• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fear of heights

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello
I suffer of fear of heights
Will this affect me walking the Pyreneeen ?
Thank you for advice
Hi Jan
I don't recall a place that you had to be on the edge of something looking down (though you could walk to the edge of places) on the Napoleon. Some one posted some pictures from the Valcarlos where you are next to a road, on a path with a wood rail, I'll try to find the link...but would that be a problem? It's all road/trail walking, no cliff climbing or anything crazy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sorry but the weather became so bad so quickly that I didn't take many pictures of the road...nothing much to see. I actually like heights, so I'm not a good judge, but I don't recall anything that should scare anyone...and for the most part there was fencing where the road dropped away
ps that last photo is a part of the road I don't recommend you take, and I had no intention of taking...but in my defense did not see the place to turn near the end, and judging from the amount of footprints in the snow, I wasn't alone:)...there is a better road to take...

Attachments

• camino 275.JPG
    camino 275.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • camino 285.JPG
    camino 285.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • camino 291.JPG
    camino 291.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • camino 293.JPG
    camino 293.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
I don 't know how severe is your problem. As I don't suffer this condition (I have others....), I can' t really give an opinion.
The above mentioned photo of the Valcarlos highway section is here. You have to walk between the traffic and the guardrail for an hour, after Valcarlos. But there is not heavy traffic, only some cars and slow trucks now and then. I have never heard of pilgrim accidents there.
Other sections go by a ravine, but the path is quite wide; see here
There is a section in the Napoleon route where the paved road goes by a cliff. It is a wide road, good even for cars and trucks; see photo below.
Whichever you choose, there are not dangerous, hair-raising crossings of sheer cliffs. Common sense caution is, on the other side, recommended, especially with fog or bad weather.
There is another thread dicussing height fears related to Portomarin bridge.
Btw, remember that crossing the Pyrenees is not a duty, or a requisite for a "full Camino". You start wherever you like.
Buen camino!

Attachments

• DSCF3351.JPG
    DSCF3351.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a history panic attacks from heights. The only place I had a concern was crossing over the train tracks entering Astorga. Another peregrina kindly walked with me and kept me distracted.

I was not brave enough for the rooftop tour of the cathedral in Santiago, but I want to try it this coming year.

Avoid the Somport route then, as the pathway does move along a tiny ledge on a cliff face in a couple of places on the French side.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Close to Leon that pedestrian bridge of metal mentioned by WW spans high above several lanes of rushing highway traffic and seems to sway in the wind. Since many pilgrims take a bus into the city I was alone and nervous most of that stretch late November 2013. Happily, however, at the EXACT moment when I needed much moral support to put my foot on the first metal step and move a charming octogenarian French couple appeared and chatting nonchalantly we three crossed the bridge as if all had wings. ...They were, of course,another example of most helpful camino Angels!!

I don't suffer from fear of heights but was uncomfortable on the cathedral rooftop. Wish I had my walking poles with me. Not only is it high but the roof, where one steps, is slanted. There were times I stayed a bit further back to be by a wall.

On the Napoleon route, right after the Virgin's statue, isn't there a barranco to the right? I think I recall a plaque in memory of a Japanese pilgrim who fell there.

Forget the name of the town a couple of days outside Santiago but there is a high bridge you cross over a reservoir and the water was really low. You walk next to the rail and i think that could be challenging for those who don't like heights. The Pyrenees was no problem at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Distraction is a marvellous mechanism to use against phobias . My wonderful German Shorthaired Pointer was a most intelligent and perceptive dog. So clever was he that the sight of water many metres below him when crossing foot bridges reduced him to jelly .
He knew he had no place in such a situation .
The solution was chocolate [ the dog sort ] , small pieces frequently over each bridge . The phobia soon turned into a healthy wariness and dislike , later it became a distant memory .
Try associating heights with something you really like , even if it is just a bar of your favourite chocolate through the Pyrenees .

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am no friend of heights and never found myself with wobbly knees on any part of the route I took. I cannot speak about the Pyrenees as I started my route in Ponferrada. However, it was a good thing that I was with a friend on the bridge into Portomarin. I took no pictures from it (that is I did not stop anywhere on it) and concentrated on what was ahead of me - road, friend - instead of what lay to my left - water far below. There is also a bridge coming into Santiago that is "paved" with wood. I was alone on it and stepped lightly and leerily, and was glad to get to the other side. It did not inspire confidence.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the spring when the water is high, it is just an ordinary bridge. In the fall when the water is very low, it seems much higher. One could probably hitch-hike across if necessary.
Yep the water was very low 3 weeks ago and I was gripping the rail firmly. Think I may have been tempted to use the road but for the traffic.

