• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Toothpaste?

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
At Peregrina 2000's suggestion I am now posing the question about what is your favorite toothpaste to take when you walk on the Camino?

My hope is that this thread is solely dedicated to the topic without becoming controversial like the thread I posted about deodorant preferences. Just interested in what you like to use for cleaning your teeth.

With that said, I usually will take a small travel size toothpaste - Crest, Colgate, etc. with me and replenish along he way when I'm on the Camino. Because I am a lightweight backpacker, I would like to mention a great tip I got years ago from a backpacking group, Listerine Strips! They work incredibly well with a toothbrush and clean your teeth quite effectively. If I run out of toothpaste, the strips do the job:)

I do abide by the saying "You take take care of the ounces (grams) and the pounds (kilos) take care of themselves." And, no, I do not cut my toothbrush's handle, nor do I do other crazy stuff like that. Using lightweight equipment and paying attention to the weight I carry makes long distance walking enjoyable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Who are you calling crazy?
You could get kicked off the forum for that!
Anyway......Drilling holes along the handle of your toothbrush is common sense.
It's like look after the grams and the kilos will look after themselves.
Watch yourself cobber, relse I'll pot you to the mods.
Gerard

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A travel size lasted me over half my walk with twice per day use. Next time I'll take 2 of those. Why carry and not buy there? It's one of those things I'm quite picky about. I hate the flavor of wintergreen (think pepto-bismol) and almost all brands in travel size here in the US are wintergreen although they say on the label some sort of mint. They're not mint! I finally found a brand that is actually mint and that's what I seek out for all my travel.

For the first few days, if I'm lucky enough to have same, I use what comes in my airplane kit with the toothbrush and mask and socks. I don't bother to pack a toothbrush if I know I'm getting one on the plane. If I don't have that option, I just take a tiny travel tube of whatever I could get at the drug store.
Then, if I'm landing somewhere that will get me to a HEMA store, I pick up a very small HEMA toothpaste.
After that, when I stay (about 1 time per 10 days) in a hotel, I keep the tiny toothpastes that come with the room. I still have the remains from the Via de la Plata Spa in Astorga (2018), and from the Parador in Santiago (2019) to start out with this trip.
Eventually, I will probably find a grocery store and purchase a small tube of something.
The flavours of the local brands are unusual enough that if I open them later, long after arriving at home, I can open up the toothpaste and be transported to a specific place and experience.

Who are you calling crazy?
You could get kicked off the forum for that!
Anyway......Drilling holes along the handle of your toothbrush is common sense.
It's like look after the grams and the kilos will look after themselves.
Watch yourself cobber, relse I'll pot you to the mods.
Gerard
greardcarey, I agree with you. My crazy comment was just facetiously spoken:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
LUSH has toothy tabs and I used them on my last Camino. I liked them a lot. They not only cleaned my teeth well but whitened them too. 😁😬
Those tabs sound like a winner with the benefits of cleaning plus whitening! I'll look for them and try them out. Who knows? I might take Lush Tabs on my Camino next mont:)

I've seen tips on the forum to use your toothpaste from home, squeeze out drops onto wax paper, let them dry out and take them with you.
Wow! That is a novel idea! I have never heard of doing that, though it doesn't surprise me because I dehydrate my backpacking food at home - including yogurt, mole, my favorite soup , etc. and it works perfectly well:)!

Never mind the toothpaste, I'm seriously considering taking my electric toothbrush on my next camino. I'm getting to the age where the old teeth and gums appreciate a buzzy clean. 235g or 8.25 ounces for plug/charger and brush. Not so bad.
And I promise not to wander round the dormitory at 5am cleaning my teeth (with my headtorch on)...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At Peregrina 2000's suggestion I am now posing the question about what is your favorite toothpaste to take when you walk on the Camino?

My hope is that this thread is solely dedicated to the topic without becoming controversial like the thread I posted about deodorant preferences. Just interested in what you like to use for cleaning your teeth.

