• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fears

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
I may, or may not, head to SJPDP to walk the CF alone next week.

I’ve posted about the complicated background to this in a previous thread. I’m still undecided. But three questions here…

1) Those of you who’ve previously walked caminos but with partners, or staying in private rooms rather than dorms… how did you find the switch?

2) Any thoughts about the process of feeling fear about a Camino? I mean, I’m used to trepidation and excitement mixed together, and also to the whole idea seeming oddly alien until you actually arrive. But… 30+ days, crossing Spain on foot, alone. I’m not very used to being alone, albeit I’d need to walk alone a lot (long story but I’ll be dictating chapters of a book as I go… if I go).

3) Albergues in smaller, off-stage villages… is it difficult to avoid situations where it’s just two pilgrims in a bedroom together? I’m asking this in particular of the women here, and of people who haven’t ended up walking in groups.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I’ve posted about the complicated background to this in a previous thread. I’m still undecided. But three questions here…

1) Those of you who’ve previously walked caminos but with partners, or staying in private rooms rather than dorms… how did you find the switch?

2) Any thoughts about the process of feeling fear about a Camino? I mean, I’m used to trepidation and excitement mixed together, and also to the whole idea seeming oddly alien until you actually arrive. But… 30+ days, crossing Spain on foot, alone. I’m not very used to being alone, albeit I’d need to walk alone a lot (long story but I’ll be dictating chapters of a book as I go… if I go).

3) Albergues in smaller, off-stage villages… is it difficult to avoid situations where it’s just two pilgrims in a bedroom together? I’m asking this in particular of the women here, and of people who haven’t ended up walking in groups.
It's pretty crowded now so unless you are staying in private rooms or going off stages I doubt you will be alone in dorms.

You may walk alone but it isn't exactly trailblazing. It's a well traveled route that often cuts through villages etc.

Also don't think of it as 30 days of crossing Spain - the vastness can be overwhelming. Think of it as walking 20-25km a day. One day at a time. Set finite goals.

I'll answer 2 and 3- the camino frances is quite social, and the times I wanted someone to walk with generally I found someone, but is also easy to find space to walk alone. In fact walking solo made it easier to interact with others. And though I was never a camino family type person, I met so many different people that it was a rare bar or albergue on the CF that i didn't recognise someone.
It would be very rare to share a dorm with just one person on the CF. I think even walking in winter it never happened to me. If you uncomfortable with a situation say something and also have a little emergency money to splurge on a private room.

Finally, why not go and try? If it doesn't work out, then bailout and go somewhere else for a few days - beach, city... nearly every town has a bus! But as a solo female I've enjoyed walking on caminos, sure there have been issues, incidents and problems, but overcoming brings a sense of achievement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm surprised that you and your partner have not made a decision on this by now after all the many replies/input that was generated when you contemplated this walk alone and asked for input.
Good luck in whatever you decide and if you go alone, please post a bit on the forum on how it is going for you. Since you have walked a Camino before, I think you have a good idea what you may experience, even if alone. You will probably connect more often with other walkers and be enriched from those interactions.

Last edited:
On two occasions when walking the camino 'off season' I've experienced sharing a dorm with just one other pilgrim of the opposite sex. In the first instance, the peregrino was very thoughtful and sensitive and there was absolutely no problem. In the second instance I was unhappy and had some concerns. So I put Plan B (always have one) into operation and simply found somewhere else to stay. I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm surprised that you and your partner have not made a decision on this by now after all the many replies/input that was generated when you contemplated this walk alone and asked for input.
Good luck in whatever you decide and if you go alone, please post a bit on the forum on how it is going for you. Since you have walked a Camino before, I think you have a good idea what you may experience, even if alone. You will probably connect more often with other walkers and be enriched from those interactions.
We have gone round and round and round. I’ve never found myself so conflicted about anything in my life! I am serious. It feels pivotal to me, somehow. But the above questions are quite different to my previous ones, and I’ve asked them because they’re the ones I need to focus on right now, before I pull the trigger and book flights… or don’t. Thanks for responding.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve never found myself so conflicted about anything in my life! I am serious.
Then you should probably go, in order to take care of this conflict. If it turns out to be unproductive or uncomfortable, it would be easy and totally reasonable to abandon it and go back home.

