• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fear of heights (don't laugh- It's real!)

sarahmadrid

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances
Hello! I am lucky enough to live in Spain, and have just over a week to do something for my soul! However, I have terrible vertigo ( I once hugged a pylon up the Eiffel Tower for an hour). Is there anywhere I should worry about from Sarria to Compostela?
Thanks guys!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ouch, I know the feeling. I'll be honest - the bridge over to Portomarin does my head in every time and I normally get across purely by walking in the car lane (not otherwise recommended), muttering Peregrina soy, a Santiago voy rapidly to myself, not looking down and with luck having someone with me who understands. Though technically what I have is acrophobia, the fear of being at the highest point or near edges, it works pretty much the same way. That is really the only problematic bit I can think of and it's still doable. Google a pic of it - it is nothing like the Eiffel tower! I'm sure you'll be fine, buen camino!

Ouch, I know the feeling. I'll be honest - the bridge over to Portomarin does my head in every time and I normally get across purely by walking in the car lane (not otherwise recommended), muttering Peregrina soy, a Santiago voy rapidly to myself, not looking down and with luck having someone with me who understands. Though technically what I have is acrophobia, the fear of being at the highest point or near edges, it works pretty much the same way. That is really the only problematic bit I can think of and it's still doable. Google a pic of it - it is nothing like the Eiffel tower! I'm sure you'll be fine, buen camino!
Thanks so much!! I have jumped out of a cable car at 4 metres high- so I know my limits. It seems to be getting worse as I get older. Is it possible to hitchhike over? (I dont know what its called when you have the desire to throw yourself off!) I'm fine on slopes.. just bridges and sheer drop!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with @nidarosa. I can only remember Portomarin as being a problem. I have done rock climbing and rapelling and the height hasn't bothered me but, oh, managing those edges! I thought about walking in the traffic lane or crawling in the pedestrian lane but I ended up toughing it out (after making sure no one was close enough to bump me.)

Call a taxi?

During droughts you can see the old Roman bridge. Use that?

I agree with @nidarosa. I can only remember Portomarin as being a problem. I have done rock climbing and repelling and the height hasn't bothered me but, oh, managing those edges! I thought about walking in the traffic lane or crawling in the pedestrian lane but I ended up toughing it out (after making sure no one was close enough to bump me.)

Call a taxi?
Thanks Rick! Many are the times I have blindfolded myself and run across a bridge- sadly now I'm not sure how fast I could run.. and I have also (literally) crawled across a bridge in Seville (it's not even very high!). I guess I will see when I get there what my options are.

Taxi is one way. Also, almost always someone to walk over with. Plus, it is worse when the water is low, I had no problem one year when the river/dam under the bridge was high so the drop was not so noticable. I really can't do the pedestrian lane, someone always stops to take photos and that freaks me out when I need to get across asap! But I have crossed it now 8 times, so it really is a case of mind over matter and speedwalking ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I look at the photos, there seems to be a high bridge and a low one- please tell me the low one is the pedestrian crossing! Thank you so much for your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As someone who took their mother on the london Eye ( a giant ferris wheel) with a t-shirt wrapped around her eyes... I am sure I will find a solution! Thank you!!

Early in our relationship I encouraged Peg to ride on a kiddie roller coaster despite her objections. Not only did she think she would die but, looking at her, I thought she was going to die. Never did that again and never will. I've got to give it to you though for seemingly seeking out all those challenges.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh, and when you get across the bridge, as you will, maybe not go for the stairs up to the town. They are very steep and set me off, so I just go to the right of it and take the path or road up to town. If your knees are jellified you won't enjoy the stairs anyway, and if you can't turn around to enjoy the view ... well, best avoided.
You might not enjoy a meal at the Mirador either, with its large glass front overlooking the river, or you might!

