• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite variant of Camino Portugues?

crbonade

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2022)
Hello everyone,

I just finished my first Camino last week (the Primitivo), and a pilgrim I met along the way recommended the Portuguese (from Porto) for my next one, since I can't get a lot of time off work at once. He specifically recommended the Coastal, since it can be done in a relatively short time (I did the Primitivo in 12 days, as a point of reference).

I'm starting with that as a planning point, but out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite 'variant'? I'm contemplating Coastal/Litoral combined with the Spiritual, probably for a May Camino in the next couple of years. (And solo, which I wish I had done for the Primitivo)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
what is everyone's favorite 'variant'?
I'm sorry I can't help you directly, since I haven't walked the Camino in Portugal, but I think you might get better responses if you clarify what you are asking.

It can sometimes get confusing to refer to "variants" and "routes" and there are no firm definitions. Generally we refer to "routes" on a larger scale, and the forum has a number of them listed here for Portugal. Within those routes, there will be some smaller "variants" that might only be a one-stage difference. We tag some threads with "route variant/side-trip" but even that is not well defined.

Perhaps you could clarify what you are asking about - short variants within the Camino Coastal from Porto, or different combination routes to Santiago.

I'm sorry I can't help you directly, since I haven't walked the Camino in Portugal, but I think you might get better responses if you clarify what you are asking.

It can sometimes get confusing to refer to "variants" and "routes" and there are no firm definitions. Generally we refer to "routes" on a larger scale, and the forum has a number of them listed here for Portugal. Within those routes, there will be some smaller "variants" that might only be a one-stage difference. We tag some threads with "route variant/side-trip" but even that is not well defined.

Perhaps you could clarify what you are asking about - short variants within the Camino Coastal from Porto, or different combination routes to Santiago.
Referring to different combos of the Camino Portuguese - coastal vs central, litoral or not, spiritual or not. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone,

I just finished my first Camino last week (the Primitivo), and a pilgrim I met along the way recommended the Portuguese (from Porto) for my next one, since I can't get a lot of time off work at once. He specifically recommended the Coastal, since it can be done in a relatively short time (I did the Primitivo in 12 days, as a point of reference).

I'm starting with that as a planning point, but out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite 'variant'? I'm contemplating Coastal/Litoral combined with the Spiritual, probably for a May Camino in the next couple of years. (And solo, which I wish I had done for the Primitivo)
I'd vote for the Variante Espiritual - one of the most beautiful hikes in my life!

Only done the Coastal, parts of the Senda and VE would do again!
I love the sea, lived by it for over 40 years and missed it.
The Variant Espiritual was the best bit with Combarro, Armentiera and the boat!
Got very windy for a couple of days along the coast ; but that made the sea dance which was nice!
I have posted these vids before but might give you an insight and sorry for my language in the hills i was knackered!
Wherever you walk Buen Camino
Woody

Attachments

• GREAT ATMOSPHERE SINGING PORTUGUSE ANTHEM.mp4
    9.7 MB
  • UP IN THE HILLS TO VILLA NOVA.mp4
    7.7 MB
  • TAPAS COMBARRO.mp4
    7.6 MB
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I preferred the Coastal in Portugal to Galicia, but one warning is they're both more expensive than a typical Camino - - but if that's no particular worry for you, go ahead !! The route overall is great, and the flatness of it is actually brilliant.

I have walked Coastal routes in Italy, the whole of Mediterranean France, and these ; the Coastal Portuguese surpasses all of them to my mind, though some particular points in all of them are comparable.

@crbonade, good luck with your choices, I'm sure you will enjoy whichever variation of the CP you choose.

Firstly, the coastal is not shorter than the central. Actually I believe it's a bit longer if you take the coast as far as you can.

Edit: either way, it’s shorter than the Primitivo.

I'm starting with that as a planning point, but out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite 'variant'? I'm contemplating Coastal/Litoral combined with the Spiritual, probably for a May Camino in the next couple of years.
Many people opt to start out on the coastal because the first day or two on the central are not as nice. I liked staying at Mosteiro de Vairão on the first night on the central (and met camino ninja there, RIP), but it's true that there are some busy roads getting out of Porto and a lot of cobblestones later on.

If you start on the coast, there are (I believe) three main options for getting back to the central, which you will have to do eventually.

1) Leaving the coastal at Vila do Conde, giving just 1.5 days on the coast but allowing you to return to the central in time for Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda and Ponte de Lima, meaning that you basically don't miss any of the highlight places of the central. If you want to largely do the CP central but with a nicer beginning, this is the option for you.

2) Leaving the coastal at Caminha, meaning you spend longer on the coast and get to experience all the Portuguese part of it (e.g. including Viana do Castelo), and heading inland at the Minho river, joining the central at Valença but missing the places listed above. This option gives the most even split between the two.

