• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Spanish recipes post /pre camino you’ve made at home

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Anyone Stuck at home looking To try a new recipe. Came across this recipe today the video offers a version of La Vina restaurant speciality “And the secret is burning it” ....
found one version here

A variation on the : Burnt Basque cheesecake ....thought I would share and maybe next time I am in Spain I need to seek out this restaurant In San Sebastián. Looks yum , wish I could make it but sadly I am not eating any sugar..only thinking of it 🤔

1.5 lb (678g) cream cheese
1/2 pound (226g) mascarpone
1.5 cups (320G) sugar
6 eggs
1egg yolk
3/4 Teaspoon (4g) fine sea salt
1 3/4 cup (415 ml) heavy cream
1,5 teaspoon (7g( vanilla extract
2 teaspoon (9g) orange blossom water
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoon (52g) Sifted All purpose flour

Line spring form pan with parchment paper
add each item Pour into Pan
Bake 400F(200C) for 1hour or until deep dark brown

If you have other recipes to bring back those camino memories please feel free to share

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anyone Stuck at home looking To try a new recipe. Came across this recipe today the video offers a version of La Vina restaurant speciality “And the secret is burning it” ....
found one version here

A variation on the : Burnt Basque cheesecake ....thought I would share and maybe next time I am in Spain I need to seek out this restaurant In San Sebastián. Looks yum , wish I could make it but sadly I am not eating any sugar..only thinking of it 🤔

1.5 cups (320G) sugar
6 eggs
1egg yolk

If you have other recipes to bring back those camino memories please feel free to share
Do you think it can be done with Splenda?

Do you think it can be done with Splenda?
I dont see any reason why you could not...I believe it is a one for one replacement In terms of how much to use . See tips From the Splenda website.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Red Beans With Spanish Sausages

SERVINGS: 8

Ingredients

1 lb. dried red kidney beans
1 onion, quartered
7 garlic cloves, 4 peeled, 3 minced
2 dried chiles, seeded, chopped
1 bay leaf
8 oz. fresh Spanish chorizo sausage in casings
1 fresh Spanish blood sausage
2 slices thick-cut bacon
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar
Salt
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. hot smoked Spanish paprika
Rice (about 4 oz.; optional)

Place beans in a large heavy pot. Add enough water to cover beans by 4". Let stand overnight.

Drain beans; return to same pot. Add 8 cups water, onion, 3 peeled garlic cloves, chiles, and bay leaf. Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until beans are almost tender, about 1 hour, adding more water by 1/2-cupfuls, if needed, to keep beans covered.

Add whole sausages and bacon slices to pot. Simmer until beans are tender and sausages are cooked through, adding more water by 1/4-cupfuls as needed, about 45 minutes longer. Add 1/3 cup parsley, vinegar, and minced garlic. Season with salt. Transfer sausages and bacon to a work surface and cut into 1/2" pieces; return to pot.

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add remaining peeled garlic clove and sauté until garlic is golden brown, about 1 minute. Discard garlic clove. Whisk paprika into oil. Transfer beans and sausage to a large bowl. Drizzle garlic-paprika oil over, sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. parsley, and serve.

You can add other beans such as haricot, fava etc. if you wish. A smoked sausage also works well if you can't get blood sausage. It's one of those simple peasant dishes where what you have is added you can add pork, rabbit etc if you have them.

Had this at Cuatro Cantones with rough bread and red wine after a hard hot day.

Red Beans With Spanish Sausages

SERVINGS: 8

Ingredients

1 lb. dried red kidney beans
1 onion, quartered
7 garlic cloves, 4 peeled, 3 minced
2 dried chiles, seeded, chopped
1 bay leaf
8 oz. fresh Spanish chorizo sausage in casings
1 fresh Spanish blood sausage
2 slices thick-cut bacon
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar
Salt
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. hot smoked Spanish paprika
Rice (about 4 oz.; optional)

Place beans in a large heavy pot. Add enough water to cover beans by 4". Let stand overnight.

Drain beans; return to same pot. Add 8 cups water, onion, 3 peeled garlic cloves, chiles, and bay leaf. Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until beans are almost tender, about 1 hour, adding more water by 1/2-cupfuls, if needed, to keep beans covered.

Add whole sausages and bacon slices to pot. Simmer until beans are tender and sausages are cooked through, adding more water by 1/4-cupfuls as needed, about 45 minutes longer. Add 1/3 cup parsley, vinegar, and minced garlic. Season with salt. Transfer sausages and bacon to a work surface and cut into 1/2" pieces; return to pot.