When I walked last April the water was so high the bridge didnt seem that high, hopefully it will be the same for you. Buen Camino

It is possible to cross the old bridge rather than the high one - depending on the height of the water obviously. But, and it may be a big but for you, the old bridge has no sides or barriers at all. It is two-lane traffic wide and you can walk down the centre with your eyes fixed on the far bank

If you walk the old route down to the bridge and and on the last bend before you get down to the road junction there is a field gate on the right that leads to a track down to the riverbank. The rest is obvious as it comes into view.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Early in our relationship I encouraged Peg to ride on a kiddie roller coaster despite her objections. Not only did she think she would die but, looking at her, I thought she was going to die. Never did that again and never will. I've got to give it to you though for seemingly seeking out all those challenges.
Weirdly, I don't mind rollercoasters (they're not an everyday thing though). Sometimes you just have to trust your fear...

It is possible to cross the old bridge rather than the high one - depending on the height of the water obviously. But, and it may be a big but for you, the old bridge has no sides or barriers at all. It is two-lane traffic wide and you can walk down the centre with your eyes fixed on the far bank

If you walk the old route down to the bridge and and on the last bend before you get down to the road junction there is a field gate on the right that leads to a track down to the riverbank. The rest is obvious as it comes into view.
Oh.. You're right, I think it may be the bridge I cannot walk across. Fear is one thing, but flinging myself off is another (see cable car incident above). This will be my first camino and I feel a bit guilty using a car to cross.. is that mad?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@sarahmadrid I have the same, the main problem is the fear that I will fling myself off the edge for no reason. I can't do steep, so this year I am even considering taking the road route out of Villafranca rather than the prettier, harder and steeper Pradela route, just because I will be walking on my own. It won't stop me getting there, but I know my weak points and either avoid or challenge them depending on the mood, weather and company.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's more likely you have acrophobia than vertigo - they often get confused. Vertigo is when you get a dizzy, spinning sensation in your head not fear of heights (blame it on Hitchcock). The last time I crossed the bridge in Portomarin (2016) the water was very, very low and it was a long way down. As I walked I looked at the tarmac on the roadside of the crash barrier. No worse than walking down the street but I still took baby steps.
Holding somebody's hand sometimes helps - you can always close your eyes! Like childbirth, the best advice is not to look down.
It's a genuine fear and you have my sympathy but you only have to do it once, the bridge out of Portomarin isn't half as bad and, if you do it in the dark there's not much to see.
Best wishes.

@Jeff Crawley Yes, I read up on it and realised I have acrophobia (from acro, on the hill, as in Acropolis, meaning city on the hill) and my problem is not so much height, but steepness and edges and the fear of throwing myself over them. The lemming in me, I suppose. I don't even trust myself to sit in the emergency exit seats on the plane, even if they offer me lots of lovely legroom. Hats can help block out the view, poles help with speed and balance, deep breathing and muttering mantras, or concentrating on something or someone else ... the second time I crossed the bridge a friend held my hand and spoke about Cebreiro cheese all the way over! Whatever works.
And for people who haven't got it, please don't tell us to get over it/man up/just do it, because it really feels life-and-death scary! I will giggle next time now thinking it's like childbirth - just don't look down 😁

I used to have an almost paralyzing fear of heights (we're even talking three steps up a ladder). I found that multiple zipline trips cured me of it. Now, heights don't bother me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have crossed that bridge in October and November, when I looked over the side and thought "Wow, this is quite dramatic. I'm glad I don't have a fear of heights." I crossed it in March with someone who does have a fear of heights, and it was very different. The reservoir was much higher so it seemed like a regular bridge. My companion said that she had to focus on her poles and talk herself across, but that it was not too bad.

If necessary, you could probably hitch a ride, or ask someone to send a taxi back for you.

Thanks Rick! Many are the times I have blindfolded myself and run across a bridge- sadly now I'm not sure how fast I could run.. and I have also (literally) crawled across a bridge in Seville (it's not even very high!). I guess I will see when I get there what my options are.
That bridge at Portomarin is not that busy. Just walk in the traffic lane with a fellow pilgrim and look straight ahead and hold their arm.

