• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feb / March 2018

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know it's cold and scary then (ha), just seeing if anybody else is going that time frame? I've done it in 30 days from SJPP in the summer, so I'm going to add on some R&R / bad weather days and take my time...aiming for 37-40 days. Cheers from Los Angeles!

Welcome to the Forum!

Winter is a wonderful time to walk but you must be prepared.
To begin your research/planning do check the helpful posts/links in this recent forum thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-winter-advice.51183/

Stay safe and Buen camino!

Cold, yes - Scary, no! I'm off on Jan 10th and will probably post a few observations as I make my way across. There are usually a few miscues insofar as closed Albergues so may be helpful for you in the following month. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I know it's cold and scary then (ha), just seeing if anybody else is going that time frame? I've done it in 30 days from SJPP in the summer, so I'm going to add on some R&R / bad weather days and take my time...aiming for 37-40 days. Cheers from Los Angeles!
I will be landing at CDG feb11/18, SJPP that day or the next ( depends on the trains ). I am taking 45 days total (with travel ), with that in mind nothing written in stone.

I'm here now and so impatient to come back! I'd rather do it without extreme weather though! I was hoping April would warm up but not too rainy??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Three new members on the forum, and all planning to walk in winter. Welcome @caminomatt90068, @Bill Anthony and @Amioco. I hope the forum is useful and there are plenty of members who will have the right answers to your questions.

Please do keep us informed on how you are going.

I'm here now and so impatient to come back! I'd rather do it without extreme weather though! I was hoping April would warm up but not too rainy??
I've started all three of my Caminos, 2015, 2016, & 2017 around April 12th. They all had mostly delightful weather overall and very few rainy days. Hopefully you will have similar when you go. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like we'll be just behind you. Flying into Pamplona on February 28th, and leaving SJPP March 2nd or 3rd.

Hoping for nice weather and minimal mud, but preparing for whatever the Camino throws our way.

Three new members on the forum, and all planning to walk in winter. Welcome @caminomatt90068, @Bill Anthony and @Amioco. I hope the forum is useful and there are plenty of members who will have the right answers to your questions.

Hallo guys, my name is Lomon from Greece. I also plan to walk the Camino in February or March 2018. Maybe we could meet up and walk together?

Bonjour
Just arrive on this app/forum
I start my Camino next Monday 6th Nov 2017 from Lourdes-France... plan to walk till Burgos.

Francois

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I am going in April. Doing the northern route. I love the north coast

Via Valcarlos i hope
There is a section in this weeks forum about the closure of Route Napoleon until 31/3/18

I will be landing at CDG feb11/18, SJPP that day or the next ( depends on the trains ). I am taking 45 days total (with travel ), with that in mind nothing written in stone.

Over the top will be closed Bill, via Valcarlos is beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've definitely heard about the mud...especially when going up or down hills. I think walking sticks are a must...and I'm not usually a fan of them. I like that saying..."warm pilgrims / cold albergues". Just more of a reason to treat yourself right when you can, ha.

Bill / Lomon - I may in in SJPP around the same time. Let's stay in touch. Misery loves company, lol.

Hallo guys, my name is Lomon from Greece. I also plan to walk the Camino in February or March 2018. Maybe we could meet up and walk together?

Looks like there is a train from Paris to SJPP that leaves in the morning...7:28 AM - 1:10 PM
Will most likely spend the night in Paris and then catch that train down...

Bill / Lomon - I may in in SJPP around the same time. Let's stay in touch. Misery loves company, lol.

looks like I will be in SJPP feb 11/18, overnighting in Bayonne. Been hiking with a walking staff and trekking poles, trekking pole seem to be more comfortable, this is the first time I have used them. It is a pleasant surprise how comfortable they are. It is a knock to myself image, but 7 hrs a day 40 days, comfort wins.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I set off from Astorga 24th February.....anyone else? Looking forward to "a different kind of Camino"!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anyone had any experience with crampons?
Should it be something to consider when walking the CF, from mid-February?

Has anyone had any experience with crampons?
Should it be something to consider when walking the CF, from mid-February?

I've definitely used crampons, but don't think we'll need them on the Camino...the Picos de Europa maybe. I preparing more for cold mud.

I've definitely used crampons, but don't think we'll need them on the Camino...the Picos de Europa maybe. I preparing more for cold mud.
Thanks @caminomatt90068 I was a little worried after I read a post about needing them for winter on the Camino. I had not heard of them before.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It might be a wrong call on my part, but for the first time on any Camino to cover snow/ice/mud possibilities I will be packing Yaktrax Icegrips for my boots plus gaiters. There are stretches on what I'm planning to walk that I feel might well have ice/compacted snow. The Yaktrax are light weight and packed easily (no aggressive "teeth" or spikes) and can be carried with in-flight cabin baggage. They may stay in my backpack the whole way, but I personally took the view that it would be good to have them with me.