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add remaining peeled garlic clove and sauté until garlic is golden brown, about 1 minute. Discard garlic clove. Whisk paprika into oil. Transfer beans and sausage to a large bowl. Drizzle garlic-paprika oil over, sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. parsley, and serve.

You can add other beans such as haricot, fava etc. if you wish. A smoked sausage also works well if you can't get blood sausage. It's one of those simple peasant dishes where what you have is added you can add pork, rabbit etc if you have them.

Had this at Cuatro Cantones with rough bread and red wine after a hard hot day.
Definately will try this one!! 🙏 😋

Moorish meatballs

pastedGraphic.png

Serves 4

For the meatballs

600g/1lb 5oz lamb or pork mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
small bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 lemon, zest only
100g/3½oz fresh breadcrumbs
50ml/2fl oz double cream
1 free-range egg
3-4 tbsp olive oil, for frying
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the tomato sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
400g tin tomatoes
1 tsp honey
100ml/3½fl oz plain yoghurt (optional)
3 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves, to serve

For the patatas bravas
800g/1lb 12oz floury potatoes, peeled and cut int 3–4cm chunks
200ml/7fl oz olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
½ tsp sugar or honey
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp hot paprika
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)

Method
1 For the meatballs, put all the ingredients into a large bowl, season with a generous amount of salt and pepper and mix thoroughly with your hands. The mixture will feel wet to start with, but if you fold it in on itself as if you are kneading it, it will stiffen up. Form the mixture into balls of around 50g/1¾oz each – you should end up with about 16.
2 To cook, either heat olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the meatballs in two batches, until well browned on all sides, or preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6, put the meatballs on a greased baking tray, and cook for around 15 minutes, or until well browned and just cooked through. Keep warm.
3 Meanwhile, to make the patata bravas, put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and add plenty of salt. Simmer for 3–4 minutes until the potatoes are starting to soften.
4 While you are cooking the meatballs, make the sauce: heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 10 minutes or until softened and translucent.
5 Add the garlic, spices and bay leaves and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, then add the tomatoes and honey. Pour over 200ml/7fl oz water, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, then uncovered for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the yoghurt, if using.
6 Drain the potatoes and heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the potatoes in a single layer (you may need to cook in batches if you can’t fit them in) and fry for 15–20 minutes or until crisp and brown on all sides.
7 To make the patatas bravas sauce, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and add the garlic. Cook for 2–3 minutes until starting to soften without taking on any colour. Add the vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the sweet and hot paprika.
8 Pour the sauce over the crisp potatoes and sprinkle with a little more sweet and hot paprika.
9 To finish the dish, put the meatballs into a large, deep frying pan, and cover with the sauce. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, or until the meatballs have heated through and the sauce has reduced a little.
10 Serve sprinkled with a little parsley.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The ultimate patatas bravas / recipe from Penelope Casas.

Marmitako, which I first had not in the Basque country but in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

1597219315435.png

Recipe HERE except I don't faff around with the fish stock but prefer to use Maggi brand Fumet de Poisson which we used to buy in France before the UK was cut off from civilisation.

Wooow! It's just in time. I cooked a chicken and prawn paella last week and it was fantastic (as to my taste, of caurse)! I don't want to write a lot, so I just leave a link:
here is the recipe
here is my favourite pan set

And this is how recipe will look like
chicken-and-prawn-paella-106506-1.jpeg

Bon appetite!
I see you're a "chorizo in paella" cook like me - doesn't it overwhelm the taste of the prawns though?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wooow! It's just in time. I cooked a chicken and prawn paella last week and it was fantastic (as to my taste, of caurse)! I don't want to write a lot, so I just leave a link:
here is the recipe

Bon appetite!
I see you're a "chorizo in paella" cook like me - doesn't it overwhelm the taste of the prawns though?

Guys, I wouldn't be sharing publicly that you add chorizo to paella... 😅

You've been warned... 😉🥘

Nice thread!

Ok keeping it simple but hopefully you’ll cut me some slack as I meander away from the arrow-marked trail..