That bridge should be the oly place that 'gets' you, Sarah...
And for people who haven't got it, please don't tell us to get over it/man up/just do it, because it really feels life-and-death scary!
No, indeed. You can't just turn it off. And it feels...yeah...literally, life and death.
I used to have a terrible spider phobia. Same. Stupid and irrational but there it was.

Taking deep breaths, and focusing on the simple sensations of them, can divert the attention just enough to loosen the grip of the terror. Or feeling your feet as the touch the solid ground. And because the fear's irrational, and at least intellectually you know it's irrational, to remember you actually won't die (or jump) is helpful too.
And if you're with someone who kindly is willing to help you across, let them be your 'crossing guard,' the person who is between you and the edge.
Buen camino, @sarahmadrid !

€149,-
Thanks so much!! I have jumped out of a cable car at 4 metres high- so I know my limits. It seems to be getting worse as I get older. Is it possible to hitchhike over? (I dont know what its called when you have the desire to throw yourself off!) I'm fine on slopes.. just bridges and sheer drop!!
Four metres up is a bit of a jump. That jump did not cure the phobia? Were you injured?

For those reading this and thinking of other routes where fear of heights might be an issue — on the Camino Portugues, the bridge (Puente Internacional de Tuy) from Valenca Portugal to Tui, Spain might necessitate a Taxi alternative.

Having walked that way three times, I suggest that you:

(1) Find some other pilgrims to walk across the bridge with. Tell them of your fears and ask to walk with them. Hold hands if need be. I am sure they will oblige, I would. It is a FLAT bridge, there is no crown or rise to walk up and down. You can focus on the stairs at the opposite side of the bridge, or the town on the hill to the right. It is very pretty. It only takes maybe 10 minutes to walk across. Sing a song, listen to tunes on your smartphone, OR,

(2) As a last resort, stop at a bar / cafe near the bridge but on the near side / Sarria side. Ask them to call you a taxi into Portomarin. They will certainly do so. My guess is that they have seen this many times. According to Mr. Brierely, there is a cafe / albergue at Mercadoiro, about 3.5 km BEFORE Portomarin and about 2.5 km before the bridge. Along the Camino, taxis cost about €1 per km. PLUS, you can get a sello here too...

I note that failing to walk the full final 100 Km into Santiago is usually grounds to deny you a Compostela. But to do this, the staff have to figure out that you did not actually walk. Unless you tell them, they usually just look at the sellos in your credencial.

I consider your need to be a medical necessity. Provided that you only used a taxi for a few km, just to get you across the bridge, and NOT to skip a day of walking, I do not see a problem. If you do not tell them, they will not ask.

Do not forget that, from Sarria to Santiago, you must have at least two sellos in your credencial each day. Get one from where you sleep, and another at a bar / cafe along the way. I do not see a problem doing this, and taking that taxi to help you overcome the very real obstacle of having to walk the bridge.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is the fear of heights and the fear of falling. It helps to try to figure out which you might be triggered by in order to help yourself get thru it. I can stand high on top of mountains and building will sturdy railings. However, anything that I might perceive as unsteady or dangerous, even if only a few feet off of the ground will make me freeze in my steps and panic ( a ladder, a metal bridge with holes in the surface, along a steep cliff, a shaky bridge, a theme park ride that seats you with feet hanging , etc...) If I feel I am secure on my feet, and not at a danger of falling off the side of anywhere, the height does not matter. Walking with poles to feel steady and not close to any any edges helps. The key is convincing yourself that you are grounded. Since you mentioned no issue with roller coasters, consider the fear of falling rather than the fear of heights...you would be seated on the coaster and securely buckled in. Just worth a bit more exploring...it might help you get some resolve. Good luck!

