• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite sections from Porto onward.

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglés '18, Ingles '19, Ingles '22, Portugues '22
What are your favorite 10 - 12 mile sections of the Portugues starting in Porto? I don't need another Compostela, so I was thinking the first two days on the Senda Litoral from Porto, then two sections (not necessarily consecutive) on the Central or Coastal. Two nights in Vigo, with a trip to the Cies Isles if possible. Then as much of the Espiritual Variant as I can fit in 3 or 4 days, ending in Santiago. Any other suggestions? Favorite towns?

This is for a small group of friends who have done Caminos before. We pre-book accomodations. Time constraint keeps us from walking the complete distance from Porto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Theresa Brandon. I also loved the walk along the Douro River out of Porto in the early morning on the Senda Litoral. You can see my photos of this peaceful walk, click here. Perhaps my next favorite on the Coastal is the walk from A Guarda to Oia. The look outs to the coast are wonderful and walking along, coming up on the Monastery of Oia is gorgeous. The photos of this can be seen here. Equally enjoyable, IMHO is the walk up on the old Roman road a bit after Mougás and into Baiona, a lovely tourist town with a castle, and the gorgeous Playa las Americas to walk upon, if you like beaches! You can see my photos here of this day. I didn't take the time to measure actual distances, but you will be able to figure that out.

As for the central, the towns of Valença and Tui should not be missed! The walk from Valença and through its ramparts to the hilltop cathedral, across the international bridge, is absolutely stupendous! This will be less than 10 miles so you can adjust accordingly. I also really enjoyed the walk from Arcade (has a Roman bridge, and Roman road walking) to Pontevedra, with its lovely pilgrim's chapel. This is wonderful too! Click here to see these photos.

So much to choose from! Enjoy your decision-making and Buen Camino!

Hi @Theresa Brandon. I also loved the walk along the Douro River out of Porto in the early morning on the Senda Litoral. You can see my photos of this peaceful walk, click here. Perhaps my next favorite on the Coastal is the walk from A Guarda to Oia. The look outs to the coast are wonderful and walking along, coming up on the Monastery of Oia is gorgeous. The photos of this can be seen here. Equally enjoyable, IMHO is the walk up on the old Roman road a bit after Mougás and into Baiona, a lovely tourist town with a castle, and the gorgeous Playa las Americas to walk upon, if you like beaches! You can see my photos here of this day. I didn't take the time to measure actual distances, but you will be able to figure that out.

As for the central, the towns of Valença and Tui should not be missed! The walk from Valença and through its ramparts to the hilltop cathedral, across the international bridge, is absolutely stupendous! This will be less than 10 miles so you can adjust accordingly. I also really enjoyed the walk from Arcade (has a Roman bridge, and Roman road walking) to Pontevedra, with its lovely pilgrim's chapel. This is wonderful too! Click here to see these photos.

So much to choose from! Enjoy your decision-making and Buen Camino!
Wow @Elle Bieling I’ve been reading your blog on your portuguese Camino and have it bookmarked for quick reference (ie. to be alert to dangerous road sections 🤦‍♀️). I didn’t know you were here on Ivar…..great! I’m planning a very relaxed Camino portuguese starting oct 9th from Lisbon-littoral-Espiritual arriving in SDC probably after 40 days, yes slow but staying 3 days at Armenteira, Porto 2 days, Tomar & Coimbra 1 full day. I look forward to this Camino a lot having already “felt” it thru your blog. A huge THANK YOU for your blog.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow @Elle Bieling I’ve been reading your blog on your portuguese Camino and have it bookmarked for quick reference (ie. to be alert to dangerous road sections 🤦‍♀️). I didn’t know you were here on Ivar…..great! I’m planning a very relaxed Camino portuguese starting oct 9th from Lisbon-littoral-Espiritual arriving in SDC probably after 40 days, yes slow but staying 3 days at Armenteira, Porto 2 days, Tomar & Coimbra 1 full day. I look forward to this Camino a lot having already “felt” it thru your blog. A huge THANK YOU for your blog.
Hi @Colette Z, thank-you for your comments! I would love to do this way again, as you say, very slowly! It is in my plan, and I want to also do the Espiritual eventually. Wish I had done that one! And a Buen Camino to you too!

Thanks, Elle! I use your sites to plan my Caminos and I appreciate you weighing on this thread with your favorites!

Hello Theresa - the credencials with your calligraphy look great here on the CP!

We flew into Porto, spent a day there, and then got our stamps at the Se Cathedral and walked to Matosinhos the first afternoon. It was a nice (short) start to the CP. The next day to Vila do Conde was beautiful (as long as you kept your eyes left), though I would say the first two days didn’t feel Camino-like since they are beach/tourist towns.

We loved staying at Casa Fernanda and then the next two days of walks were beautiful. We first went to Ponte de Lima and stayed, and then walked to O Ninho in RubiĂŁes yesterday. The climb to Alta da Portelo got our hearts pumping, but we loved it.

On to Tui today, but like I said, the last two days have been great and I recommend them.

Bob

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also really enjoyed the walk from Arcade (has a Roman bridge, and Roman road walking) to Pontevedra, with its lovely pilgrim's chapel. This is wonderful too!
Be sure to take the River variant on the route between Arcade and Pontevedra and assuming there has not been significant rainfall (because the end of it can be waterlogged). This cuts out a 3km length of tarmac and is a shady, cool and beautiful stretch. It starts at a road junction 300m on from on the tiny Chapel of Santa Marta.

Green marks the tarmac route, the river route and remainder of the official route are marked in red.

RiverRoute.PNG

Theresa, the Variente Espiritual is amazing! Pontevedra > Armenteira > Vilanova. So, it's two days of walking (the Ruta de Piedras y de Agua was simply wow!), then on to PadrĂłn by boat. If you get an early boat at 8am, you could choose to get to Santiago that day, though it's about 28k. Due to the tide, our boat was at 12:00pm, so we then walked half way and stayed at Casa Rural Vella da Rivera - highly recommended! We were pleasantly surprised today by the walk from there into Santiago. A lot more of it was wooded or small villages than we expected. Enjoy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back