• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite Francés albergue - quick vote!

What's your favourite CF albergue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
So how about a little populist fun, not to be taken too seriously... a straw poll of everyone's one single favourite Camino Frances albergue.

I've put a few obvious options in to get us started. Hopefully it's possible to add other options. If not, then comment :)

Edit: seems you can't add you own options. That's a shame :(
Make a suggestion in the comments and add a LIKE to vote for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmm... is Casa Verde actually an albergue or just a watering hole? I thought of it cause it was on that BBC show ^^. Now I'm thinking ... wait, it wasn't actually an albergue 🤣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ranking, based on 17,355 instances of feedback to the Gronze recommendation system during 2018:

Camino Francés:
.- Albergue de la Cofradía del Santo, Santo Domingo de la Calzada
2.- Albergue eclesial Espíritu Santo, Carrión de los Condes
3.- Albergue Seminario Menor, Santiago de Compostela
4.- Albergue Alea, Ponferrada
5.- Albergue de la fundación ANFAS, Estella
6.- Albergue Alfonso II El Casto, Melide
7.- Albergue parroquial Santa María, Carrión de los Condes
8.- Albergue Leo, Villafranca del Bierzo
9.- Albergue Gaia, Mansilla de las Mulas
10.- Albergue Edreira, O Pedrouzo (O Pino)
11.- Albergue San Miguel, Hospital de Órbigo
12.- Albergue parroquial Casa Rectoral, Bercianos del Real Camino

I wonder if people here agree. (I see a couple of anomalies in Gronze's VDLP rankings).

It’s such a toss up between two on the list... since I could only pick one leaves me feeling torn...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
La Finca in Población de Campos.

But from the list I'd say Casa Mágica or Orisson.

Yep, La Finca should be on the list.

I voted St Anton, but it was a tough call, there are some great albergues there! But St Anton just beat Granon for me.

There is one or two I have not stayed in yet. I'll have to go back and try them out!

Davey

Too many to make a fair choice. The Parroquial or donativeo Albergues of Viana , Logrono , Granon , San Anton , Tosantos and Bercianos will always rank tops with me. Then what about the great facilities at the Azofra Municipal and Santo Domingo or the Quaint hospitable Acacia y Oretta , the mystic San Bol and Tomas's mountain top refugio. Just too many great albergues to choose from.
edit: Oops , lets not forget Boadilla En el Camino

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ranking, based on 17,355 instances of feedback to the Gronze recommendation system during 2018:

Camino Francés:

I wonder if people here agree. (I see a couple of anomalies in Gronze's VDLP rankings).

I find these slightly curious ratings. Judging from the type of albergues the top five are, it seems these are being ranked on facilities a lot more than "camino magic"!

Too many to make a fair choice. The Parroquial or donativeo Albergues of Viana , Logrono , Granon , San Anton , Tosantos and Bercianos will always rank tops with me. Then what about the great facilities at the Azofra Municipal and Santo Domingo or the Quaint hospitable Acacia y Oretta , the mystic San Bol and Tomas's mountain top refugio. Just too many great albergues to choose from.
edit: Oops , lets not forget Boadilla En el Camino
Yes, exactly. Far too many to narrow it down to just these few. It's my first poll and just for fun. I was hoping it would work like the facebook ones, where if your answer isn't on the list, you can add it on for others to vote for.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So how about a little populist fun, not to be taken too seriously... a straw poll of everyone's one single favourite Camino Frances albergue.

I've put a few obvious options in to get us started. Hopefully it's possible to add other options. If not, then comment :)

Albergue Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz

Albergue Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jeepers!! Okay , as an absolute push .............you are wicked you know? Tomas and his Refugio on the mountain - no toilets no showers , bean stew , red wine , one hour of generator electricity. Snow . 4 blankets(no Bugs)
, coffee and biscuits for breaky. 2003:) right , that is my choice , I picked one.

Also # 2 Albergue in Villava, they have taken care of me and my torn tendons Left ankle for 4 days running. Would be my #1 but the sisters prayed for me to find my way, then I fell down their mountain, I will not ask why!

Years ago the Hospitalero in Tosantos took me to the clinic in Belarado , I had a chest infection - I had been coughing since Pamplona also at Estella during the same time before , The Hospitaleroes allowed me to stay an extra night and fed me a paella for lunch - we remember these things ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It’s such a toss up between two on the list... since I could only pick one leaves me feeling torn...
This is most of us, from the sound of it.
So pleaaaasssse, @H Richards...can you change the poll so we can vote for two?
For me it's a toss-up: Zabaldika and Granon. I've never gotten to stay at San Anton or San Nicholas or Tosantos, but they sound really special, too.
Much of the comparison is between dissimilar albergues, though...old-style and special donativos are in there, as are commercial private places. It's like comparing bread to carrots. Both are good, but really different.