#1 Salvador. We were forearmed that the hamlet of Poladura de la Tercia had no shop or bar/café, but the albergue had a kitchen. We stopped at the Mercado in La Pola and all teamed up to carry a mix of provisions over the mountain pass (and across the high valley) to Poladura. Pilgrim’s pasta the obvious choice, but when I suggested to the 2 men from Bergamo that we drain a can of tuna for the oil they looked hurt, angry and confused (and I think I lost their trust for all time). They purchased a 500ml bottle of extra virgin olive oil and instructed us on the buying of pasta, wine and salad ingredients. And although they appeared to buy little else, the rest they said would be taken care of..

Come the evening and we were ushered from the kitchen by the men from Bergamo as they applied their craft without distraction. The main dish turned out to be just caramelised onions mixed into the pasta with olive oil, black pepper and salt, garnished with Parmesan (which I suspect travelled from home..). Served with green salad, piccolo tomatoes and red wine. It doesn’t sound much but it was amazing – the sweetness of the onions wrapped around the pasta with the tangy attitude of the hard cheese was sensational. And it tastes almost as good back home.

#2 Primitivo from Lugo to Ferreira, a long hot day. Late September and we were often shuffling our way through an abundance of chestnuts. So we bagged some. I thought you had to roast them, but I was wrong. Our hospitalero boiled them – and served them with a very chilled bottle of Albariño. The weary four of us, who only met that day, sat together in peace as the last orange rays were raised over the courtyard wall. Four old geezers who’d all seen better days, realising as we chatted and celebrated our luck, that we had one more good ‘un to add to the list.

here is the recipe

Bon appetite!
Hornillas Del Camino on the Frances in 2018 ...was pretty good after a long day walking
C79EA5EC-85E4-4586-AEE3-D11A48C4DF89.jpeg
54D46D72-3E2E-4B95-B5F5-1BA043ECE100.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Guys, I wouldn't be sharing publicly that you add chorizo to paella... 😅

You've been warned... 😉🥘
I know 'tis tempting fate but, on the other hand, we are roughtie-toughtie pilgrims are we not?

Besides my nephew's Spanish mother-in-law uses it and also, much to the shame of her daughter, buys ready made tortilla in Tesco supermarkets!

No hard and fast rules!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annoyingly I can't find the source but I recall Sam Clarke of the renowned "Moro" restaurant pointing out that "Paella" is the name of the pot, not the dish. Arguably anything cooked in a paella is a paella though equally arguably the only dish that any sane chef would attempt to cook in a paella would be a combination of vegetable base, rice and available meat, fish or other proteins boiled in stock until the rice is tender and the protein source is cooked. Anyone who has eaten paella in Valencia will be aware that any restaurateur will tell you that theirs is the only authentic paella available: which is fun when you consider that the "top five" all make a different dish. https://madridfoodtour.com/best-places-for-paella-in-valencia/

found one version here

1.5 cups (320G) sugar
6 eggs
1egg yolk

Thanks for the memories! We ate this cheesecake in San Sebastian at La Vina before walking the Camino Vasco last June. I can't believe that it has more than a year and probably another one before we can taste it again. 😋

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since the post asks for Spanish recipes and not necessarily Camino recipes here is mine: Antonia's Salmorejo.
When we are able to travel to Spain, I include a trip to Sevilla for Salmorejo. (and Solomillo al whiskey, but that is another recipe) This is a cold pureed tomato and bread soup frequently topped with grated hard boiled egg and jamon. So much more satisfying than gazpacho. My favorite recipe for it is from the website: Spanish Sabores. Although the writer is an American her mother-in-law is from Sevilla. The recipe can be found here: https://spanishsabores.com/2011/09/22/antonias-salmorejo-recipe/ It is the perfect summer soup to make good use of too many tomatoes.
1597338600598.png
😋🍅 +🥖

Annoyingly I can't find the source but I recall Sam Clarke of the renowned "Moro" restaurant pointing out that "Paella" is the name of the pot, not the dish. Arguably anything cooked in a paella is a paella though equally arguably the only dish that any sane chef would attempt to cook in a paella would be a combination of vegetable base, rice and available meat, fish or other proteins boiled in stock until the rice is tender and the protein source is cooked. Anyone who has eaten paella in Valencia will be aware that any restaurateur will tell you that theirs is the only authentic paella available: which is fun when you consider that the "top five" all make a different dish. https://madridfoodtour.com/best-places-for-paella-in-valencia/
Yes for me the Comunidad Valenciana is the best for eating all that food with rice.
The feeling of my best food ever is an arroz a banda that I had in a restaurant in El Grao de Castellón.
In arroz a banda the rice and the fish/seafood are served separated.

