• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Favourite albergues on the Salvador?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Dear fellow pilgrims,
I understand that this question may have its limitations. From my research there seems to be a relatively limited numbers of albergue options on the Salvador (compared to the Frances for example), so maybe it won't come to choosing but to convenience and timing, as it often is. However, if you have walked the Salvador, what were your top 3 favourite albergues?
Personally, I prefer donativos and communal dinners to private albergues, but am keen to read your answers and take note.
Thank you!

Advertisment

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,

there is not that variety of albergues on the Salvador as you know it from the French way. There is one albergue in one town and the next is 15 to 20 km further on. So the choice is made by the distances you can walk.

Besides this: If you like an albergue depends more on the people you are staying with, the hospitalero volounteering at that moment, your personal mood on that very day etc.

BC
Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi,

there is not that variety of albergues on the Salvador as you know it from the French way. There is one albergue in one town and the next is 15 to 20 km further on. So the choice is made by the distances you can walk.

Besides this: If you like an albergue depends more on the people you are staying with, the hospitalero volounteering at that moment, your personal mood on that very day etc.

BC
Alexandra
So you don't have any *personal* favourites on the Salvador? :)

Advertisment

There are some very nice albergues on the Salvador. Sandra’s place in Bendueños tops my list, and Pajares is a close second. Problem is that they are only about 12 km apart, so it is hard to stay at them both on the same Camino. But repeating the Salvador is a punishment we all should wish for.

If you stay in Poladura, it's about 32 km to Bendueños, because you will not go into the village of Pajares -- so you save a few km. That is probably my favorite day on any camino, a pefect mix of spectacular mountains, beautiful green valleys, and pretty little villages.

Camino(s) past & future
The Camino Frances 2005
The Portugese Camino 2014
The Camino Ingles Easter 2015
The Camino Ingles April 2016
The Camino del Norte/The Primitivo 2016
Sandra's albergue in Benduenos is the best! Do not forget to call her to let her know you are coming. She cooks dinner and will need to know, how many to cook for.
Buen camino to you!

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), Primitivo(13), Norte(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18)
Dear fellow pilgrims,
I understand that this question may have its limitations. From my research there seems to be a relatively limited numbers of albergue options on the Salvador (compared to the Frances for example), so maybe it won't come to choosing but to convenience and timing, as it often is. However, if you have walked the Salvador, what were your top 3 favourite albergues?
Personally, I prefer donativos and communal dinners to private albergues, but am keen to read your answers and take note.
Thank you!

My favorite was in Cabanillas. A small village about 17 km's from Leon. There is no food service ( no bar or tienda ) there so bring your own dinner. That said, the towns people were lovely. A man came out of his house when I arrived and gave me a cold beer. The Albergue is pristine. Later a woman from the village came by and brought me to her house for dinner. She would not accept anything and made me take back the money I left behind. I can not guarantee you will have the same experience.

Pajares is also a very nice Albergue.

Ultreya,
Joe

amancio

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Aragon, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno
My favourite is actually a casa rural, El Embrujo, in Poladura, lovely place (Bendueños did not exist yet when I walked this camino 6 years ago). La Robla is nice too, Pola de Lena is perfectly functional and central, Pajares and their hospitalera Marisa are lovely... not a complain at all!

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte (July 2016)
De San Salvador (August 2017)
Bendueños! Not only my favourite place to stay on any of the caminos I've done thus far, but also one my most memorable stays out of all my travels. Cannott recommend it enough :)

dd581

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sep./Oct. - Camino del Norte (- Avilés) - Oviedo - Camino del Salvador (reverse) - Camino Francés (León - SdC) - Camino Inglés - SdC - Múxia - Finisterre
2017 Apr. Camino Portugues (Porto - SdC)
Yes, totally Bendueños (last year, 2017)! Pajares (2016) is nice too, but as mentioned above, it's probably to close to visit both.
Mieres (2016) and La Robla (2016) were nothing special and in Buiza (2017) I had a night on my own and it was quite similar to the last two.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
alaskadiver Camino del Salvador 19

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%