• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorites along "The Way"

Njoyzlife

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2015
Leaving in about a week and love to hear about some of the favorite places to stay! Albergues, pensions, Motels , B and B , Paradores. We plan on mixing it up, and don't mind going off the beaten path. Also other unexpected gems you found, wineries, cafés. Look forward to the recommendations!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Far too many wonderful experiences to decide which one was best. Very often, one's fantastic memory is formed not by the place itself but rather by the people you meet there, the meal you shared in a restaurant or an albergue may have been godawful but the camaraderie, the joy, and the pleasure of simply being together with others sharing a similar goal leaves the impression! Only a few, the albergues Casa Paderborn in Pamplona, En el Camino in Boadilla del Camino and their communal meal, and Las Herrerias just before O'Cebreiro are all very special and all very different . One to avoid like the plague the so-called pilgrims pavilion Os Chacotes just before Palas de Rei. Another one I did not like because of the overcrowding was Santa Maria de Carvajal in Leon.

Last edited:
Very often, one's fantastic memory is formed not by the place itself but rather by the people you meet there, the meal you shared in a restaurant or an albergue may have been godawful but the camaraderie, the joy, and the pleasure of simply being together with others sharing a similar goal leaves the impression!

Amen. I remember the Muni at Larrasoana, a bit basic to say the least, but I had the most wonderful afternoon sitting in the back under the blue tarp and everyone's drying underwear along with several bottles of wine, listening to two young German men with beautiful voices singing, and leading the singing of everyone at times. An afternoon I'll never forget.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Leaving in about a week and love to hear about some of the favorite places to stay! Albergues, pensions, Motels , B and B , Paradores. We plan on mixing it up, and don't mind going off the beaten path. Also other unexpected gems you found, wineries, cafés. Look forward to the recommendations!

I recommend

Casa Roan - about 3km off the track south of Ligonde. They will pick-up at Ligonde after a phone call. Can be booked at booking.com.

Casa Morgade midway between Sarria and Portomarin is good. Can be booked via phone only but do have a web site.

David

I recommend albergue de la Piedra in Villafranca del bierzo

where I spend sometimes weeks helping out with my Camino son & daughter who own and run the place, such beautiful people so selfless....clean sheets guaranteed everyday.

Hi, albergue Los Cuatro Cantones in Belorado. Large garden and small swimming pool.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Attachments

• 20150428_134114.jpg
    20150428_134114.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, albergue Los Cuatro Cantones in Belorado. Large garden and small swimming pool.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
this place had a lovely feel about it,i enjoyed my stay there,,very relaxed and nice people.

In order of East to West (our top 3)

Albergue de Maribel in Cizur Menor (just West of Pamplona). Awesome staff that bandaged your feet and otherwise cared for you wonderfully. There was a turtle pond and beautiful gardens onsite. So relaxing after your first tiring days walks.

The Refugio at LaFaba. They serve vegetarian and you'll likely crave veggies by then.
The German run Albergue in the same town is also a favorite. But even if you stay there, eat at the Refugio and give them a big tip...you'll want to anyway. Yum!

The protestant run La Fuente del Perigrino in Ligonde (Lugo), was the place we were treated best. Having the staff insist on carrying you pack for you up the stairs to the loft was an unexpected gift that preceded fresh fruit, a beautiful tradition of leaving a message for the next days pilgrim and praying for those that had left messages for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1. The Church in Zabaldika and the adjacent Albergue in run by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart
[Edit...after posting...of course a tie with Granon........]
2. Santa Maria del Camino in Carrion de los Condes
3. (a toss-up and 3-way tie...which I know is a cop out but I can't decide)
Albergue San Antonio de Padua in Mazarife
La Faba (as stated above, by @DowtyCamino, exactly...)
El Beso in A Balsa (after Triacastella)

Last edited:
The albergues along the Primitivo, no mater how basic, just because they're on the Primitivo.

On the CF, the privadomin Sta Irene is like a doll's,hoise, but the one I wish I had stayed at in the Italian run restored chpael, ermita, what have you, San Nicolas?

...but the one I wish I had stayed at in the Italian run restored chpael, ermita, what have you, San Nicolas?