Edit...and...what bubbles up after posting that: what about the Co-fraternity albergue in Rabinal, the one also in La Faba, and San Nicholas in Ponferrada?

Last edited:
This is most of us, from the sound of it.
So pleaaaasssse, @H Richards...can you change the poll so we can vote for two?
For me it's a toss-up: Zabaldika and Granon. I've never gotten to stay at San Anton or San Nicholas or Tosantos, but they sound really special, too.
Much of the comparison is between dissimilar albergues, though...old-style and special donativos are in there, as are commercial private places. It's like comparing bread to carrots. Both are good, but really different.
Sure, done. God only knows what it will do the fairness of the stats though ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find these slightly curious ratings. Judging from the type of albergues the top five are, it seems these are being ranked on facilities a lot more than "camino magic"!
The Gronze site only allows people to give a thumbs up or thumbs down rating of each albergue. You could be right that the scores correlate with albergues that have better facilities. We could also question whether the feedback collection method has some inherent bias (e.g. it doesn't capture as much feedback from old-school pilgrims who don't book ahead or select accommodations on the internet). So ... like all customer feedback, it's flawed but interesting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Gronze site only allows people to give a thumbs up or thumbs down rating of each albergue. You could be right that the scores correlate with albergues that have better facilities. We could also question whether the feedback collection method has some inherent bias (e.g. it doesn't capture as much feedback from old-school pilgrims who don't book ahead or select accommodations on the internet). So ... like all customer feedback, it's flawed but interesting.
I walk to the next Albergue, knock stay or move on. No prebooked for me. When I found Huerta closed a local walked me through town to a way to Villava-Atarrabia. The connection was espiritul!

Albergue San Bol. It was the most isolated part of my Camino experience. Only 12 beds and in the middle of nowhere. The hospitalera served us a wonderful pallea. While I didn’t stay at Zalbadika, I did visit the church and that was another highlight. I was the only visitor in the church and had a beautiful conversation with Dona Carmen, a nun who greeted visitors. She told me of her years working in Africa and I shared with her my years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala.

Camino Francés:

No. 8 - Albergue Leo - Villafranca del Bierzo. It's the standout in my humble opinion 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The only one on the list I disagree with is Orrison. It is good for where it is. It is very expensive, but hey, it is in France so ok. The dinner and atmosphere are great.

BUT those shower tokens? Not once have I had a shower with anything resembling warm water. And I actually paid for a token each time. It was not just me either.

That cuts it off from my top list - even though my No.1 fave St Anton has cold showers often, at least they are honest about it!

I see Granon is currently top, not surprised!

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albergue San Bol. It was the most isolated part of my Camino experience. Only 12 beds and in the middle of nowhere. The hospitalera served us a wonderful pallea. While I didn’t stay at Zalbadika, I did visit the church and that was another highlight. I was the only visitor in the church and had a beautiful conversation with Dona Carmen, a nun who greeted visitors. She told me of her years working in Africa and I shared with her my years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala.
Heard very good things about San Bol yesterday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wish
Too late for the survey, but my favorite is the Albergue de la Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo ... http://alberguedelapiedra.com/ . I have stayed there on 2 separate Camino Frances journeys. It is a very special Albergue, run by a wonderful couple.
[/QUOTE
Too late for the survey, but my favorite is the Albergue de la Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo ... http://alberguedelapiedra.com/ . I have stayed there on 2 separate Camino Frances journeys. It is a very special Albergue, run by a wonderful couple.
Wish I had stayed there night before last. They only had the single with shared bath available so I opted for San Nicolás instead. What a mistake.

The only one on the list I disagree with is Orrison. It is good for where it is. It is very expensive, but hey, it is in France so ok. The dinner and atmosphere are great.

BUT those shower tokens? Not once have I had a shower with anything resembling warm water. And I actually paid for a token each time. It was not just me either.

Hmmm, interesting. I had a hot shower and the “tokens” lasted long enough to wash myself AND my clothes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't understand why the shower at Orisson is difficult. You get wet, the water turns off. You lather up, turn the water back on and rinse off. Not a problem at all and the water was hot.
Did not care for the lack of toilet seats here, so that is my only complaint about Orisson. The view here makes up for anything negative though.

You can stay at Eunate? I thought there's just a church there.
The albergue closed about 9 years ago sadly. It was unique. The hospitaleros stayed for a year at a time, so it was both an albergue and a private family home. It's off the main track and so on the evening it's just you (about 12 guests - I don't think there were beds, just mattresses on the floor) and the couple. It was beyond wonderful. After supper we went to the church (which the hospitaleros used to look after) in the dark for night prayer. Still a stand out memory. 😁😢

Hmm... is Casa Verde actually an albergue or just a watering hole? I thought of it cause it was on that BBC show ^^. Now I'm thinking ... wait, it wasn't actually an albergue 🤣
Albergue Verde is a real albergue. Lovely garden, fab vegetarian meal and lovely hosts.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back