pictures. Please keep them coming. :):):)

If you haven't read Tim's story yet, go check it out - you're in for a real treat.
And OK, now we're on bovines, forget restraint (but please don't get me started on the horses! Or dogs).
A favorite moment for me was coming across a cow and calf, moments after the birth...
And then there was Sr. Toro Bravo (!)
Some of my very favorites are pics that capture the relationships between people and the animals they work with. Like this fearlessness of ladies in Galicia...or the patience it takes to go out there day out, rain or shine.
OhI had forgotten a day last year on Portuguese when I came across a ewe giving birth - a beautiful and privileged moment!

My favorite animal on the camino is the good looking dog at Alto del Perdon.

Have a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm curious - aren't there more pictures of wildlife from your walks? I note in this string pictures of a lizard and hedgehog, but all the rest seem to be domestic animals. Has anyone else noticed how few wild animals you spotted along the way(s)?

Well I guess it's safe to say, the more popular Caminos don't really hit the backcountry, right? Spain is densely populated in relative terms and I guess hence is the lack of actual wildlife sightings..

Even though those storks always struck me. Picking chuchtowers for their nest spots right within smaller towns or villages. They must be attracted by the camino's magic I assume :)

Iberico ham in its natural state on the VdlP...
And a beautiful moth.
The ubiquitous storks.
Ducks nesting on top of the city wall in Zamorra.

and best last - the late, great Oaky on pilgrimage to Roslin...

Attachments

• IMG_2873.JPG
    IMG_2873.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3153.JPG
    IMG_3153.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My favorites will always be the cows on the walk over the Pyrenees after Orisson. Especially the white ones.
View attachment 37711 View attachment 37712
Hi Terri,
These photos are particularly stunning due to the unusual lighting. Were they taken with a "special" camera or did you just luck out with magical lighting on the Napoleon route?

Hi Terri,
These photos are particularly stunning due to the unusual lighting. Were they taken with a "special" camera or did you just luck out with magical lighting on the Napoleon route?
Thank you. They were just taken with my phone, so it must have been the magical morning light. :)

€60,-
So... Here are a couple of my faves...plus a couple more unusual ones just to add to the diversity. View attachment 37821 View attachment 37822 View attachment 37823 View attachment 37824
Is that a real fish head, or a bit of art? I can't tell. :)

Let's not forget those snails which were so numerous in one section of the camino. When we were walking along that dreadful concrete pathway leading into Logroño, a man out for his morning stroll was picking them up and stowing them in his pocket ... to be put in the pot later for dinner? :(

€83,-
Camino 307.jpg
This little dog was tethered. Every now and then one chicken or another, by intent or not - I couldn't be sure - would get too close to him and he would lunge out at it, only to be held back by the tether. On one hand, this sweet little fellow seemed so frustrated by the misfortune of being tethered and, on the other, he just seemed to be a super good sport.

Is that a real fish head, or a bit of art? I can't tell. :)

Let's not forget those snails which were so numerous in one section of the camino. When we were walking along that dreadful concrete pathway leading into Logroño, a man out for his morning stroll was picking them up and stowing them in his pocket ... to be put in the pot later for dinner? :(
I guess art is where you find it... it’s a real fish head. Artsy though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back