Yaktrax are a great idea! One of the hidden dangers of walking on snow in winter can be hidden patches of slick ice as per chance seen in this 2008 photo near San Juan Ortega. Yaktrax would offer an additional grip. Were I to walk again in winter they would be a must!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Attachments

• 2004 2.JPG
    2004 2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 32
Your great picture - thanks yes, that's what I'm "sort of" hoping for , when I mentioned in my earlier post ".. a different kind of Camino". Actually, if I think about it, all seven Caminos I've done have been "different" and, without exception, "Special".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok thank you @caminomatt90068 @mspath @Chris Day

From brief research, there are a few Yaktrax.

Yaktrax Pro - 145-155grams
Yaktrax Icetrekkers diamond grip - 340g
Yaktrax XTR - 450g

I really have no idea on these as it only snows here a few times a year. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Great to see you are asking questions and doing the research. I went to a hiking store today to look at them, thoughtful design and large displays. The sales staff have high opinion of the Yaktrax.
Hello @Bill Anthony
Which Yaktrax did they recommend?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Chaya - Yaktrax Pro is the variant that I've gone with as they seem to do the job, with good weight and packed volume. It is well reviewed and I viewed a couple of YouTube videos of them in use, which convinced me. They also have an additional strap around the arch of the boot, preventing detatchment and loss in deep snow.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've definitely heard about the mud...especially when going up or down hills. I think walking sticks are a must...and I'm not usually a fan of them. I like that saying..."warm pilgrims / cold albergues". Just more of a reason to treat yourself right when you can, ha.

I'm thinking of starting early February. Keep me posted.

Matt ... Cheers from Temecula!

Due to limited time available, I'll be starting February 13th from Ponferrada to SdC.

Great place to start as there's a direct train from Madrid, but man, those next two days are going to be long if your legs aren't strong. If you aren't up-to-speed strength-wise, you can always get somebody to ferry your bag to O'Cebreiro. Discretion is the better part of valor and you don't want to implode on Day 2, lol.

Buen Camino.

I'll be starting February 13th from Ponferrada to SdC.

And having a short day to Cacabelos i hope which has a few nice hotels , one with an exceptional restaurant.
Its only 16 km and not the most picturesque at the start .
Keep well

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I am starting in mid/late Feb and have 7.5 weeks to do it, should I choose/need!

Hi @Michelle Kas
What a blessing to have 7.5 weeks. Time to explore and rest when needed. There are 3 of us on this thread leaving on 12 Feb. Maybe we'll see you along the way!
Buen Camino!

Hi @Michelle Kas
What a blessing to have 7.5 weeks. Time to explore and rest when needed. There are 3 of us on this thread leaving on 12 Feb. Maybe we'll see you along the way!
Buen Camino!

Yes! I will have just finished up at my job and before a major move, so I thought what better time. I plan to leave SJPDP on 19 or 20 Feb, so I'll be a week behind ye. Still though, you never know with the Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There's a good chance I'll be going in mid to late February, so I may see some of you out there. If I do go, I need to get a move on with buying footwear, clothing etc and plane tickets. Will try and stay in the albergues, but I'll see how it goes, not sure I can do without heating or hot water, plus, I'm a light sleeper.

Yes! I will have just finished up at my job and before a major move, so I thought what better time. I plan to leave SJPDP on 19 or 20 Feb, so I'll be a week behind ye. Still though, you never know with the Camino!
Congratulations on the BIG move @Michelle Kas !!! And what a fantastic time to walk!
You are right. Only a week ahead, you never know with the Camino. You meet the most amazing people ;)

Going on thur next. Exited yes planning no. But should be ok. I have up 2 18 days for this leg.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Really jacked up my toe (lost a lot of the nail and it's a big gross mess) which has set me back a bit, but I'm planning on flying out of here next Monday or Tuesday (I always buy one way tix last minute, lol) to Madrid and then bus it to Pamplona. Will probs start there as I probs shouldn't be doing the SJPP up and down bit. I probably should wait a couple months, but I really want to do the Camino again when it's less crowded, so it's now or never. If any of you will be in the Pamplona area next week, message me. Cheers.

Really jacked up my toe (lost a lot of the nail and it's a big gross mess) which has set me back a bit, but I'm planning on flying out of here next Monday or Tuesday (I always buy one way tix last minute, lol) to Madrid and then bus it to Pamplona. Will probs start there as I probs shouldn't be doing the SJPP up and down bit. I probably should wait a couple months, but I really want to do the Camino again when it's less crowded, so it's now or never. If any of you will be in the Pamplona area next week, message me. Cheers.

A friend and I will be starting from Pamplona on the 24th.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back