There is the fear of heights and the fear of falling. It helps to try to figure out which you might be triggered by in order to help yourself get thru it. I can stand high on top of mountains and building will sturdy railings. However, anything that I might perceive as unsteady or dangerous, even if only a few feet off of the ground will make me freeze in my steps and panic ( a ladder, a metal bridge with holes in the surface, along a steep cliff, a shaky bridge, a theme park ride that seats you with feet hanging , etc...) If I feel I am secure on my feet, and not at a danger of falling off the side of anywhere, the height does not matter. Walking with poles to feel steady and not close to any any edges helps. The key is convincing yourself that you are grounded. Since you mentioned no issue with roller coasters, consider the fear of falling rather than the fear of heights...you would be seated on the coaster and securely buckled in. Just worth a bit more exploring...it might help you get some resolve. Good luck!
I did the same on that bridge with my wife laughing at me. I do not think you will have a problem anywhere else

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a tiny rock bridge over a creek/stream in the woods somewhere after Melide (I think). The bridge is made up of irregular shaped, large slabs of rock. It's only about 10 feet long.

I can cross the Portomarin bridge without problem - one hand on the rail for grounding - but that little rock bridge is beyond me. I can get almost halfway across but then I freeze and have to back off. I've needed to wait for someone to come along to hold my hand every time. There is a slightly longer alternate route which I only know about as there is a large signboard at the entrance to the woods that shows it. The sign recommends this route through the woods. Next time I need to try the alternate.

I've been trying to narrow down the location but drawing a blank. It was after the joining of the camino from Lugo, as my last helpers came off that way.

I hate the rock bridges after Roncesvalles also, but they are more manageable.

@sarahmadrid I have the same, the main problem is the fear that I will fling myself off the edge for no reason. I can't do steep, so this year I am even considering taking the road route out of Villafranca rather than the prettier, harder and steeper Pradela route, just because I will be walking on my own. It won't stop me getting there, but I know my weak points and either avoid or challenge them depending on the mood, weather and company.

I have walked the harder and steeper Pradela route on my own, but much prefer the prettier river route. Now that there is an ultra-modern elevated highway nearby, I have experienced very little traffic on the road next to the river path. There are barriers between the path and the road and there is a little picnic area along the way. I much prefer the easy walking and the sound of the river to the steep narrow path where I have to watch every step on the higher route.

Hello! I am lucky enough to live in Spain, and have just over a week to do something for my soul! However, I have terrible vertigo ( I once hugged a pylon up the Eiffel Tower for an hour). Is there anywhere I should worry about from Sarria to Compostela?
Thanks guys!!
Portamarin
Thanks guys!!

Portomarin Bridge...... I get the sweats every time I cross it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of good suggestions. I am o.k.--but not great--crossing that bridge. I once crossed with a friend who was quite afraid, so she pulled her hat down far enough that she could only see her feet and held on to my elbow as we crossed together. I think a taxi might be your best bet--quick and easy.

I, too, hate high bridges. Each time that I have walked the Camino Frances one section that I have particularly dreaded and even feared involves crossing varied bridges just before entering Leon. In the past we pilgrims walked on a narrow medieval bridge at Villarente in frightening competition with on-coming contemporary lorry traffic. The traffic usually won. Luckily in 2012/2013 a dedicated pedestrian-only bridge was added. What a relief it now is to gently stroll along this elegant low wooden way without fearing being hit or run over!

Closer to Leon amidst industrial sprawl a recent pedestrian bridge carries pilgrims high above the auto-route. When I got there in 2010 the wind was so terrific that at first I could NOT MOVE! Seeking help but seeing no other pilgrim I backed down the ramp and calmly walked into a nearby car showroom. After I explained that I needed assistance to cross the slightly astonished but very elegant manager put on his coat and took my arm. Eventually we both made it across, wind-blown and breathless! With a casual 'Adios' he further added that he had never walked the Camino and if it was all like this crossing he certainly never would! ...Now whenever I have successfully crossed this bridge I smile in great relief!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I suffer from the same thing but I did not find the bridge at Portomarin a problem. it is not THAT bad.

