• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite apps/phone numbers for the Camino (Frances)

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Its time to start downloading apps and typing in the safety contact details - would love to hear what worked for you (especially for a winter camino),

thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use both the Buen Camino app Wisely apps. Both have their pluses, but I tend to rely more on the Buen Camino app.

I agree with Trecile. I have them both and check them both out for places to sleep. The other app I would recommend highly is AlertCops. If you have problems, injuries along the way or are in trouble the app will put you in touch with an English speaking policeman/woman and locates your position if they need to get to you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apps - Maps.me A free GPS mapping app that doesn't use cell data so you can use it offline. GPS files can imported into the app. You can find the files here:

Strava - Free app for recording your activity. I used it to record my daily walk and it gave me distance, elevation and calories as well as GPS data. I added a few photos and used it as an online diary to remember bits of my Camino.

Website - Gronze. Bookmark it in Chrome and it will translate to English. Valuable information.

I recommend WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Lot's of Europeans use WhatsApp and it's a great way to coordinate when you're on the Way. FB Messenger worked great for communicating with folks back in the States (if that's where you're from).

I used the Wise Pilgrim app for the CF and found it awesome. Not as good for the Camino Ingles IMHO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will start my caminho potugues on the 16th of Oct/2019 from Porto. is it not well marked that an app is a must??

jabin, yes, it is well marked. However, we will be walking in winter (Dec/Jan) and want to be able to make sure we are heading in the right direction if/when the arrows are covered in snow. We encountered several days of snow last time however there was more traffic on the path so we were able to follow the walkers (footsteps) ahead of us. This time we wont be so lucky!

I was also after something for safety - It56ny's recommendation for AlercCops fits the bill and I am grateful for the knowledge from Geodoc that WhatsApp is a good way to communicate in Europe.

We dont want to wander off the path and risk needing to be rescued. Be prepared!!

I hope you have a wonderful work - not long to go now. Buen Camino.

I will start my caminho potugues on the 16th of Oct/2019 from Porto. is it not well marked that an app is a must??
For me, my desire to take apps is not necessarily an indication that a route is poorly marked. On the one hand, routes may be well marked but a moment's inattention can result in missing the sign for a turn. This happened a few times for us on the well-marked Camino Frances and once on the Camino Portugues. Having an app can help bring you back to the Camino. But apps are not only useful for lost pilgrims. They can provide a lot of other useful information. And when I am considering the total cost of a Camino, the extra tiny bit for an app that can make for a better experience hardly seems like much.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Póster Just received

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.