A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Favourite albergues on Primitivo?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Dear fellow pilgrims,
If you have walked the Primitivo, can you please share if there are any albergues that you thought were particulalry special?
Personally, I prefer donativos and communal dinners to private albergues, but am keen to read your answers and take note.
Thank you!

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,

it is difficult to give recommendations. If you like an albergue depends on many things: The people you are staying with, the weather, your mood, the people volunteering as a hospitalero. The best memories are not necessarily related to the nicest and most comfortable albergues. For example I really liked Borres because this is a small and simple albergue and we were sitting together in the sun, talking all afternoon..

If you like communal meals, you might like Bodenaya. San Juan de Villapanada is also nice, because there is nothing else, no WiFi, no bar. So pilgrims have to sit together and talk.

A communal dinner was offered at "A nave de Ferreira", but in my opinion this albergue is a bit to big, to have a good community-feeling. Perhaps cooking together with other pilgrims in the public albergue of As Seixas would have been nicer.

BC
Alexandra

D

Deleted member 12253

You thank your lucky stars for an albergue with a bed hopefully low bunk good shower and not freezing and good menu in village or town. Must be why i loved the primitivo

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
Camino F 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 C Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016 & 17 Primitivo 2018
We enjoyed the pilgrim's accommodation in the basement of the hotel in Tineo. They also do an excellent pilgrims meal for 10 euros. We gave Borres a miss because of negative reports so I am pleased to hear a recommendation for it. Overall there were no places that I would not recommend. They were all good

Thomas1962

Camino(s) past & future
2010: Porto - SdC - Finisterra 2011: E4 on Crete 2012: Le Puy - SJPdP 2013: Camino Madrid -> Del Salvador -> Primitivo 2014: European Peace Walk. 2015: Amsterdam - SdC & Barcelona -Burgos. 2016:Norte & hospitalero
Well, I first must say that I'm not neutral any more since my wife Ria and me took over albergue Ponte Ferreira since this month. :)

We have a communal meal too which is all vegetarian and have 22 beds in two dormitories in a beautiful renovated old farmhouse. We are still building our website, but what we have you can see at ponteferreira.com.

Ofcourse Bodenaya is famous for his beautiful hospitality. The municipal in Grado is quite new and nice too with a good kitchen to use, close to the centre of the village. And just after Grado is San Juan de Villapenada with the unbeatable hospitalero Domingo and the amazing view.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
We enjoyed the pilgrim's accommodation in the basement of the hotel in Tineo. They also do an excellent pilgrims meal for 10 euros. We gave Borres a miss because of negative reports so I am pleased to hear a recommendation for it. Overall there were no places that I would not recommend. They were all good
Echo the new albergue in the lower floor of the great Tineo hotel.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
Well, I first must say that I'm not neutral any more since my wife Ria and me took over albergue Ponte Ferreira since this month. :)

We have a communal meal too which is all vegetarian and have 22 beds in two dormitories in a beautiful renovated old farmhouse. We are still building our website, but what we have you can see at ponteferreira.com.

Ofcourse Bodenaya is famous for his beautiful hospitality. The municipal in Grado is quite new and nice too with a good kitchen to use, close to the centre of the village. And just after Grado is San Juan de Villapenada with the unbeatable hospitalero Domingo and the amazing view.
Echo the municipal in Grado.

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: See post signature.
Upcoming: Nothing planned
In my stages desctription 2014 I wrote: Day 4, La Mesa-A Fonsagrada, 41,76 km, stayed at albergue Cantábrico (Recommended)

I do remember that I was welcomed with ice tea and a chair to put up me feet at. The albergue was clean, and a great kitchen and other facilities and a lot of electrical outlets. But it wasn't one of those cozy albergues in an old house I normally like. I paied a short visit for tea at Ponte Ferreira and got a tour of the albergue, and if I ever walk Primitivo again I'll stop there.

And it is always nice to stay in a monasterio, so I stopped in Cornellana.

We enjoyed the pilgrim's accommodation in the basement of the hotel in Tineo. They also do an excellent pilgrims meal for 10 euros.
The upstairs rooms at the hotel in Tineo are large and well worth the 45€ or so - particularly I was able to give my very muddy trail shoes and socks a good shower and then dry them with the hair dryer in the morning

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Thank you ever so much, pilgrims! I have taken good notes of all your favourites. Please keep them coming if anyone has anything else to add :)

Ender (author of guidebook on Salvador) has told me that the new private albergue in La Mesa is very nice. https://www.gronze.com/asturias/mesa/albergue-miguelin

I know most people, at least those who walk Hospitales, stop at Berducedo, but this might be worth the extra little oomph it takes to go beyond to La Mesa.

I agree that the albergue in the hotel in Tineo is quite deluxe -- but not in a great place for those who want to want to stay in Bodenaya (it´s very close) or walk Hospitales, unless you want to do a very short day to Campiello. Choices, choices.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%