I’ve asked them because they’re the ones I need to focus on right now
Certainly these questions can lead to interesting discussions, but I don't see how you can expect any answers that will change your decision-making outcome. You have been there, so you know what to expect from the Camino. The rest is related to what you can expect from yourself, and only you know that.

1) Those of you who’ve previously walked caminos but with partners, or staying in private rooms rather than dorms… how did you find the switch? - The answer is, inevitably, that some will find it wonderful, some will find it difficult, and most will find it fairly uneventful.

2) Any thoughts about the process of feeling fear about a Camino? I mean, I’m used to trepidation and excitement mixed together, and also to the whole idea seeming oddly alien until you actually arrive. But… 30+ days, crossing Spain on foot, alone. I’m not very used to being alone, albeit I’d need to walk alone a lot (long story but I’ll be dictating chapters of a book as I go… if I go). - Again there is no answer. We all get nervous or anxious when we try something new, and our individual reactions are very different. But once you know the Camino, it is not generally a fear-inducing place or experience.

3) Albergues in smaller, off-stage villages… is it difficult to avoid situations where it’s just two pilgrims in a bedroom together? I’m asking this in particular of the women here, and of people who haven’t ended up walking in groups. - It is not too likely that you will find yourself in a room with a single random stranger, but if you do, there is no magic trick for handling it. How to avoid it? Look around when you arrive, and judge the situation.

It was different, but I like just having to look after myself. When I took my husband I had to look out for him. He took too much gear and spread it around the place, so he would be a poor candidate for albergue life.
Its quite nice just having yourself to think about. I discovered that I quite like albergues, the communal living didn't bother me like I thought it might. And I had no problem getting to sleep.
I used albergues for my first Camino, so it was my first experience, it might feel different if the situation was reversed,
I didnt feel fear - tiredness sometimes, but not fear. I walked in September when you are planning - so its quite busy, lots of people about. We formed a Camino family early on, didn't walk together but stayed in the same places.
This really didnt happen as I booked in the dormitory. I was always in a room with lots of people. Plus September was busy, there were always other people about. We had a small group of 6 and a wider group of about 20. I found I knew a lot of people. I did book a hostel or hotel room once a week or so and shared, but by that time I knew people well.
I didnt expect to be part of a Camino family, it just happened organically. I tend naturally to be an introvert, so I was surprised to make friends so easily. I think it happens as you all feel some trepidation in the first day or so, but all have the same goal.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are asking.
I've walked alone and with others.
Both are good.

2) Any thoughts about the process of feeling fear about a Camino?
@Lhollo, you know what you're in for, so see if you can find away not to overthink it.
Just because there is fear doesn't mean you need to do anything differently going forward. Learn how to be with the simplicity of the physical sensations rather than dwelling of whatever stories it's telling you - which only make the fear stronger. Ignore the content and feel the feeling - without doing anything with it.
And consider the strong feelings you're experiencing may not actually be about the camino at all.

On the Frances right now it's really unlikely you'll encounter this kind of situation. You may be in a bunkroom that's not full, perhaps, but you'll be with more than one other person. The only time this has happened to me is on less traveled routes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You will not find an albergue with fewer than three people in it in August and September this year on the Camino Frances.

Hi Lindsey!
You know i walked alone and you know my limitations!

Here's my 2 cents worth.
(i haven't experienced walking with a partner/other person don't think i want to.
I am walking Frances May alone again cos it will be my Camino. (still using P/rooms but as many as i can find in Albergues; i want the communal feel this time)

Your walk will be yours's and that i think is what you want from it. (no worries about your partner: are they tired, bored, hungry, is the room Ok etc etc etc)

I did however tear myself apart with the same anxiety and fear of going it alone; i so wanted to go but was terrified of the things i might encounter that i couldn't overcome.
I convinced myself several times not to go; and then realised that if I didn't go i would never have the answer and wonder what i missed.

Don't let the fear defeat you.
I don't think you appreciate how strong you are!