Oh, and when you get across the bridge, as you will, maybe not go for the stairs up to the town. They are very steep and set me off, so I just go to the right of it and take the path or road up to town. If your knees are jellified you won't enjoy the stairs anyway, and if you can't turn around to enjoy the view ... well, best avoided.
You might not enjoy a meal at the Mirador either, with its large glass front overlooking the river, or you might!
If you don't need to go into the town of Portomarin (to shop, eat lunch, sleep for the night), you can bypass the town altogether by turning left at the end of the bridge and following the road around for a few hundred meters. You come to a road bridge, then a few meters farther you come to a pedestrian bridge across a smaller stream. Unless it has changed since I walked that way in 2013, the marked Camino path crosses the pedestrian bridge. Neither bridge is as high as the earlier bridge, but it's possible that @sarahmadrid might be affected by these as well.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you don't need to go into the town of Portomarin (to shop, eat lunch, sleep for the night), you can bypass the town altogether by turning left at the end of the bridge and following the road around for a few hundred meters. You come to a road bridge, then a few meters farther you come to a pedestrian bridge across a smaller stream. Unless it has changed since I walked that way in 2013, the marked Camino path crosses the pedestrian bridge. Neither bridge is as high as the earlier bridge, but it's possible that @sarahmadrid might be affected by these as well.
Buen Camino!

And if you want to escape the crowd for a little while, after you've crossed that bridge leaving Portomarin, don't turn right after that bridge, but instead turn left and follow the river for a few hundred metres, then vere right on a small paved road that will be marked. This is the older route of the camino, now recommended for cyclists. It goes through a village and the same forest as the other path, but is quiet. It is pavement, but I found it a lovely walk. It rejoins the other path near the abandoned factory.

@sarahmadrid I don't know that i have any phobia, but I did switch to the traffic lane after a short bit on the bridge. I think it was my eyes playing tricks on me looking down, then up, then to the stairs. There was no problem with the traffic.

You may consider looking at the bridge in Google Maps street view. You can do a virtual walk of the bridge. It might help to put it in perspective for you, or help desensitize you to the experience.

Here is a hyperlink to the street view:

¡Buena suerte!☘:D:cool:

It was early July 2015
Hmmm. Now we need someone to tell us about the reservoir levels. In my experience the water was high in the spring and low in the fall. Perhaps July is in-between. Could you see the old bridge which is underwater at some times of year?

Thanks guys!!
At Portomarín I walked in the road. There wasn't much traffic. On the Norte, at Ribadeo, I had to walk across THIS. Note the LOW railing and the NARROW walkway. I thought I was going to DIIIIIIIIIIIIE of cardiac arrest!

Attachments

• 80EDBB1D-3320-44F3-80EA-3D9B52DBA50E-4703-000001E50C61EDA2.jpg
    80EDBB1D-3320-44F3-80EA-3D9B52DBA50E-4703-000001E50C61EDA2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 59
  • B070979D-0BFE-41F7-8C80-90E325DDB7F4-4703-000001E52CAD5932.gif
    B070979D-0BFE-41F7-8C80-90E325DDB7F4-4703-000001E52CAD5932.gif
    158 KB · Views: 57
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have a good pic of the old bridge, taken Sep 2017, but have forgotten how to reduce the JPEG file size so can't attach!

My first, and last, roller coaster ride was also a kiddie roller coaster with my young children. I was a nervous wreck and screamed so loud in extreme fear that the man running it finally stopped it and let me off! Never again!

Thanks guys!!
Could you arrange your schedule so that you don't stop in Portomarin? Pilgrims cross the high bridge to get there and cross another bridge to continue their pilgrimage.
Gonzar is a further 8km along the trail and you wouldn't need to cross any bridges if that was your target for the day.

I have a fear of heights and get rather woozy. When I cross the bridge at Portomarin, I always look straight ahead and not at the water below. It helps.

Just reading this thread gives me an odd feeling in the stomach! Yep, I'm another that hates bridges. Portomarin was not as bad as some I've traversed. At least the pedestrian lane is a reasonable width. I try to "feel the fear and do it anyway".