With that said, I usually will take a small travel size toothpaste - Crest, Colgate, etc. with me and replenish along he way when I'm on the Camino. Because I am a lightweight backpacker, I would like to mention a great tip I got years ago from a backpacking group, Listerine Strips! They work incredibly well with a toothbrush and clean your teeth quite effectively. If I run out of toothpaste, the strips do the job:)

I do abide by the saying "You take take care of the ounces (grams) and the pounds (kilos) take care of themselves." And, no, I do not cut my toothbrush's handle, nor do I do other crazy stuff like that. Using lightweight equipment and paying attention to the weight I carry makes long distance walking enjoyable.
On long walks (Appalachian Trail, Via Francigena, Paris-Norte-Primitivo) I don’t carry toothpaste. Just extra weight that adds up. I do, however, brush, floss, and pick. : )

Never mind the toothpaste, I'm seriously considering taking my electric toothbrush on my next camino. I'm getting to the age where the old teeth and gums appreciate a buzzy clean. 235g or 8.25 ounces for plug/charger and brush. Not so bad.
And I promise not to wander round the dormitory at 5am cleaning my teeth (with my headtorch on)...
We do use what I call "travel" electric toothbrushes for the Camino and for other camping and travel. They are Oral B Pulsar. Not quite as good as our home electric toothbrush. But light weight and do a better job than the manual brush. I also try to take enough dental floss, because I have found the Spanish brands to be good mainly only for string and not dental hygiene.

Beyond discussing the enormous weight of your tube and brush and the fragrance it exudes I hear some toothpastes cure snoring.

I jest.....I think.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
anything you use at home but squeezed into a tiny baggie to save a few ounces of weight, it all adds up :)

Whilst I am an advocate for packing as light as possible (don't carry what if's) to walk the Camino I am not an OCD gram/ounce counter when it comes to things like toiletries etc. I cannot imagine going into my shop outside and drilling holes in a toothbrush handle, or anything similar lol :D. It's not a wilderness hike, or a long range reconnaissance patrol. I enjoy the comforts of hot and cold running water and beds in albergues. :)
As far as toothpaste is concerned, as I have mentioned in another post, I carry a full sized tube of any of the typical varieties. It's a consumable and gets lighter everyday. Same with soap. I carry two full sized bars. They get smaller everyday. Same with me. I always lost about 10 kilos on every Camino I walked. Get lighter everyday.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I buy any brand of travel size toothpaste and it lasts me the whole 35-42 days when on the Camino as I choose to only brush at night.😱 I use the cute little collapsible airline "free" toothbrush, but the free toothpaste is too small to bother with.

Last edited:
I am not particular about toothpaste, and when traveling I usually start out with whatever comes in a small tube in the drugstore. I buy more if I run out. I have traveled a fair bit, and I don’t buy many keepsakes, but I do find it amusing to have a tube of toothpaste and other toiletries covered in Japanese or Arabic or Cyrillic script, or whatever looks the most different from what I can buy at home. Then I use it up and toss it. Sometimes I look in my toilet kit and it’s like a UN meeting in there. 🤣

I am particular about my toothbrush. Soft bristles and a small head per my dentist’s orders, so I don’t use any of the airplane or collapsible ones.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I just got back from my dental appointment with a new travel toothbrush that's going with me on the Camino. Now, the quandary, 🤔 I have to decide whether to take my Listerine strips for a total of 7/8 oz or my travel size toothpaste at 1¾ oz ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4174.jpeg
    IMG_4174.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4175.jpeg
    IMG_4175.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Well, I just got back from my dental appointment with a new travel toothbrush that's going with me on the Camino. Now, the quandary, 🤔 I have to decide whether to take my Listerine strips or my travel size toothpaste
Wow, that's a Cadillac model travel toothbrush..and probably totally "free"!😉
My "advise" is to take both the paste and the strips; just brush twice as often.😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For the first few days, if I'm lucky enough to have same, I use what comes in my airplane kit with the toothbrush and mask and socks. I don't bother to pack a toothbrush if I know I'm getting one on the plane. If I don't have that option, I just take a tiny travel tube of whatever I could get at the drug store.
Where do you fly that you get an airplane kit with the toothbrush, mask and socks? I am surely missing out on my flights to/from the US! Haha I recently read someone else's post that mentioned getting airplane socks.

