• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite Albergues?

Eibhlís

Time of past OR future Camino
2000 I walked 300km of the Camino Frances.
2020 I plan to walk the whole 800km.
Hi everyone,
I'm going to do the Camino Frances in June/July (busy season I know but unfortunately I don't have a choice for various reasons). I'd love to hear from people what their favourite albergues were along the route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,
I'm going to do the Camino Frances in June/July (busy season I know but unfortunately I don't have a choice for various reasons). I'd love to hear from people what their favourite albergues were along the route.

This is a decent resource to use and start with. Clearly it can be subjective but I used this list of albergues loosely on the Frances and did stay at some and was never disappointed. I guess there is typically a valid and good reason they made it on the list.

Hi everyone,
You might be surprised to find out that by walking in June/July you will be avoiding the crowds that start from St Jean Pied de Port in May and September. The Camino should be a bit quieter, at least until you reach Sarria, and the 100Km pilgrims join in.
My favorite albergue would be La Finca, in Población de Campos. Each "bunk" is like a tiny room, and the upper beds are accessed via mini staircases.
It's only 10 euros, and they let you use the washing machine for free.
The restaurant also serves a good pilgrim dinner.

albergue-la-finca-6.jpgalbergue-la-finca-5.jpg

Hi everyone,
I liked the Municpal in Burgos near the cathedral , good bar opposite the front door also San Javier in Astorga but it is pot luck . Your impressions get shaped in places by the people you meet and what’s good to one is terrible to another . If I was you I would not over plan . Just take things as they come and you will have a great Camino .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I liked the Municpal in Burgos near the cathedral , good bar opposite the front door also San Javier in Astorga but it is pot luck . Your impressions get shaped in places by the people you meet and what’s good to one is terrible to another . If I was you I would not over plan . Just take things as they come and you will have a great Camino .
I'm going to try to go with the for which is difficult for me. But I would still like to have a list of recommended albergues should I be lucky enough to have a choice on any given night.

I'm going to try to go with the for which is difficult for me. But I would still like to have a list of recommended albergues should I be lucky enough to have a choice on any given night.
Go with the flow*

I like to have such a list too. It doesn't always work out, but I think that it's a good idea to have an idea of what your options are.
Put your list in "Camino order" - the order in which you will walk through the towns. Then when you arrive somewhere, or the night before you can check your list to see if one of the "favorites" is nearby.

I like to have such a list too. It doesn't always work out, but I think that it's a good idea to have an idea of what your options are.
Put your list in "Camino order" - the order in which you will walk through the towns. Then when you arrive somewhere, or the night before you can check your list to see if one of the "favorites" is nearby.
That's exactly my thought :)

Hi everyone,

There is a thread with the alberques that some of the fellow pilgrims prefer:

Try those first.
Mine are the Albergue in Grañon and S. Miguel in Hôspital de l'Orbigo.
There are very nice Albergues around. Some of my camino-family stayed in San Nicolàs de Puente Fitéro and were amazed. The same for the Albergue verde in Hôspital de l'Orbigo.

You can look at my google-maps, I marked the best rated Albergues (rating-mix of this and a german forum and some other POIs):

Have fun!

English confraternity albergue at Granon will always have special memories for me if for no other reason then the warmest welcome by the Hospitalleros the cup of english tea , the communal meal, the prayers at the wonderful church , the worst hangover ive ever had after sitting long around the dinner table drinking wine and discussing life with pilgrims from all over the world.
A very special place.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forgot to add a recent discovery. Trinidad de Arre just outside Pamplona wonderful place often overlooked in the haste to get into Pamplona and this years favourite

After 4 visits to the Camino Frances since 2016, my three stand-outs are 'Casa Susi' in Trabadelo (especially for Australian pilgrims), 'La Finca' as mentioned above, and 'Pequena Potala' in Ruitelan. With a special mention to the amazing shower facilities at 'Albergue@ Muxia' in Muxia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone,
Albergue Verde in Hospital De Orbega. Plus the best ever on the Primativo wa Albergue Bodeneo.
The fave in Santiago is Roots and Boots.

Hi everyone,

Attachments

• 20190710_204236.jpg
    20190710_204236.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 11
English confraternity albergue at Granon will always have special memories for me if for no other reason then the warmest welcome by the Hospitalleros the cup of english tea , the communal meal, the prayers at the wonderful church , the worst hangover ive ever had after sitting long around the dinner table drinking wine and discussing life with pilgrims from all over the world.
A very special place.

Grañón does not have an English confraternity albergue, if you mean the one in/at the church that one belongs to the parish.
Or do you mean the one in Rabanal del Camino? That one is the only one maintained by the English confraternity on the Camino Francés.

BC SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You might be surprised to find out that by walking in June/July you will be avoiding the crowds that start from St Jean Pied de Port in May and September. The Camino should be a bit quieter, at least until you reach Sarria, and the 100Km pilgrims join in.
My favorite albergue would be La Finca, in Población de Campos. Each "bunk" is like a tiny room, and the upper beds are accessed via mini staircases.
It's only 10 euros, and they let you use the washing machine for free.
The restaurant also serves a good pilgrim dinner.