There is. Approaching Portomarin you're going gently downhill and the high bridge is to your right. If you continue straight on you will pick up the yellow arrows again at the next bridge.

@Stephen I am looking at the google map now and all I can see is another bridge crossing an arm of the reservoir and carrying on on the same side, can't see how to get across to the side where Gonzar is without a huge detour? BTW I have never walked the 'new' gentle downhill way toward Portomarin, I did the short and steep one once - never again - but prefer the 'old' route with the steep tarmac road where you approach the bridge and it turns to the right.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sorry, I've misremembered. I did cross the high bridge once and gave Portomarin a miss. I turned left and walked until I came to the next bridge but, as has been said, it only crosses an arm of the lake. It seems the high bridge can't be avoided.

@Stephen No problem, I thought you might have done and I didn't want to raise anyone's hopes of avoiding That Bridge. I would if I could ... but then again, arriving safely on the other side is one of the happiest moments of my caminos! (and yes, there is always albariño for brave pilgrims who face their fear)

Look closely and there are three bridges in that great photo.

Three: the new bridge, the Roman bridge, and off in the distance the bridge leaving town that crosses the small river.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And here's both bridges
What an amazing photo, Stephen. The contrast between the modern monstrosity and the Roman bridge couldn't be starker. I've always thought it was a pity that they drowned the whole town...and its history too. Yeah, a lot of it got moved, but you can't move people's roots, nor their stories. Not to mention gorgeous Roman bridges.

Edit~Sorry off topic, but I just read this: "In 1946 the town was declared a historic and artistic site and, paradoxically, ten years later the construction of the biggest reservoir of Galicia submerged the whole village."
Crazy. I guess whoever declared the town to be historic site had a wee bit less money than whomever wanted to dam the river.:mad:
And the guys with the money built a d**n scary bridge. It's a small consolation to know that for sure it won't last as long as the Roman one.

Three bridges?
There's one in the background, Chris...

Last edited:
Three: the new bridge, the Roman bridge, and off in the distance the bridge leaving town that crosses the small river.
@sarahmadrid, that third bridge is on the camino too (but I think there are ways to avoid it there where the creek is wide). While the main bridge into town was really scary I had no problems with that bridge.

I had to walk on the traffic side of the barrier too when I crossed the Portomarin Bridge!

Hmmm. Now we need someone to tell us about the reservoir levels. In my experience the water was high in the spring and low in the fall. Perhaps July is in-between. Could you see the old bridge which is underwater at some times of year?
I dont remember seeing the old bridge.

My photo of the bridges, posted at 12.30 yesterday, was taken in the autumn. Stains on the bridge supports show what the water level is earlier in the year.

Thanks guys!!
I understand that fear entirely. I have a fear that I will fall out of a top bunk. If they have no side rail, they terrify me, I'm too scared to sleep.

@Anamiri If you have a long elasticated clothesline or a long scarf/sarong, you can tie it to the head and foot end of the bed, creating a symbolic but tangible barrier. Even in your sleep, if you get too close you will move away. I have the same problem with the upper bunks that are placed out into the room with no rail either side! I tied the opposite corners of the sarong to one side and my scarf on the other and slept well (apart from people opening and closing the window angrily, but that's a different story).

Attachments

• DSCN1334 lys.jpg
    DSCN1334 lys.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 13
I feel your fear - I have a fear of heights too .. but have a sneaking suspicion that fear of heights is actually fear of jumping . I get odd and severe physical symptoms, like strong electric shocks running up and down my legs - horrid - can't sleep in a hotel room at height, unless I know that the windows don't open!!

Here a pic of that bridge, and the lower one .... lower one is the way to go (you can always trust the Romans ;)).

img_0366.jpg

Last edited:
I would add to the Portomarin bridge, which I have only been able to navigate with the aid of other pilgrims, the truly terrifying bridges at Riaño, on the Vadiniense, and over the Río Eo at Ribadeo on the del Norte. The latter I have never been able to navigate, as the walkway is on the right hand of the bridge, with heavy traffic providing a nice invigorating shake of the bridge as it zooms by. At both places, a thumb provides you with friendly assistance from drivers.

