• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feast of St James

tabbyCat

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2017, July 2022
I am planning to walk the Camino from middle of June to middle of July. Do you advise that I delay a bit so that I can arrive in Santiago de Compostela for July 25 Feast of St James? thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to walk the Camino from middle of June to middle of July. Do you advise that I delay a bit so that I can arrive in Santiago de Compostela for July 25 Feast of St James? thank you

The city-wide celebration including splendid fireworks usually begins on the night of July 24. Don't miss it!

My last camino, my intention was to avoid that day - crowds and such stress me out. But in the last couple of weeks, we were on pace to make it on the 24th, so we went for it. The plaza that evening is a madhouse, and barricaded in - once you're in, you can't leave, and no bathrooms. Instead, we went up to Alameda Park - which also hosted a carnival, with music, street food and rides - and sat on the hill to watch the fireworks over the cathedral.

It was wonderful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As Falcon states, if you do attend book your accommodation well in advance, I got caught short one year!

I have been working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago for the past several years around the feast of Santiago on 25 July. I can tell you from experience that you MUST book a room in advance.

If you show up in town without a confirmed reservation, you will NOT likely find a room anywhere near downtown. You MIGHT be able to find a space at Monte de Gozo, or the Albergue Seminario Menor (out of town), but everything inside the old town will be GONE.

Consider that the Feast of Santiago is a big deal because it is both the feast day for the city's namesake; PLUS, Santiago is the patron saint of the entire nation of Spain. So, they pull out all the stops. The fireworks go off at midnight on the 24th, leading into the official feast day on the 25th. Shops and services are, for the most part closed. Cafes and restaurants are open. Markets are NOT.

The city is mobbed, both with pilgrims who want to receive a Compostela on the saint's feast day (Yes, the pilgrim office is open), and hundreds of thousands of tourists, politicians, and the necessary security and police folks. Further, if the King of Spain decides to participate in the High Mass, and related activities, the number of visitors is even greater.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back