• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite accomodation from Le Puy to SJPP?

KerryW

KerryW
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Norte/Prim 2019
We are getting set for our Le Puy to SJPP adventure - including a visit to Rocamadour and the Cele voie route. We're wondering if any recent walkers have recommendations of 'you must stay here' accomodation. Doesn't have to be luxurious ... some of our favourite places on Camino Frances last year were the mats on the floor variety but there was something unique/memorable/heart-warming about the place (Zabaldika/Monastery in Samos etc). thanks!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Uh, many ;-)

Le Puy: Gite Accueil St.Francois

Le Sauvage: Gite Domaine de Sauvage

Aubrac: Tour des Anglais

Estaing: Hospitality Saint Jacques

Le Soulie, 2km before Espeyrac

Concques: the monastery one

These are just a few that come to mind, Bon Chemin, SY

I walked from Le Puy to Santiago in 2014. My favorite accommodations, all in France, were:

· Abbey Church St Foy, Conque. Beautiful setting. After evening prayer service, a priest gave us tour of the church.
· La Cassagnole, a country gite past Figeac. Breakfast with friendly owners featured homemade jams.
· Gite Relais close to Bach. The owner, Michele, was very welcoming.
· Gite de Lestos near Montaq. The beds were in an old converted barn. Playful owners are great cooks.
· Maison Labarge near Lanne Soubiran. Gite in old farm building.
· Boulangerie Brousse in Arthez de Bearn. Gite owned by a bakery.

I have some photos and narrative at http://www.ralphkopp.com/cs14/cs14.htm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took pot luck. As owners can change, what was a good expereince one year may not be so the next.

Maybe I was in luck (it was at the beginning of the season) and mostly had good experiences in either the gite or the town, village, hamlet.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

On the way to Rocamadour, I would suggest Gite Le Perchoir at Rudelle, the host is very nice and he designed and built the outdoor shower,toilet and cooking area which is a nice touch.

We are getting set for our Le Puy to SJPP adventure - including a visit to Rocamadour and the Cele voie route. We're wondering if any recent walkers have recommendations of 'you must stay here' accomodation. Doesn't have to be luxurious ... some of our favourite places on Camino Frances last year were the mats on the floor variety but there was something unique/memorable/heart-warming about the place (Zabaldika/Monastery in Samos etc). thanks!!

Moissac - the pilgrim hostel run by the famous Irish couple, someone will know the name of it, it has just slipped my mind. (And go to the church at 6pm for Vespers, just for the oh-s0-heavenly singing. )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Moissac - the pilgrim hostel run by the famous Irish couple, someone will know the name of it, it has just slipped my mind. (And go to the church at 6pm for Vespers, just for the oh-s0-heavenly singing. )
Gite Ultreia, right across from the train station on the west side of town.

Gite Ultreia, right across from the train station on the west side of town.
Thank you - I didn't think it would take long for someone to supply the name. But never to be forgotten, those hilarious hosts.

Uh, many ;-)

Th
Uh, many ;-)

Thank you so much ... very helpful

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much! Vespers :) ... Looking forward to that already

I walked from Le Puy to Santiago in 2014. My favorite accommodations, all in France, were:

· Abbey Church St Foy, Conque. Beautiful setting. After evening prayer service, a priest gave us tour of the church.
· La Cassagnole, a country gite past Figeac. Breakfast with friendly owners featured homemade jams.
· Gite Relais close to Bach. The owner, Michele, was very welcoming.
· Gite de Lestos near Montaq. The beds were in an old converted barn. Playful owners are great cooks.
· Maison Labarge near Lanne Soubiran. Gite in old farm building.
· Boulangerie Brousse in Arthez de Bearn. Gite owned by a bakery.

I have some photos and narrative at http://www.ralphkopp.com/cs14/cs14.htm
Thank you so much, Ralph. Loved the photos and narrative as well! Have added them to my list!