View attachment 67127View attachment 67128
Gosh! That looks great!

Like trecile and domigee, I’m a June-July pilgrim. The weather then is usually good - sure, it does get hot but you’ll avoid the worst heat of the day if you finish your day’s walking by 2pm.

If you like to go for a swim, my tip is to bring a cozzie with you to the Camino. There are quite a few albergues on The Way that have swimming pools and to have an afternoon swim is fantastic. A swimming pool is a Big Plus for me in choosing an albergue. It’s so refreshing and your feet and legs particularly will thank you.

On the Forum you might be able to find a thread listing all the albergues on the Frances that have pools - here are some where I enjoyed a swim earlier this year.

Albergue Ultreia at Castrojeriz - small pool similar to a spa pool (see photo)
En El Camino at Boadilla
Albergue Los Peregrinos at El Acebo - olympic-sized pool - it’s like a resort here!
Casa Susi at Trabadelo - completely wonderful - take a swim in the river at the bottom of the albergue garden

All these albergues are on my favourites list.

Also on the list is San Anton Abad at Villafranca Montes de Oca and Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal.

Here’s the spa pool at Albergue Ultreia, Castrojeriz -

28341C3F-64E9-441D-8BBD-33F410374EF7.jpeg

Buen Camino Eibhlis - take joy in every step -

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Grañón does not have an English confraternity albergue, if you mean the one in/at the church that one belongs to the parish.
Or do you mean the one in Rabanal del Camino? That one is the only one maintained by the English confraternity on the Camino Francés.

BC SY
Your right i did say i got very drunk ! it was Rabanal apologies

Like trecile and domigee, I’m a June-July pilgrim. The weather then is usually good - sure, it does get hot but you’ll avoid the worst heat of the day if you finish your day’s walking by 2pm.

If you like to go for a swim, my tip is to bring a cozzie with you to the Camino. There are quite a few albergues on The Way that have swimming pools and to have an afternoon swim is fantastic. A swimming pool is a Big Plus for me in choosing an albergue. It’s so refreshing and your feet and legs particularly will thank you.

On the Forum you might be able to find a thread listing all the albergues on the Frances that have pools - here are some where I enjoyed a swim earlier this year.

En El Camino at Boadilla
Albergue Los Peregrinos at El Acebo - olympic-sized pool - it’s like a resort here!
Casa Susi at Trabadelo - completely wonderful - take a swim in the river at the bottom of the albergue garden

Also on the list is San Anton Abad at Villafranca Montes de Oca and Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal.

View attachment 67156

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Also municipal pools at Cizur Menor and Redecillas - free entry if you stay at albergue - and Hontanas, at end of village.
Also swimming pool in albergue in Puente la Reina (after the bridge).

Last edited:
This never stays the same. The first time I stayed at Larrasoana about 15 or 16 years ago, I loved it. A few years later I stopped there again and even though it was the same albergue, everything was absolutely awful.

However, my absolute favourite in the height of summer, if the weather is clear, is the albergue of the last of the Knights Templars, Manjarin. That communal dinner by candle is amazing and I love getting up for an hour at around 1 am to go outside and lie on the road, in a place unaffected by light pollution, wait for the dogs to calm down again, and gaze up at that absolutely amazing sky.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also municipal pools at Cizur Menor and Redecillas - free entry if you stay at albergue - and Hontanas, at end of village.
Also swimming pool in albergue in Puente la Reina (after the bridge).
I hadn't even though about packing a swimsuit!

If you like to go for a swim, my tip is to bring a cozzie with you to the Camino.
I was pretty sure I knew what it was, but I had to look up "cozzie". 😊

I always bring a black bikini bottom I can wear to swim in with one of my black bras that I bring.

En El Camino at Boadilla

View attachment 67156

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
I hadn't thought about packing a swimsuit! Thank you for that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,
The albergue in Los Arcos where I stayed in September said no pilgrims at all in July and August. Best albergue in Hospital de Orbigos was Alb Verde.

I haven’t been on the Francés in many years for more than a few days making connections from one camino to another, but I know that two long-time forum members now have albergues on the Francés, and both of them are not on the guide book end stages. So that’s where I would head! Springtime openings for both.

In Cirauqui, @juanma’s place — https://www.alberguecirauqui.com/ (between Puente la Reina and Estella)

In Villares de Órbigo, @LTfit’s place — http://alberguevillaresdeorbigo.es/en/ (between León and Astorga)

The albergue in Los Arcos where I stayed in September said no pilgrims at all in July and August. Best albergue in Hospital de Orbigos was Alb Verde.
I stayed in La Casa Austria source in July. The Albergue was well booked. Which Albergue in Los Arcos do you mean? On the evening on the main place in Los Arcos there were many more pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.