• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Santiago Hostal or Albergue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Just wondered what some of your favorite hostals or albergues in Santiago are?
Prices and where are they located in relation to the Cathedral?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2007 and 2008 I've stayed in a hostal off Plaza Galicia. There are only about 4 rooms and they are spotlessly clean and with a great view...and blissfully quiet!. I can't remember the name but it's on the top floor (91 steps!) with other hostals in the same building. It's usually 40-50 euros, mainly because they are all doubles but I visited 2 blokes I had met along the VDLP last year who stayed in the semanario (near the cathedral) and had a double for 50 euros and I thought it was nowhere near as nice as where I was staying. Thats the view from my window there.

Attachments

• Mozarabe 2008 254.jpg
    Mozarabe 2008 254.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,465
I stayed in Hostal Suso, next to tourist office in Rua do Vilar ph 981 586 611, 3 mins to Cathedral on foot and I paid 20 Euro for a room with breakfast in the little bar/restaurant downstairs. I loved it after all the noise and lack of privacy in the pilgrims hostels, I had a tiny room with mini ensuite looking out onto a lightshaft, very quiet, very clean, very simple, but refurbished. My own space at last! Some fellow pilgrims had opted for a shared room and paid more for a real dump of a place. I felt really lucky to have found this place without booking ahead. By the way ask them for Alvarigno wine, they have a beautiful one for sale at the bar. Regards, Gitti

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

Last Fall I stayed in the Hostal La Salle which was about a 10 minute walk from the cathedral square. I had my own small room with my own bathroom and it was quiet and clean and I paid, if I remember correctly, 26 euro a night. I liked it and would go back.

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Intersting question and answers will fill our notebooks...........hopefully.......but try to remember what the knowedgable folk say......and don't go with a shopping list!!!

Yup... been there and done that ::laughing::

It was wonderful, but I'd like to be a little more in control this time.. not a lot.. but a little :)

We stayed in Hostal le Salle in 2007. It was clean and comfortable and the staff were helpful.
Sharon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since many years ago I use to stay in Hostal Raiña, in Raiña street, only two minutes walking from Platerias.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

One or two bed bedrooms are €25 p room, incl breakfast, (even two bed ones I believe) at the main monastery next to the cathedral. Breakfast was really excellent - they served omelettes, cakes, bread, etc. Basic but with bathroom with shower. Nice and quiet and in centre of town.

When i arrived jaded at Acuario on my first walk to Santiago, they made me very welcome, and i have stayed there every time since (3) up to 2009,and hey!! its not far from the centre, and the short walk will charm the socks off your sore feet, oh, and i agree with Simsonite, that the kind lady owner,is a real gem. Highly Recommended .Peaco (patrick, leicester ) :lol: :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This "hostal" is good
hostaldelosreyescatolicos.jpg

On a more realistic note the Suso is nice.

To make the Parador chain a bit more affordable FOR TWO PERSONS:

http://www.paradores-spain.com/offers/5night.html

In the fine print are some supplements, including Santiago, but you could kick back in Santo Domingo, for example, then Leon and Villafranca, then finish with two days in Santiago, all at a relative bargain.

Has anyone here used one of these 5 night cards?
I wonder how long in advance you must make your reservations... :?:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used the 5 night card after my camino last October. you don't need to book in advance, we bought the card at the first Parador we checked into and then they rang and booked ahead for us, or when we didn't know when we would be there we just turned up and they had a room. Will depend on which month you are using the card I would think as to whether you wanted to book ahead or not. The 5 night card, staying at some of the best of the Paradors, was my husband's present to me for finishing the camino, very nice! And after the albergues, true paradise, well worth is if you can afford it! cheers, Jane.

We too stayed in and loved the Suso, and plan to do so again in December. I actually wanted to sneak in my own question here - does anyone have an email address for the Hostal? Thank you gittiharre for posting the phone number by the way - you came through before the Paginas Amarillas! I would just prefer to email so I can get my Spanish together in my own time rather than blustering through a phone call! (I also doubt I'll need to book, but it's always nice to have these things sorted out in advance). Thanks!

Try the Hostal Alameda on Rua San Clemente. Perfect location, good price, nice people. It's my second home. 981 588 100 alameda32@terra.es Antonio and Angel.
See the new thread "Favourites" to add your favourite places and things.
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
P.S. The Suso is good too and mentioned in Pilgrimage to Heresy as a romantic tryst location!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.