Last time I was in Portomarín, I had the joy of crossing on the old bridge, the water was so low.

In the Pyrenees (twice) I found myself hugging the opposite side of some (imho) very steep downs. But the paths are fairly wide so I was ok. Re the Portomarin bridge - I will never negotiate it on foot again - twice is enough. Nor will I ever negotiate any of the ways down to the bridge from above - this year there were 3 options - none were safe in my opinion. I will wave down the white taxi that roams around the top and ride in to the town center. Re the wooden bridges coming into Santiago - they are a bit scary partly because they could use some repairs, but not too long nor too high. But the traffic under the 1st one is tough when one isn't used to that much traffic!
If something bothers you, Jan, think of alternatives - like someone mentioned, hitchhiking. Take care, Good luck & Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This drop bothered me on the Route Napoleon.

.View attachment 30365
I walked over the Pyrenees in mid-August 2016 in the fog, so thick I don't remember seeing that drop. However I never lost the trail. I'm not crazy about drop offs either, so try to stay in the middle of the trail, rather than the edge. Talking the Camino, not politics.

I walked over the Pyrenees in mid-August 2016 in the fog, so thick I don't remember seeing that drop. However I never lost the trail. I'm not crazy about drop offs either, so try to stay in the middle of the trail, rather than the edge. Talking the Camino, not politics.
i was thinking the same thing...I didn't recall that area either...but there was snow when I walked...every place I remember a drop there was barbed wire fencing...but heights don't bother me so maybe it just didn't register. I tend to stay near the edge walking, politics I'm more in the middle:rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i was thinking the same thing...I didn't recall that area either...but there was snow when I walked...every place I remember a drop there was barbed wire fencing...but heights don't bother me so maybe it just didn't register. I tend to stay near the edge walking, politics I'm more in the middle:rolleyes:
. I thought the Napoleon trail was closed when it snowed, but now the posted pictures are showing me snow. To me, that might be the edge.

I have a history panic attacks from heights. The only place I had a concern was crossing over the train tracks entering Astorga. Another peregrina kindly walked with me and kept me distracted.

I was not brave enough for the rooftop tour of the cathedral in Santiago, but I want to try it this coming year.
Hello
How would you describe those train tracks ?
Were there only railway tracks and nothing else alongside ?

. I thought the Napoleon trail was closed when it snowed, but now the posted pictures are showing me snow. To me, that might be the edge.
it wasn't supposed to snow until the next day:rolleyes:...and I heard they closed the trail the following day and reopened the day after, but that is rumor only. That's why I say walking in April means being prepared for unexpected weather: snow, rain, or heat...I've heard stories of all three. On some thread somewhere I posted the pictures of my first two days: clear but overcast in SJPdP with reports snow was due the next day on the mountain. Misty at the start, then the storm arrived early with snow and ice, then clear in Roncesvalles, and by morning RV was covered in snow and ice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello
How would you describe those train tracks ? Were there only railway tracks and nothing else alongside ?
I think the reference is to the long and elaborate pedestrian overpass, which zig-zags at a gentle incline to take walkers up and over the railway tracks (seems to add a km to the trip) at the entrance to Astorga. I walked with someone who was uncomfortable with heights but she didn't have any trouble with it. Here is a link to a site with photo of the overpass.

Last edited:
it wasn't supposed to snow until the next day:rolleyes:...and I heard they closed the trail the following day and reopened the day after, but that is rumor only. That's why I say walking in April means being prepared for unexpected weather: snow, rain, or heat...I've heard stories of all three. On some thread somewhere I posted the pictures of my first two days: clear but overcast in SJPdP with reports snow was due the next day on the mountain. Misty at the start, then the storm arrived early with snow and ice, then clear in Roncesvalles, and by morning RV was covered in snow and ice.
Storms ????
I might be blown away !!!!