I’ve made a few Tartas de Santiago, but this is my favorite:

Spanish Almond Cake (Tarta De Santiago)

Cake, Desserts
Source: 177milkstreet.com

INGREDIENTS
1 cup plus 2 tbsp white sugar
3 large eggs, plus 3 large egg whites
½ tspn kosher salt
¼ tspn almond extract
¼ tspn vanilla extract
cups blanched almond flour
3 tbsp turbinado or demerara sugar
cup sliced almonds, chopped
Optional (from a different recipe)
For the syrup (I skip this syrup, but it was part of the original recipe)
cup/240 milliliters orange juice
¾ cup/150 grams granulated sugar
2 tablespoons honey
6 whole cloves
6 cardamom pods
1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick
Pinch of crumbled saffron (optional)
DESCRIPTION
This flourless cake from Galicia, Spain, is traditionally made with separated eggs and flavored with citrus and/or cinnamon. We liked it made more simply, with whole eggs and just a small measure of vanilla and almond extracts. A sprinkling of chopped almonds and coarse raw sugar on top of the batter gives the surface a chewy-crisp crust that contrasts wonderfully with the dense, plush crumb of the cake’s interior. Crème fraîche and fresh berries are perfect accompaniments.
Don't underbake the cake. Rather than use a skewer or toothpick to test the center for doneness, check the browning and crust development. The cake is ready when the surface is deeply browned and the crust feels firm when gently pressed with a finger. Don't serve the cake warm. Its texture is best when fully cooled.
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the middle position.
2. Mist the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
3. Line the bottom with a round of kitchen parchment, then mist the parchment.
4. In a large bowl, combine the white sugar, whole eggs and egg whites, salt and both extracts. Whisk vigorously until well combined, 30 to 45 seconds; the mixture will be slightly frothy and the sugar will not be fully dissolved.
5. Add the almond flour and whisk until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Sprinkle evenly with the turbinado sugar and chopped almonds.
7. Bake until deeply browned and the crust feels firm when gently pressed with a finger, 45 to 55 minutes.
8. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
9. Run a knife around the edges of the cake, then invert onto a plate. Remove the pan and parchment then re-invert the cake onto a serving plate. Let cool completely before serving.
Optional syrup:
As cake cools, make the syrup:

1. Put orange juice, sugar, honey, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, saffron and apricots in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2. Stir to dissolve sugar, and then simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Transfer cake to a serving plate. Use a skewer to poke holes all over and slowly pour syrup evenly over cake.
4. Leave cake for at least an hour to fully absorb syrup, or, if possible, wrap and store in a cool place (don’t refrigerate) for up to 5 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
found one version here

1.5 cups (320G) sugar
6 eggs
1egg yolk

Wewere a group of peregrinos walking the Frances at more or less the same pace when we arrived in San Domingo de la Calzada. The reviews for the Convent were less than inspiring when Sandy found a flat that slept 6 om booking.com . It was great and had a nice kitchen common dining area. Liv volunteered to cook at turn out an exquisite chicken and chorizo stew. I had to steal the recipe and used on the Portugues 2 years later when I was walking with a group from our village. Andaluzes are a tough audience but they scoffed the lot and declared it to be almost edible.

Serves 4

1 large free range/corn-fed chicken breast - cubed.
200 grams of good Iberico pork chorizo ( I have made with a Duroc chorizo and that worked really well). Sliced thickly.
Large Spanish onion - finely chopped.
2 garlic cloves - finely sliced.
200 grams finely chopped tomato.
100 grams finely chopped red pepper.
100 grams finely chopped green pepper.
200 ml chicken stock.
1 tbsp of tomato pure
Generous pinch of herbes de Provence.
Freshly ground black pepper.

1. Fry onion for 5 minutes in 2 tbsps of good olive oil.
2. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add chicken and chorizo and cook until the chicken cubes have been sealed.
4. Add the tomatoes, pure, peppers, herbs and pepper and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Add the stock and cover. Cook for 20 - 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.

Serve with masses of fresh bread and the best Spanish red wine that you can afford and the next day you will be up at 06:00 hours ready for a 30 km stage.

When I was making my way through San Sebastian / Donostia, I treated myself to a really great non-pilgrim dinner. This Basque city deservedly gets its own culinary pilgrims. I had a beautiful piece of halibut, set in Biscayne sauce (bacalao a la Vizcaíno) -- Never to be forgotten. The following recipe is the best I’ve been able to find for the sauce with ingredients I can find in California. As for the halibut / bacalao? The less done, the better, salt and pepper in a little olive oil, just a few minutes on each side depending on the thickness -- longer is not better. Spread the sauce (below) generously on the plate and set the cooked halibut on it and enjoy!