Il Soullie , 16 km before Conques. A lovely walk from D'Estaing with lunch in Golinhac
Chambers d' Hotes La Fontaine , Espalion , with pool .
Was very welcome recently in 36c, lovely owners , lovely home , magnificent breakfast.
Moissac , as previously mentioned , Rom and Aideen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Il Soullie , 16 km before Conques. A lovely walk from D'Estaing with lunch in Golinhac
Chambers d' Hotes La Fontaine , Espalion , with pool .
Was very welcome recently in 36c, lovely owners , lovely home , magnificent breakfast.
Moissac , as previously mentioned , Rom and Aideen.
Thank you so much, Thornley!

When are you leaving Kerry?
We are home from GR in 4 weeks and have a complete list too big for here.
Cheers,
David

Hello David. We leave on August 28 so your list would be much appreciated on your return. Thank you! Have you booked all/some of your accomodation? We're not quite sure how much of the pilgrimage we should be booking, aware that the 'walk in' of the SJPP to SDC leg isn't as possible for the LP-SJPP pilgrimage Thank you, David

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello David. We leave on August 28 so your list would be much appreciated on your return. Thank you! Have you booked all/some of your accomodation? We're not quite sure how much of the pilgrimage we should be booking, aware that the 'walk in' of the SJPP to SDC leg isn't as possible for the LP-SJPP pilgrimage Thank you, David

Will get in touch when home
I like 2 days in advance after you know the weather for the coming days
Short days early and we really took our time getting to Conques this time and plenty to see in the Cele .
Keep well.

Hi KerryW I start on the 27 Aug and have booked the first 5 days. As with you I don't know if I should book more or how busy, and how much accomodation will actually be available in Sep this year.

Here is a list of my favorite gites. Honestly, in France, it’s hard to go wrong. People I met that were in other gites loved where they stayed as well. My judgment is mostly based on the meals I had, which is a highlight of La Voie du Puy. I kept a daily blog (http://bshea-mywayhome.blogspot.com) with all the places I stayed. I included the menu and prices so you may want to check it out.

Most people only book the night before, unless it is a holiday weekend, where you may want to book a few days more in advance. I have even walked in September without booking, but it makes it harder for the host to plan meals, especially if you have special dietary needs. A big complaint among hosts is the growing number of people who book, then don't show up. Booking far in advance is problematic because you never know what may happen along the way. (Injuries, fatigue, weather, meeting people you want to continue walking with, etc.)

Here's my list:

Le Puy en Velay : Association Grand Séminaire – Accueil St Georges
Monbonnet: La Grange
Saugues : Centre d’accueil La Margeride
Le Sauvage : Domaine du Sauvage
Aumont-Aubrac : Ferme du Barry
St Combe d’Olt : Gite d’Etape Communal del Romiou
Le Soulié : Accueil Chrétien le Soulié de St Jacques
Conques : Abbaye Sainte Foy
Livinhac le Haut : La Vita e Bella
Figeac: Gite du Gua (fantastic vegetarian meal)
Grealou : Ecoasis (stayed here in 2013-it was full this last trip so not in my blog)
Limagne en Quercy : La Maison en Chemin
Cahors : 1. Chez Pierre (no dinner, but felt like luxury to have sheets, a comforter and towels - fresh o.j. and croissants in the a.m.)
2. Papillion Vert (great vegetarian meal)
Lascabannes : Le Bouy
Lauzerte : Les Figuiers (best meal of my life!)
Moissac: Ultreia (Great food, hosts, but bunk beds – rare in France)
Auvillar: Gite d’Etape Communal (no food, but great views)
Larressingle: La Halte de Larressingle
Barcelonne du Gers : Hospitalet du Cosset
Navarrenx : 1. L'Alchimiste (fantastic vegetarian meal)
2. Le Cri de la Girafe
Aroue : La Ferme Bohoteguia
Ostabat: La Ferme Gaineko-Etxea (animated host is quite a character)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A big complaint among hosts is the growing number of people who book, then don't show up. Booking far in advance is problematic because you never know what may happen along the way. (Injuries, fatigue, weather, meeting people you want to continue walking with, etc.)