I only finished my Camino because of all those pilgrims that helped me..
Have a plan B if it doesn't work for you!
Finally, why not go and try? If it doesn't work out, then bailout and go somewhere else for a few days - beach, city... nearly every town has a bus! But as a solo female I've enjoyed walking on caminos, sure there have been issues, incidents and problems, but overcoming brings a sense of achievement.
Your decision as always!.(your doing it not us)
All the best
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Each camino is not only a walk of personal thanksgiving, but also a test of our tenacity and endurance.
We must consider the topography, the weather, our health, our pack, plus strength in difficulty as well as endurance.
To pass such a test one needs to be prepared both physically and mentally, then take a deep breath and do it.

Good luck and Carpe diem.

The best advice I can give is that fear is not a brick wall, it's a feeling and it is up to you to decide whether you can go or not. You can't do 30 days of anything and have every day be perfect. You're lucky if you get 30 mins of perfect most of the time. You will be alone and there will be times you will hate it and times you love it and most of the time it won't bother you either way because you're too busy getting to the next town. But it won't be fatal, it'll be uncomfortable. Realistically, the worst thing that could happen is you reach the end and you didn't enjoy it. Fear is a natural, rational feeling but it is only a feeling like being cold or being tired and only you can decide whether or not it's your mind being truthful or lying to you. Just because it's your voice in your head doesn't mean it won't lie.

I personally prefer walking alone so I can start when I want, stop when I want, and do what I want.
2) Any thoughts about the process of feeling fear about a Camino? I mean, I’m used to trepidation and excitement mixed together, and also to the whole idea seeming oddly alien until you actually arrive. But… 30+ days, crossing Spain on foot, alone. I’m not very used to being alone, albeit I’d need to walk alone a lot (long story but I’ll be dictating chapters of a book as I go… if I
You won't be alone. The Camino is very busy and there will be pilgrims ahead and behind you from the first day you start. You'll make friends the first night so if you WANT walking partners, you'll find them easily. If you want to walk alone, there will be people ahead and behind you if you DO need any help. No worries.
There are several albergues where 2 pilgrims are in a room together, which is actually preferred by some for a better night's sleep. Those I can think of offhand are at Cacabellos, Ponferrada, and Azofra. Generally, in my experience, in these places they will place women together if asked. And by the time you reach these places, you will probably have made friends who can room with you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi there. I don't know how much that I can help here are my thoughts - it's what this forum is for, no?

1) Definitely cannot help here. I have always wanted to stay in albergues and really only opted for private hostals or smaller rooms where there has been no alternative. For me, it is an integral part of the experience, but then I realise that I am writing as a guy and that it can be different for females.

2) Seriously the notion of being alone on the CF (especially this year) is laughable. The numbers are staggering. In my experience, the vast majority of peregrinos are open minded and open-hearted and are always looking to make a connection with people and to give succour where and when it is needed. I seem to remember that you have done the Camino before but with your partner and I can understand how inward looking that can make the experience. Everyone walks at the their own speed so you can do your narration on the hoof and then at the end of the day you can rejoin your little tribe and relax.

3)I refer you to my first and second answers. If you are going to stay in albergues this is unanswerable. Again with the pressure on accommodation this year the chances of finding yourself alone or only accompanied by one other person must be tiny. I really hope that you can make yourself go. Buen Camino.

Last edited:

Beware analysis paralysis and worry scurry. It’s a lovely soft adventure in a safe civilized country. Many worries will not manifest and most of the others will resolve themselves. Go, have an Albariño and walk it off. 🙏

I felt the same way mixed feeling about doing it. I had known no one in my circle or life that had ever attempted something like this or would even consider it. I am extremely introverted and do not like groups in any way or form and the idea of crowded Albergues had me worried. I always felt safe and I walked a lot predawn in the dark, but I understand women may feel somewhat different. I met a lady riding the bus from downtown Santiago to the airport in Santiago we were heading home. She was a lady about 60 from Saskatchewan and she said she had walked it totally alone, had no issues and just loved it. The trail to me is magic. I felt it. To me it was a blessing to walk alone. Buen Camino and good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi Lindsey
”Feel the gear and do it anyway”
This “saying” might well apply to you in this instance and you have had some great replies to your questions