Biscayne Sauce

Servings: 3 cups Source: foodwine.com

INGREDIENTS
8 dried red choricero peppers, or 6 dried red California (Anaheim) or ancho peppers (see Note)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 tablespoons serrano ham or
prosciutto, chopped (optional)
Salt
About 1/2 cup tomato sauce

DESCRIPTION
Does the substitution of other peppers than choriceros affect the dish? Of course! But it’s still delicious.

DIRECTIONS

1. Put the peppers into a bowl, and soak them in cold water for at least 8 hours. Transfer the peppers and soaking liquid to a saucepan, and heat them over medium heat until they are simmering, but not boiling. Drain the peppers, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Slit the peppers open, and scrape out the seeds. Discard the seeds.

2. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté them for about 5 minutes, until they are softened. Add the peppers and ham, if you're using it, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the peppers begin to soften. Reduce the heat to low, add the reserved cooking liquid, and season to taste with salt. Cook, stirring, for 20 to 30 minutes, until the peppers are very soft and the sauce is slightly reduced.

3. Add the tomato sauce (you may want to add a little more or a little less than 1/2 cup, according to your taste), and cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is hot. Pass it through a food mill, and serve it immediately, or store it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

NOTES
Because California and ancho peppers tend to be a little larger than choriceros, I use fewer of them.

This is a really easy one - but delicious!
Matrimonio Tapas (eaten in Zamora on the VdP)
Slices of fresh bread spread with milk jam (condensed milk) and then topped with an anchovy.
It is heavenly....😇

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
My hubby and I first walked on the Frances in 2018 and fell in love with Caldo Gallego, although he is vegan and had to pick out all of the pork products from the soup. He developed a vegan version to make at home (using smoked paprika to make up for the lack of smoked pork products):

Vegan Caldo Gallego (feeds 2-3 hungry perigrinos)
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
2 cubes (vegetable) bouillon
1 med potato, peeled and diced
2 med or 1 lg carrot, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T olive oil
2 "handfuls" of greens (turnip greens, kale, collard greens all work well), chopped
1/2 t smoked paprika
salt to taste

Mix beans, bouillon, with water to cover, bring to boil over med heat. Add potato, carrot, garlic, and olive oil (top off water if needed), cover and simmer 15 mins. Add greens and spices, cover and simmer 5 more mins.

Optional additions of course include ham/bacon/sausage, for the carnivores among us!

(This and other vegan recipes can be found in his cookbook Camino Eats for the Solo Vegan, available on Amazon in Kindle and print, shameless plug).

I tried this recipe and added tiny pasta to it to give it more body. It came out thick like a stew. So we added chicken broth for the second reheating and voila. Superb lentil soup!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
As mi esposa pointed out, I wrote a Vegan cookbook for the Camino. If you'd like an electronic version (epub or MOBI), just shoot me a message and I'll send you a copy, gratis. If you feel you must purchase, then check out Amazon and Kobo (but why spend the money?). The meals can easily be adapted if you must eat animal :cool:

My hubby and I first walked on the Frances in 2018 and fell in love with Caldo Gallego, although he is vegan and had to pick out all of the pork products from the soup. He developed a vegan version to make at home (using smoked paprika to make up for the lack of smoked pork products):

Vegan Caldo Gallego (feeds 2-3 hungry perigrinos)
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
2 cubes (vegetable) bouillon
1 med potato, peeled and diced
2 med or 1 lg carrot, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T olive oil
2 "handfuls" of greens (turnip greens, kale, collard greens all work well), chopped
1/2 t smoked paprika
salt to taste

Mix beans, bouillon, with water to cover, bring to boil over med heat. Add potato, carrot, garlic, and olive oil (top off water if needed), cover and simmer 15 mins. Add greens and spices, cover and simmer 5 more mins.

Optional additions of course include ham/bacon/sausage, for the carnivores among us!

(This and other vegan recipes can be found in his cookbook Camino Eats for the Solo Vegan, available on Amazon in Kindle and print, shameless plug).
The traditional caldo galego eaten in rural Galicia has potatoes, beans, vegetables (turnip greens, kale, collard greens) and unto (lard).
I think that carrots,olive oil, garlic and bouillon replace succesfully the lard for a vegan caldo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.