• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Fear NOT...Solo Hiker's Best Whistle for Safety

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
I bought this whistle for personal safety for my training and to wear on the Camino. It weighs one ounce. If a flasher exposes their person to you in the city, this whistle is so supremely loud, I only blow it at public pools to scare the kids and out in the country so I will be practiced in blowing it. It will hurt your own ears. The disclaimer at the bottom where it says "Extremely loud" is an understatement.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the manufacturer's website they say that they are a certified women's business.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought this whistle for personal safety for my training and to wear on the Camino. It weighs one ounce. If a flasher exposes their person to you in the city, this whistle is so supremely loud, I only blow it at public pools to scare the kids and out in the country so I will be practiced in blowing it. It will hurt your own ears. The disclaimer at the bottom where it says "Extremely loud" is an understatement.

I love the idea that it works under water - perfect for Galicia!

A whistle is an excellent 'tool'. ONCE I used a powerful whistle and it was so loud that it seriously, hurt MY ears. It was one of these...just sayin'

Great whistle :)

Those who have backpacks with a sternum strap, check your buckle to see if the manufacturer incorporates a bit of a whistle into it. Osprey does this, and so do several other brands.
I trust on my Osprey whistle on a path that crowded as the Camino Francés.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used a whistle when my wife was injured on the trail in a U. S. national park. I am not sure who heard it but we had help about 20 minutes after blowing the rangers came and transported my wife to a safe place. We never hike or walk with out one.

Great advice whether you're injured or warding off unwanted advances of people/dogs I used the whistle to deter an approaching dog. He took off like a shot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We carry Storm whistles on all or our scout first aid kits. Great whistle. Do not use inside. o_O

YES please forgive me for not including that warning in my initial post! It is not designed for indoors. I wouldn't use it around dogs either because they have sensitive ears unless they are charging you.

Great whistle :)

Those who have backpacks with a sternum strap, check your buckle to see if the manufacturer incorporates a bit of a whistle into it. Osprey does this, and so do several other brands.

Thank you for that! I got an Osprey Jib35 at a yard sale and YouTubed a review of it, looking for this feature I'd been told Ospreys had. No could find anything hanging or attached but JUST found it thanks to your "incorporated into the buckle." Got 4 dogs barking and storming the front window. 😅👿👿👿👿

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is worth noting that the international distress call (used, for instance, if immobilised and off track) is six blasts of a whistle, repeated every minute. If heard, the response is three blasts. The series of six blasts should be continued until (you are) located. At night a similar signal may be deployed using a torch. For obvious reasons, should a helicopter assist in a rescue, the torch should be directed to the ground and not the helicopter.

Back