Luckily no.. some trees broke my fall! It didn't help at all (in curing me) it just proved how strong my desire to reach the ground is!
Wow. That is crazy (not trying to be offensive). I have never heard of that before.
Well, maybe you can get a fellow pilgrim to carry your pack across the bridge at Portomarin for you (it is really not that long a span), and then you can jog or walk as quickly as you can across the bridge whilst in the vehicle traffic lane(s), concentrating straight ahead at the set of stairs. That sort of jog will put all your concentration on the ground directly in front of you and the bridge directly in front of you.

Thanks guys!!
I too have bad acrophobia which I usually control by a technique. I define my vision areas as Near - Middle Distance and Far Distance. When I need to traverse obstacles with a vertiginous drop I focus on only Near and Far Distance points. This reduces my fears quite considerably. As a young man I learned to abseil on the rock of Gibraltar. The near distance technique allowed me to go over the edge. I concentrated directly in front of me and the accompanying PT sergeant warned me of any issues as I descended. I actually went back and did another three descents although my legs were like jelly at the end of each descent. I don't know whether this coping strategy would work for you but give it a try and see if it helps. A fellow squad member had a similar fear but he could not control it. He used to lay in the bottom of the Landrover when we ascended/descended the military roads on the rock.

Thanks guys!!
Hi I too think the only issue will be Portomarim. The last time I did it I happened on 3 Spanish women taking photos. I said to one '' a mi no me gusta el Puente.'' She clearly understood as she took my arm and marched us down the middle of the road. In those circumstances you can close your eyes. Good Luck

Thanks guys!!

I feel for you. Have you heard of EFT? It is tapping along the meridian points on your body, may be of
benefit for your fear. Might get rid of it....and its non invasive. All the very best...Have a Wonderful Camino!!

There is a tiny rock bridge over a creek/stream in the woods somewhere after Melide (I think). The bridge is made up of irregular shaped, large slabs of rock. It's only about 10 feet long.

I can cross the Portomarin bridge without problem - one hand on the rail for grounding - but that little rock bridge is beyond me. I can get almost halfway across but then I freeze and have to back off. I've needed to wait for someone to come along to hold my hand every time. There is a slightly longer alternate route which I only know about as there is a large signboard at the entrance to the woods that shows it. The sign recommends this route through the woods. Next time I need to try the alternate.

I've been trying to narrow down the location but drawing a blank. It was after the joining of the camino from Lugo, as my last helpers came off that way.

Twenty minutes passed Melide, near Ribadiso de Baixo

Camino de Santiago 230.JPG

You are not alone. I have a specific fear of bridges and anytime I hike locally at Crowder's Mountain, there is a lookout with incredible views. I am always amazed when I hike this mountain and get to the top. I always look over the edge.

The lemming urge to just hurl myself over the edge is always present. I remind myself that my body will not do anything I won't let it do. But the sensation is there and is terrifying. When I look out over the edge, then I also have vertigo so I hold onto to something.

This is a video of a local area attraction about four hours from me. I've camped there but did not hike there and despite all my research, I had no idea there were bridges like these to cross so I plan on using this video to desensitize myself to it. Video: Grandfather Mountain, Mile-High swinging bridge

I had a friend into skydiving. It's on my bucket list, along with ziplining. My love of adventure forces me to face these fears because I remember these moments so much more. I remember every trip to Crowders and the views I never would've seen. But I get it. It's a real feeling, a real sensation. The fear is not the heights. The fear is the hurling.