I have had those Listerine strips turn into a little impenetrable brick in hot weather. Not humid weather, just hot, as you might expect to find along the Camino most of the year. I don’t recommend them for outdoor travel.

Where do you fly that you get an airplane kit with the toothbrush, mask and socks?
I was wondering that, too! I did manage to get upgraded once to business class on a flight to Spain, and received that package. But then I was faced with the ethical quandary of whether to toss the cheapo socks and extra toothbrush or carry them across Spain.

Looking at flights currently, and it would double my ticket cost to get business class, even with airline points. That would be very expensive toothpaste!

Where do you fly that you get an airplane kit with the toothbrush, mask and socks? I am surely missing out on my flights to/from the US! Haha I recently read someone else's post that mentioned getting airplane socks.
I will chime in here. I often "used" to get cute free kits on international flights out of Chicago. My favorite came from Turkish Airlines. Here's one of theirs I never used except for the sleeping mask and earplugs. Probably many airlines are eliminating these little freebies due to budget cuts.
IMG_20220308_112139090.jpg

Twenty years ago when we flew to Australia on Qantas we received those amenity kits in Economy class, but I've never been given them on any other airline.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will chime in here. I often "used" to get cute free kits on international flights out of Chicago. My favorite came from Turkish Airlines. Here's one of theirs I never used except for the sleeping mask and earplugs. Probably many airlines are eliminating these little freebies due to budget cuts.
View attachment 120013
Yeah, I have only gotten kits like this on European night trains! Of course, many of those also included a mini bottle of wine!! Most US airlines I fly on now don't even give out headphones unless you ask or buy, same with blankets etc...

I also try to take enough dental floss, because I have found the Spanish brands to be good mainly only for string and not dental hygiene.
Now, THIS almost deserves a thread of its own. (NO, please! :eek::eek:) Even at home, I need to make the rounds of stores to find the exact floss that I need/want, so I always take enough with me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use "Hello" charcoal toothpaste tabs and put them in a pill bag instead of the metal tin. Another response stated they are a bit messy in the sinks, and I agree that the Lush brand was messy as it has more coconut oil in the ingredients. I'm a fan of Hello...use them at home, perfect for travel.

€60,-
We did get the "flight kit" when flying Quantas to Australia twice and I still have an eye mask from 2009 which I take on the Camino now. A few times we have flown Economy Plus to Spain (just the longest segment) and got the socks, pillow, blanket, toiletries and a bunch of other stuff we did not really need in a bundle.

Now, THIS almost deserves a thread of its own. (NO, please! :eek::eek:) Even at home, I need to make the rounds of stores to find the exact floss that I need/want, so I always take enough with me.
I did use my Spanish floss one time to tie a bag transfer envelope to my pack. It was the only time I transferred my bag and it seemed the only good use for the floss after lacerating my gums.

I did use my Spanish floss one time to tie a bag transfer envelope to my pack. It was the only time I transferred my bag and it seemed the only good use for the floss after lacerating my gums.
Oh, another good topic for a thread..."101 uses for dental floss". Advise often given on the forum is to make sure most of the items you bring have "multiple" uses.🙂

€60,-

Travel size of what I use at home. If I run out, I buy another.

I am a bit amused by your sense that you think that our responses regarding “deodorants” were controversial 😂😂.

Regarding toothpaste,I use sensodyne as well as picks, and a combo of listerine and H2O2. …. but I leave the deoderant at home for select occasions. …

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 120013
Now only in business, or 1st class on UA for such goodies. I remember many years ago on Condor Air getting such extras for inexpensive flights to Germany. .

I am a bit amused by your sense that you think that our responses regarding “deodorants” were controversial 😂😂.

Regarding toothpaste,I use sensodyne as well as picks, and a combo of listerine and H2O2. …. but I leave the deoderant at home for select occasions. …
Well, someone thought it was:) and they closed the thread so no more comments can be added:(

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was upgraded to business class for free on Finnish airlines once and I got one of those kits.

