• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite Albergues on VdlP

Time of past OR future Camino
So many since 2003.
I’m in the throes of last minute organising for the VdlP (leaving Sevilla around the 7th Sept) and unfortunately thwarted a little due to having to work away from home. This site is my saviour!

I’m interested in any recent reports of lovely (whatever that means to you) albergues people have enjoyed along this route. I have Jirit’s list but in some towns there are a few choices.
Many thanks for sharing, Grace

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I walk in late autumn/winter, the albergues I stay in are almost always empty, so my experience may be very different from somebody who finds every bed full, especially in the smaller albergues. These albergues, in no particular order, stick in my memory (for good reasons):

Albergues municipal/turistico: Aldeanueva del Camino, Grimaldo, Fuente de Cantos, Guillena, Mombuey, Tábara, Morille. Next time I'm in Carcaboso l'll probably stay in the albergue turistico, rather than Señora Elena's private albergue (which was fine, but the turistico looked even nicer). Manuela's at La Calzada de Béjar was another nice private one, but there's nowhere to eat in the village, so remember to carry food (l didn't) - oh, and also remember (l didn't) to use the cash point in Baños de Montemayor, it's the last one before Salamanca.

All the Galician xunta albergues I've stayed in were good (Vila de Barrio, Ourense, Cea, Lalín, Ponteulla), although the blasted movement-sensitive lighting system at Lalín means you have to jump up and down every 2 minutes if you want to read a book.

Religious albergues: Fuenterroble, Alcuéscar, Oseira. If you stay in Alcuéscar, do try to get to the serene visigothic church of Santa Lucía del Trampal (a bit under an hour's walk out of town), and at Oseira vespers with the last surviving trappist monks is unforgettable.

Wherever you stay, you'll have a wonderful time seeing amazing places and going through fabulous countryside meeting delightful people. Buen camino, wish it was me going in September but my sheep keep me busy then.

Last edited:
Hi Alan, Thanks so much for the update. I remember Manuela’s but I think she made meals when I walked last. It’s been 6 years since I walked this route and many things have changed I’m sure. I’ve read varying reports on the monastery at Oseira (can be difficult to stay and also very cold). I’ll try to make it if I can.
I hope you have your next camino pencilled in your diary - always great to have one to look forward to. Cheers and thanks Grace

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve read varying reports on the monastery at Oseira (can be difficult to stay and also very cold)

I had no trouble staying there last year. The delightful Fray Luis (a gifted artist) was in the shop and took my €6 and stamped my credencial. If the shop is closed, the albergue is always open: it's a large lovely old tithe barn just by the monastery, with a box for donations, and loads of blankets, so in mid December I was perfectly snug even without a sleeping bag.

When I went to vespers a monk with a torch took me along about half a mile of echoing dark corridors and staircases - all very Gormenghast - round two large courtyards, with a brief pause to have a look at the rooms Graham Greene used to stay in and write novels looking out over the Galician highlands.

Hi,
Wish I were you. I stayed in several albergues along the VdlP and the following stands out:
Requiejo - Casa Cervino - Modern and good amenities with a restaurant just nextdoor; Alcuescar - Monasterio Los Esclavos de Maria y los Pobres - Although some rooms are cold it is a great experience; Faramontanos de Tera - Ask for the key at the Cafe as you enter and they take you to the Community hall, I was lucky the night I stayed there the local choir was practising in the hall; A Laxe - Albergue is modern with good facilities; Villar de Barrio - Very clean and modern with helpful Hospederija from Honduras; Albergueria - Old style but by far the most interesting place to stay along the Vdlp. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I particularly liked Las Moreras in Monesterio, hostal Rodríguez in Calzadilla de los Barros, Monasterio San Francisco in Zafra, Alcuéscar, Embalse de Alcántara, Calzada de Béjar, Fuenterroble and above all Morille, which is a magical town

Hi Grace,

I walked the Via de La Plata in March / April. I enjoyed the municipal albergue in Tabara, taken over this year by the wonderful Jose and Josefina who gave me a true pilgrim welcome and dinner. And Josefina gathers the dirty clothes and washed them in the machine.

I live in Wellington, so happy to have a chat about the Camino if you like. Or meet if you are in town? Email me - cross6011 (at) gmail.com.

Christine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[QUOTE="Nicprinsloo, post: 231669, member: 12954”]...Albergueria - Old style but by far the most interesting place to stay along the Vdlp. Buen Camino![/QUOTE]
Hi Nic,
Last time I was in Albergueria, the guy from the bar was part way through completing the Albergue. It will be great to stay here this time if it works out. I am planning on walking the Portuguese variant from Zamora to Verin so it depents which route I take from there.
Many thanks for the references. Grace

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back