I have a fear of heights too .. but have a sneaking suspicion that fear of heights is actually fear of jumping .
The lemming urge to just hurl myself over the edge is always present.
I dont know what its called when you have the desire to throw yourself off!
It has a name (HPP - High Place Phenomenon) and you're not crazy.
(Dr. Google is amazing, but there were no answers about how to get across that bridge....)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is. Approaching Portomarin you're going gently downhill and the high bridge is to your right. If you continue straight on you will pick up the yellow arrows again at the next bridge.
Great idea! I am in SdC now, having just walked across those bridges in and out of Portomarín a few days ago. Cross over the “second” bridge to minimize the height.

It's a shame, having this phobia affect your quality of life like that. I recommend trying Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I know you didn't ask for treatment advice, so I apologize if this is unwelcome.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks guys!!
Camina el Caminito del Rey en Malaga,, te cura todo los temores.. garantizado!!!

OH no!!!!! I'm really afraid of heights and I'm going to walk from logroño to burgos very soon and alone. Should I be worried? Should I also take the road route?

@Tucan_learn_english No reason to be worried! If you are walking to Burgos you will not have any problems - there are two Villafrancas, the Pradela route is after the Villafranca del Bierzo, and when you get to it (maybe next time?) you just take the road route out of town. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Tucan_learn_english No reason to be worried! If you are walking to Burgos you will not have any problems - there are two Villafrancas, the Pradela route is after the Villafranca del Bierzo, and when you get to it (maybe next time?) you just take the road route out of town. Buen Camino!
Thanks for clearing that up and your reassurance. I walked from Sjpp to Santiago in 2002 when I was much younger and less fearful, I'm sure I'll be fine. Thanks again

I believe that I have read all the posts in this thread, but I have not come across any post which mentions the challenges which I had in order to get to the bridge. I have walked over this bridge twice, in 2015 and in 2016. On the second occasion, the access to the bridge had been changed. Pedestrians were directed to a path between hedges, which led to a climb down to the entrance of the bridge. And I do mean a climb. This was a steep downward scramble over smooth rock, necessitating the frequent use of both hands, as well as feet. When I finally reached the bottom, near the bridge entrance, I knew that I could not have made it safely if the rock had been wet. I am hoping that this route has again been changed, or at least improved, I wouldn't want to try it again.

I believe that I have read all the posts in this thread, but I have not come across any post which mentions the challenges which I had in order to get to the bridge. I have walked over this bridge twice, in 2015 and in 2016. On the second occasion, the access to the bridge had been changed. Pedestrians were directed to a path between hedges, which led to a climb down to the entrance of the bridge. And I do mean a climb. This was a steep downward scramble over smooth rock, necessitating the frequent use of both hands, as well as feet. When I finally reached the bottom, near the bridge entrance, I knew that I could not have made it safely if the rock had been wet. I am hoping that this route has again been changed, or at least improved, I wouldn't want to try it again.
I think the route you mention is one of two available. There are signs on the trail which direct you to a slightly longer but easier path.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think the route you mention is one of two available. There are signs on the trail which direct you to a slightly longer but easier path.
@Stephen
I am sorry that it is still available. as I found it quite dangerous, and I am not particularly afraid of heights. When I chose to walk it, it seemed to me to be the pedestrian route, and preferable as being shorter, but I was not aware of the details of the walk. DON'T TAKE THIS ROUTE IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF HEIGHTS, OR IT IS RAINING. There may also be an issue of the large number of pilgrims walking this route who are not fluent in Spanish and may not understand the signs.

I have not come across any post which mentions the challenges which I had in order to get to the bridge.
I am confused by all these bridges. I have walked into and out of Portomarin 3 times (once in March and twice in November). I remember only one way to enter - over the high bridge. I think there were 2 routes out, one of which had recently closed as it was unsafe. The route out involved a small bridge at some point.

There are three route options and a signboard (with pictures) on the trail where a decision on route can be made. I personally find the signboard confusing, but I have managed so far to never walk down that steep rocky bit.

Lucky, I guess.

There are two alternatives to get you to the high bridge. As you approach Portomarin you come to a sign which describes the way to the left as steep, rocky, and possibly dangerous when wet. The path here to the right is easier. Both eventually take you to the bridge.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back