British Airways used to give out flight packs in every cabin.
So did Air France and KLM.
I no longer know about those as I’ve not flown with them since 2014.
Sometimes, I am lucky enough to be flying with a company making all my arrangements and they put me in premium economy.
Or… I bid on a better seat at the last minute and get it for a small fee.
Or… I’ve been upgraded to business…
Or, as is the case this time… I’m buying upgraded tickets with points — because the arthritis in my spine can no longer handle the economy seats for more than about 3 hours.
I have heard good things from people coming from Australia about the all-cabin amenities and extras on Emirates.

€60,-
Flying from Australia to pretty much anywhere you are nearly always given amenities kits. I find the eye masks are particularly helpful for sleeping in albergues!

Have used the Lush tabs on Camino and they work very well. Recommend.

I know you did not want this question disintegrating into something other than your intended post about toothpaste. BUT I cannot entertain your attention to minutiae while ignoring the only question that really matters when setting out on your Camino—Are you in shape?

Last edited:
I know you did not want this question disintegrating into something other than your intended post about toothpaste. BUT I cannot entertain your attention to minutiae while ignoring the only question that really matters when setting out on your Camino—Are you in shape?
Like all things on the camino (and to avoid "breakdowns") it is wise to have a checkup at the dentist before going and make sure you are good to go and in good shape.
As compeed is to blisters so toothpaste is to teeth ...and when discussing blisters it may be pertinent not to introduce toothpaste ( snoring and pack weight count too) into the discussion.
For me, it is Oral B....because my dentist recommended it. My breath also smells sweeter (apologies to those who might find this nasally offensive) and I am nicer to be around and it also counteracts all the nasty little microbes that exist after all that chocolate..

Last edited:
FYI - when my little travel-sized tube of toothpaste had run out, I've had good success refilling it by squeezing more into it from a full-sized tube bought at any local tienda.
Ahhh you bring up a point that I've made in the past..."travel size", "sample size" items were NOT available in many small tienda / mercardo in villages and difficult to find in big grocery stores as well. What we found was family sized everything ( including shampoo ) ...so one would now be carrying a giant tube ( which was avoided in the first place ) or squeezing into a small one and wasting the rest. I cant waste anything. Hospitaleros told us they would need to throw out open tubes left behind for safety reasons....I recommend bringing the exact size one might need for entire trip for tubes or use tabs.
Of course responders are going to argue, but this was our experience on several camino routes. One never runs out of something in a convenient place...lol !

I cant waste anything.
Me neither!

One never runs out of something in a convenient place...lol !
That has usually been my experience on the Camino, too, and I don't prefer having to "step out" of my "mental zone" to look and shop for things along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yes, this is undoubtedly going on a different tack :cool: Am I in shape? Yes, absolutely! I consider staying in shape a longevity lifestyle just as much as having a healthy diet;);)

Samples don't last long enough for 2 people to use very long although we do use it on camping trips.
So bring two, so each of you has one? You can surely manage the extra weight. 😉
I don't prefer having to "step out" of my "mental zone" to look and shop for things along the way
I love to dip in to 'ordinary Spain' in the local tienda - and some of the small villiage ones are experiences unto themselves. That said, they probably won't have travel sized toothpaste. 😄

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€60,-
I have had those Listerine strips turn into a little impenetrable brick in hot weather. Not humid weather, just hot, as you might expect to find along the Camino most of the year. I don’t recommend them for outdoor travel.
I actually have used Listerine strips for multiple backpacking trips without a problem. Perhaps it's because it's always inside a snack size ziplock by itself and not with my toothbrush?

Just for safety I probably will follow Camino Chrissy's advice and. take a travel size tube of toothpaste and my Listerine strips. I'll report my findings as soon as I return:)

And my teeth tend to shred floss!
Have you tried Oral B Glide?
Not toothpaste, so off topic. But it works in tight places.

Of course food is my one main exception. I love stepping in to the often quirky, small village tiendas...I load up on snacks and fruit.😊
And pharmacias. They are another possible place to get toothpaste and floss.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is the only one I can use, but the samples are usually something else.
Oh, well. The good thing is that a 40m pack doesn't weigh much more than a sample. Comparing them now, I realize my knee-jerk decision to take a sample on my caminos was just silly. 🤣
Retracting my advice!

