A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Fear NOT...Solo Hiker's Best Whistle for Safety

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
I bought this whistle for personal safety for my training and to wear on the Camino. It weighs one ounce. If a flasher exposes their person to you in the city, this whistle is so supremely loud, I only blow it at public pools to scare the kids and out in the country so I will be practiced in blowing it. It will hurt your own ears. The disclaimer at the bottom where it says "Extremely loud" is an understatement.

davebugg

"When I Have Your Wounded" - Dustoff Motto
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Ingles (2019)
Great whistle :)

Those who have backpacks with a sternum strap, check your buckle to see if the manufacturer incorporates a bit of a whistle into it. Osprey does this, and so do several other brands.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
On the manufacturer's website they say that they are a certified women's business.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
I bought this whistle for personal safety for my training and to wear on the Camino. It weighs one ounce. If a flasher exposes their person to you in the city, this whistle is so supremely loud, I only blow it at public pools to scare the kids and out in the country so I will be practiced in blowing it. It will hurt your own ears. The disclaimer at the bottom where it says "Extremely loud" is an understatement.

I love the idea that it works under water - perfect for Galicia!

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
A whistle is an excellent 'tool'. ONCE I used a powerful whistle and it was so loud that it seriously, hurt MY ears. It was one of these...just sayin'

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...

Those who have backpacks with a sternum strap, check your buckle to see if the manufacturer incorporates a bit of a whistle into it. Osprey does this, and so do several other brands.
I trust on my Osprey whistle on a path that crowded as the Camino Francés.

J F Gregory

Portugal Central - October 2019
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (March-April,2016) finished, (October 2019) Portuguese Central Route.
I have used a whistle when my wife was injured on the trail in a U. S. national park. I am not sure who heard it but we had help about 20 minutes after blowing the rangers came and transported my wife to a safe place. We never hike or walk with out one.

MaineSally

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17)
Camino Portuguese - April ('19)

Great advice whether you're injured or warding off unwanted advances of people/dogs I used the whistle to deter an approaching dog. He took off like a shot.

Island

Camino(s) past & future
CP (2019)
Florida Trail
Appalachain Trail
We carry Storm whistles on all or our scout first aid kits. Great whistle. Do not use inside. o_O

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
We carry Storm whistles on all or our scout first aid kits. Great whistle. Do not use inside. o_O
YES please forgive me for not including that warning in my initial post! It is not designed for indoors. I wouldn't use it around dogs either because they have sensitive ears unless they are charging you.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Aug 1, 2019)

Thank you for that! I got an Osprey Jib35 at a yard sale and YouTubed a review of it, looking for this feature I'd been told Ospreys had. No could find anything hanging or attached but JUST found it thanks to your "incorporated into the buckle." Got 4 dogs barking and storming the front window. 😅👿👿👿👿

Paul J W

Paul J
Camino(s) past & future
Miscellaneous camino routes since 2000.
It is worth noting that the international distress call (used, for instance, if immobilised and off track) is six blasts of a whistle, repeated every minute. If heard, the response is three blasts. The series of six blasts should be continued until (you are) located. At night a similar signal may be deployed using a torch. For obvious reasons, should a helicopter assist in a rescue, the torch should be directed to the ground and not the helicopter.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
S Equipment Questions 44
L Equipment Questions 11

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 25.0%