Hi,

Hosts complain because a growing (and already excessive) number of people book, don't show up and do not call them to cancel their booking. Some no-shows don't even care about their deposit :confused: Hosts have also noted unbelievable waves of unexpected deaths among pilgrims' relatives, when such pilgrims happen to call...

Cancelling because you got injured (I did) will be understood. Calling at noon for the same evening for some futile reason will not. Just a matter of common sense.

Most hosts, in case of early booking, ask pilgrims to reconfirm one or two days before arriving.

Will get in touch when home
I like 2 days in advance after you know the weather for the coming days
Short days early and we really took our time getting to Conques this time and plenty to see in the Cele .
Keep well.
Hi David ... I've been wondering how you went on your adventure! How did you go? We leave in 2 weeks ... We can't wait! Looking forward to hearing back from you :) (ps ... any great places you'd recommend we stop at?)

Hi David ... I've been wondering how you went on your adventure! How did you go? We leave in 2 weeks ... We can't wait! Looking forward to hearing back from you :) (ps ... any great places you'd recommend we stop at?)

Left phone number on your profile page Kerry,
BShea is not far wrong on a few , will follow up but better to ring.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Have walked in cold, rain and 39c plus
These dictated where and how we felt , however the following is where we have stayed regardless when we have repeated,
Montbonnet , La Grange
Saugues, Gite la Ferme [ Itier and Martins, father lives in home above , 92 yrs , famous local identity from War years....lovely kind man and great food ]
La Sauvage , great atmosphere
**St Alban , Pierre & Helene , Gite Les Genets , Room in new section , lovely garden setting above town , beautiful people.
---------------------------------------
Aumont Aubrac , Ferme du Barry , nowhere else in town , brilliant food for lunch.
Nasbinals , Hotel -Cafe De France, Basic double , clean and a very nice host .
[A long section with stops for coffee and drinks]
St Chely d' Aubrac ,
**Chambre d'hotes Cote Boralde , Mr & Mrs Azam , magnificent setting , wonderful room.
[Other places in this town are, Communal Gite and Hotel Voyageurs]
St Come d'Olt Gite Communal del Roumiou , very good , great food or
Les Jardins d'Elaine . Big rooms , great pool but commercial enterprise.
40c , people lined up , opened at 3.01 pm , notice the 1 minute past yet many previously had allowed early arrivals as many had stopped walking. Complete opposite to the last place mentioned in this post.

[Les Gentianes is highly recommended by friends when they need to break this longish section]
-----------------------------
**Espalion Chambe D' Hotes La Fontaine , Great home, lovely pool , best breakfast
We always use the river walk to Estaing , lunch and socks off at Golinhac and then eventually:rolleyes: arrive at
**La Soulie , the nearest accommodation to the old Camino Frances, donation and the best people possible.
20km next day , if its a Sunday Michel will take your bags to Church , enjoy the freedom
You are now in Conques.

Last edited:
I want to share my positive experiences in gîtes between Moissac and SJPP in 2017.

- Moissac : Ultreia, Irish couple chatty and helpfull, delicious meals.
- Espalais: Par'chemin, There was a nice german innkeeper, beaufiful house in the landscape close the village, charm dinner.
- Castet Arrouy:Chez Nat, Nathalie a calm former pilgrim, a quiet village.
- Condom relais st. jacques, Two nice brothers in the center of village,
- Eauze: Lou Paralhou, former pilgrims it is more a "Chambre d'hotes" than gîte but they are a nice and helpful couple in the the old town of Eauze
- Nogaro Au pied leve, The owner is a pleasant farmer although the gite is in the village.
- Aire-sur-l'Adour: La maison des pelerins, one friendly french & spanish couple, former pilgrims,. Cheerful gîte. Nice and delicious shared dinner.
- Arzaq: Gîte comunal, helpfull with nice innkeeper.
- Navarrenx: L'Alchimiste, donativo with shared dinner, nice place in the old town
- Aroue: Ferme Bohoteguia, Nice place in basque country and warm innkeeper

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back