Wow, that much? I have no scale and they both felt pretty light.

Hmmm. A lot of pretty light is heavy, so maybe for a short camino the sample would be the way to go. But for a month, I'll be going whole hog. 😂

€60,-
I would take a half-used container, thus saving 3g.
No wait, It's probably the container that makes up a lot of the weight difference. Now who will be the first one to dismantle their floss and weigh the floss and container separately?
🤔🤣😇
(What is it about dental products that bring out the next level of ultralight silliness?)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No wait, It's probably the container that makes up a lot of the weight difference. Now who will be the first one to dismantle their floss and weigh the floss and container separately?
I assumed the same size container (which they almost are) and halved the difference in weight. I take the container for the luxury of having tbe nifty cutter.
Please stop. If you lost one pound, it would make up for the weight of all your toothpaste, all your floss, all your clothes.
Yes, well, that is next on the agenda for this meeting. After a snack break.

I take the container for the luxury of having tbe nifty cutter.
Not to mention that it keeps those meters of floss from turning into a tangled mass.
Thanks ladies. This was an amusing distraction.

Good Lord. Please stop. If you lost one pound, it would make up for the weight of all your toothpaste, all your floss, all your clothes.
But then what would we obsess about?
🙃
We're not serious, @Walkerooni.
We're joking.
And you are absolutely correct.

One option for flossing:
An 18-24" piece of 550 paracord, of which some folks carry to hang clothes if no drying line is available.
Pull the 7 strands from inside, then separate the strands into individual threads.
Could provide enough floss for a month if the situation dictated or if traveling ultralight is of utmost concern.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One option for flossing:
An 18-24" piece of 550 paracord, of which some folks carry to hang clothes if no drying line is available.
Pull the 7 strands from inside, then separate the strands into individual threads.
Could provide enough floss for a month if the situation dictated or if traveling ultralight is of utmost concern.
A perfect example of bringing an item on the Camino that has multiple uses so definitely saves on pack weight, taking "multi-use" to a whole new level. @davebugg will be impressed😂 and ask himself..."Why didn't I think of that".🤔

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry, I started the whole floss diversion, but people do need to know that although there are stores in Spain, they may not carry the specific floss you like to use. I have never seen Glide floss there and we are often there for 2 months or so. Samples just won't last us that long.

Good Lord. Please stop. If you lost one pound, it would make up for the weight of all your toothpaste, all your floss, all your clothes.
Right? I am a true believer in ultralight and really prefer to have my pack weigh no more than 13 lbs. (5.89 kg.). It makes for less stress on my back, my knees and my feet, plus I don't have to wear hiking boots:) Having had multiple toe surgeries, a hip replaced and 2 partial knee replacements, every single ounce (gram) counts and makes me a very happy walker:)

Sorry, I started the whole floss diversion, but people do need to know that although there are stores in Spain, they may not carry the specific floss you like to use. I have never seen Glide floss there and we are often there for 2 months or so. Samples just won't last us that long.
Why worry.
I'm guessing that this thread (and its sister "deodorant" thread) is only about personal hygiene on the camino....asked in a different way.
If you ask it in the form of "advice"or "recommendations" you will only get numerous posts with members own choices and favourites.
Quite cute and clever.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry, I started the whole floss diversion
You're off the hook @J Willhaus, absolved of all responsibility! Even though you mentioned it first, it was we who ran with it.
😳

Samples just won't last us that long.
No, they won't. But who gets to walk 2-month caminos, or to be in Spain for 2 months? Lucky dogs. I'm envious. ;)

If you are partial to Glide Floss it makes perfect sense to take exactly what you need with you for that length of time:) I'm happy picking up whatever I might run out of along the way, and I like just about anything, so it's easier for me to buy travel size products:)

€60,-
No, they won't. But who gets to walk 2-month caminos, or to be in Spain for 2 months? Lucky dogs. I'm envious. ;)
Ahh...,time often inclusive of walking on the Camino, serving as hospitaleros and various other activities such as taking Spanish lessons and/or volunteering at an English speaking school. Love that simple nomadic lifestyle living out of a backpack and helping out where we can...

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.