• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite Shirt?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I'm thinking of taking a shirt this year instead of a t-shirt. As I'm taller than average (176cm) I'm interested in knowing how long the ladies shirts feel... would I be better in a man's shirt for the length?

Also... do you have a favourite brand? Tried and Tested... that you can recommend?

I like the Columbia Tamiami but I can only see it on US sites not UK or French sites? I also like the look of the Craghoppers Nosilife... (I haven't found any reviews for their new shirt) and as I'd have to order online, I'm just wondering about sizing?

Are there any others you'd recommend? Or do you have either of these shirts?

Many thanks in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore mine each evening for about 5 weeks without thinking I needed to wash it. :eek:

Wow... they must be good!

I'm just thinking of the length really. Do I go girls or boys? I like the idea of walking in a long sleeve shirt... so perhaps I'd need to wash it more frequently :D If a woman's shirt is cut too short it tends to be too short all over (arm, body, bust and length). Any ladies out there have a favourite?

I took a long sleeve Columbia Tamiami II on my camino and it worked our very well for me. On hot days wore it alone and on cold days with a wool t-shirt underneath. I'm 5 cm shorter than you and had a womens 2x size shirt. It fit me fine and seemed generous in width and length. I really like the fabric used in the Tamiami as it doesn't feel like you are wearing a plastic bag, it breathes well. I think you could measure shirts that you own to determine the correct length then check directly with Columbia. They don't have length measurements in their sizing information on their website. I know that they also have tall sizes in the mens Tamiami shirts but not in womens. I see Columbia has a french website. I've ordered my Tamiami from either Sierra Trading Post or Amazon in the US.

I just measure four of my Tamiami II shirts. I wear a womens 2x and they all measured 70-71 cm (27.5-28 inches) from the top of the shoulder adjacent to the collar to the bottom of the shirt.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used to walk in Craghoppers Darla shirts, sun protection and mozzie repellent built in. I am your height and find them a good fit in the back and sleeves. Last year I walked with another woman who also swore by them. Can't remember them getting smelly with washing every day and they dry quickly. Some of their latest shirts feel very seventies polyester, but the Darla is more like a normal cotton shirt. I still have some I use if the sun is too strong.

@LesBrass : (update) I have just looked for a Darla on their website and they seem to only sell the NosiLife Adventure shirt now, but it's practically identical to the Darla apart from two breast pockets and one tiny one on the sleeve. A lot more expensive than the Darlas though, but they do have some on their Outlet page, or try Ebay or Amazon ...

Last edited:
I'm thinking of taking a shirt this year instead of a t-shirt. As I'm taller than average (176cm) I'm interested in knowing how long the ladies shirts feel... would I be better in a man's shirt for the length?

Also... do you have a favourite brand? Tried and Tested... that you can recommend?

I like the Columbia Tamiami but I can only see it on US sites not UK or French sites? I also like the look of the Craghoppers Nosilife... (I haven't found any reviews for their new shirt) and as I'd have to order online, I'm just wondering about sizing?

Many thanks in advance.

Can only comment on Men's shirts.

I found shirts the hardest thing to pick!

I walk hot, so get a bit sweaty. Don't like to feel damp and clammy all the time :(

I've tried them all! Well not literally of course, but a lot :oops:

I ended up with these two.

Icebreaker Merino. I've got 4 different types and sizes. Great for winter I reckon, but they are really hot.... Even the lightest ones. (120-150 weight) I tend to wear them under another shirt for a bit of warmth in the evenings. Lots of people like them, so maybe try one. The heavier ones 200+ are a bit like wearing a 'hair shirt'. Ideal as a Pilgrim I guess ;)

Kathmandu Nylon Tech Shirt. Very light. Not ideal, but I wear them big and they are very lightweight. So they don't feel too bad. I still sweat a lot in it but this is my preferred shirt.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. I also take a Kmart business shirt. It's a nylon cotton mix, very light, dries super fast,,,, They have a check pattern so don't actually 'look' very formal...

Many thanks in advance.
I'm about 2 cm shorter than you, and I've tried on the Columbia shirt and it was plenty long. It was very comfortable and I liked that it snapped rather than buttoned. I haven't purchased yet, because I'm not sure what color I want.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Many thanks in advance.

@LesBrass:
I walk the camino and backpack in a long-sleeved ex officio shirt, women's size XL. It has lots of pockets and long ventilated slits on each side under the arms. I usually wear it open, with a short-sleeved merino wool light weight t shirt underneath. It is 55% cotton, 45% polyester - cool and comfortable, fairly quick drying, and the sleeves do not allow sun through to burn my arms. I am not tall, but with fairly long arms, and the shirt sleeves are quite long on me. The shirt has lasted very well, so you will have to look at the website to see whether something comparable is currently available. Buen camino

Ultrafine merino for me - cool in the sun, warm on colder days, naturally deodorant, so you can wear them for much longer than synthetic without getting stinky. And that natural fibre feels so much nicer than the slippery touch of synthetic. Like every equipment question, there are lots of very strongly held and different opinions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lands' End dry-fit - 85% acrylic, 15% cotton. Feels and looks like a regular t-shirt, dries really fast. I have the women's M, but I've tried the men's S which was just about identical.

