• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite private accommodation between Sarria and Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, fellow peregrinos,

Since I got such good information from my request for information about places to stay in Melide, I thought I'd post a more general question.

If you have stayed in private accommodations between Sarria and Santiago and have some special favorites, post them here. I am helping a friend set up her Camino, but since I don't usually stay in private places, I'm not able to give her good advice. There are some older threads on this topic, but given the rate of change and construction, I thought I'd ask for more recent experiences and recommendations.

Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On July 2, 2012 I stayed at a private albergue right on the main road in Santa Irene. Don't remember the name, but it was a little house on the road. It is beautiful inside and they served a wonderful homemade dinner and breakfast. Chopin was playing on the stereo when I laid down on the couch in the sitting room and took a nap, and there was a quiet, peaceful garden out back. One of the people I was walking with said it reminded him of the house where Snow White would live and that he expected to see Bambi walking across the field out back. Perfect description. It was Camino Heaven!!
- M :arrow:

Albergue O Abrigadoiro
San Xulián do Camiño (Concello de Palas de Rei)
Teléfono de contacto: 982 37 41 17. Reservas: 676 596 975
Email: medeagomez@yahoo.es
Página web: http://www.everyoneweb.es/abrigadoiro

Albergue on the left in the bar/albergue; private rooms across the street at about the same price, if you ask. Operated by a pilgrim who decided to give something back. It is worth the hour to walk past Palas de Rei.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have I already mentioned Hotel Xaneiro in Melide? Just an ordinary hotel, but particularly nice people running it. They actually offered me a lesser rate when I stayed an extra night. It was already pretty cheap.

Pulperia is not far!

Rob

The Hotel O Pino in A Rua is a gem. It's comfortable, clean, quiet, and run by good people. The rooms are fine, there's an extremely pleasant reading room, and the restaurant provides excellent meals, including Galician style. Because A Rua is only 20 ks from Santiago, the final walk to reach the city and the cathedral is easy, and allows pilgrims to contemplate what they've achieved, and what the experience has meant to them.

Buen camino,

wes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Private Albergue Don Quijote has rooms (upstairs) too, cafe below. On the left as you come into Arzua. Good rooms and friendly
Telf:- 981 500 139

O Méson at Brea, signed off the Camino (80mts) and on the main road 2kms before Sta Irene and O Empalme. Private albergue and also habitaciones.
Address:-
Pension Cafe Bar O Meson
A Brea 16
O Pino
Telf:- 981 511 040
Excellent accomodation and meals, very friendly.

Hostal Restaurante San Paio, very near the church in Lavacolla
Telf:- 981 888 205
Cafes opposite hostal are cheaper for food although we had a good midday meal in the Restaurante and others had a good evening meal.

I stayed at Pousada de Saleceda, in Salceda, about 11km after Arzua. Highly recommend this place. To get there you leave the Camino and walk across the highway, then it is about another 400m down the side road.

There was a hotel part and a small albergue part with about 12 beds. The day I stayed there I got the only albergue bed that hadn't been reserved- though I think they still had some hotel type rooms available. There were two very nice shower rooms in the albergue. The bunks were quite close together but the blankets were very cosy ones, and they gave out fresh sheets and even a proper towel even in the albergue! Probably it would be best to ring ahead and reserve there but I don't have the phone number. There were beautiful gardens and I had a lovely relaxing afternoon. You could have an evening meal on site, and you could access wifi. The lady on reception rang ahead and booked a place in a pension for me in Santiago which I really appreciated.
Margaret

I want to take it very easy.

I will be arriving in Sarria on October 23, and need to be in Santiago November 6. I have plenty of time. I don't want to kill myself walking. Walking 3 or 4 hours every day, will there be places to stay? Do I need to book private rooms in advance during that time of the year?
Thanks! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think there is a need to book in advance. You will have an opportunity to stop almost every hour; there are plenty of places in that stretch.

falcon269 said:
Albergue O Abrigadoiro

Albergue on the left in the bar/albergue; private rooms across the street at about the same price, if you ask. Operated by a pilgrim who decided to give something back. It is worth the hour to walk past Palas de Rei.

