• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fear of heights

Lightfeet

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal June 2019; Frances Sept 2019;
In June planning to start in Porto and follow the Senda Litoral and combine with the Coastal Route and possibly the Central. Having a fear of heights, is there anything I should be concerned about? Even being on a fairly wide path, if there is a cliff at the edge, I feel very uncomfortable. Thanks for any feedback!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having a fear of heights myself, there are only two places that I can recall. The first is in Porto itself. Crossing the upper bridge can be a bit scary, but it is well worth it for the view. The second was crossing the bridge between Valenca and Tui on the central route. I just focused on the far side and kept moving. The Portuguese routes are wonderful. You will enjoy it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you. I'm NOT good on bridges, if I'm walking near the edge, and especially if there are cars. If it is a bridge with cars, how possible is it to take a taxi over it? I'm not at all adverse to doing that in place of being extremely anxious. By the way, this is my first Camino.

Thank you. I'm NOT good on bridges, if I'm walking near the edge, and especially if there are cars. If it is a bridge with cars, how possible is it to take a taxi over it? I'm not at all adverse to doing that in place of being extremely anxious. By the way, this is my first Camino.

There are a couple of bridges on the Coastal that might cause issues if you aren't good with heights - the bridge at Matosinhos, the bridge at Viana do Castelo and if you head inland at Caminha to Valenca, then the bridge between Valenca and Tui. It might be worth using Google maps and its streetview to have a look at these to see if they are problematic for you. They tend to be longer bridges as they are often over rivers in their tidal sections and can take a bit of time to cross. I would think they could be crossed using buses or taxi as most of them are in urban areas

Thanks so much! This makes me feel better knowing what to expect and that I can probably take taxis or bus.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No cliffs as no mountains on either Central or Coastal from Porto. Yes, some bridges to cross on both ways. Many people start their walk in Porto from Matosinhos, just before the bridge but you could take the metro further if you want and start in Vila do Conde. I think it could be possible to take taxis over all/most of them. Or to find another fellow pigrim, grab him/her by the arm, close your eyes if you must and just trust the universe :) You may not be/walk alone even if you start alone. I once walked for about a couple of hours with my eyes closed and almost asleep while being guided by another pilgrim that I met on the way :) Camino provides :)

In June planning to start in Porto and follow the Senda Litoral and combine with the Coastal Route and possibly the Central. Having a fear of heights, is there anything I should be concerned about? Even being on a fairly wide path, if there is a cliff at the edge, I feel very uncomfortable. Thanks for any feedback!
Me too!

I have a fear of heights, too, but did fine i
On the Portuguese bridges. I mostly just looked ahead and with the special designated walking areas with guardrails and away from the cars I did good. I would not have needed a taxi and I think you should be fine, as well!
Bom Caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back