Wow thank you all for the good ideas. I've made a note of them all... and the ones that ship to/in France.

I am still not 100% sure if I'll take a shirt or tech t-shirt... I have to keep my arm covered as I burnt it badly last year and I have to keep the new skin out of the sun. I've looked a few runners tops that have thumb holes which might also work well... but I've also seen just seen UV sleeves? They might be a good solution too? ( I might start another thread on that one!)

I was worried that the women's blouses might have been too short but it seems that you're all happy with the choices you made which is great news!

many thanks... still 20 weeks before I need to decide!

I see Columbia has a french website. I've ordered my Tamiami from either Sierra Trading Post or Amazon in the US.

The shirt really sounds great! Many thanks for the measurements! They do have a French and a UK site but they dont sell the Tamiami to us? Or have the range of sizes and colours? I never really understand this with international sites? Maybe I'll email them?

thanks again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also like the Columbia Tamiami 11. Somewhat blousy therefore loose and cool, well vented, lightweight, quick dry, good colour range.
NB. At least in men's sizings they run large. I buy a size smaller than usual.
Regards
Gerard

I have been out today wearing my new Rohan 'Cambric' shirt. It is really good, not sweaty etc and I know it fulfills its drying time claim because I had washed it out when I first bought it. Long sleeves with UV treatment and also a good long 'tail' so it should fit taller folk well. Tucked into my trousers all round OK.

I also like the Columbia Tamiami 11. Somewhat blousy therefore loose and cool, well vented, lightweight, quick dry, good colour range.
NB. At least in men's sizings they run large. I buy a size smaller than usual.
Regards
Gerard

:( will definitely email them and ask how I get these in France? I also like the clean look of the front of the shirt... no visible pockets.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been out today wearing my new Rohan 'Cambric' shirt. It is really good, not sweaty etc and I know it fulfills its drying time claim because I had washed it out when I first bought it. Long sleeves with UV treatment and also a good long 'tail' so it should fit taller folk well. Tucked into my trousers all round OK.

I saw that shirt and wondered if it was for hiking or just travel... it lookeed very nice and cool... thanks for the review!

It was great to walk in but also looks smart enough to be a 'tidy' shirt :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to help you along :) - the shirt is 73cms from the collar base seam to the centre of the bottom hem

Patagonia Capilene Daily. Great sun protection, and they stay relatively cool for nylon quick-dry. I basically live in them. If you walking in the summer, I'd take one of them and one LL Bean quick dry cotton long sleeve. The Capilene Daily has long arms (designed to go over hands for sun protection), which means they fit me (although my arms are too long to make the sun-protection-on-the-hands-thing work right). Silver in the thread to keep bacteria (and hence, odor) down.

Second place when I tested some options was Columbia Omni-Freeze. About as cool and wearable as the Patagonia, but I don't think they have silver in the thread.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

crikey... I managed to shave 2 kilos from my pack... but now I've got a list of half a dozen shirts! thanks for the help :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a heavy duty long sleeved one with a pocket on it. That's to protect my arms from the sun and somewhere to put my glasses etc.
My favourite t shirt however is very battered and bleached one that says " Same shirt different day" on the front.

Hi LesBrass,
You might want to check out shirts from Sun Precautions, which is a sun protection clothing company based in Seattle (http://www.sunprecautions.com/). Their sizes tend to be roomy and some styles feature longer lengths in back -- some shirt styles are unisex, while others are tailored more for women. I’ve used their products for years (am highly sun sensitive), including for my Caminos. The fabric is 100% SPF, very lightweight, wrinkles fall away, and mesh ventilation in the armpits so perfect for travel/walking. For the Camino, I usually wear an ultralight short sleeve top (Outdoor Research Echo) underneath my long sleeve shirt. Downside is Sun Precautions is a bit pricey and unfortunately not found on sale websites (like other shirt recommendations given to your question). Customer service is great, though, and they do have international shipping.
Buen Camino!

Wow... they must be good!

I'm just thinking of the length really. Do I go girls or boys? I like the idea of walking in a long sleeve shirt... so perhaps I'd need to wash it more frequently :D If a woman's shirt is cut too short it tends to be too short all over (arm, body, bust and length). Any ladies out there have a favourite?
I'm 5'9" and I usually end up with a men's shirt. I found the women's are always cut so small and I am not a twiggy girl. Bottom line is not brand but comfort and quality.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.