Storms ????
I didn't have a lot of wind, though some on the forum complained of it...I really don't recall any place where one must walk near an edge, and I think most edges (if not nearly all) have some sort of fence or rail. You can believe @SYates, if she says it was no problem...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yep the water was very low 3 weeks ago and I was gripping the rail firmly. Think I may have been tempted to use the road but for the traffic.
Last time I walked across that bridge, I just walked down the middle of it, sidestepping over if a vehicle came. I never saw it very busy.
I would say if someone has a vertigo issue, and the vehicle traffic is light to nonexistent, then walk across in the lane facing oncoming, and if you see a car, then sidestep over.

Hello
I had totally forgotten this...I don't know if this google earth link will show you
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.454...4!1sk30YotpiMe-Lg_Ga74UDpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
again I don't mind heights so I can't say if this will bother you but in case the link doesn't work I'll try to explain. to cross the track you must climb up a ramp that doubles back on itself, cross over the track on a pedestrian bridge, and go back down. the ramps are wide and have rails blocking the sides, the overpass has a solid wall for several feet and more rails on top. it would be like walking up ramps in a parking garage, but I guess if heights bother you it might...either hold the rail or maybe better to walk in the center of the ramp away from the sides. it is a very wide ramp.

Yes, walking styles are different. I'm from California and love hiking in the Sierra foothills where I live and also the coast. But I like living on the edge, not always looking over it. Now politics, the edge sometimes gives a good view.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Napoleon route from SJPP to Roncesvalles on a clear but very windy day. I could even feel the wind pushing my skinny walking sticks, and gusts could push me off my stride. However, unless you walk a number of metres off the path, you will not be near any cliff-type edge that would be a problem.

Avoid the Somport route then, as the pathway does move along a tiny ledge on a cliff face in a couple of places on the French side.
@JabbaPapa
I walked over the Somport Pass from France in mid. September this year. There were no ledges or cliff faces anywhere on the French side. Perhaps the path was moved since your walk through. There is nothing at all to fear there. The slope is easy, going through forest.

I think the reference is to the long and elaborate pedestrian overpass, which zig-zags at a gentle incline to take walkers up and over the railway tracks (seems to add a km to the trip) at the entrance to Astorga. I walked with someone who was uncomfortable with heights but she didn't have any trouble with it. Here is a link to a site with photo of the overpass.
Thank you
I viewed the photo's
Now I understand the situation !
This won't be any problem to me :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm a wuss and don't like the high bridge into Portomarín - so I would rather walk on the road facing the oncoming traffic, rather than the narrow pedestrian way.
Hello
What is a wuss...
I googled :)
I write down all those possible spots that might bother me !
Thank you !!!

@JabbaPapa
I walked over the Somport Pass from France in mid. September this year. There were no ledges or cliff faces anywhere on the French side. Perhaps the path was moved since your walk through. There is nothing at all to fear there. The slope is easy, going through forest.

I am referring to an earlier stage on the way up from Oloron to the Somport -- the route over the Pass itself hasn't those problems :)

It's true though that the route was undergoing a process of revision back in 2014 ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am referring to an earlier stage on the way up from Oloron to the Somport -- the route over the Pass itself hasn't those problems :)

It's true though that the route was undergoing a process of revision back in 2014 ...
@JabbaPapa
If you are referring to the section of the Defile d'Escot just before Sarrance, this was part of the last few kilometres of my first day's walk from Oloron Ste Marie and a couple of days walking before the Somport Pass. Since I was late for my arrival at the monastery of Sarrance, I did not walk this final section before Sarrance. From there to the Somport Pass, I followed the marked route, and there were no walking challenges, despite some warnings in the CSJ guidebook. In some places, the path has been moved to the opposite side of the river from its previous location.
I do not suffer from fear of heights. The CSJ guide suggests that anyone who has fear of heights or lack of confidence in such a setting should take the valley bus. This can always be an option and I would hope that no one would think that fear of heights makes this route impossible for them.

The CSJ guide suggests that anyone who has fear of heights or lack of confidence in such a setting should take the valley bus.

Right -- because it would be illegal for them to suggest walking on the busy tarmac instead.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello
Thank you for advice
I have a fear of heights, but I had no trouble in the mountains when my feet were on the ground. My trigger was the pedestrian bridges that go over the highways, with traffic zooming by at great speeds. These bridges are outside cities and very safe, but it took all I had to get over them. Mountains--no problem, trails are safe! Good luck!

Hello
Thank you for advice
I too suffer with heights and I have walked bith the Valcarlos and Napolean with no problems at all Buen Viaje

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello
There is an alternative road route into Astorga from the roundabout just before the railway.
Mike C

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back