Yes my avatar, is taken from drawing behind the bar, lovely bar, wish we'd stayed, had to push on...... :arrow:

There are many lovely recommendations and while one should never say disparaging words concerning the Camino, do not ever stay at the so called Pilgrims Pavilion Os Chacotes-better to slep outside in the rain. Having said that and knowing one should be positive, I will heartily recommend La Bodeguina just before Portomarin. Busy busy at lunchtime but as the evening falls it is wonderful, quiet, and detached good food and pleasant people. Portomarin is just another town and should there be water in the reservoir can be scenic but give me the country-side any day.

S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Shaman said:
I will be arriving in Sarria on October 23, and need to be in Santiago November 6. I have plenty of time. I don't want to kill myself walking. Walking 3 or 4 hours every day, will there be places to stay? Do I need to book private rooms in advance during that time of the year?

Shaman, how many kms do you plan on walking in 3 or 4 hours? It might be worth using the Godesalco.com/plan website to work out your daily distances just to make sure that there is a place at the end of each stage where you can stay. Many of the paths are through forests or on trails through farmland. There are a couple of longish distances between villages - 7.5km from Barbadelo to Morgade: 8km from Portomarin to Gonzar; 10km from Arca to Lavacolla.

Santa Irene (private) is wonderful, must book ahead the day before at least, dinner is very good, not cheap. I stayed here both Caminos, both times with 3 others in group and we got upstairs room (private-almost). Everyone is nearly there, great location, walked in 24km? and made the mass both times (very early start, didn't even know they offered breakfast), but if you are going to walk through the forest in the dark you do need a lamp.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I LOVED Santa Irene. My three friends and I also got the upstairs dormer. Like I said, Camino Heaven!
- M :arrow:

I agree O Abrigadoiro in San Xulián, past Palas de Rei is a fabulous place to stay. A homey ambience, a delicious home-cooked dinner, lovely hosts. I didn't want to leave!

A brand new beautiful albergue that opened in Sarria in April this year is Albergue Mayor right in the centre of the old town. A gorgeous, stylish modern space, again, with lovely hosts. They won me over as soon as I arrived when they presented me with a big, fluffy, new bath towel to use after my shower! Heavenly!! €10, like many places in Sarria.

Attachments

• O Abrigadoiro San Xulián.jpg
    O Abrigadoiro San Xulián.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 3,527
And here's a picture of Albergue Mayor in Sarria. I stayed there towards the end of May this year. I have other pictures of these places too. Let me know if you want to see them.

Attachments

• Albergue Mayor Sarria.jpg
    Albergue Mayor Sarria.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,550
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all
These are some of my favourite accomodations:
Casa Quiroga in O Biduedo (between O Cebreiro and Triacastela). It's a Casa Rural, beautifully rustic and comfortable, in the middle of nowhere. Adjacent venta with great home-made cooking.

Pousada Chiquitin in Melide. Friendly staff and clean and modern rooms.

Hotel O Pino in Rua. Had one of the best restaurants found en route to Santiago. Clean and quaint rooms, tastefully decorated. Garden which you could relax in during sunny weather whilst having a much deserved drink. Stayed there twice, during two consecutive years, and standards remained high.
Hope this is useful.
Nat :D

Walk 6k west on the Camino out of Sarria and stay at the private albergue first on the left with the parasols in the garden as you walk into Barbadelo. Nice surroundings, good food and good value.

falcon269 said:
Albergue O Abrigadoiro

We really wanted to stay here !! However, the was a sign on the door saying it was closed ! We ended up at another private Albergue/casa rural called " Bolbereta " which is lovely, but is 2kms off the camino, so calling ahead is essential !

There is a new not-in-the-book Albergue at Vilacha which is AMAZING ! It only sleeps 8, is run by the delightful Gordon Bell, from South Africa, and had the most lovely helpers Mervyn and Revonika. They cooked us an amazing meal, the wine flowed, and Rev gave us all a fantastic foot massage. Its called Casa Banderas and is after Mercadouiro, before Portomarin.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, fellow peregrinos,

Since I got such good information from my request for information about places to stay in Melide, I thought I'd post a more general question.

If you have stayed in private accommodations between Sarria and Santiago and have some special favorites, post them here. I am helping a friend set up her Camino, but since I don't usually stay in private places, I'm not able to give her good advice. There are some older threads on this topic, but given the rate of change and construction, I thought I'd ask for more recent experiences and recommendations.

Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie
Hi my friends have recently opened a beautiful Pension with Albergue rooms in Brea which is near to Pedruzo and usually the last stop on the French route to Santiago. Because the Pension is new it is not in the books yet but it is very special with a lovelypeaceful garden. I'm not sure if I can post the website here but the Pension is call The Way and details can be found in the Camino forum resources section.

I'm not sure if I can post the website here but the Pension is call The Way and details can be found in the Camino forum resources section.
You can post it here once, so get some details, even a website, and put it in the Resources section. Thanks for the info. I have wanted to stop in that area several times, so I look forward to learning more about The Way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can post it here once, so get some details, even a website, and put it in the Resources section. Thanks for the info. I have wanted to stop in that area several times, so I look forward to learning more about The Way.
You can find details of The Way at theway.org.es Everyone is welcome.

Portomarin - Casa Santa Marina... Excellent!
Palas de Rei - La Cabana... Worked fine
Aruza - Hotel Suiza... OK
O Pino - Pension Arca... Excellent!
Lavacolla- Pazo Xan Xordo... Excellent!
Santiago - Parador Hostal Dos Reis Catolicos... Excellent!
Also in Santiago- Pension Acibeche... Very nice!

I wrote reviews on each of them in TripAdvisor (if you are interested).

Pazo Xan Xordo is wonderful. And the Parador is fantastic, certainly the oldest hotel in Spain, and one of the oldest in the world.
I would add Pazo de Santa Maria (Arzua) to the above list. Very nice and excellent homemade, local dinner.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Pazo Xan Xordo is wonderful. And the Parador is fantastic, certainly the oldest hotel in Spain, and one of the oldest in the world.
I would add Pazo de Santa Maria (Arzua) to the above list. Very nice and excellent homemade, local dinner.

Yes CaptBuddy! My friends stayed at Pazo de Santa Maria in Arzua and by their description it was excellent, a much better choice than Hotel Suiza! It was a bit off the Camino, but worth it!

While I am at it, they also highly recommended O Muino de Pena in O Pino... HOWEVER... My husband & I were extremely happy with our stay at Pension Arca... Plus it is right on the Camino! The reason I bring up o Muino de Pena is that my friends recommendations are always spot-on... So research and choose for yourselves... I bet you will be happy with either!

It was a bit off the Camino, but worth it!

So true. We hitched a ride back to town (Camino) the next morning.

Did you take the 'short cut' from Xan Xordo back to the Camino? A very enjoyable walk, though not much shorter. It rejoins at Vilamaior.
Thanks for the list. This year we'll likely do things different, and stay at different places. Although that short last day and getting to the cathedral at 1115 was great.

Last edited:
LOL! I read your response to my husband & he responded...
"Enjoyable? Shortcut? Wasn't that the never-ending UPHILL trudge?"

Actually, I loved this location! Like you already mentioned, it makes a wonderful last day!
We were in Santiago in plenty of time to chose our seat for the noon Mass.

I wish you wonderful accommodations on your next Camino CaptBuddy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agree with several post about Mercadeiro, great place for food and rest and it helps one avoid a night in Portomarin.
I have stayed at St. Irene and it is wonderful but so far for me the best stop the night before walking into Santiago is Muino de Pena. It is about 10 km north of the Camino and they will pick you up by car at PK 19 and drop off there the next morning. It is a restored mill in a tranquil environment with a 4 star chef. I had a wonderful salad with sauted apple for lunch and broiled scallops and sweetbreads for dinner. Fantastic!!!!

Last edited:
I want to take it very easy.

Thanks! :)
Shaman, interested to know how your CAMINO went, what distance did you cover daily, and where did you stay,

Shaman, interested to know how your CAMINO went, what distance did you cover daily, and where did you stay,

Shaman was last seen on this forum on Nov 28, 2012 so I doubt you will get an answer to your question. Buen Camino! SY

Not sure if anyone is still needing this info but I stayed last year with three friends in O Biduedo and the accommodation was okay but the meal in the bar was the worst that we experienced on the whole Camino complete with surly service from the wife of the owner, shame it was a nice little bar. But it is the only thing int he village that really is made up of just two farms. Be warned.

A timely topping of this thread - as I will be walking this stage at the end of April with my daughter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My advice to your friend is simply to check out the accommodations available on Booking.com and choose on the basis of price and/or proximity to the Camino. That is what I do and I have never been disappointed. Sure, some places are more well equipped than others but I have never stayed anywhere that I would avoid in future.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back