Last October , I had a notion regarding walking the Ingles…himself didn’t want to walk
I already had the Brierley book which I’d just skimmed over…skimmed being the operative word here!
Booked the flight 2 days before and off I went, never having walked on my own before
Realising that morning that the Ingles might be a tad too isolated for me I still went off….in a bit of a state mind you and wondering …on the plane this time what I’d let myself in for, and yes, I did feel afraid
Over a cup of tea onboard I decided to get the bus to Sarria and walk back
I didn’t even have a book, just got everything from Gronze and only stayed in pensions and Hostals

walking from Sarria, I never once felt afraid, even though there were some very quiet sections.
Generally though there was always someone within shouting distance

I loved every moment of the walk and think it won’t be long until I get the notion of walking by myself again
PS we did walk the Ingles together in March

Why not just go and see what happens
If you don’t feel safe and the conditions aren’t to your liking then you can always stop

Right now, you have a dilemma, but if you let Tuesday go by without going, then you might just regret it and you’ll still have a dilemma

I've walked four caminos, never had a guide book, never booked accommodation, never used gps," solo siguió las flechas amarillas" maybe got lost a few times but if you have the time who cares you get there in the end, its all part of the experience like being in albergues some with cold water showers some that are quite luxurious and the snorers etc. Just go with the flow!!! Live life!

1) The first time I walked the Frances, I used private rooms with a friend. I was 62, she 57. Both very healthy with no medications or issues. I really cannot recall having any fears about doing it. I am sure it was because I only had one month between learning about the Camino and actually doing it. That month between was very busy and I did not have any time to read the blogs or forums to learn much about it. Had I done so I probably would have been scared out of my mind and may have backed out. Sooooo glad that I didn't. I would not trade the experience for anything. I must admit though, I was a bit concerned about keeping up with my friend who was an avid camper, hiker, and runner. I, on the other hand walked a few miles a couple of times a week. (Imagine my surprise when I blew her socks off. But I digress. Story for another day.)
The second time I did the Frances, I did it solo. I used albergues but mostly private rooms (some in albergues). Easy transition but a bit lonely sometimes.
2) You will only be as alone as you choose to be (depending on the time of year). I did fall and spring and there was always someone on the trail to give me a "buen camino". When I took alternative routes there was fewer people but I used it as a time for contemplation and reflection.
3) I think it will be easy to do this. There are rarely situations where there are just two people in a room unless you book private.

You will be fine. Buen Camino!

I can't answer Q1.
Q2, I don't quite get it. I am travelling alone, and it's my choice whether or not I socialise. I am staying at albergues. I could easily stay in a corner with earphones on, or I can chat with people around me. In other words, you can be as alone or accompanied as you want to be. The same goes when walking. If you're busy dictating your book you might not even notice the people around you, and they will leave you alone. I think your fear in this regard will quickly disappear if you decide to go.
Q3: I was in Villatuerta about a week ago. I was the only guest at the albergue when I arrived, and there were no reservations. The owner didn't expect anyone else and I was happy to have the whole room to myself. But a male pilgrim turned up later, and we were in the same room. It didn't bother me at all. But if you have concerns, you can talk with the hospitalero/a and ask if they already have more than 1 person in before you confirm. In my case, the hospitalero lived upstairs with his family, so that could give you peace of mind, that you could call for help in the unlikely case you might need it.

I’m absolutely terrified myself!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's pretty crowded now so unless you are staying in private rooms or going off stages I doubt you will be alone in dorms.

You may walk alone but it isn't exactly trailblazing. It's a well traveled route that often cuts through villages etc.

Also don't think of it as 30 days of crossing Spain - the vastness can be overwhelming. Think of it as walking 20-25km a day. One day at a time. Set finite goals.
I am also traveling alone. At the moment, I am not scared or nervous. I am beginning the walk August 30th. I would love to have a friend to walk with, but I feel there will be plenty of people to tag along with. If you look at the busiest months on the Camino, September is one of them. Somewhere online I saw a diagram of how busy the camino is by month. I had hoped that September would be NOT so busy. No such luck. Wish you were leaving later. We could walk together.