3) Continuing all the way on the coast, including Oia and Baiona, via Vigo and joining the central at Redondela, missing Valença and Tui on the central. This is if you really prefer the coast.

Basically, it depends on how much you want to be near the ocean. The longer you stay on the coast, the more interesting cultural/historical stuff you'll miss inland. Personally I prefer the cultural/historical stuff, and I didn't find the coastal scenery to be outstanding, but of course there are others who prefer the coast. Up to you.

Regarding variants on the coastal, on the typical days three (from Esposende) and four (from Viana do Castelo), the official coastal route heads inland but you can choose to stay closer to the coast (the Senda Litoral). I took the inland route on day three and the coastal on day four and was happy with both choices.

Later on, in Spain, there is a coastal variant from Baiona to Vigo that was recommended and which I also took.

Finally, I highly recommend the Variante Espiritual as others have. I've walked it twice and it's wonderful.

Last edited:
@crbonade We walked @jungleboy Option 1 in Sept/Oct 2021, and included the Spiritual Variant. It gave us a taste of the Coastal which was all we needed since we live near the beach. But, as he suggests, you then get to hit some highlights. I’d say Casa da Fernanda is an absolute must, as is the Spiritual Variant. Enjoy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, and if you have just a week, I can’t recommend the Camino San Salvador highly enough. I walked it solo in May 2022 and It’s simply amazing - so much so that I’m bringing my wife with me to do it again next year.
After walking the Camino Frances twice, I'm looking at the Primitivo next, but I'm trying to decide between starting in Leon to walk the San Salvador too, or just taking a bus direct to Oviedo from Leon and starting there. I noticed you walked the San Salvador during the month of May, which would be the time of year I would go. I'm a bit torn on whether to do the San Salvador. I know no other route is as "busy/crowded" as the CF and I'm not at all looking for that level of crowd, but, I've heard/read it can be lonely, for lack of a better word, and I do enjoy the company of some pilgrims - at breaks or in the evening. What was the traffic like during that time of the year on the San Salvador?

After walking the Camino Frances twice, I'm looking at the Primitivo next, but I'm trying to decide between starting in Leon to walk the San Salvador too, or just taking a bus direct to Oviedo from Leon and starting there. I noticed you walked the San Salvador during the month of May, which would be the time of year I would go. I'm a bit torn on whether to do the San Salvador. I know no other route is as "busy/crowded" as the CF and I'm not at all looking for that level of crowd, but, I've heard/read it can be lonely, for lack of a better word, and I do enjoy the company of some pilgrims - at breaks or in the evening. What was the traffic like during that time of the year on the San Salvador?
Don’t worry - just do it! I met some amazing people on this Camino. There are NO crowds, but you don’t have to be alone. I was never, ever lonely. I’ve walked five different Caminos, and this is my favorite..so far ;)

Oddly enough, I had tears in my eyes entering the cathedral in Oviedo. That has never happened to me in Santiago. I can’t really explain it. I was extremely grateful for what I had experienced!

I posted every day in the “Live” section of the forum if you want to read about my journey. And, 5 days on the San Salvador prepared me extremely well for 11 days along the Primitivo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Regardless of how much time you have you can walk any route - just choose a start and end point that fits with your schedule.

I preferred the Coastal in Portugal to Galicia, but one warning is they're both more expensive than a typical Camino - - but if that's no particular worry for you, go ahead !! The route overall is great, and the flatness of it is actually brilliant.

I have walked Coastal routes in Italy, the whole of Mediterranean France, and these ; the Coastal Portuguese surpasses all of them to my mind, though some particular points in all of them are comparable.
My wife and I walked the Portuguese Camino in 2017 and want to walk the coastal route, starting in Porto, next May. How much of the coastal route is actually on the coast and how much is inland? It sounds like it is flat compared to walking inland through Galicia? Is most of the walking on sand or boardwalk? Are towns spaced closely enough to shorten days when needed? Thanks for any information you are able to provide.

Towns can be as short as you wish , great choices.
We turned left @ Caminha and again had days of any length.
We should have gone Spiritual Variant and will if ever repeated,

First day .....10km to seafood .
We sent bags ahead and enjoyed these lovely peoples company.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have only done the coastal and I loved every minute of it but I grew up on the Oregon coast.
This was the route I took.
Porto - Spent 2 days here before starting
Vila do Conde
Esposende
Viana do Castelo
Vila Praia de Ancora
A Guarda
Oia
Baiona
Vigo
Redondela
Pontevedra
Caldas De Rais
Padron
Santiago de Compostela

I am planning on the Salvador/Primitivo in 2024 and looking forward to it already!

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back