Albergue San Nicolas is located at Puente Fitero, just east of Itero del Castillo. Here is their page on Gronze.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Albergue San Nicolas is located at Puente Fitero, just east of Itero de Castelo.
Here is their page on Gronze.
Thank you for the link. Couldn't help but tilt my head when I read it is for pilgrims only. Perhaps,when some else asks the question about what a true pilgrim is we should ask these hospitaleros.

My personal favorites in no particular order (!):
Acacia & Orrietta's - so amazingly peaceful and a home cooked communal dinner
La Casa Magica - wonderful, shaded hammocks and again - home cooked communal dinner
I cam't remember the name, but after O'Cebriero, in a very small village called Fonfria there is an albergue that is very nice and friendly - you can choose to have the pilgrims dinner at a l-o-n-g table in a 'round house' across the street that was my favorite meal, just delicious.

Buen Camino!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Albergues, pensions, Motels , B and B , Paradores. We plan on mixing it up, and don't mind going off the beaten path. Also other unexpected gems you found, wineries, cafés. Look forward to the recommendations!

This post may be to late as I think you are already walking but......I love love love these 5 places to stay on the Camino, I stayed at so many during my 30 day trek and these were my favs: Albergue En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Church of Saint John the Baptist Grañón, Hotel Silken Gran Teatro Burgos. Albergue Ecológico El Beso in A Balsa, Albergue del Ave Fénix in Villafranca del Bierzo - I have posted pics, prices and how to find each of these places on my blog here: http://gabrielschirm.com/2015/02/20/5-amazing-places-to-stay-on-the-camino-de-santiago/

This post may be to late as I think you are already walking but......I love love love these 5 places to stay on the Camino, I stayed at so many during my 30 day trek and these were my favs: Albergue En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Church of Saint John the Baptist Grañón, Hotel Silken Gran Teatro Burgos. Albergue Ecológico El Beso in A Balsa, Albergue del Ave Fénix in Villafranca del Bierzo - I have posted pics, prices and how to find each of these places on my blog here: http://gabrielschirm.com/2015/02/20/5-amazing-places-to-stay-on-the-camino-de-santiago/
You brave man to have liked Ave Fenix. I was there on a rainy day, so perhaps I did not experience it in ideal conditions. But missing toilet seats, with no intention of replacing them, and large pieces of bathroom windows making showering super cold, not my cup of tea. Liked the desire to be as off grid as possible though. Also did not appreciate Jesus Jato's self promotion and family branding project. Postcards to your own effigy? How un-Camino. But he does know some wonderful jokes.

People have mixed opinions about the place, was the owner who sold it to me, loved his story a sweet sweet man, definitely rough around the edges but I tend to gravitate towards unpolished places.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
People have mixed opinions about the place, was the owner who sold it to me, loved his story a sweet sweet man, definitely rough around the edges but I tend to gravitate towards unpolished places.
Rough around the edges? Yup. :rolleyes:

We loved Casa Abuela in Los arcos. (they do your laundry for 1.50 euro...and we had a GREAT private room there. " A Pilgrim Albergue" in Belorado (private room again and good food.) The Parador in Santo Domingo , nice treat (not the one on the church square but the other one ) We also loved Hotel san anton (private room ) in Villafranca ( 2 days before Burgos. ) and not a albergue but restaurant in Melide..... Casa Alongos ....you walk by it before city center in Melide ...nice change from typical pilgrim menu. yay VEGETABLES lol.

We loved Casa Abuela in Los arcos. (they do your laundry for 1.50 euro...and we had a GREAT private room there. " A Pilgrim Albergue" in Belorado (private room again and good food.) The Parador in Santo Domingo , nice treat (not the one on the church square but the other one ) We also loved Hotel san anton (private room ) in Villafranca ( 2 days before Burgos. ) and not a albergue but restaurant in Melide..... Casa Alongos ....you walk by it before city center in Melide ...nice change from typical pilgrim menu. yay VEGETABLES lol.
Do you know of the family is still running the Casa de la Abuela? I heard they had been selling which would be a pity. First albergue I went to that prefered to do laundry for you for free than to have you break the machine and pour water all over the floor, and that had lockers with a lock. Must have been in ... 2012?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stayed there this March, and was told that it was under new ownership. But liked the place--and the hospitaleros--very much indeed.

