• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Pilgrim Hostels

Chignecto

I would like to know what some of your favourite Pilgrim Hostels are on the Porto to Santiago section of the Camino Portugues. When I did the Camino Frances I found getting this kind of advice in advance really enhanced my pilgrimage.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Santarèm hostal in Santarèm, Solo Duro in Golegã, Hilário in Mealhada(on the Lisbon to Porto leg) and off course numero uno. Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piaes . Highly recommended !

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its not a hostel but it is a very good place to stop Casa da Fernanda, they welcome pilgrims. And the one 5km before Caldas del Rey - Brillos, its an Xunta Albergue, very clean, modern and great for making a meal with the few other pilgrims who will stop there.

Casa Fernanda in the village of Lugar do crogo, between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Casa Fernanda means literally Home of Fernanda, and I was an assistant hospitalero there last June. There are no bunks, all beds, 12 single in 1 dormitory with 2 bathrooms and 2 doubles with1 shared bathroom. Dinner and breakfast are provided, and if you arrive before 1pm, lunch as well, plus wine. Payment is donativo. Fernanda and Jacinto, the owners, are wonderful and kind people who rarely turn away a pilgrim. It is not a Casa Rural.

Albergue de Peregrinos de Ponte de Lima, where my great friend Ovideo works. The Albergue in O Porriño was great, and so it was the one in Padrón. In Santiago, Albergue Seminário Menor, an old seminar converted in one big albergue, with single rooms and mixed rooms. It was big, enormous to be honest, but it was very calm :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All the Xunta Albergues are excellent and heated. You can't go wrong.

Hi since, this kinda covered my answer as well, I thought it would be better to post my second question here as Well, I am planning to walk About 25 km per day, does it say how far it is to the next albergues? Or do I have to make a plan with a list of all the albergues on my route in advance ? I was thinking just to walk for 5 hours and Than start looking for one, is this an option ? I am a camino newby leaving in 2 weeks

Caminha is a great stop, try and be there when the market is scheduled.
Padron is a great town to eat and enjoy just before the finish.
If you arrive before the albergue is open and its hot have a rest in the beautiful church beside alberque.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi! I was wondering if anybody knew whether there were municipal albergues along the Camino Portugues? Am thinking of walking it in the next few weeks but have a very tight budget! Thanks for your help : )

Within Spain going up to Santiago from Tui there are several inexpensive excellent municipal albergues run by the Xunta de Galicia. See this Xacobeo Galicia web for more information and a handy map.

Bom Caminho.

Margaret Meredith

Not to miss on Caminho Portugues: Casa Fernanda (donativo), new albergue in Barcelos - Amigos da Montana (5 euros), new private Albergue Quinta Estrada Romana (donativo), monastery in Hebron (donativo).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow all this information is good. Is there a site that I can actually see the route from Porto to Santiago

Wow all this information is good. Is there a site that I can actually see the route from Porto to Santiago
Aussie Liz,

You can download a digital map of the Camino Portugues from fellow Forum member Peter Robins The Walking Pilgrim web site.

Bom Caminho,

Margaret Meredith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ponte de Lima in Portugal, 3 days out from Porto. Cross the bridge and its the first building on your right, its a converted former school beautifully modernised and wonderful views from the terrace across the river Lima. Redondela in Spain is also a lovely hostel.

I would like to know what some of your favourite Pilgrim Hostels are on the Porto to Santiago section of the Camino Portugues. When I did the Camino Frances I found getting this kind of advice in advance really enhanced my pilgrimage.

tio pepe!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I really enjoyed my stay at Casa Laura in Vilarinho....very kind, helpful family plus little luxuries.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back