• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Sello?

Rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
My favorite sello from the Camino Frances is from the Museo del Chocolate in Astorga. My daughter and I got it on a layover day when we were not sure if she would want to continue the Camino. There had been lots of tears and soul searching (and that was just me!!!) ;)
But the museum was a great break and we learned about Astorga's role in the early chocolate industry and enjoyed a few samples to boot.
chocolate museum Astorga.jpg
Which made me wonder...
What is YOUR favorite sello that you collected and why?

Rambler

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This one from a small albergue in Hornillas Del Camino. It was the residence of a really nice couple. We had homemade paella with them that evening for dinner.
The stamp took up about 1/4 of that page in my credentials. Next time I'm going to get two sets of credentials and get sellos at every albergue, tourist info office, bar, restaurant, church, etc.
CAM00125.jpg

I don´t have any images of any of my favorite sellos, but I do have a sello-related comment. It has to do with an item I saw last week in the window of the Last Stamp albergue in Santiago.

There is a white ceramic mug in the window that has a variety of sellos painted on it. The mugs are personalized, here´s how it works according to the women inside the albergue. The albergue scans your credential and makes a copy. You circle your favorite sellos. They then send the mug to an artist somewhere who hand paints the sellos you´ve chosen onto the mug. It is then sent to you wherever you are. Not cheap -- they said the mug price was usually around 28 euros, plus shipping, but what a nice idea.

My only criticism was that they should also offer a taller mug option for those of us who drink a BIG cup of coffee in the morning. This one struck me as on the small side as far as mugs go.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Next time I'm going to get two sets of credentials and get sellos at every albergue, tourist info office, bar, restaurant, church, etc.
Mark:
We did that very thing on our camino. Any restaurant, church, store, or albergue we stopped, we would get a sello. That was 6-8 per day. Instead of taking 2 credentials with you, I would recommend getting new ones as you walk. Most the bigger albergues had them for sale so we got a second one that way. Plus if you get the American Pilgrim one to start (since you are estadounidense), you can have a Spanish one with its different pages.

Rambler

camino mug.jpg
I don´t have any images of any of my favorite sellos, but I do have a sello-related comment. It has to do with an item I saw last week in the window of the Last Stamp albergue in Santiago.

There is a white ceramic mug in the window that has a variety of sellos painted on it. The mugs are personalized, here´s how it works according to the women inside the albergue. The albergue scans your credential and makes a copy. You circle your favorite sellos. They then send the mug to an artist somewhere who hand paints the sellos you´ve chosen onto the mug. It is then sent to you wherever you are. Not cheap -- they said the mug price was usually around 28 euros, plus shipping, but what a nice idea.

My only criticism was that they should also offer a taller mug option for those of us who drink a BIG cup of coffee in the morning. This one struck me as on the small side as far as mugs go.
Peregrina:
I just ordered a similar mug from Marc @ Camino Estrella and LOVE IT!!!
http://caminoestrella.com/
Marc takes scans of your credential and then puts them on the mug for you. He was great to work with because we had over 90 sellos, so we had to choose the ones we wanted just as you described. He also has clean versions of the more popular ones in case yours is not that good.

It is pricey and I agree a bigger mug could be a good alternative, but I would highly recommend them. I gave my daughter one as a graduation gift from university. She thought it was very nice.

Rambler

(I am not affiliated with Marc or Camino Estrella)

View attachment 10102
Peregrina:
I just ordered a similar mug from Marc @ Camino Estrella and LOVE IT!!!
http://caminoestrella.com/
Marc takes scans of your credential and then puts them on the mug for you. He was great to work with because we had over 90 sellos, so we had to choose the ones we wanted just as you described. He also has clean versions of the more popular ones in case yours is not that good.

It is pricey and I agree a bigger mug could be a good alternative, but I would highly recommend them. I gave my daughter one as a graduation gift from university. She thought it was very nice.

Rambler

(I am not affiliated with Marc or Camino Estrella)

Hi, Rambler, based on the other things I saw on his website, I am pretty sure it's the same guy. Because in the Last Stamp albergue they were also selling the other mugs (not custom made) that you can see on his website. I think I will write and ask about a bigger mug! Thanks for the link, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My favorite sello from the Camino Frances is from the Museo del Chocolate in Astorga. My daughter and I got it on a layover day when we were not sure if she would want to continue the Camino. There had been lots of tears and soul searching (and that was just me!!!) ;)
But the museum was a great break and we learned about Astorga's role in the early chocolate industry and enjoyed a few samples to boot.
View attachment 10100
Which made me wonder...
What is YOUR favorite sello that you collected and why?

Rambler
Here is mine from a private albergue in the small hilltop village of Zirauki. It was designed by the owner who also serves an incredible meatballs and spaghetti meal. Thank you to kerryman Tom for guiding us there for a memorable evening in October 2013

Attachments

• sello.jpg
    sello.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 41
Not necessarily my favourite sello, but certainly my most memorable .....

After the evening Mass in Najera, the attendant pilgrims were invited to the priest's office to have their credentials stamped. I realized that I had left my credential in my backpack at the albergue (the last time I did that!) and, since I was without even a scrap of paper, I thought I was going to have to miss out on this opportunity. Not so ..... a French peregrino with us insisted that I accept a page he tore from his own credential to use for my sello.

The priest gave each of us a customized sello; see mine below. Note the peregrina with the Canadian flag! (I later cut out my sello and pasted it into my credential.)

As to the generous peregrino who urged me to accept his very kind offer ..... all he would ask in return was that if I got to Santiago would I please pray for him. I did, and I still do.

Najera2013.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.