restaurant in Melide..... Casa Alongos ....you walk by it before city center in Melide ...nice change from typical pilgrim menu. yay VEGETABLES
Where is this place?! Somehow I missed it. Melide is my idea of a culinary hell-realm...pulpo and more pulpo (I'm a vegetarian). Wandered around from one end of town to the other and back to the beginning again--ended up down at the pizza place as you enter town. OK but not great. Just wrote this on my map...thanks, Dutchwalk53.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Burguer Pulpo!!!!!! I gotta stop there next time!!!!!

rectoral lestedo and pazo sedor in galicia. casa noval ponferrada for lunch. buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
pazo sedor in galicia.

We stayed there on our guided "posh" camino. That place truly IS nice. We had the room right by the stairwell. My wife loved the window that opened onto the stairwell. Within walking distance of the Camino, also.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where is this place?! Somehow I missed it. Melide is my idea of a culinary hell-realm...pulpo and more pulpo (I'm a vegetarian). Wandered around from one end of town to the other and back to the beginning again--ended up down at the pizza place as you enter town. OK but not great. Just wrote this on my map...thanks, Dutchwalk53.
I went to that Pizza place too....very average. The nice place is a probably 1/2 km before you get to the Pizza place on the right hand side when you walk into Melide.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Burguer Pulpo!!!!!! I gotta stop there next time!!!!!

I was brought up in middle-America eating pot roast, meat loaf, macaroni and cheese. The thought of eating octupus is "outside the box" for me... but then walking The Camino is also "outside the box". When a plate of Pulpo is placed in front of me, how do I eat it? Put a whole piece in my mouth suction cups and all? I don't want to make too big a fool of myself.

Thanks

Last edited:
Pulpo usually comes already cut into bite-size pieces. Just pop it in and chew. If its good pulpo it will be tender and tasty and after your second mouthful you won't care what it looks like. Plain boiled potatoes are the usual accompaniment. Oh, and cervesa :)

Tincatinker is right. Most of the time Pulpo comes in bite sized chunks, on a wooden board with olive oil, paprika, and sea salt sprinkled on it. It is VERY good. The interior part is just white meat, with a texture of something like lobster. It will have the skin still on it and the suction cups. They're a little softer than the interior part. Pulpo does not have a strong taste, just a very mild seafood taste.

I've had it a number of ways. As described above most of the time; but also baked in the oven with potatoes, chopped up in very small pieces in a vinaigrette salad, pulpo and rice (that must have been the "down-home" version), and grilled pulpo and shrimp skewers. I've never had it that I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. As I said, it has a mild flavor, so don't fear that you're going to get a wild, strong, fishy taste.

As I tell people: Maine has its lobster, New England has its clams, Maryland has it's crabs (pardon me while I genuflect in the direction of Annapolis), the South has its shrimp, and Louisiana has its crayfish, but Galicia has its pulpo. And its all good.

I actually stayed here due to story of the rebuild and Brierlys recommendation. I can say I was disappointed, maybe those currently manning this Albergue need to lift their game?

For me, the joy of the Camino is just letting it all unfold rather than trying to make it into a collection of greatest hits - having said that, I do treat myself to the Parador in Santiago at the end
oh one day , maybe at the end of the camino i will have more than a couple of euros to spend on a treat luxury night :)..to be honest even a quite room with just two in a very average room was cool ..but i will dream on ..the feel of a real bed ,real pillows and shower/bath without a que must be amazing .

..the feel of a real bed ,real pillows and shower/bath without a que must be amazing .

For me its the feel of a "real" towel. After weeks of using one of those "camp" towels, a "real" towel is a "real" treat.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My personal favorites in no particular order (!):
Acacia & Orrietta's - so amazingly peaceful and a home cooked communal dinner
La Casa Magica - wonderful, shaded hammocks and again - home cooked communal dinner
I cam't remember the name, but after O'Cebriero, in a very small village called Fonfria there is an albergue that is very nice and friendly - you can choose to have the pilgrims dinner at a l-o-n-g table in a 'round house' across the street that was my favorite meal, just delicious.

Buen Camino!!!!
I remember this albergue and pilgrims dinner, so good, such great host, a memory forever!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back