• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Via de la Plata YouTube Video?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Merry Christmas... I've spent a couple of hours hatching a plan for my 2020 camino... wishing and hoping at this stage.... but it's exciting ❤ 🌈

Merry Christmas... I've spent a couple of hours hatching a plan for my 2020 camino... wishing and hoping at this stage.... but it's exciting ❤ 🌈
Oh yes, we watched this! Very nice! Thanks!
We are trying to figure out how to do the day between Fuenteroble to San Pedro. We can't take two days to do it because we need to be in Salamanca on time so we'd like to taxi part way. We can't figure out where the Camino goes from our maps... or where to take a taxi to so we can walk 25k or less. We can't do any 30k without killing ourselves. Help?

I can't open it. It says my country is underdeveloped or doesnt have access to something or whatever. I'm sure it looks good. Or does anyone know how I can get hold of LesBrass' video??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are trying to figure out how to do the day between Fuenteroble to San Pedro. We can't take two days to do it because we need to be in Salamanca on time so we'd like to taxi part way. We can't figure out where the Camino goes from our maps... or where to take a taxi to so we can walk 25k or less. We can't do any 30k without killing ourselves. Help?

Oh sorry... That's the one stage I can't help you with. I was really sick at Fuenterroble albergue and the Priest drove us to a bus station and we took the bus to Salamanca... mainy because they said there were no medical services. There were a few folks in our little group who got sick :(:oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, it doesn't work! :O(

Oh well. The thing is that I could be back on the VDLP in 2021, so I wanted to refresh my memories with your video. Well I'll try to open it later in some way.

/BP
I remembered the login... it's because of the music & copyright issues. I'll have to take a look at that soon :(

I am really not very good at this - I don't have a photographic memory or detailed notes to refer back to, and I have only walked this part once. However, since today is a complete "day off" and no one else has chimed in, I will offer some comments, based on my photos, and a KML file on Google Earth.

I remember this day as being long and tiring but the weather was perfect and I enjoyed it.

Since you said you were having trouble seeing where the camino goes, I am attaching two "snips' from Google Earth. The Camino is the grey line and it looks right from my (vague) memory.
Capture.JPG

Then the next image is zoomed in. You can see there is a crossroads in the middle of the picture. The camino crosses there, about 6.5 km from Salvatierra. Maybe you can get dropped off there.
Capture2.JPG

Does this help?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@kelleymac
Hi I enjoyed revisiting those stops on the Le Puy Route and finishing in Sjpdp.
Did you upload the wrong video. I was wondering whether you also have footage on Vdlp ?
Annie

Oh drat. You're right. It's Le Puy -- I didn't read the original post closely enough! Apologies to all!

The first section of Camino from Fuenterroble de Salvatierra is very beautiful (from Fuenterroble to the summit "Pico de la Dueña"). As long as you can handle the climb, you should not miss that part. Quite soon after the peak, things turn less pretty. You soon find yourself walking alongside a road. The last 6.7im after Finca Calzadilla de Mendigos to San Pedro de Rozados is flat and (in my opinion) not very interesting. That is the section that I would miss if I had to ... but the question is how to arrange transportation. I don't see any taxi firms listed in that area. Your best bet might be to make arrangements in advance with the management of the hotel in San Pedro de Rozados. They might be able to arrange for a car to collect you at the Finca.

Hotel Rural VII Carreras
+34 923 34 40 75

An alternative would be to walk from Fuenterroble to Pedrosillo de los Aires. There is a newly opened Refugio for pilgrims there. The distance from Fuenterroble is 18km. It bypasses the summit (which means it's less strenuous, but you miss the chance to view the panorama.

You can see both routes on Gronze. (Click the + symbol to see the altitude profile for the route via the peak).

From Pedrosillo de los Aires there is a twice weekly bus to Salamanca at 09:35 (Mondays and Fridays - and no service if those days coincide with a holiday). Alternatively, you could walk some of the way and then call a taxi from Salamanca. The closer you get to Salamanca, the more missable the scenery becomes. It's not awful but it's an anticlimax after the dramatic scenery around Fuenterroble. If you need to be in Salamanca by a specific date, that's the section to miss in my opinion.

If just need to shorten the Camino somehow, I think that the stage from Salamanca to Cubo de la Tierra del Vino is more dreary than way into Salamanca ... Once you get to Cubo de la Tierra del Vino, things improve. There are more frequent bus services on the road to Cubo ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first section of Camino from Fuenterroble de Salvatierra is very beautiful (from Fuenterroble to the summit "Pico de la Dueña"). As long as you can handle the climb, you should not miss that part. Quite soon after the peak, things turn less pretty. You soon find yourself walking alongside a road. The last 6.7im after Finca Calzadilla de Mendigos to San Pedro de Rozados is flat and (in my opinion) not very interesting. That is the section that I would miss if I had to ... but the question is how to arrange transportation. I don't see any taxi firms listed in that area. Your best bet might be to make arrangements in advance with the management of the hotel in San Pedro de Rozados. They might be able to arrange for a car to collect you at the Finca.

Hotel Rural VII Carreras
+34 923 34 40 75
When I was walking, one of the pilgrims had booked to stay in that hotel and arranged with them for them to pick her up at that spot (Finca Calzadilla de Mendigos). In the end 4 of us took the lift as we were all staying there. From what I understand the walk along the road was fine, it was a quiet road and not hilly but the distance was a bit too far for my companion (and I’m not a fan of road walking!). VII Carreras was a lovely treat to stay in, nice welcome and lovely food.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My favs have to be Nalutia (for his thoughtful comments), Efren ( great photography and his rapid fire commentary) and Sara Dhoma (her strength, fun and bridge dances)
Sooo missed walking last year (due to severe plantar fasciitis) with my walking companion who did the vdlp, but fingers crossed for April 2020. Alas not the vdlp this time but Madrid (to test the foot) then if all systems go, San Salvador and Primitivo.
January 1st will be the start of graduated walking with orthotics and Hoka One One boots.
Buen Camino and Season Greetings/blessings to all 🙏🚶‍♀️

€83,-
Thanks! Did you start in April? What was the most difficult section for you? How did you manage it? Favorite section?
I can't tell which section was more difficult. I didn't have any problem at all with 24 km average a day. I had to stop at Aljucen because family-circumstances made me do this. Next year I will continu, and I enjoyed every day so much that I can't tell which the favorite section was.

€83,-
What month did you do this, CharlieWart?

It was on 30Aug2018. Weather-wise, it had been pretty dry I think -- I encountered very little mud, and conditions were pretty warm for me; staying cool was a problem. So it may not be at all representative of what one might find on that section in general, especially at other times of the year.

OzAnnie -- glad you enjoyed it! There is a bit more description on this page, if anyone's interested:
One big advantage -- I didn't have to worry about accommodation 😂

Mine is linked in my signature but I went via Astorga. I also filmed it on a crappy phone, so don't expect the quality to be very good!

€83,-
What I'm really looking for are photos/video of the route itself. The walking paths. The terrain. Anyone? Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back