With regards to Q3. I walked alone this past Apr/May, my 1st Camino, and I did stay in a few albergues where there was only 1 other in my room. Two come to mind, in Villares de Orbigo (Alb. El Encante, very pretty) and Cacabelos (Alb St James Way, where google maps lead me up the garden path looking for it when it was right under my nose). The latter was with a male in a room that had 4 beds and it's own bathroom. I'm 61, he was in his 20's, a shy Korean, I had seen him on the walk. We quickly sorted out showering and sleeping arrangements, what time each was getting up in the morning etc I never felt uncomfortable. I was doing my best to make him feel comfortable! There were other rooms in the albergue that held more people, and possibly single/double rooms from memory. I chose one with 4 beds because of fewer people and the price, so you may have the option of changing rooms if unhappy. I found most albergues would do their best to put you in a room with other woman. Buen Camino

We have gone round and round and round. I’ve never found myself so conflicted about anything in my life! I am serious. It feels pivotal to me, somehow. But the above questions are quite different to my previous ones, and I’ve asked them because they’re the ones I need to focus on right now, before I pull the trigger and book flights… or don’t. Thanks for responding.
Just do it and have your Plan B. But go, and figure things out while you’re on the Camino. Don’t overthink it while still at home. You can never have all the answers in advance and your previous experience will aid you in your decision making while on the Camino. As for being alone, I did the Francés in May-June and was alone until León, when a friend joined me for the remaining legs to Santiago. I returned home feeling like I still wanted and needed more alone time. I rarely walked alone and practically never ate alone. I didn’t have a Camino Family per se, but crisscrossed paths with a few other Pilgrims and had meals and coffee stops with them, randomly, here and there. For me, the beauty of the Camino and traveling solo was the option to walk alone during the day, yet never be physically far from other pilgrims on the way, which offered comfort and a feeling of safety as a solo woman—and then have a built-in social life, if you wanted it, at the end of each day in the albergues. I found I ended up walking a portion of every single day with someone. As lovely as that was, I actually didn’t quite get my full fix of solitude and contemplation. There’s another Camino in my future for that reason, among others.

I know that an update here is overdue…
I imagine some of you will be disappointed to know that I decided not to go back to walk the CF, but to stay here in the UK… for now. I will go at some point, and walk the CF, or a different Way, alone.
Fears are a complicated business. I became aware that although I had residual fears about mostly logistical aspects of walking the CF alone, in some ways, I was more afraid of staying… in case I didn't work through things here in the ways I need to, and in case I couldn't get the book written. Maybe the Camino would have been the best solution to both of those. I can't know. I also don't think it would have been good for my partner, right now, for me to go, although he did his best to support me. It will be different in future, when we'd have more time to adjust to the idea.
I don't fully understand what happened to me during those four weeks of indecision. It reached the point at which I had everything ready to go—backpack completely packed and waiting upstairs, all my work organised so I could continue with it remotely, transport fully researched—and all I had to do was click Buy on the flight. I kept looking at the flights, right up to the payment window, but just couldn't do it. I've never felt like this before. I'm usually very grounded, but felt almost possessed by the idea I had to return, and actually weepy a lot of the time, which also isn't like me. I ended up writing about the whole malarkey, and the writing really helped; I felt better after that.
Anyway, if any of you are interested, I'll be posting a video to my Youtube channel tonight, in which I show what I'll be doing instead over the next month (spoiler: wild camping) and talk in some detail about what's been going on with this 'Camino Dilemma' business.
Thank you, so much, to all of you who've been in touch, and replied here. I'm sorry I went a bit MIA in the past fortnight. I wasn't in the best of places.
🙏 🙏 🙏

I am also traveling alone. At the moment, I am not scared or nervous. I am beginning the walk August 30th. I would love to have a friend to walk with, but I feel there will be plenty of people to tag along with. If you look at the busiest months on the Camino, September is one of them. Somewhere online I saw a diagram of how busy the camino is by month. I had hoped that September would be NOT so busy. No such luck. Wish you were leaving later. We could walk together.
I hope your Camino is wonderful, and am pretty sure it will be! I'd look forward to updates, if you post them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Will you manage your sleep system on a top bunk if that is the only option?
Just to address this, which I hadn't answered!… Yes, my sleep system is self-supporting so I'll be fine to sleep anywhere, so long as there's at least a bit of headroom.

Anyway, if any of you are interested, I'll be posting a video to my Youtube channel tonight, in which I show what I'll be doing instead over the next month (spoiler: wild camping) and talk in some detail about what's been going on with this 'Camino Dilemma' business.
I am interested, but I am not aware of your Youtube channel although I am sure you must have posted it before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hope that you figured out what you were trying to walk away from, and hope to read more from you in the future. Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back