• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feature in Guardian about Camino da Geira

Time of past OR future Camino
From Braga to Santiago.
The Guardian just published a short article of their readers Top 10 places to visit in Portugal and the winning tip is the Geira Way which they describe as the "walk to Spain on a roman road "!

"If you want something out of the ordinary with fantastic scenery and fascinating history, then go to Terras de Bouro in the far north of the country. This town is well worth a visit because it offers the chance to walk along a Roman road complete with original milestones. The Via Geira was built to link Braga with Astorga, now in Spain. It is signposted within Terras de Bouro. The trail winds through woodland and round mountains with spectacular views, waterfalls and, of course, the milestones. It goes through the Peneda-Gerês national park to Portela de Homem on the Spanish border. It’s magical "

I attach a link to the full article.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If Spain is open for US peregrinos this fall, I will probably walk this route! Fingers crossed as many times as possible.

And if anyone takes up the Guardian’s suggestion for a more sustained visit to the park, I highly recommend staying in the town of Geres for a few nights. It’s an old spa town, compete with faded old spa hotel, which we very much enjoyed.

We took a lot of nice walks, but our favorite was on the east side of the park to Pitoes das Junias, where we walked out to the monastery in ruins and a waterfall, no more than 2-3 km each way, complete with partial cloister and Romanesque doorway. It’s in a beautiful spot right by a river.

I notice on the camino website debragaasantiago.com there is a guidebook published in English for this route.
Does anyone know how to get this and have it delivered to the UK. Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I notice on the camino website debragaasantiago.com there is a guidebook published in English for this route.
It is available on Amazon, both in Spain and in the US, but not on Amazon UK. So I guess you would have to buy it on the Spain site and expect to pay a bit more postage.

The Guardian just published a short article of their readers Top 10 places to visit in Portugal and the winning tip is the Geira Way which they describe as the "walk to Spain on a roman road "!

"If you want something out of the ordinary with fantastic scenery and fascinating history, then go to Terras de Bouro in the far north of the country. This town is well worth a visit because it offers the chance to walk along a Roman road complete with original milestones. The Via Geira was built to link Braga with Astorga, now in Spain. It is signposted within Terras de Bouro. The trail winds through woodland and round mountains with spectacular views, waterfalls and, of course, the milestones. It goes through the Peneda-Gerês national park to Portela de Homem on the Spanish border. It’s magical "
This looks spectacular. On my list!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For others who might be geographically challenged, it's this:

Screenshot_20210517-165641_Gallery.jpg
And:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-da-geira-e-dos-arrieiros-oficial-69939894 (Camiño da Geira e dos Arrieiros (OFICIAL)) at #wikiloc

Edit - looking at that website, I see they also sell a heritage guide, in Galician (though it looks like it it is not avalable electronically):

Last edited:
Both the website and the videos stress that a good chunk of this route has not yet been marked. So a GPS is essential, unless you have @VN’s map-reading skills.

These are the official tracks, which I see VN has also linked:

For others who might be geographically challenged, it's this:

View attachment 100320
And:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-da-geira-e-dos-arrieiros-oficial-69939894 (Camiño da Geira e dos Arrieiros (OFICIAL)) at #wikiloc

Edit - looking at that website, I see they also sell a heritage guide, in Galician (though it looks like it it is not avalable electronically):
Yes I've got both the English Guide which is a bit basic and the maps are real simple but for now it's better than nothing and the heritage Guide which is excellent as it's got a great list of heritage sites that you pass with photos. I got mine in person from @Carlos da Barreira.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So a GPS is essential, unless you have @VN’s map-reading skills.
Essential full stop, from the sound of it. ;)

heritage Guide which is excellent as it's got a great list of heritage sites that you pass with photos. I got mine in person from @Carlos da Barreira.
It really sounds worth getting, for those planning to walk this route.

Guidebook appears to be on amazon's UK site now:

Ivar tried to get it for his forum shop but they did not reply, They are giving out updated wikiloc readings for some of the stages so it might or might not mean there is an updated book on the way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It sure is..check these videos that have just been issued :

Thank you very much for these videos I also enjoyed the languages (rural and normative Galician and Portuguese).
I learnt that there is a river Deva (goddess name) like in Cantabria and that the name Arrieiros comes from the people who carried Ribeiro wine from Ribadavia to the rest of Galicia.
On one video it is said that the cathedral government (Cabildo) has already made this Camiño official. Is it because "Geira Arrieiros" is an international Camiño? I ask this because in the case of "Camiño do Mar de Ribadeo" is the Xunta de Galicia who has to approve it..

Yes that's right ever since the 11th Century they have been exporting wine from Ribeiro (documented that from Gomariz the wine was transported using mules to Pontevedra, Baiona, Redondela etc via the Ports to UK and elsewhere).

The Braga Camino is an important, historical route,an alternative way for pilgrims travelling from Portugal to Santiago. Braga is one of the points of Portugal most linked to the history of Santiago de Compostela, we certainly can't say the same of the coastal camino from Ribadeo in relation to links between Spanish places and Santiago!!

I am sure we will be hearing alot more about the importance of the Braga camino, its history and culture and its relation with other caminos like the Portuguese caminos, Ruta de la Plata, Camino de San Rosendo, the Arreiros Ways...It certainly deserves attention and it transgresses UNESCO sites, a National Park, the whole of the wine producing area of Ribeiro and incredible architectural/historic sites and stunning landscapes.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back