• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite towns and sights between Cahors and SJPP

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
I've focused so much on this part of my journey that I all but ignored the second!

Moissac, I believe is very nice just from the prettiness of the word, and Condom's Armagnac museum has my name on it. Any favourite towns or must sees from my intrepid GR-65ers?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lauzerte, Auvillar, Lectoure, and La Romieu. The chateau at Larressingle is also worth a look and maybe a stayover (I liked the gite La Halte de Laressingle very much). I haven't hiked from Manciet to SJPP yet.

All of those places mentioned I loved. The cloister at Moissac is a big to-see. When a cloister is really good I lap it. Moissac was good for several laps. Vespers at Saint-Pierre next door!

I'm not much of a judge, but I find places like Lauzerte and Lectoure have a real finish to them. Lectoure was a capital once and it shows.

Keep in mind my friends with the truffle farm at Trigodina, after Cahors. Good gite and nice people.

The French seem to like Auvillar just for a weekend break, so try to arrive there outside of Paris holidays and the weekends.

Think you'll love it.

Bon chemin

Rob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Moissac, aside from the cloister, is best enjoyed by exploring a few blocks off the route. Head south from the abbey/cloister toward the canal and further on to the river Tarn. It's far prettier than the chemin along the railroad tracks and there are some good bakeries where you'll find all the usual items plus a variety of small pizzas for the next day's lunch.

I'll second Lectoure. Though it can really shut down after 6 pm, I've enjoyed (overpriced) refreshment at the belvedere square near where you reach the top of the town as you enter after a long steep climb. I've enjoyed dinners at two different restos on the main street and found its cathedral more interesting than most. Bakeries too. It's mid-sized, I suppose, but you can accomplish a lot: I've been to the dentist and gotten a haircut there, and I have good memories of both. Nice people in both pharmacies. In the morning there was a sizeable farmers' market setting up.

Auvillar is a gem. Just trekking through you'll see two obvious sites, the round market and the clock tower, along with the bakery and grocery. Stray a bit and you'll discover a shaded belvedere, a modernized square in front of the local church, a cafe for afternoon refreshment, and dining options. It's a short walk from Moissac, especially if you follow the canal route as most people do, but I've twice found to it impossible not to spend the night.

Most forgettable: Nogaro.

I'm very pleased with your responses. From a logistical standpoint they are generally between 2o and 25km apart with the odd 15km and 30km day makes for a very nice plan of easy walking!

Now the post Condom/Larressingle route into Duck Country and beyond. Any suggestions (for avoidance, even) for these legs?

There's less to recommend as you work your way toward the Pyrenees, where great drama awaits. I guess Navarrenx is a high point, with old battlements to explore. Lots of hikers dined upscale in a friendly hotel restaurant on the town square.

I wonder if anyone has done the variant via Saint-Palais.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's less to recommend as you work your way toward the Pyrenees, where great drama awaits. I guess Navarrenx is a high point, with old battlements to explore. Lots of hikers dined upscale in a friendly hotel restaurant on the town square.

I wonder if anyone has done the variant via Saint-Palais.

There seems to be an occasional local bus that runs towards Pau and goes via Condom, so if time needed to made up, this could to opportune place to make it.
But I imagine that the sight of the looming Pyrenees gets the blood pumping in the morning!
Just Google Mapped Saint-Palais; would be interesting.

There seems to be an occasional local bus that runs towards Pau and goes via Condom, so if time needed to made up, this could to opportune place to make it.
But I imagine that the sight of the looming Pyrenees gets the blood pumping in the morning!
Just Google Mapped Saint-Palais; would be interesting.

That local bus is run on a regular schedule by the national railroad (SNCF). I know it runs at least Condom->Aire sur l'Adour->Pau. It's also useful for leaving the GR65 if you haven't the time to make it to SJPP or Roncevaux.

I found reference to it on the SNCF site but not an actual timetable, but it should be reasonably easy to dig up on the usual online places. Places are reasonably well serviced in the area; travellers are quite lucky.

Early autumn should be a lovely time of year to visit the Célé valley! How long are planning to spend in the valley? Straight through, or zigging up to Rocamadour or zagging down to Limogne?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found Seviac, the remains of a 3rd century Roman villa, interesting and certainly worth the 3 km detour from Montreal.

And Rocamadour, while not really after Cahors, is definitely a must see. (Although very touristy).

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back